• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

I find it hard to approach with Robert. All these combos I've practiced and I can't get in. ;_;

His hops/jumps are floatier than most so this is a natural problem for him to have. Your best bet with him (and some other characters) is to have an aggressive defense that forces movement, so you can land lots of anti-air uppercuts and j.CDs.

Once your opponent starts moving in at a very cautious pace to avoid getting hit, then jumping in is a bit safer. Robert is not well-suited to the "RTSD" style, though you can make it work with consecutive reads.

Jesus Christ takuma's shitty jump arc and lack of anti-air is killing me

His best anti-air is j.CD. St.LP is also useful at certain ranges.

DO NOT think of anti-air as
1) I stay on the ground
2) He jumps
3) I react appropriately

In KOF, you cannot reliably react to all forms of movement even if you have a DP. Being proactive, though riskier, is often much more effective.

Better ways of thinking of anti-air are
- I think he might hop at me in a moment, so I'm going to hyperhop CD NOW.
- I think he might full jump at me in a moment, so I'm going to run at him to possibly run under him. I'm going to jump at a certain point if he sits there but if he jumps I'll try to catch it with a crouching HK.

Edgeward

Thanks Juicebox. I've been falling back to that style in most of my matches today so it's good to know I'm on the right track. I just need to take advantage of the oki once I get the knockdown.

Hopefully you do a vid on him and Kula in the future.

Just purchased the steam edition and this is the first KOF I've ever played. I'm not sure why, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the game. Even just linking crouching normals together is giving me a hard time. I can't seem to do them quick enough.

Any tips? I'm usually a SF, BB and MvC player. I haven't played any fighting games in about half a year and even my directional inputs are kind of bad right now.

Ken

what's a good beginner team/characters? i tried playig elizabeth because she looked interesting but im having trouble doing just her bnbs :(

Onemic

Just purchased the steam edition and this is the first KOF I've ever played. I'm not sure why, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the game. Even just linking crouching normals together is giving me a hard time. I can't seem to do them quick enough.

Any tips? I'm usually a SF, BB and MvC player. I haven't played any fighting games in about half a year and even my directional inputs are kind of bad right now.

You chain them, you don't link.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sure it's been asked... but is there a fighter pad that works on the PC and consoles?

360/PS3 controller (masked as a 360 controller because fuck MotioninJoy)?

I guess the Madkats 360 USB pad could sort of work.. if it wasn't broken within a week...

There is the Saturn pads "sold" on Ebay... but those are kinda rare.

Ms. Tea

Sure it's been asked... but is there a fighter pad that works on the PC and consoles?

http://www.play-asia.com/neogeo-pad-usb-paOS-13-49-en-70-3xf7.html - I owned the PS2 version of this and loved it to death. (Literally, unfortunately.) It has a clicky thumbstick that's like a miniature 8-directional arcade stick, which is very responsive and incredibly comfy to use. It's patterned after the one in the NeoGeo CD and the NeoGeo Pocket. Unfortunately the switches in mine wore out after about 18 months or so, but it was my favourite controller while it lasted.

TheSeks

My bad. I didn't mean gamepad. Just one of those fancy arcade stick setups.

Mad Katz' TE's will work on PC as a 360 controller. I think the PS3 versions even got a replacement board to work on PCs now.

Anyone know if Steam Edition beta tester got to keep the full game for free? I'm first batch beta tester(first 300 invites), after the released, my KOF XIII turned into full version and it still lets me play the game.

tzare

since there is no demo for the game, anyone knows if this game would run on a acer laptopwith a integrated graphics (intel 4500)?

thanks

since there is no demo for the game, anyone knows if this game would run on a acer laptopwith a integrated graphics (intel 4500)?

thanks

From what I've been reading about your specs, no, it probably wouldn't run optimally on that laptop at all. Had a similar problem with a laptop and similar specs recently. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

ShinMaruku

Welp, didn't take long for PC to die. No playermatches. :/

We knew it was going to die quickly. Some games are just not for some platforms. (Not Genre mind you but really if anybody expected KOF of all things to thrive they were not looking at things right)

ShinMaruku

maybe if it had *cough* GGPO *cough*.

It's not the net code that hurt this game, it's it's focus and steam's demographic. It's not wide enough to hold this game up. It has numbers yes, but are there enough people in it for KOF? Most certainly not. GGPO would have been awesome but that would hold help hardcore heads who followed this in the hope that this would be good enough to expand the player pool.

does anyone have any good anti king strats, keep on getting zoned out and then she does this jumping kick attack when I try to advance. I play Terry, Maxima, Iori. Also any scrubs on here wanna play with me, my steam tag is Oidokun.

I sent you an invite (mrteachwell is my steam id). I'm also looking for scrubs, noobs, and all sorts of beginners to play against as this is my first real fighting game since tekken 3 over a decade ago. I haven't got a 3 man team yet but would love for some friendly players to play against and practice some bnb's with (that's really all I'm confident in doing at this point, I'll save the hyper hops for later).

It's not the net code that hurt this game, it's it's focus and steam's demographic. It's not wide enough to hold this game up. It has numbers yes, but are there enough people in it for KOF? Most certainly not. GGPO would have been awesome but that would hold help hardcore heads who followed this in the hope that this would be good enough to expand the player pool.
Improved netcode can only help.

Onemic

is the netcode really improved? Like GGPO improved or simply less laggy than console? oh i see, the answer is no.

Slightly better than SF4's netcode. So yes, it's much improved.

I don't know why people are so eager to discuss the death of a fighting games scene that is not SF4/Marvel. it happens in every single fighting game thread even when there is no real basis for it.

I sent you an invite (mrteachwell is my steam id). I'm also looking for scrubs, noobs, and all sorts of beginners to play against as this is my first real fighting game since tekken 3 over a decade ago. I haven't got a 3 man team yet but would love for some friendly players to play against and practice some bnb's with (that's really all I'm confident in doing at this point, I'll save the hyper hops for later).

Going to send you an invite as well! If anyone else wants to add me, feel free. My steam name is RapidCancel and I have Magneto from first class as my avatar.

Slightly better than SF4's netcode.

I don't know why people are so eager to discuss the death of a fighting games scene that is not SF4/Marvel. it happens in every single fighting game thread even when there is no real basis for it.

Usually because SF/Marvel has been seen as a standard, so when another fighting game has a smaller fanbase, people who don't pay attention or know much about that community always thinks it's dead.

tzare

From what I've been reading about your specs, no, it probably wouldn't run optimally on that laptop at all. Had a similar problem with a laptop and similar specs recently. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.
thanks, will wait for a steam sale then and hopefully I'll have a new laptop then

Momentary

Banned
If you live in the South Eastern states and don't care for the single player experience or don't have local players in the area, don't get this game on Steam for online play. The latency is horrendous. Even 3 bar matches are unplayable.

OceanBlue

If you live in the South Eastern states and don't care for the single player experience or don't have local players in the area, don't get this game on Steam for online play. The latency is horrendous. Even 3 bar matches are unplayable.
It's fine for me and I live in Florida.

Momentary

Banned
Florida is its own thing. People in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina don't get good connections on this game. You've got a huge Hispanic (they love KOF) population there with a healthy fighting game community.

Plus whatever you find as acceptable latency isn't what I'll find acceptable. There are some people that can play with latency. I can't. These 3 bar matches people talk about play like pure shit for me.

Onemic

Florida is it's own thing. People in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina don't get good connections on this game.

How fast is your internet? I'm from Canada, have only 4mbps internet, and have been able to play anyone on the eastern side of the states(and even northern Mexico) with little to no problems.

Momentary

Banned
30mbps. Seriously.... It takes about 5 minutes to find one match with 3 bars. South eastern united states don't believe in anything that's not MK, SF, or Tekken. And on PC it's even worse. If you guys are talking about console play then you don't understand.

It's times like these that I wish companies would allow cross platform play,

Shadow780

Florida is its own thing. People in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina don't get good connections on this game. You've got a huge Hispanic (they love KOF) population there with a healthy fighting game community.

Plus whatever you find as acceptable latency isn't what I'll find acceptable. There are some people that can play with latency. I can't. These 3 bar matches people talk about play like pure shit for me.

I played with CommonSense and Gamewizard (both top 8 from TFC) with very little problem, I'm from NYC. Obviously it's YMMV but 3 bars+ is usually very good.

Onemic

30mbps. Seriously.... It takes about 5 minutes to find one match with 3 bars. South eastern united states don't believe in anything that's not MK, SF, or Tekken. And on PC it's even worse. If you guys are talking about console play then you don't understand.

It's times like these that I wish companies would allow cross platform play,

wait, so are you talking about latency or about the amount of available players?

And on the players note, I don't know what's up but I think there may be another search result problem like in the beta. There are over 300 people in-game atm(SF4 has just over 400 for comparisons sake) and I can't find any player or ranked matches when searching. This leads me to believe that there must be some problem with users not coming up in the search results even though they are hosting matches. There's no reason why SF4's player and ranked matches are teeming with players, while you can't find anyone on KOFXIII(Unless you yourself host) when there are only 100 more people playing the game.

I mean, the player/ranked situation is like how it was back when the beta first started and there were only 30-35 people online at any given time

It's times like these that I wish companies would allow cross platform play.

I'm glad I stopped playing this before 2013. Split community on consoles, less ppl to play. . . plus it was never busy online at all in the first place, very small userbase, it got really tedious waiting. It's also why i didn't get the steam version and just play kof on ggpo.

Momentary

Banned
Well I had a few smooth matches and it was pleasant. I've noticed just because someone has 3 bars it doesn't always mean that here will be minimal lag.

Now I'm not so pissed anymore.

TheSeks

The problem isn't the netcode (anything above 2 is fine with me, compared to the console version which was trash all around), the problem is the playerbase isn't playing online. At all. EVER. Everytime I try to join playermatches (which are supposed to be super casual/just fuck around and don't care) there is NO rooms. I haven't tried ranked (and can't care to try) to see if that is thriving like consoles, but it's really annoying to buy a title and not have player rooms. I think this is the first fighter I have EVER seen drop playermatches within a week of launch. It's crazy.

wait, so are you talking about latency or about the amount of available players?

And on the players note, I don't know what's up but I think there may be another search result problem like in the beta. There are over 300 people in-game atm(SF4 has just over 400 for comparisons sake) and I can't find any player or ranked matches when searching. This leads me to believe that there must be some problem with users not coming up in the search results even though they are hosting matches. There's no reason why SF4's player and ranked matches are teeming with players, while you can't find anyone on KOFXIII(Unless you yourself host) when there are only 100 more people playing the game.

I mean, the player/ranked situation is like how it was back when the beta first started and there were only 30-35 people online at any given time

I can believe that. But SNK needs to fix it pronto. If I can't play online, why the hell would I buy the PC version?

I can't find any matches and when I do, they are 1 bar. When I do a custom search for players in the same region (Asia) I get no rooms found. All the players I face seem to be from South America :/

This is really disappointing.

petran79

Banned
Slightly better than SF4's netcode. So yes, it's much improved.

on 2/3 barsI found it on par with SF4 red bar or empty bar connections. there is at least 3/4 second delay....considering that game is much faster, it alters gameplay a lot.

for 4 bars the opponent has to live in the same country or city with me.....which makes it pointless.

Skilletor

on 2/3 barsI found it on par with SF4 red bar or empty bar connections. there is at least 3/4 second delay....considering that game is much faster, it alters gameplay a lot.

for 4 bars the opponent has to live in the same country or city with me.....which makes it pointless.

3/4 second delay sounds like console version. I have had one match with delay that bad. I find it pretty playable on 3 bars. 2 bars is rough, 4 bars is perfect.

kdash7

Been playing KOFXIII on Steam and all have been good lag free matches. Bay Area, California.

Netcode is not the issue for me..BUT getting beaten up so badly by others is so painful!! It demotivates me so much! All these dream cancels, HD combos and what not just driving me nuts..I JUST CANT DO THEM!! Yet other people online are using them like its nothing. I just watch my ass get handed to me. I get so frustrated and that anger is then vented on other people at home who I love dearly. Straight out wrong and this makes me want to avoid playing it.

I have been a KOF fan from since 1998 (see my UserID). I bought KOFXIII on 360, PS3 and now on Steam. But these ultra combos/cancel stuff are way over my head and this makes me avoid the game and not have fun at all. Yet then I get this guilty feeling of not playing it since I have been such long time KOF fan.

I know i know..keep practicing...but just wanted to share my feelings that is all.

BFA

Been playing KOFXIII on Steam and all have been good lag free matches. Bay Area, California.

Netcode is not the issue for me..BUT getting beaten up so badly by others is so painful!! It demotivates me so much! All these dream cancels, HD combos and what not just driving me nuts..I JUST CANT DO THEM!! Yet other people online are using them like its nothing. I just watch my ass get handed to me. I get so frustrated and that anger is then vented on other people at home who I love dearly. Straight out wrong and this makes me want to avoid playing it.

I have been a KOF fan from since 1998 (see my UserID). I bought KOFXIII on 360, PS3 and now on Steam. But these ultra combos/cancel stuff are way over my head and this makes me avoid the game and not have fun at all. Yet then I get this guilty feeling of not playing it since I have been such long time KOF fan.

I know i know..keep practicing...but just wanted to share my feelings that is all.

I understand how you feel. I've been a KOF fan for a long time, with 95 being my first. The last one I played was 2003, so I'm not accustomed to all these new mechanics, but nevertheless I will just continue to practice. I do hope the rumor of the next KOF going back to its 98 roots is true though.

Also I'm from the Bay Area as well (San Francisco to be exact), feel free to add me and we can play sometime http://steamcommunity.com/id/76561197974933287/

kdash7

I understand how you feel. I've been a KOF fan for a long time, with 95 being my first. The last one I played was 2003, so I'm not accustomed to all these new mechanics, but nevertheless I will just continue to practice. I do hope the rumor of the next KOF going back to its 98 roots is true though.

Also I'm from the Bay Area as well (San Francisco to be exact), feel free to add me and we can play sometime http://steamcommunity.com/id/76561197974933287/

I stay in Fremont. Will definitely add you. I hope to God that new KOF rumor is true..

I can understand this a bit. Around mid-last year, there wasn't much I could do but be a punching bag for the close-enough online competition, and got me angry often afterwards. What really helped me improve and quelched the anger a lot was having a training partner. Talking to someone about why I got my ass kicked with a friend helped A LOT. If you can get one or two, or a group to practice with, I think it could be very beneficial for you.

Shadow780

I can understand this a bit. Around mid-last year, there wasn't much I could do but be a punching bag for the close-enough online competition, and got me angry often afterwards. What really helped me improve and quelched the anger a lot was having a training partner. Talking to someone about why I got my ass kicked with a friend helped A LOT. If you can get one or two, or a group to practice with, I think it could be very beneficial for you.

Yeah, it really helps if you have a sparring partner or two that's at your level or even better a level above you. That's really gonna help one's skill.

petran79

Banned
3/4 second delay sounds like console version. I have had one match with delay that bad. I find it pretty playable on 3 bars. 2 bars is rough, 4 bars is perfect.

I played 2 matches against the same player, with 2/3 bar connection, even peaking at 4. delay was less this time, around 0.5 sec.

but unlike SF4, connection stability is much less guaranteed in this game.

Top Bottom