• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Doing these missions is tough. @__@ I need to do some more practice mode before getting online since I've been getting bodied pretty easily.

Tizoc

Doing these missions is tough. @__@ I need to do some more practice mode before getting online since I've been getting bodied pretty easily.

Don't bother with the missions, but take idea from them on how to do combos.
Don't be afraid to spend hours in Training mode to find your best combos for a character or to find a character whose combos you like.
Hwa Jai for example can do great damage with one green bar for example, and at the corner, can wreck your opponent's health with HD combo into Lvl. 1 super.

FSLink

Banned
Picking this game back up due to Steam release.
Coming from a SF/Marvel background, I find Athena and Yuri really fun so far....any suggestions on a 3rd character and an order?

Anyone having joystick issues? I have a friend that has a PS3 TE and a Hori EX2 and the game isn't picking up either. Is there a solution to this or should i look into Joy2Key or something similar for this?

McNum

Hmm, played a bit of ranked. Won 2, lost 1. Not too shabby. Even if the two wins were the same guy. Sorry dude, but if you can't beat my Athena, you're not going to win. And if it's Ranked, I'm not going to hold anything back. That's for Player Matches. If it's cheap and can take out all three of your guys, I'm going to keep doing it.

Anyway, I think I'll keep Athena, she's definitely my strongest card at the moment. I need to practice her hcb, hcb+P Super, but I can be a real pain in the neck with her. She's much stronger after I learned to run after the slow Psycho Ball. I even had one guy try to NeoMAX counter it on reaction. Sorry, but I watched the Juicy Bits video on projectiles and you have to launch that thing BEFORE my fireball if you want to connect. Thanks Juicebox! I would have panicked and probably lost that round if I hadn't learned that I was safe in advance.

Yuri has potential. I'm beginning to master her speed, now I just need to get some offense out of that. Because a defensive character she ain't. Still her spot on my team is fairly secure. Her divekick is SO stupid, though. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you have to stand to block it, right? And the blockstun is so long that Yuri can land and do a cr.B before the opponent can move again? Doesn't that make it an unblockable? Basically, you have to avoid it entirely or get combo'd?

But... my Kula. Poor Kula. Try as I might, I just can't get anything going with her. I try a zoning game, but get countered. I rush them, but my offense isn't nearly good enough to pull that off. I pull back to breathe (both in the sense of breaking off and in the sense of using the ice breath to keep the opponent out for a second), but she's useless at far range. So... I might need a substitute. She's a liability at this point compared to my Athena and Yuri.

I think what I need is a character that's good against rushdown. Some players just go all out offense and it'd be nice to have a front character to go "NO!" and shut the rekkas and jumpkicks down the same way Athena dominates the projectile game. So, newb friendly anti-rushdown character? Any suggestions for a pointman?

Was thinking of giving Ash a shake, but he's another zoner, if I get him right. Meaning if I end up facing a tough anti-zoning character, both he and Athena are doomed. Maybe I should try... Terry? Rush the rushers, as it were.

Yuri's divekick can be blocked low. It causes enough blockstun that you pretty much always have massive advantage, but once players understand that they stop trying to press buttons and it becomes similar to a blocked j.CD.

Regarding a "newb friendly anti-offense character", you already play Athena :p

The best defense is a good offense. And in KOF, a good neutral game is helpful too. The key is learning how to defend yourself proactively with simply movement and normals. At that point projectiles lose a lot of value.

Hargenx

I want my old character design back, god how bad this shit looks...

Some of then get into some bad Deca Durabolin and some of the girls look like a fucking creepy doll from hell!!!

McNum

Yuri's divekick can be blocked low. It causes enough blockstun that you pretty much always have massive advantage, but once players understand that they stop trying to press buttons and it becomes similar to a blocked j.CD.

The best defense is a good offense. And in KOF, a good neutral game is helpful too. The key is learning how to defend yourself proactively with simply movement and normals. At that point projectiles lose a lot of value.
Yeah, Athena is awesome at newb level. I'm so going to hit a wall when I start running into people who don't fall for projectile spam. But I've started following the slow projectile in. I figure that it's harder to stick things out and hit a running Athena when she has one of those in front of her. Unless they have something that beats projectiles outright... but then I learn that.

Hm, I think it's time for a few more tryouts. Picked the current three by going into practice mode with a bunch of characters until I had three I liked. Got at least 20 more I haven't tried yet. There has to be one there I might find interesting. Maybe I should try out Kyo. He's giving me a bit of trouble when I fight him. Eh, I'll try most of them, see if anyone clicks.

As for movement as defense, I can really only learn that the hard way. Fight guys better than me and watch the replays to see how they got me. Then stop doing that.

K.Sabot

I just got a match that reminded me of KoFXII's netcode.

"Improved"

Still probably the worst fighting game netcode I've played since the ps2/xbox days.

Onemic

I just got a match that reminded me of KoFXII's netcode.

"Improved"

Still probably the worst fighting game netcode I've played since the ps2/xbox days.

Likely on your opponents end and not a netcode thing. Because that's never happened to me

Loona

Picking this game back up due to Steam release.
Coming from a SF/Marvel background, I find Athena and Yuri really fun so far....any suggestions on a 3rd character and an order?

Someone like Robert should work nicely as a transition from a SF mindset.

Moaradin

Jesus, 5 steps into the Yuri trial and it's already kicking my ass. The links in this game feel like street fighter 4, just a lot harder. Gonna be tough getting into this style of fighting game after playing a bunch of Skullgirls.

Level 6: 30 hit combo

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
happy to see that 'steam edition' brought new life to my beloved KOF :3

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
Jesus, 5 steps into the Yuri trial and it's already kicking my ass. The links in this game feel like street fighter 4, just a lot harder. Gonna be tough getting into this style of fighting game after playing a bunch of Skullgirls.

On trial 5? That involves a lot of buffering. It's not gonna be too hard to learn, you are just on trials. In regular play, you will rely on her divekick, her Yuri flip setups and crouch B. Think of her being Akuma-like.

chriskun

does anyone have any good anti king strats, keep on getting zoned out and then she does this jumping kick attack when I try to advance. I play Terry, Maxima, Iori. Also any scrubs on here wanna play with me, my steam tag is Oidokun.

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Yeah the trials in this game are hard as hell if you are not a veteran of the series. I remember doing well with the challenges in XI on ps2 but I could hardly go beyond level 3 on trials on XIII.

McNum

Hm, does anyone else have their number of online matches played reset to 0 when the game starts in the Steam version? And yes, I've checked. I'm not running it with the -s launch option.

It doesn't appear to affect anything, I still have my wins and losses. And my Athena has Infinite KOs per match in her stats, so you know, fear her. I know that's bugged, but it beats a divide by 0 error. Good on SNK to actually have a safeguard programmed in to not crash the game if you have more than 0 KOs in 0 matches.

I think I found my new starter, too. Going to try King for a while. She's quick, she's annoying, she doesn't use much meter, and she's dead simple on a newb level. Considering my last character is Yuri... Simple is good. And both Athena and Yuri probably wouldn't mind starting with a few stocks of meter if it becomes their turn. I need to try this out online.

BadWolf

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Just so people know, trials don't mean much when it comes to actual matches. Even experienced players have issues doing them.

Most of the bread and butter combos, including HD combos, that you will be using in real matches are much easier.

leakey

Just so people know, trials don't mean much when it comes to actual matches. Even experienced players have issues doing them.

Most of the bread and butter combos, including HD combos, that you will be using in real matches are much easier.

Truth. Many of the Bnb combos you will be using during a match are not nearly as difficult as most trials. Many trials are totally impractical (I'm looking at you, Terry).

Onemic

Truth. Many of the Bnb combos you will be using during a match are not nearly as difficult as most trials. Many trials are totally impractical (I'm looking at you, Terry).

Can't get past Terry's 3rd trial, but his BnB's are by far the easiest of any character I've played.

Momentary

Banned
Man... Screw these trials. I'd like to think myself as competent at fighting games. I've gone to tournaments, I've completed trials in all the SFIV iterations, but this is really kicking my ass.

DO you need to do something to unlock BIlly and Saiki?

Loona

Hm, does anyone else have their number of online matches played reset to 0 when the game starts in the Steam version? And yes, I've checked. I'm not running it with the -s launch option.

It doesn't appear to affect anything, I still have my wins and losses. And my Athena has Infinite KOs per match in her stats, so you know, fear her. I know that's bugged, but it beats a divide by 0 error. Good on SNK to actually have a safeguard programmed in to not crash the game if you have more than 0 KOs in 0 matches.

It's been happening during the beta and early in the release, but apparently got fixed in a patch earlier today, and an option's been provided to reset you stats. I'm yet to test it though.

As for Billy and Saiki, you have to fight and beat them in arcade mode - make sure to do as many target actions as possible for them to challenge you.
Saiki requires more of them, so be sure to use characters you can drive cancel with easily, as that's a common target action.

Edgeward

Man... Screw these trials. I'd like to think myself as competent at fighting games. I've gone to tournaments, I've completed trials in all the SFIV iterations, but this is really kicking my ass.

DO you need to do something to unlock BIlly and Saiki?

Billy Kane

Preform at least 2 target actions per match in arcade mode. He should then appear as a challenger, defeating him will unlock him

Saiki

Preform at least 5 target actions per match in arcade mode. Saiki should then appear as a challenger, defeating him will unlock him

chriskun

seems like theres barely anyone playing this game online, I'm only getting connections with Chinese players I think. Even 1 bar connections are pretty good though, way better than console at its best.

chriskun

thanks shark, although I would like more beginner players to play with, I'm sure everyone on Dreamcancel is pretty experienced.

thanks shark, although I would like more beginner players to play with, I'm sure everyone on Dreamcancel is pretty experienced.

Not everyone chris. Some members finally have a scene with the new netcode, so people are getting used to having competition. But you'll still find some beginners and players new to KOF there. Of course, you'll always have help available from more experienced players at DC or here.

Masaki_

Hey, Juice, are there more character basics videos coming soon? They're pretty good, but you haven't released any for the characters I really wanna play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Welp, didn't take long for PC to die. No playermatches. :/

Top Bottom