• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

mjontrix

Q - how would KOFXIII compare to Street FIghter 4, or rather Street Fighter EX Plus a?

The last fighting game I played religiously was EX Plus a (ps1, 6hr+ a day for 2-3 years), then SF4 a bit on PS3 - how does KOF compare?

Will I regret playing it?

BadWolf

Q - how would KOFXIII compare to Street FIghter 4, or rather Street Fighter EX Plus a?

The last fighting game I played religiously was EX Plus a (ps1, 6hr+ a day for 2-3 years), then SF4 a bit on PS3 - how does KOF compare?

Will I regret playing it?

Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ET5xqUNuOg

Its not for XIII specifically but a nice general intro to the series.

KOF is more aggressive than SF with faster movement and more combos but it doesn't go overboard so it still has that nice old school feel.

Oh and you know how they tell you its a bad idea to jump in SF? Forget that for KOF.

mjontrix

Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ET5xqUNuOg

Its not for XIII specifically but a nice general intro to the series.

KOF is more aggressive than SF with faster movement and more combos but it doesn't go overboard so it still has that nice old school feel.

Oh and you know how they tell you its a bad idea to jump in SF? Forget that for KOF.

Ah saw that video - thanks!

Definitely feels more old-school, much more faster definitely - and yeah my 360 gamepad is pathetic for it, so switching to a PS3 gamepad... if I can get the bluetooth drivers working.

Doing the combo cancels is damn near impossible on a 360 gamepad unless you've done some mods to the dpad... Which I haven't LOL

EDIT 2: Forget the keyboard for this - just tried it for fun even though I knew the result...

EDIT 3: It's possible to do a super => NeoMax but good luck landing the damn thing on a 360 gamepad...

shaowebb

Dat lag....

It was a 1 bar match so I can t count it. He says 2 and 3 are fine but 1 bar is laughable. I keep checking to see if I got a key. If I get one I'm giving it to Juicebox for all our sakes.

Well he at least says 2 bars and up is definitely playable but sadly he's not good at the game and doesn't know what to test for...should we come up with a specific drive cancel to try offline and then to take online?

It was a 1 bar match so I can t count it. He says 2 and 3 are fine but 1 bar is laughable. I keep checking to see if I got a key. If I get one I'm giving it to Juicebox for all our sakes.

Fine is not good, which it needs to be for this game.

Also they have already sent out all the steam keys.

Not sure when to bite for the Steam Edition. Currently it's $19.99 on steam, but the netcode hasn't been greatly improved from consoles in the beta at least. I want to get it before official release, but I guess I'll still hold out for a bit longer. Waiting has been tough though.

Edit: Price went back up to $24.99. Must have been an error.

Onemic

Not sure when to bite for the Steam Edition. Currently it's $19.99 on steam, but the netcode hasn't been greatly improved from consoles in the beta at least. I want to get it before official release, but I guess I'll still hold out for a bit longer. Waiting has been tough though.

Have you officially left SF4 for KOF? I never see you in the thread anymore

vg260

Weird. Just went back up to $24.99.

I'm most likely going to give AE a break until Ultra comes out. I'll still play it online with friends, but I'm enjoying KoF a lot more right now. Also trying to learn Tekken in my spare time.

Yup, just noticed. Really weird.

Feel free to hit me up for online matches in either game. ( if KOF's netcode is fixed)

Weird. Just went back up to $24.99.
DOES THIS MEAN THEY ACTUALLY WILL FIX IT? PLEASE LAUD! :(

Feel free to hit me up for online matches in either game. ( if KOF's netcode is fixed)

DOES THIS MEAN THEY ACTUALLY WILL FIX IT? PLEASE LAUD! :(

Will do. I still have yet to play with Tekken Gaf, I'll try to get on this weekend and post in the thread when I'm on.

Also Juicebox is currently streaming some online matches. Not very approving of the netcode so far. Hopefully something is done, wouldn't mind if they delay the release as long as there is a solution.

shaowebb

Thank GOD Juicebox got a beta code. I was posting threads about getting someone to donate him a code to help with this Beta and give impressions on Steam, TYM and a few other places.

Soooooooooo glad he is in. I saw him hit HD combos at 3 bars, 2bars he ruled unplayable, and 1 bar is as bad as a TvC african connection. You can count the frames at 1 bar...if they come out.

I dont know his verdict on 4 bar since i left today, but the fact that he says its not great but its better than console and that he showcased HD combos online is enough for me to throw money at it. Thats more than I got right now by far.

shaowebb

The fact that it's on PC now mean at least there's a hope for netcode mod of some sort, I'm cautiously optimistic.

If HD combos online is a thing now then I can possibly bring back my Vice and make her a new team.

I currently run Andy/K'/EX Kyo....no complaints but I really liked Vice's style.

EDIT: Juicebox just played a 4 bar match! He says its barely worse than offline at 4 bars and thinks he can confirm off two hits!
DOUBLE EDIT: VICE HD COMBOOOOOOOOOO!!! The promised land has arrived! KOF XIII STEAM EDITION!!!!!!!! This and the King HD combo at 3 bars makes me tingle.

oh man, I want to get games in with all of KOFGAF when this drops. I'm currently watching Juicebox's stream, waiting for him to actually get another match. Gotta see it for myself.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
THIS just in and confirmed on Juicebox stream. The netcode now feels like a 4 bar on 1 bar and is now godlike. This is the KOFXIII netcode we've been waiting for all our lives!!!!!

mjontrix

Dammit, now I feel like I'm about to go buy an arcade gamepad...

Ah wells, least I'm going to be having lots of fun playing fighting games :)

THIS just in and confirmed on Juicebox stream. The netcode now feels like a 4 bar on 1 bar and is now godlike. This is the KOFXIII netcode we've been waiting for all our lives!!!!!

THEY'RE FIXING IT, THANK YOU, LAUD.
tumblr_inline_mqpkummD1k1qz4rgp.gif

BadWolf

Glad to hear they are making good progress, gives hope for the new KOF game they are working on.

They really should update the console version though, its the right thing to do.

shaowebb

Dang, why did this drop to $20 and then back up yesterday. I was about to bite at $20.

They posted a steam community thread on it. That was literally an error on Steam's part and steam caught the mistake and fixed it. They congratulated the folks who managed to get the $5 off though lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/juiceboxabel/b/448797131#t=10hr09m00s

go to 9 hours 11min to watch the MOMENT juicebox plays a 1 bar match on the NEW updated beta and starts freaking out halfway through it to the NFL Primetime motivational themes as he realizes this thing at 1 bar is like SFiv bad match but that the inputs were coming out regardless of screen lag. Dude starts tearing it up.

We need a new OT for this STEAM game to draw in the users IMO. Put this community back on the front page or something. Spread the word. Knock on the doors of peoples houses I DONT CARE GET THEM IN HERE!

WE GOT A GAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!

*^the moment hype overtakes sanity*

Goodbye Injustice. I can finally play KoF XIII!

Really good to hear Juicebox talk about how the netcode is getting better, keeps my hopes up. If this continues pretty sure I will get the game soon enough.

vg260

They posted a steam community thread on it. That was literally an error on Steam's part and steam caught the mistake and fixed it. They congratulated the folks who managed to get the $5 off though lol.

Yeah, figured as much. It's funny how you feel like a bad shopper if you buy a Steam game for anything less than 20% off.

shaowebb

Really good to hear Juicebox talk about how the netcode is getting better, keeps my hopes up. If this continues pretty sure I will get the game soon enough.

Yeah apparently in the beta only discussion thread on Steam SNK is in there with them saying they think they can keep cranking this thing and they are going to keep pushing it to get it even better.

Im so happy right now. I'll keep helping Tim Static and the guys at Test Your Might as a mod for their boards, but thats it. Im done. This is what I'll be focusing on and not Injustice. They have a wonderful community and I'm proud to help mod them, but this is the game that has me excited all the time. This will be my new game...just like I wanted it to be when I quit marvel over a year ago for it.

Loona

Nice - the Climax updates would have been sufficient to help make this the definite version of the game, but this extra push was needed.

However, the tournament scene might not fancy this much compared to consoles...

Now to come up with an alternative to the keyboard to play with - is it a safe assumption that anything USB should work, even if originally meant for the consoles?...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Now to come up with an alternative to the keyboard to play with - is it a safe assumption that anything USB should work, even if originally meant for the consoles?...

360 controller is fine. 360 arcade stick is fine. Later (read: Gen2 on?) PS3 sticks is fine since Mad Catz has drivers for it. PS3 is fine provided you trick Windows into thinking it's a 360 controller.

You know what isn't fine? Motioninjoy. Get the Xinput Wrapper instead.

Ohnonono

Sounds great! I will have to pick this up at some point.

Also I am assuming if Skullgirls and SF4 run perfect on my computer this should be fine as well? Is that a safe assumption?

Sounds great! I will have to pick this up at some point.

Also I am assuming if Skullgirls and SF4 run perfect on my computer this should be fine as well? Is that a safe assumption?

Here are the requirements listed on the steam store page:

System Requirements

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Pentium4 2.0 GHz and up
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 9500 GT ,VRAM: 256MB and up
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5 2300 and up
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTS 250 ,VRAM: 512MB and up
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio

The recommended is probably a bit higher than it needs to be, just to be safe. If you run SF4 fine I really don't see how this game would give you trouble.

mjontrix

Played a match online - only 1 bar rooms (to be fair I'm probably the only Aus/NZ person on there) but 1 bar is enough to play somewhat. Of course your moves are going to lag a bit (mine was ~400-500ms but I'd peg that to raw latency) but you definitely can get a match going.

2 bars+ would be more than enough imo. So the netcode is definitely good!

PS3 gamepads don't work out of the box but installing motioninjoy works wonders! FAR better than using a 360 controller and a 'free' gamepad that should suffice until you either get a saturn USB gamepad or an arcade gamepad.

EDIT: Not sure if a bug but sometimes Shen will have this weird orange artefact effect on his entire sprite - not sure if a bug or deliberate (since I haven't played any prior KOF games).

EDIT 2: Seems like another patch went live

Onemic

Looks like we all got our hopes up yesterday. Impressions form the beta testers seems to indicate that online is still terrible. (along with new performance issues) The reason why it seemed so good yesterday was because there was host adv. The other player still had extremely bad lag, while the host didn't feel a thing.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Played a match online - only 1 bar rooms (to be fair I'm probably the only Aus/NZ person on there) but 1 bar is enough to play somewhat. Of course your moves are going to lag a bit (mine was ~400-500ms but I'd peg that to raw latency) but you definitely can get a match going.

2 bars+ would be more than enough imo. So the netcode is definitely good!

PS3 gamepads don't work out of the box but installing motioninjoy works wonders! FAR better than using a 360 controller and a 'free' gamepad that should suffice until you either get a saturn USB gamepad or an arcade gamepad.

EDIT: Not sure if a bug but sometimes Shen will have this weird orange artefact effect on his entire sprite - not sure if a bug or deliberate (since I haven't played any prior KOF games).

EDIT 2: Seems like another patch went live

Stop using dat crappy motionjoy and get on the official PS3 controller driver of neogaf http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Juicebox is currently testing version 4 of the netcode on stream, and he had some very playable matches with a guy in Jersey. Still hope guys :)

Top Bottom