• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

In case people were wondering, Top 8 is looking like this

Winners bracket

CafeID|Verna vs. Hee San Woo
MCZ|Tokido vs. CafeID|MadKOF

Losers bracket

AGE|Romance vs. AS|Reynald
Fox vs. DM|Xian

Damn that's sad :/

This year's tourney had a whole different set of variables than last year's, so upsets were expected. But jeez, last year's Loser's Finals is this year's Loser's Semi-Finals. The pools might have been way smaller this year, but the competition is strong.

America takes KOF.

How weird it is to say that. Even weirder that it's true.

Great matches all around today, and reached 90k again. At 10am PST.

Words can barely express my happiness right now (as an American, and a Japan & KOF fan). We'll see how the other GFs do today.

BadWolf

The tournament was simply insane.

Really wanted it to happen but seriously didn't expect something that would top last year to happen, but it did.

Reynald, just wow. His play style is pure flash and he had to go through pretty much all of the top players to get to the grand final, crazy.

Woo was damn good as well, great performance and a rather different style of play compared to other players.

MADkof was solid but it didn't feel he developed much since last year, unlike players like Tokido, Ren, Xian, Reynald etc.

Oh and really glad there was no Iori and Karate in the grand final again :p

America takes KOF.

How weird it is to say that. Even weirder that it's true.

Great matches all around today, and reached 90k again. At 10am PST.

Words can barely express my happiness right now (as an American, and a Japan & KOF fan). We'll see how the other GFs do today.

And people were saying that it was only able to go over 90K last year because ppl were waiting for Marvel.

And people were saying that it was only able to go over 90K last year because ppl were waiting for Marvel.

That was a true test by the guys who organized things this year. Honestly, I would've been happy at 60k for 10 in the morning, but 90k again leaves me in awe. I can't think of anything else televised on TV or online that shows annually, has it's time slot drastically changed, and still gets big numbers. I expected a passing grade, not an A(-). Does anyone know what kind of viewership other games have gotten for early Top 8's?

Shadow780

My 3G turns to shit when I'm inside evo but just want to chime in and say that was some hypeeeeeeeeee shit! Reynald downloaded Woo after a couple of sets and Woo couldn't adjust. Congrats to them both on knocking out the Koreans :p

Edgeward

I'm glad Reynald finally got over the hump and won the big one. No game changing mistakes and really solid play with extreme pressure.

I'm glad Reynald finally got over the hump and won the big one. No game changing mistakes and really solid play with extreme pressure.

I think it might be harder for people to adapt to Reynald. He just goes nuts with the EX Kyo. And his Beni getting all those command grabs and lightning loops.

And yeah I'm also amazed by the viewership. I did not expect 90k for the first game of the day. KoF brings the hype.

Onemic

KOF top 8 was hype as always.

Just wondering, How many Mexican players were at Evo this year? Bala was noticeably absent and there didn't seem to be any in top 8.(Didn't watch all of top 8, so I might be wrong on that) I thought they're generally considered to be the gods of KOF?

BadWolf

Okay, who the heck took out KouKou in the tournament?

I was watching the post Evo 3v3 held by CafeID and he destroyed Verna and MADkof with his Kim in Korea vs. Japan.

He OCV'd Verna and almost did the same to MADkof.

That was a true test by the guys who organized things this year. Honestly, I would've been happy at 60k for 10 in the morning, but 90k again leaves me in awe. I can't think of anything else televised on TV or online that shows annually, has it's time slot drastically changed, and still gets big numbers. I expected a passing grade, not an A(-). Does anyone know what kind of viewership other games have gotten for early Top 8's?

Iirc in the Evo thread it was mentioned that SCV was first in the morning last year and had about 50K.

KOF top 8 was hype as always.

Just wondering, How many Mexican players were at Evo this year? Bala was noticeably absent and there didn't seem to be any in top 8.(Didn't watch all of top 8, so I might be wrong on that) I thought they're generally considered to be the gods of KOF?

Seems plans changed at the last second and they couldn't make it.

Not sure if true but someone said that Kula disappeared from the scene about a month ago and ppl aren't sure where he is. That would explain why he wasn't at the Mexican tournament last week where Bala and Koopa were in the grand final.

Shadow780

Okay, who the heck took out KouKou in the tournament?

I was watching the post Evo 3v3 held by CafeID and he destroyed Verna and MADkof with his Kim in Korea vs. Japan.

He OCV'd Verna and almost did the same to MADkof.

Someone told me Reynald took out Haregoro and Romance took out KouKou. Met Woo during lunch and he doesn't seem to know the other Japanese players.

Dave Long

Banned
So I missed the stream but would like to see the last few matches. Final eight maybe? What's the best way to watch now? Is it archived somewhere?

BadWolf

Someone told me Reynald took out Haregoro and Romance took out KouKou. Met Woo during lunch and he doesn't seem to know the other Japanese players.

Really? Guess that makes sense then (Haregoro tends to be weak to Kim and KouKou to King), thanks for the info.

Too bad we didn't get to see these guys much on stream, their matches are pretty much always fun to watch.

They mentioned that Woo is from Osaka and hangs out with Kaoru, which means they are far away from the Gamespot Versus guys.

In case anyone wants to watch the Korea vs. Japan set I was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmfLjgjL2W4

So I missed the stream but would like to see the last few matches. Final eight maybe? What's the best way to watch now? Is it archived somewhere?

Top 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptD_0swTTQ

If you have time check out the quarter and semi finals as well, lots of great matches there too.

Roubjon

After Evo I had a huge desire to play this even though I've barely played it at all and suck ass.

I'm having a blast doing Mission mode while learning some characters and I really hope the Steam version comes through. Hopefully it will have a decent netcode that will revive the game a little bit.

Onemic

Looks like I'm coming back to this game. You can thank Juicebox for it.

I guess after a year of getting into the fighting game scene I'm just tired of all the bullshit surrounding SFIV(my main game) and Marvel. It has actually tired me out, as it seems like the teaching of fundamentals is pretty absent from the game(s), especially for a person like me who can't go out for locals constantly and thus has to settle for online players that just uses the setups on you until they win and yet you know that they're aren't actually good at the game, but at the characters bullshit. Not only that but the fact that inputs are more lenient cause unintended consequences for someone like me that's new to the scene as it makes me less likely to go and actually practice DP motions until I get it right and instead fucks me over in situations where I want to do a certain move, but the system thinks I want to do another due to the lenient inputs and just fucks me up even more. I just want to learn how to be a goof fighting game player in general and not just a particular fighting game, where the skills developed in such won't be that transferable to others. As someone who is a newbie I feel pretty strongly about this for SFIV. I just hope KOF can do that based on the feedback I've heard from many players within the community, (hell, even this threads title) because right now that hasn't been the case for SFIV at all.

I guess the only problem at this point is that there is no real local scene for the game near my area. The local scene around me are pretty much solely Marvel/SF heads. Sometimes they'll mix it up and play KOF, but in most cases they stick pretty heavily to those 2. I live in the GTA of Toronto, so I only have access to the local events within that area rather than downtown where I'm 100% sure there is a scene. Without a good functional online I'm pretty much stuck in training mode, trial mode, and story mode.
Unless the steam release can fix that....fingers hopelessly crossed

Oh, and once again I'm gonna ask for some character advice. K'/Takuma/Claw Iori? Decided to replace Kim with Takuma as I hear he's better if you want to learn how to get good at the game rather than getting good with a character.

Looks like I'm coming back to this game. You can thank Juicebox for it.

I guess after a year of getting into the fighting game scene I'm just tired of all the bullshit surrounding SFIV(my main game) and Marvel. It has actually tired me out, as it seems like the teaching of fundamentals is pretty absent from the game(s), especially for a person like me who can't go out for locals constantly and thus has to settle for online players that just uses the setups on you until they win and yet you know that they're aren't actually good at the game, but at the characters bullshit. Not only that but the fact that inputs are more lenient cause unintended consequences for someone like me that's new to the scene as it makes me less likely to go and actually practice DP motions until I get it right and instead fucks me over in situations where I want to do a certain move, but the system thinks I want to do another due to the lenient inputs and just fucks me up even more. I just want to learn how to be a goof fighting game player in general and not just a particular fighting game, where the skills developed in such won't be that transferable to others. As someone who is a newbie I feel pretty strongly about this for SFIV. I just hope KOF can do that based on the feedback I've heard from many players within the community, (hell, even this threads title) because right now that hasn't been the case for SFIV at all.

I guess the only problem at this point is that there is no real local scene for the game near my area. The local scene around me are pretty much solely Marvel/SF heads. Sometimes they'll mix it up and play KOF, but in most cases they stick pretty heavily to those 2. I live in the GTA of Toronto, so I only have access to the local events within that area rather than downtown where I'm 100% sure there is a scene. Without a good functional online I'm pretty much stuck in training mode, trial mode, and story mode.
Unless the steam release can fix that....fingers hopelessly crossed

Oh, and once again I'm gonna ask for some character advice. K'/Takuma/Claw Iori? Decided to replace Kim with Takuma as I hear he's better if you want to learn how to get good at the game rather than getting good with a character.

Welcome back to the game.

I will say that a consistent way (at least for me) in building skills that carry onto other fighters is playing more than one fighter, especially outside of one company. Me doing KOF and other fighters occasionally, like VF5FS, Marvel, SF4, etc, makes me pay attention do the different systems each fighter has, but doesn't let me forget about range, defense, footsies, etc. Was hard to go back to SF4 after months of KOF because of the movement options SF didn't have, but it made me think about standing my ground more, which even carried over into KOF with a few characters.

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=921.0
This is a link to a scene possibly near where you are; might be worth getting in touch with some of those guys (not sure how big Toronto is though). I wouldn't totally quit online, especially if there's at least one or two people you have a good connection with. Make them training partners if you can. And keep an eye on the possible Steam version later.

Switching out Kim for Takuma is somewhat logical, if you're trying to be good at the game, but he does have some advantages others don't have. If Kim works for you, don't totally abandon him; he's a threat because he's unlike a lot of the cast. The cast is varied enough where even the shotos are significantly different from each other, more than SF. If you aren't familiar with all the systems of the game, get to know those first, since the whole cast can use them. Others might have a different opinion, but I think you'll be a stronger player optimizing your team(s) first after you've got the system down, instead of picking 6-9 characters you're ok with.

Onemic

Welcome back to the game.

I will say that a consistent way (at least for me) in building skills that carry onto other fighters is playing more than one fighter, especially outside of one company. Me doing KOF and other fighters occasionally, like VF5FS, Marvel, SF4, etc, makes me pay attention do the different systems each fighter has, but doesn't let me forget about range, defense, footsies, etc. Was hard to go back to SF4 after months of KOF because of the movement options SF didn't have, but it made me think about standing my ground more, which even carried over into KOF with a few characters.

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=921.0
This is a link to a scene possibly near where you are; might be worth getting in touch with some of those guys (not sure how big Toronto is though). I wouldn't totally quit online, especially if there's at least one or two people you have a good connection with. Make them training partners if you can. And keep an eye on the possible Steam version later.

Switching out Kim for Takuma is somewhat logical, if you're trying to be good at the game, but he does have some advantages others don't have. If Kim works for you, don't totally abandon him; he's a threat because he's unlike a lot of the cast. The cast is varied enough where even the shotos are significantly different from each other, more than SF. If you aren't familiar with all the systems of the game, get to know those first, since the whole cast can use them. Others might have a different opinion, but I think you'll be a stronger player optimizing your team(s) first after you've got the system down, instead of picking 6-9 characters you're ok with.

I still play SFIV, but I'm limiting it now to just playing with friends and people on GAF rather than it being the main game I practice. I want to focus instead on practicing KOF with a little bit of Guilty Gear on the side.

That scene you linked to is now officially dead. The scene(Lovegety Station) closed down almost a month ago, so now I'm pretty much SOL for a KOF scene around my area. I don't know if another one popped up after its closing as that thread hasn't been active in almost 2 years.(A new player necro'd the thread yesterday though, asking if there's a new scene around the area, so hopefully someone answers) As for online, every person I've tried playing the game with has been absolutely unplayable. We're talking at least 0.5 - 1 second worth of lag no matter the proximity. I think the closest person I've faced online was Shadow780 on GAF?(not 100% sure, might be someone else) who I believe is from around the Toronto area as well and matches were completely unplayable too with around a good 0.5 seconds of lag. I won't completely rule out online, but from my experience I'm fairly sure I'll never get a playable match. It's why I'm hoping against all odds that somehow the netcode gets improved for the steam version of the game.

As for Kim, I haven't used him enough that I'll really be losing anything for switching him out with Takuma, it was only recently that I started practicing with him. What exactly does he have that other characters don't?

BadWolf

@Karsius

Check out A&C games in Toronto, they hold regular meet ups for casuals and tournaments for a lot of games, including KOFXIII. If you want more info before going then try contacting the member Karn on the dreamcancel forums, he loves XIII and is very active about getting new players into the scene. I can also give you his email address if you want. They have a facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/acgamesonline

I've played with them a few times and it was great.

If you want to play online then my PSN id is Diavlestein, feel free to add me. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Shadow780 is from the US. I've played quite a few times with him and the connection has been very playable, just once or twice it was messed up.

Give the online more of a chance, its not that bad (I've been playing online only since the game's release). Make sure you are playing wired and not through wifi and make sure that your internet connection isn't being used for anything else while playing, if someone is doing heavy browsing or watching youtube or whatever on your connection while you are playing then it will effect your connection in XIII heavily. You also gotta remember that the other guy you are playing may not be doing the same so don't fret and try someone else.

I've actually even started playing on 2 bar connections now and more often than not its very playable, can do combos and everything just fine.

As for Kim, I haven't used him enough that I'll really be losing anything for switching him out with Takuma, it was only recently that I started practicing with him. What exactly does he have that other characters don't?

The thing about Kim is that he is essentially easy mode, he has pretty much everything you would want in a character. The only thing he is missing is a fireball.

Excellent normals (amplified by his long limbs), specials and combos (he can turn almost any situation into a combo) and some of the best (if not the best) EX moves in the game.

His offense is probably the scariest in the game as well (just look at how KouKou used him in the Korea vs. Japan 3v3 I linked above).

Takuma is all about damage, which is monstrous. The better your execution the more pain you will deliver. His only major weakness is his defense. You can be a sitting duck without meter and even if you do have meter it can be risky if you miss. If you want to watch the best Takuma in action then check out some Bala matches.

_dazed

the online is decent if you have a connection of 4 (3 is hit or miss). I can play my coworker over it and it works fine, but that is about it haha.

Onemic

@Karsius

Check out A&C games in Toronto, they hold regular meet ups for casuals and tournaments for a lot of games, including KOFXIII. If you want more info before going then try contacting the member Karn on the dreamcancel forums, he loves XIII and is very active about getting new players into the scene. I can also give you his email address if you want. They have a facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/acgamesonline

I've played with them a few times and it was great.

If you want to play online then my PSN id is Diavlestein, feel free to add me. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Shadow780 is from the US. I've played quite a few times with him and the connection has been very playable, just once or twice it was messed up.

Give the online more of a chance, its not that bad (I've been playing online only since the game's release). Make sure you are playing wired and not through wifi and make sure that your internet connection isn't being used for anything else while playing, if someone is doing heavy browsing or watching youtube or whatever on your connection while you are playing then it will effect your connection in XIII heavily. You also gotta remember that the other guy you are playing may not be doing the same so don't fret and try someone else.

I've actually even started playing on 2 bar connections now and more often than not its very playable, can do combos and everything just fine.

The thing about Kim is that he is essentially easy mode, he has pretty much everything you would want in a character. The only thing he is missing is a fireball.

Excellent normals (amplified by his long limbs), specials and combos (he can turn almost any situation into a combo) and some of the best (if not the best) EX moves in the game.

His offense is probably the scariest in the game as well (just look at how KouKou used him in the Korea vs. Japan 3v3 I linked above).

Takuma is all about damage, which is monstrous. The better your execution the more pain you will deliver. His only major weakness is his defense. You can be a sitting duck without meter and even if you do have meter it can be risky if you miss. If you want to watch the best Takuma in action then check out some Bala matches.

I would go to A & C, but like I said, that's in downtown and I'm from Markham myself. To get downtown requires me to make a bus transfer, then take the subway all the way down. I used to work downtown and on average it would take me a good 2 hours to get there using public transportation, which is why I'm ruling it out for most occasions. On the chance occasion that I do decide to trek it up there, what days to they play KOF XIII?

I'll add you to PSN. Hopefully I'll finally get a game that is playable. So far I've played 2 - 3 bar connections and they've all been terrible.

BadWolf

I would go to A & C, but like I said, that's in downtown and I'm from Markham myself. To get downtown requires me to make a bus transfer, then take the subway all the way down. I used to work downtown and on average it would take me a good 2 hours to get there using public transportation, which is why I'm ruling it out for most occasions. On the chance occasion that I do decide to trek it up there, what days to they play KOF XIII?

I'll add you to PSN. Hopefully I'll finally get a game that is playable. So far I've played 2 - 3 bar connections and they've all been terrible.

Try getting in touch with them regardless, maybe they have some players that live close to you. Not sure what days they play sorry, check out the facebook page or get in touch with Karn.

I'll be home from work by about 8PM.

*crosses fingers for a good connection*

stn

List

So, this list states that Joe is the most technical character to use. Crap, I wanted to use him once I buy this game. What makes him so hard? I've never had great execution so does that mean I won't be able to use him at all?? I'm more of a fundamentals player who relies on footsies and good reads over flashy combos.

Loona

List

So, this list states that Joe is the most technical character to use. Crap, I wanted to use him once I buy this game. What makes him so hard? I've never had great execution so does that mean I won't be able to use him at all?? I'm more of a fundamentals player who relies on footsies and good reads over flashy combos.

I'm not terrible versed on Joe, but his corner dizzy combo certainly helps rank him high - however, I think that involves being precise enough with inputs for his Bakuretsu punches to use them between other moves, which is something I have trouble with.
His combos can be fairly deadly, but his normals on his own just don't seem as effective and ranged as Hwa Jai's, despite their similar builds.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It might be a good idea to wait for the PC release instead, online is pretty bad on both consoles.

What makes you think a PC re-release is going to magically fix the broken netcode they shipped the console versions with?

_dazed

What makes you think a PC re-release is going to magically fix the broken netcode they shipped the console versions with?

Its the only reason a port from a Taito Type X² (basically a windows box) of a game that is 90% lua script would be taking this long.

The net code will still suck

Onemic

how are mods gonna fix the netcode? Since it's online that wouldn't even be viable as if it was a possibility wouldn't that pretty much leave the window open for people to easily hack and cheat in the game?

I do hope the PC release somehow fixes it, so I can have some motivation to get better.

BadWolf

List

Reynald said that the only reason he put Joe there is because he needs the stun combo to win at high level.

That being said, I main him and he is a lot of fun to use and I'm sure you would enjoy his play no matter what level you are on.

The stun combo isn't so bad, the good thing is that you have to basically do everything in quick succession and there is no delay required for anything. Even without the stun combos he is able to get some excellent damage for little meter with rather easy combos, especially in the corner.

His BnB combos are easy to do and do good damage. He also has an easy HD loop. His EX moves are excellent.

You said that you are a fundamentals kind of player, does that include spacing? Because spacing is everything for Joe.

So don't worry, give him a try. Joe in XIII is easily my fave iteration of the character yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I'm going to tell you something: There will be no mods on the PC release and they will not fix the netcode. I'll dance a merry jig if I'm wrong but they aren't going to let you mod something that has middleware in it so easily and leave it open to exploit in addition to the netcode being magically improved over the console releases.

Roubjon

So the team I've decided to use is Shen Woo, Robert, and Elisabeth. You guys have any tips or anything? It seems that Robert is a pretty straight forward character compared to the other two. I'm having trouble figuring out how Elisabeth works though. I've done around half of her combo trials, but I don't know how to actually use her in a fight.

So the team I've decided to use is Shen Woo, Robert, and Elisabeth. You guys have any tips or anything? It seems that Robert is a pretty straight forward character compared to the other two. I'm having trouble figuring out how Elisabeth works though. I've done around half of her combo trials, but I don't know how to actually use her in a fight.

Well, JuiceBox pretty much covered Shen and Liz's basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf-ol0tzohw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1C63H3_Jb8

GooeyHeat

Shen is probably the most straight-forward character on that team, actually. His combos tend to be pretty simple, plus his far standing C has a guard point. His crouching C is also a wonderful anti-air.

Basically his playstyle boils down to "punch things".

Elisabeth is tricky, though. Not sure if I could help you there. She's got some real shenanigans, though, especially since her NeoMAX can be used to end HD combos through a MAX cancel, or as a counter at any other time.

Elisabeth has short range on her normals compared to everyone else. Your goal with her is to scare them away from approaching you by liberally using qcf+A and dp+A. qcf+A recovers so fast that it's really hard to jump in on her EVER and dp+A is safe 99% of the time (most characters need meter to punish).

Qcf+A knocks down and you can try offense. On CH you knock them higher and can combo dp+A.

Dp+A combos to itself if it hits while the opponent is on the ground, then you get a great reset mixup (watch my video for examples).

If they're scared of these two things they won't be jumping or moving forward, so get your offense going. Her combos are pretty tough though, especially any of her drive cancels. I don't recommend her for beginners because of her above-average execution requirement and her short range, but she is a very dynamic and unpredictable character when played right.

Onemic

How similar are iori with flames and nests kyo to the earlier incarnations of kof? Since online is a no go for me except through kof 98/2002 on ggpo, how translatable would you say the skills and fundamentals of those games towards kof xiii are?

shaowebb

Probably going to start playing KoF again really soon. Footsies and balance in Injustice are ass. I'm waiting to see what gets addressed in the next update and who they add. I'm a DC fan,but I've played better fighting games and I dont know how I feel on this thing lately...namely this game still holds the crown for best that I've played.

How similar are iori with flames and nests kyo to the earlier incarnations of kof? Since online is a no go for me except through kof 98/2002 on ggpo, how translatable would you say the skills and fundamentals of those games towards kof xiii are?

It's been a while since I've played 98/02, so I hope more than just me answers this, but Flame Iori really shouldn't be that different to his older iterations; it would explain why lots of old KOF players know how to win with him instantly sometimes. If anything, it feels like he combos easier in XIII.

NESTS Kyo on the other hand, if you're praciting or playing via 98/02, it really feels like several advantages he has in XIII is through armoring and EX moves, which I'm not sure are fully present in 02. In 98 he's got some armoring, but you'll be working more on his fundamentals. I think Reynald's GF play in EVO would work well in any game with Kyo Rekka.

Top Bottom