• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Edgeward

Online experience seems the most reliable version so far. My matches from west coast to hawaii are much more stable than version 6-8.

Now to get to what I love and hate. Mission mode. Hate failing them, love when I complete them. Makes me feel like a boss

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Most characters can tigerknee the fireball motion as most dps will not come out on up-foward.

Also, you could press f+a, quickly return to neutral, then qcf.

Have you ranked up yet on PC so I never play you? D:

Anyway how the hell do you drive cancel Kyo's tutorial drive cancel? Any time I do the command I'm not breaking the shoryuken action into the next move.

McNum

Have you ranked up yet on PC so I never play you? D:

Anyway how the hell do you drive cancel Kyo's tutorial drive cancel? Any time I do the command I'm not breaking the shoryuken action into the next move.
I'm a total newb at this game, but I DO know the answer to this one.

KoFXIII doesn't clear the movement buffer when you execute a move. So, when you've done the dragonpunch move, you're just one forward from having completed the motion you need for the next move. Do that as fast as you can and you should cancel it.

Oh... and good luck with the MAX Cancel tutorial.

Onemic

After playing a few games, this is definitely the best version of the netcode by far, and I'd even say it's a whole lot better than SF4's netcode at this point. Played a lot of matches with a 2 bar in Mexico and it was as smooth as butter. That would never happen in AE.

chriskun

After playing a few games, this is definitely the best version of the netcode by far, and I'd even say it's a whole lot better than SF4's netcode at this point. Played a lot of matches with a 2 bar in Mexico and it was as smooth as butter. That would never happen in AE.

yeah, the netcode is really fucking good. So excited! Actually have some motivation to play this game now!

Moaradin

So I bought this. Always watch it at majors and always enjoyed it but never bought cause I primarily play online.

It's tough going to this game from Skullgirls since that was very forgiving and this is more execution heavy. What button layout are people using? I have a Hori stick.

Shadow780

So I bought this. Always watch it at majors and always enjoyed it but never bought cause I primarily play online.

It's tough going to this game from Skullgirls since that was very forgiving and this is more execution heavy. What button layout are people using? I have a Hori stick.

Most people either use

AC
BD

or

BCD
A

I use the latter since that's what I'm used to playing NEOGEO machines during arcade days.

Wonko_C

Beta testers got the full version for free? HHNNNGGG So jelly I wasn't able to get beta access when I applied nor quick enough to snag one code from their FB. Is it true that the game has offline input delay when played on fullscreen, though? Is SNKP aware of the issue and will they be able to fix it?

Onemic

Beta testers got the full version for free? HHNNNGGG So jelly I wasn't able to get beta access when I applied nor quick enough to snag one code from their FB. Is it true that the game has offline input delay when played on fullscreen, though? Is SNKP aware of the issue and will they be able to fix it?

Not for me. I guess certain people are experiencing this issue and to compensate they have to go to windowed mode and fullscreen it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Had 4 matches last night... only one was almost unplayable.
I had really good matches during the beta though.

McNum

SNK game... final boss. SNK Boss! You gotta love a game that has a final boss that beats the crap out of you, and then the game offers to reduce his HP to 25% on the continue screen. And he STILL kicks the crap out of you if you choose that. Hint:
His weakness is sweeps. Crouch+D/HK. DON'T let him get the chance to do anything, knock him down and time your sweeps so he'll fall down as soon as he gets up.

The cutscenes are all missing subtitles for me, so I'll have to replay Arcade mode when that gets fixed.. But that's okay, because I'm missing an unlockable character. got billy, need the other one whose name I forgot. I heard that I have to avoid doing Target Actions to get that one? Umm... how do you avoid "Hit the opponent 3 times with a normal attack"? Set the game to very easy and spam fireballs with Athena or something?

Also... I unlocked a hand-drawn illustration of Yuri, Athena, and Kula when I beat Arcade mode. That's my exact team. Are there illustrations for all of them possible teams, or am I just not as original as i thought?

TheSeks

I dunno. Trying two bars had lag spikes. It was playable but not really recommended. 1 bar was complete trash. This was a week back when it was still "beta," though.

It's remarkably better than console releases though.

McNum said:
KoFXIII doesn't clear the movement buffer when you execute a move. So, when you've done the dragonpunch move, you're just one forward from having completed the motion you need for the next move. Do that as fast as you can and you should cancel it.

Oh... and good luck with the MAX Cancel tutorial.

Yeah, the advance tutorial is stopping me cold and making me think of dropping out completely.

I used to be able to do the drive-cancels for Terry on console but since I haven't played in months redoing them on PC for the target actions has completely lost my mind because I forget what drive cancels Terry has. Much less P.Iori and Ex.Kyo. Tutorial Kyo plays different from Ex. so... D:

Onemic

I dunno. Trying two bars had lag spikes. It was playable but not really recommended. 1 bar was complete trash. This was a week back when it was still "beta," though.

It's remarkably better than console releases though.
:

Ya, the netcode was completely different a week back. I think it was only at v9 then, which was when the netcode took a bit of a nose dive. The difference between the netcode then and now is big.

That being said, 3 bars and up is still the way to go for the most part, but 2 bars in KOF now feels better than 2 bars in SF4.

Anyway how the hell do you drive cancel Kyo's tutorial drive cancel?

The kick in the QCF+K needs to be pressed the moment the DP connects. The easiest way to do this is:

6236 + P, K --- F, D, DF, F + P, K

6236 buffers both specials at once. The majority of the game's drive and super cancels can be done in one motion by combining motions like this, especially when using longcuts, such as 632146+P giving a DP.

TheSeks

I don't get that. In non-technical terms: You buffer both commands at once and the game recognizes it?

Basically you already did the motion required for both moves, and after you do the dp, it still remembers you did the motion for qcf + k, so all you need to do next is press k when the dp hits.

I don't get that. In non-technical terms: You buffer both commands at once and the game recognizes it?

When you press the punch in 623+P, the game does not discard/throw out/forget the 2 and 3.

This is also used in sf3 and 4 in super cancels. Ryu can do QCF+P for a fireball, then another QCF +P triggers his super. Even though his super is QCF, QCF+P, you don't have to input a 3rd QCF because the game "remembers" the QCF from the fireball. KOF drive/super cancels can be done the same way.

Korigama

Also... I unlocked a hand-drawn illustration of Yuri, Athena, and Kula when I beat Arcade mode. That's my exact team. Are there illustrations for all of them possible teams, or am I just not as original as i thought?
Only for certain edit teams (such as that one), with full endings reserved for official teams, the only other illustrations for clearing arcade mode being for teams with an unlockable/DLC character illustrated individually (those requiring you to win against the final boss with that specific character).

There's an FAQ on GameFAQs that goes into greater detail on unlocking all of the illustrations.

McNum

Only for certain edit teams (such as that one), with full endings reserved for official teams, the only other illustrations being for teams with an unlockable/DLC character illustrated individually (those requiring you to win against the final boss with that specific character).
So I basically stumbled into a hard to guess unlockable? Cool. It's a cute drawing, anyway. Kula has a lollipop.

Korigama

So I basically stumbled into a hard to guess unlockable? Cool. It's a cute drawing, anyway. Kula has a lollipop.
A different, additional illustration can be unlocked by substituting Athena for Ash (Kula, Yuri, Ash). But yeah, a good deal of them are less obvious than others, while one is just a throwback to an official team in a previous game (Ash, Shen, Duo Lon).

McNum

A different, additional illustration can be unlocked by substituting Athena for Ash (Kula, Yuri, Ash). But yeah, a good deal of them are less obvious than others, while one is just a throwback to an official team in a previous game (Ash, Shen, Duo Lon).
Really? I was thinking of trying out Ash as a fourth man to sub in at times. Although I was thinking of having him take Kula's place.

Well, there'll be more Arcade Mode runs, I think. Hopefully I can beat the final boss without having to resort to continue bonuses at some point.

TheSeks

The kick in the QCF+K needs to be pressed the moment the DP connects. The easiest way to do this is:

6236 + P, K --- F, D, DF, F + P, K

6236 buffers both specials at once. The majority of the game's drive and super cancels can be done in one motion by combining motions like this, especially when using longcuts, such as 632146+P giving a DP.

Well, somehow finally completed the tutorial: something I never did on the PS3 version (and I guess I should do that since I own the disc...).

That Max Cancel is pretty bullshit. I'd enter the 41236 and think I'd buffered the 236 with a punch to where I'd faceroll 236+LPHP as quick as I could with no dice into the super max.

Somehow got it to work after that but yay? :/

That Max Cancel is pretty bullshit. I'd enter the 41236 and think I'd buffered the 236 with a punch to where I'd faceroll 236+LPHP as quick as I could with no dice into the super max.

For Kyo's max cancel from his 2141236+P into 236236+PP, the delay is too long and you need to input the full 236236+PP.

The game only remembers for a certain amount of time. We call this length of time the "input buffer". It sometimes varies for certain specials.

TheSeks

For Kyo's max cancel from his 2141236+P into 236236+PP, the delay is too long and you need to input the full 236236+PP.

The game only remembers for a certain amount of time. We call this length of time the "input buffer". It sometimes varies for certain specials.

So then how are you supposed to consistently do that? I'd start the HD with PP+KK, enter the 2141236+LP->Super/whatever it's called here start-up, as it's starting to play quickly smashout 236+PP/L1 to try to get it to "MAX CANCEL" into the Max Super and fail it like 5-6 times. Even with inputing it as 236236+PP the game would play out the super before doing the cancel each and everytime, even if I sped up to try to "cancel" before Kyo throws out any fireballs at the start of the first super.

So then how are you supposed to consistently do that? I'd start the HD with PP+KK, enter the 2141236+LP->Super/whatever it's called here start-up, as it's starting to play quickly smashout 236+PP/L1 to try to get it to "MAX CANCEL" into the Max Super and fail it like 5-6 times. Even with inputing it as 236236+PP the game would play out the super before doing the cancel each and everytime, even if I sped up to try to "cancel" before Kyo throws out any fireballs at the start of the first super.

In HD, press 2141236+P for the super, and when the flames connect (after the super flash) is when the two punches must be pressed for the neomax. input 236236 as kyo is throwing the flame. I can show you on my stream right now: twitch.tv/juiceboxabel

Essay

I never played the recent King of Fighters but I liked Guilty Gear, is it anything like that?

As a Guilty Gear main, this is my second favourite game right now. What it really reminds me of is Vampire Savior (mostly because of pacing and footsies), just with more-nuanced meter-management, different oki, pretty elaborate combos, runs, rolls, and a degree of throw protection.

Recall

It's astonishing that there are people who like fighting games yet have neglected the entire King of Fighters series, I'm so happy that people are giving it a chance now and will hopefully look at some of the older titles too.

King of Fighters XIII is a quality game.

Top Bottom