• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

BadWolf

How similar are iori with flames and nests kyo to the earlier incarnations of kof? Since online is a no go for me except through kof 98/2002 on ggpo, how translatable would you say the skills and fundamentals of those games towards kof xiii are?

Like Solidshark said, Iori can be played in a similar manner but EX Kyo not so much.

Iori will be different in that he won't be able to drive cancel or empty cancel his rekkas but other than that his game plan and movement will be pretty similar. Heck, in 2002 his BC (think XIII HD) combos will even look kind of similar.

I used to main Kyo is 2002 and he was a lot more limited with combos and his defense wasn't as strong (less guard point moves). He also doesn't have the running grab in 2002, nor does he have the Mu Shiki super in 2002 (its a command grab style Hidden DM in the game).

Also gotta remember that EX moves are a huge plus for them in XIII.

I think Reynald's GF play in EVO would work well in any game with Kyo Rekka.

Don't think so tbh, you can't spam sB into rekkas all day in 98/2002 and nor is his damage and defense as strong.

Onemic

Like Solidshark said, Iori can be played in a similar manner but EX Kyo not so much.

Iori will be different in that he won't be able to drive cancel or empty cancel his rekkas but other than that his game plan and movement will be pretty similar. Heck, in 2002 his BC (think XIII HD) combos will even look kind of similar.

I used to main Kyo is 2002 and he was a lot more limited with combos and his defense wasn't as strong (less guard point moves). He also doesn't have the running grab in 2002, nor does he have the Mu Shiki super in 2002 (its a command grab style Hidden DM in the game).

Also gotta remember that EX moves are a huge plus for them in XIII.

If you were to recommend a game to play online with to get better at XIII which would it be?('98/'02) If I were to go this route I'd probably play K'/EX Iori/EX Kyo

Don't think so tbh, you can't spam sB into rekkas all day in 98/2002 and nor is his damage and defense as strong.

BadWolf

If you were to recommend a game to play online with to get better at XIII which would it be?('98/'02) If I were to go this route I'd probably play K'/EX Iori/EX Kyo

KOF2002 is probably the closest because it has BC mode (which is similar to HD). Neither 98 nor 2002 have stuff like EX moves and drive cancels though.

98 doesn't have K'.

Ex Kyo is stronger in 98.

Iori is good in both.

Xiaohai is a pretty good example of a player that relies on strong KOF fundamentals to win in XIII.

Onemic

KOF2002 is probably the closest because it has BC mode (which is similar to HD). Neither 98 nor 2002 have stuff like EX moves and drive cancels though.

98 doesn't have K'.

Ex Kyo is stronger in 98.

Iori is good in both.

Xiaohai is a pretty good example of a player that relies on strong KOF fundamentals to win in XIII.

Do you know the main differences between 2002 K' and XIII K'?

shaowebb

I'll do every character eventually. Daimon is next.

I love you man. Your breakdown vids are what helps me put together what I need to get out of this game. I know I'm modding on TYM and involved in Injustice, but lately I keep playing KoF XIII. Its just a better game. God I need to get a local scene going for this game in WV. Getting real sick of repetitive matches and interactibles in NRS stuff. They're fun and I love DC comics, but the footsies and some of the lazy balance in tools in that game is just trash.

BadWolf

Man those Woo VS Mr. Kof and Ren VS. Reynald FT5 matches that were recently uploaded are really something.

- Woo was playing all random select, Mr. Kof was using his real mains
- Woo is so good with so many characters, I'm surprised he stuck to his guns in the grand final now.
- He knows Athena's butt loop really well, probably the only real match I've seen it done in (outside of those exhibition matches SNK uploaded way back). He basically did two sets of the loop in a combo with a side switch.
- He did an HD combo for Hwa Jai where he does the drinking super in the middle of the combo and then continues the combo O_O

- Ren is pretty nuts with the Iori rekka cancels when he is not under tournament pressure, and he does them even off of anti-air DP.
- At one point I litterally though he would do the Iori infinite, he kept it up for that long.
- Seems he goes through arcade sticks like no tomorrow, all those rekka cancels resulted in his stick crapping out on him mid match
- Reynald's Kyo and Beni are so awesome, glad he made them shine in the main tournament as well

shaowebb

Anyone think they will add anything new to KoF XIII steam edition? Like New Palettes or the 4 dlc already unlocked or something? Mainly I am just dreaming of good netcode. I reaaaaaaaaaaaally need online for this game because there is no one within a 100 miles left for me to play.

shaowebb

Just want the netcode to be good, however slim of a chance that might be. It really will give the game a major boost.

I know it would for me. I literally was checking Dream Cancel and the Facebook groups where the pros post and there truly wasn't anyone within 113 miles of me who played :c

Onemic

We could have played this game since I have it but since our SF4 connection vary greatly sometimes I was afraid of trying it.

KOFXIII? There's no point bothering. I live 30min away from Badwolf and there was still noticeable lag when playing online :/

BadWolf

KOFXIII? There's no point bothering. I live 30min away from Badwolf and there was still noticeable lag when playing online :/

We can try again if you like, my connection may have been fruity that day.

Pretty sure I've had better connections then we had the other day with people from other countries, on 2 bars.

Loona

Anyone think they will add anything new to KoF XIII steam edition? Like New Palettes or the 4 dlc already unlocked or something? Mainly I am just dreaming of good netcode. I reaaaaaaaaaaaally need online for this game because there is no one within a 100 miles left for me to play.

I'm hoping for the arcade Climax tweaks, since they're more plausible than a drastic netcode improvement - might as well at least invest on the game's strong points.

GooeyHeat

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222940

The supposed vastly improved netcode will either be a godsend or a point of ridicule for SNK for years to come.

(I will never stop bolding and underlining that quote)
Also includes all 3 DLC characters out of the box. Doesn't mention whether you still have to unlock Billy Kane and Saiki, though.

ShinMaruku

The Yuri booty loop and Mai's boobies have me interested but I have not pulled the trigger due to sf4 giving me a rough ride, should I jump in it?

Onemic

I get good matches in many games so I'm sure the netcode should be fine it's just the learning curve that has held my hand.

In KOF XIII games, or just games in general? Because if it's the latter, trust me, you know nothing Jon Snow.

Preordered the game off Steam. Really hoping that they're not spreading hyperbole with that vastly improved netcode statement.

shaowebb

ITS HAPPENING!

Oh God PLEASE let the netcode truly be as improved as they imply. I have NO ONE to play with locally and need good online ;_;

Jazz-ism

Banned
man if the netcode is as good as people are saying it really makes you wonder how the game could have done if it was that way from the start

Dandy J

http://steamcommunity.com/games/222940/announcements/detail/1695890246258773576

Y2 said:
We are incredibly happy at the reception and excitement at which KOFXIII S.E. has been received! Thank you for all of your comments, across these forums and across the web!

Firstly, allow us to explain a few things:

- KOFXIII S.E will be a fusion of KOFXIII CLIMAX and the Xbox360 version of KOFXIII. The gameplay of KOFXIII S.E. is based on KOFXIII CLIMAX. The UI, menus, and configs are based on the Xbox 360 version of KOFXIII
- Since there may be lower performing PCs out there, we have introduced a "Static" and "Dynamic" background system available in the Graphics Options menu. If you are receiving low FPS, consider trying out the "Static" background mode.
- There are also 2 Frame Rate modes available: "Fixed" and "Variable". In the interests of better online experiences, Online play will be fixed to the "Fixed" Frame Rate mode.
- The closed beta will only feature Online play. We understand the importance of excellent netcode and so we wish to utilize this beta test as a means of collecting feedback on our new netcode. We will then use this feedback to further improve the netcode where possible.

We have worked really hard on the netcode. We have run tests between the USA, UK and Japan, all with excellent results. But we know that through your testing and feedback, we may be able squeeze out some extra performance.

We look forward to working with you all in order to make KOFXIII S.E. an excellent gaming experience. September 13th will be an excellent day for us all!

Y2

shaowebb

http://steamcommunity.com/games/222940/announcements/detail/1695890246258773576

y2 said:
We are incredibly happy at the reception and excitement at which KOFXIII S.E. has been received! Thank you for all of your comments, across these forums and across the web!

Firstly, allow us to explain a few things:

- KOFXIII S.E will be a fusion of KOFXIII CLIMAX and the Xbox360 version of KOFXIII. The gameplay of KOFXIII S.E. is based on KOFXIII CLIMAX. The UI, menus, and configs are based on the Xbox 360 version of KOFXIII
- Since there may be lower performing PCs out there, we have introduced a "Static" and "Dynamic" background system available in the Graphics Options menu. If you are receiving low FPS, consider trying out the "Static" background mode.
- There are also 2 Frame Rate modes available: "Fixed" and "Variable". In the interests of better online experiences, Online play will be fixed to the "Fixed" Frame Rate mode.
- The closed beta will only feature Online play. We understand the importance of excellent netcode and so we wish to utilize this beta test as a means of collecting feedback on our new netcode. We will then use this feedback to further improve the netcode where possible.

We have worked really hard on the netcode. We have run tests between the USA, UK and Japan, all with excellent results. But we know that through your testing and feedback, we may be able squeeze out some extra performance.

We look forward to working with you all in order to make KOFXIII S.E. an excellent gaming experience. September 13th will be an excellent day for us all!

Y2
God I cannot wait. What are the KOF XIII Climax gameplay differences from the console versions though?

shaowebb

Pass that excellent netcode on to consoles too, SNK.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/09/snk...iii-climax-change-log-simplified-input-video/

Mostly bug fixes, nothing major.

Sweet. Thanks for that bug fix list. I thought there was more but I guess thats all. Apparently 02UM and 98UM were delisted from steam so I'm guessing they cut them to pour all their resources into KOF XIII. Someday I guess we can still hope, but I cant knock them for backing this beast. KOF XIII is amazing and I hope this skyrockets its attention.

Onemic

Sweet. Thanks for that bug fix list. I thought there was more but I guess thats all. Apparently 02UM and 98UM were delisted from steam so I'm guessing they cut them to pour all their resources into KOF XIII. Someday I guess we can still hope, but I cant knock them for backing this beast. KOF XIII is amazing and I hope this skyrockets its attention.

You got GGPO for those 2

Top Bottom