• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Hey guys,

I'm new here. My boyfriend loves this game, what is the best game in the series? I bought him the compilation on Wii and I think 2001/2002 on PS2. I saw the new Guilty Gear Xrd sign game and that looks similar. I try to get hom to play other games but it seems he just likes fighters. Maybe I can get hom MvC3 Ultimate?

Welcome Midnight Moon. KOF XIII is arguably the best of the KOF series, and one of the best fighters out now. GGXrd might be another game he'll like; it's something I'm looking forward to too. Before you get him MvC3 Ultimate, see if he has played/liked other Marvel versus games in the past (MVC2 being the most popular).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So I played my first Local KoF XIII Tourney at my local anime Con (Animazement) this past weekend... First round was too easy, my opponent disappeared for my next round, and after waiting a bunch of minutes, and borrowing a PS3 stick... and THEN waiting like 20 min to fight... I got wonder-stomped by some solid & agitating Saiki Play!

I played earlier in the day on D-Pad, and on my own Xbox stick, hooked up through a converter someone had. I was feeling fairly sure of myself, so the stomping was kinda depressing, lol. It's like I didn't even get a chance to fight, I just ran into stuff and looked totally newb-like, as I couldn't advance on Saiki at all. Considering I was projectile-punishing Sie's and Kyo's all day, it was a system shock, ha.

ANYWAY, the good twist is that apparently the guy I fought + some others have weekly Fighter meetups at a local Champs Sports Bar. So I get to check that out tonight, and see if I can maybe get some revenge! play against a variety of locals, for the first time outside of a con, in a long while.

So I played my first Local KoF XIII Tourney at my local anime Con (Animazement) this past weekend... First round was too easy, my opponent disappeared for my next round, and after waiting a bunch of minutes, and borrowing a PS3 stick... and THEN waiting like 20 min to fight... I got wonder-stomped by some solid & agitating Saiki Play!

I played earlier in the day on D-Pad, and on my own Xbox stick, hooked up through a converter someone had. I was feeling fairly sure of myself, so the stomping was kinda depressing, lol. It's like I didn't even get a chance to fight, I just ran into stuff and looked totally newb-like, as I couldn't advance on Saiki at all. Considering I was projectile-punishing Sie's and Kyo's all day, it was a system shock, ha.

ANYWAY, the good twist is that apparently the guy I fought + some others have weekly Fighter meetups at a local Champs Sports Bar. So I get to check that out tonight, and see if I can maybe get some revenge! play against a variety of locals, for the first time outside of a con, in a long while.

Yeah, Saiki has that special difference to him for projectiles and zoning. Glad you found yourself a way to get revenge, and hopefully more offline competition.

Edgeward

Hey guys,

I'm new here. My boyfriend loves this game, what is the best game in the series? I bought him the compilation on Wii and I think 2001/2002 on PS2. I saw the new Guilty Gear Xrd sign game and that looks similar. I try to get hom to play other games but it seems he just likes fighters. Maybe I can get hom MvC3 Ultimate?

For series people really like XI and 98UM or 2002UM, you can even take a look at Garou Mark of the Wolves. The last 3 are all on XBLA.

I got destroyed by Raiden at my last tournament lol. Just had no idea what to do against the character. That's good you have weekly meetups to go to, it'll help you improve a lot. I need to try to meet up with my friend who plays every week over the summer.

BadWolf

I got destroyed by Raiden at my last tournament lol. Just had no idea what to do against the character. That's good you have weekly meetups to go to, it'll help you improve a lot. I need to try to meet up with my friend who plays every week over the summer.

It wasn't shoulder spam by any chance was it? Because that thing is easy to shut down with the entire case.

Kane Blue River was getting away with murder at UFGT.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
IT WAS SO WEIRD, lol. The meeting last night lasted from 7 PM to almost about 12:30 AM. I paid the $10 to enter the Double-elimination tourney, and I believe my record was something like: Won-Lost-Won-Won-Won-Lost, lol. Major opponents characters being Betty, some Strong Rekka-Kyo, and... well, I could deal with other people's Saiki's better. It was nice to fight some strong Joe, Terry, and even Mai players, however.

I got some pointers on things I don't do, but should be doing (like holding df while dashing to advance with a stored Moon Slasher with Leona... I always just advance with Grand Saber from full screen distances...), and got enough Saiki Matchup to develop a whole "Maxima can special cancel guard points! REMEMBER THIS!" Strat going on, that's risky, but pretty rewarding.

I swear by the end of the night, by joystick felt like some of it's directions were getting loose on me, but I hope that's just the difference of playing with it on my lap VS constantly on a level table...

I was the new guy who plays characters no one else does, ha. I heard a surprising amount of "I've never fought a good Leona / Maxima / Chin" before, and that was pretty much all my main team (With Hwa taking Chin or Maxima's place part of the night.) Many of them also seem to have XIII as their first / most serious KoF, where I have been playing the series since seeing 94 and 95 on the premium cabinets of one of our local, dead arcades...

And they have a bigger meet Saturday morning this week too! I might not be able to make it to that one, but if so... this'll be one crazy KoF Week for me, haha.

I told them to make a mention of these meets on DreamCancel... It's surprising to hear they've been doing this about a year, and yet I couldn't find on real info online about it.

Yeah, Saiki has that special difference to him for projectiles and zoning. Glad you found yourself a way to get revenge, and hopefully more offline competition.

It's especially disorienting because I was able to jump in on many other Saiki players, haha. Encourages bad habits, like over-relying on Chin's overhead mix-ups.

My vengeance didn't go as well as I'd have liked (I still lost to the guy lots, haha), but definitely made some progress. Guy has some of the sharpest movements of the group, really perfectly fit to counter many of my general fighter weaknesses with tight execution and movement.

It's great when you meet someone who uses a character in a way that just makes you sit there and say "..... What?!?", though I'm much more used to DOING that to people, rather than having it done to me! I don't think I fought a single Raiden, either... doh! As much as I've seen of his play, I might be kinda lost fighting one, too, haha.

At any rate, it's kinda surreal, walking into a place, and seeing 3 KoF XIII Setups, MVC3 and SFIV pushed to one screen corners, and a TV that looped between Injustice and Guilty Gear... Surely, this is the kind of Ratio I'd set for my own arcade!

It wasn't shoulder spam by any chance was it? Because that thing is easy to shut down with the entire case.

Kane Blue River was getting away with murder at UFGT.

I do remember some shoulder spam, but not that much. What I was getting beat up by was the body splash cross up move. I wasn't familiar with it and didn't know it would cross up. I would get hit by it and eat big damage. My friend on the side told me it was a safe jump setup, so I would just try to block it whenever I felt or saw him go for it. What is the way to shut down shoulder spam though?

At any rate, it's kinda surreal, walking into a place, and seeing 3 KoF XIII Setups, MVC3 and SFIV pushed to one screen corners, and a TV that looped between Injustice and Guilty Gear... Surely, this is the kind of Ratio I'd set for my own arcade!

They only had one KoF XIII setup at the tournament I went to, only seven people entered the tournament I think. We need to make sure we have at least two next time we go. There were plenty for SF4 and UMvC3.

BadWolf

I do remember some shoulder spam, but not that much. What I was getting beat up by was the body splash cross up move. I wasn't familiar with it and didn't know it would cross up. I would get hit by it and eat big damage. My friend on the side told me it was a safe jump setup, so I would just try to block it whenever I felt or saw him go for it. What is the way to shut down shoulder spam though?

Yeah, that jD is really good.

As for the shoulder spam, characters with fast specials, ex moves or supers can punish him on block (Ryo's HCB+B, Ralf's mash punches, Joe's EX mash punches and punch super etc.). Also gotta remember that the move only has upper body guard point.

But speaking for the entire cast, the move is actually free to pretty much anything once it is released. You can just jab him out of it (which you can convert into a combo).

The normal version basically has like no priority before it hits you (EX version is a different story but it is less safe on block).

Yeah, that jD is really good.

As for the shoulder spam, characters with fast specials, ex moves or supers can punish him on block (Ryo's HCB+B, Ralf's mash punches, Joe's EX mash punches and punch super etc.). Also gotta remember that the move only has upper body guard point.

But speaking for the entire cast, the move is actually free to pretty much anything once it is released. You can just jab him out of it (which you can convert into a combo).

The normal version basically has like no priority before it hits you (EX version is a different story but it is less safe on block).

Thanks for the info wolf. I'll need to learn how to properly punish that stuff with my characters. Also have to work on the Duo Lon and Clark match up. Won't see my ps3 for a while though :(

They only had one KoF XIII setup at the tournament I went to, only seven people entered the tournament I think. We need to make sure we have at least two next time we go. There were plenty for SF4 and UMvC3.

If they are doing j.d after his command grab, just roll it on wake up, it is a common cross up setup.

If they are doing j.d after his command grab, just roll it on wake up, it is a common cross up setup.

Thanks Tera.

Was just watching some videos of KaneBlueRiver play at UFGT9, and yes he did get away with murder with that Raiden. His play shows me what other Raiden players might try to look for or setup.

Onemic

Is Takuma easy or hard to learn? Ive heard absolute polar opposites about this character. Some say he's a good character for beginners and some say he's one of the hardest characters in the game execution wise.

Also, why is King such a popular character? I see so many people use her.

Is Takuma easy or hard to learn? Ive heard absolute polar opposites about this character. Some say he's a good character for beginners and some say he's one of the hardest characters in the game execution wise.

People that say Takuma has difficult execution do not have much experience with KOF. Compared to SF4, yes, he's a little tougher due to the charge move, and if you want to incorporate his 1f link into the gameplan you will be in practice mode for a long time (there is no "link assistance" in KOF like SF4's plinking). But compared to other KOF characters his execution is rather tame. I think he's fine for beginners because his gameplan is incredibly simple, he has no ranged tools other than his fireball.

King is popular because she is good. The members of Cafeid all put her in their personal top 5 when interviewed after EVO 2012. I think by now their opinions may have changed, but she is still one of the better characters with zoning capability in the game. Her simple HD combos are also impossible to drop.

Also she's hot. <3

BadWolf

^Good stuff man, will watch when I get home.

Speaking of Japanese player attendance at Evo, Toxico of Madman's Cafe posted the following message from Dune:

Dune twitted that possible Japanese candidates for this Year evo are Gosho , KouKou , Kaoru , Woo / Uuu , Kantoku / Keykakko & Cabbage / Kyabettsu .

&#12362;&#12381;&#12392;&#12399;&#12375;&#12387;&#12390;&#12367;&#12427;&#12357; --indeed.

Let's hope that all goes well this year, unlike the past Evo where some people where left standing in their rooms drinking with an updated / hard to come by visa.

KouKou (Kim/Karate/Claw Iori/Kensou/Saiki), Woo (Ralf/Clark/Vice) and Kaoru (Daimon/Raiden/Ryo/Karate/Maxima/Clark/Takuma) are seriously awesome.

The other's sound familiar but can't remember any specific matches and Gosho hasn't been doing all too well in the matches I've seen.

Tbh I was really hoping Tenkawa (the best Shen/Duolon/Ash there is) would come, especially after he destroyed the Koreans (including Lacid and MadKOF) during their last session there. Haregoro would have been excellent as well (the original Joe innovator and still the best one).

Lol that looks hilarious, but man that must be hard to pull off.

On a tournament stream I remember someone mentioning that you pretty much have to be a machine to do it. Same with EX Kyo iirc.

King is the best zoner in the game, between the ground and air fireballs she can control the screen and the pace of the match really well. In addition to that she moves fast, has great specials and fast normals. A character that people won't jump to call top tier but can easily destroy any top tier team (just take a look at what MADkof did to the Japanese during SNK's V-1 Final tournament).

Takuma is a damage monster, the better your execution the more damage you can do. His stun combos are pretty much death.

Even if you can't do anything fancy you will still do damage way above average.

The balance lies in the fact that his defense is weak.

Onemic

^Good stuff man, will watch when I get home.

Speaking of Japanese player attendance at Evo, Toxico of Madman's Cafe posted the following message from Dune:

KouKou (Kim/Karate/Claw Iori/Kensou/Saiki), Woo (Ralf/Clark/Vice) and Kaoru (Daimon/Raiden/Ryo/Karate/Maxima/Clark/Takuma) are seriously awesome.

The other's sound familiar but can't remember any specific matches and Gosho hasn't been doing all too well in the matches I've seen.

Tbh I was really hoping Tenkawa (the best Shen/Duolon/Ash there is) would come, especially after he destroyed the Koreans (including Lacid and MadKOF) during their last session there. Haregoro would have been excellent as well (the original Joe innovator and still the best one).

On a tournament stream I remember someone mentioning that you pretty much have to be a machine to do it. Same with EX Kyo iirc.

King is the best zoner in the game, between the ground and air fireballs she can control the screen and the pace of the match really well. In addition to that she moves fast, has great specials and fast normals. A character that people won't jump to call top tier but can easily destroy any top tier team (just take a look at what MADkof did to the Japanese during SNK's V-1 Final tournament).

Takuma is a damage monster, the better your execution the more damage you can do. His stun combos are pretty much death.

Even if you can't do anything fancy you will still do damage way above average.

The balance lies in the fact that his defense is weak.

What does Kim excel at? Im deciding between him and Takuma at the moment.

BadWolf

What does Kim excel at? Im deciding between him and Takuma at the moment.

The better question is, what does he not excel at? His only real weakness is that he can be zoned out, other than that he is an excellent all around character.

Relentless in your face pressure for days and combos up the wazoo from pretty much any situation.

His ex moves are also some of the best in the game.

His defense is also rock solid, especially compared to Takuma.

Oh and he looks badass and so do his combos.

Shadow780

What does Kim excel at?

Being top tier :p

I think his normal are great and his pressuring power is enormous. Easy BnB combo that results in hard knockdown where the opponent has to force to make a choice every time he gets up. He's really versatile and can run point, 2nd, or anchor whereas Takuma needs meter to be dangerous.

Kim's EX are ridiculous as well. A lot of moves are either super fast, safe on block or has invincibility. His Neomax does 250+ dmg guaranteed with that last hit and his HD combo are relatively easy.

That's not to say Kim is better than Takuma in its entirety but I think Kim has more tools at his disposal for different situations.

Watch some Koukou matches on YouTube to get an idea how to play him effectively.

I've loved KOF since 94 and didn't even know Gaf had a community for this game (XIII).

Now admittedly I'm" not a very serious player but for me personally since launch the character that has oddly gave me the most trouble is Kensou, he isn't even overly proficient at anything but his zoning capabilities pisses me off. An old arcade bud of mine absolutely wipes the floor with me when he picks Kensou.

My priority team is Mai (main), Terry & Clark. Otherwise, I try to switch up my secondary team every game and for KOF XIII it is Andy, Kim & Ryo.

Speaking of which, I don't know why people (in my circle) dislike Ryo, yeah he's heavy but he's perfect for players who like to zone and bait not to mention under the right circumstances he can finish quick; I have noticed that Takuma is the MUCH more popular option though.

As far as my knowledge (could be wrong), I think K' is the best overall or rather versatile character this KOF around. You can put him in any position, a strong corner game and even better offensive. Only drawback really is his weak damage output.

I've loved KOF since 94 and didn't even know Gaf had a community for this game (XIII).

Now admittedly I'm" not a very serious player but for me personally since launch the character that has oddly gave me the most trouble is Kensou, he isn't even overly proficient at anything but his zoning capabilities pisses me off. An old arcade bud of mine absolutely wipes the floor with me when he picks Kensou.

My priority team is Mai (main), Terry & Clark. Otherwise, I try to switch up my secondary team every game and for KOF XIII it is Andy, Kim & Ryo.

Speaking of which, I don't know why people (in my circle) dislike Ryo, yeah he's heavy but he's perfect for players who like to zone and bait not to mention under the right circumstances he can finish quick; I have noticed that Takuma is the MUCH more popular option though.

As far as my knowledge (could be wrong), I think K' is the best overall or rather versatile character this KOF around. You can put him in any position, a strong corner game and even better offensive. Only drawback really is his weak damage output.

A friend that I play with messes around with Kensou. That matchup would give me a lot of issues at the beginning too. He told me I should try to read his fireballs rather than react to them, and that has helped me punish the fireball spam. Also Kensou will want to throw you in the corner, so be ready to tech or stop the throw setup. I also play Terry, and I think I do well with him against Kensou since Terry can also throw projectiles and has a great jump D which can land into an easy but damaging punish.

I messed around with Ryo for like 5 minutes, and he felt very strange compared to the rest of the cast. I think you might have to link most of his normals instead of chain them together, and that probably turns of players who have gotten used to chaining certain normals with most of the cast.

A friend that I play with messes around with Kensou. That matchup would give me a lot of issues at the beginning too. He told me I should try to read his fireballs rather than react to them, and that has helped me punish the fireball spam. Also Kensou will want to throw you in the corner, so be ready to tech or stop the throw setup. I also play Terry, and I think I do well with him against Kensou since Terry can also throw projectiles and has a great jump D which can land into an easy but damaging punish.

I messed around with Ryo for like 5 minutes, and he felt very strange compared to the rest of the cast. I think you might have to link most of his normals instead of chain them together, and that probably turns of players who have gotten used to chaining certain normals with most of the cast.

Thanks for the tips on Kensou; usually when I make it past his projectiles he throws me off my game with his erratic movements (backflipping and that diving bomb move) then goes in for the kill with his rekka that quickly gets me into the corner before cleaning house. I'll be sure to keep those tips in mind next time he is in town.

Onemic

Is there any point of using the C variant of Eins Trigger for K' rather than the A version? Looking at his frame data, the A and C versions are the exact same in terms of startup, frame advantage, and recovery, with the only discernible difference being that the A version knocks the opponent down while the C version does not.

Is there any point of using the C variant of Eins Trigger for K' rather than the A version? Looking at his frame data, the A and C versions are the exact same in terms of startup, frame advantage, and recovery, with the only discernible difference being that the A version knocks the opponent down while the C version does not.

You'll want to use the C version for meaty setups at least, for better frame advantage (since it has more active frames). If you time it right on their wake-up, Ein Trigger C to close C is a true blockstring.

BadWolf

C version combo's better mid screen.

C trigger into the launcher followup works midscreen after standing C hits for two hits, cr.C or even after a s.C (1 hit), f+A chain. It will combo and you can juggle after the launcher with QCF QCF+P super anywhere on the screen. With the A trigger launcher you would have to do it by canceling the s.C after one hit. So you get more time to confirm.

The C trigger fireball also hits better in combo strings since they remain grounded after the C trigger, unlike the A trigger which launches and the fireball follow-up misses at times.

Onemic

C version combo's better mid screen.

C trigger into the launcher followup works midscreen after standing C hits for two hits, cr.C or even after a s.C (1 hit), f+A chain. It will combo and you can juggle after the launcher with QCF QCF+P super anywhere on the screen. With the A trigger launcher you would have to do it by canceling the s.C after one hit. So you get more time to confirm.

The C trigger fireball also hits better in combo strings since they remain grounded after the C trigger, unlike the A trigger which launches and the fireball follow-up misses at times.

Is it only for juggling into the super, meaties, and block/combo strings? because the combo Im doing only works with the A version:

j.C, st.C(1), qcf+A, f+D, qcb+D, qcb+D (whiff), dp+A

BadWolf

Is it only for juggling into the super, meaties, and block/combo strings? because the combo Im doing only works with the A version:

j.C, st.C(1), qcf+A, f+D, qcb+D, qcb+D (whiff), dp+A

Yeah, there is nothing else special about it from the look of things. It connects better than the A version because there is less push-back.

In the arcade version the A version was one of the main reasons he was overpowered because you could basically combo with it off of anything like the EX version, which resulted in very high damage output and meter building.

But yeah, generally speaking the A version is better and offers more damage and options when used in combos.

The two versions also combo differently during HD and drive cancel combos iirc.

Loona

2002um and 98um will be neat too

It would be nice if those 2 did well enough that putting out a F2P game with the sprite style they use would be a viable prospect - every damn character from KoF96 to XI, including the NGBC cast (and in the very least the SNK side from SvC Chaos) as optinal purchases...

On the other hand, coming up with a unified system for them all that would keep it balanced...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, bought Proper Iori and NEST's Kyo Fersis. I hope you're happy, despite me renting the game off PSN and not owning a disc for it.
Which I probably should despite me NEVER playing the damn thing just to clear the 7-12gig harddrive space it's taking up out

Burning Water

Neo Member
Just wanted to say thanks to Juicebox! You're helping out more than you can imagine, and I'm extremely thankful for your support of this game. I don't think I've loved a fighting game as much as the KOF series, and this time around I actually wanna try out some of the cast that I just plain found difficult to start learning, all thanks to your videos. Keep em coming!

Top Bottom