• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Hey we'll be streaming from Southtown tomorrow! We'll be running some exhibition matches and maybe even a tournament. I know mid-week can be tough for some players to get out there but if enough show up we'll do it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll have the PS3 version but getting Art the 360 version.

Perhaps they can patch in spectator mode. Someone should let them know though.

KAOS

Terareflection:
Don't know what region I played against but the best match was a 4 blue bar which still felt laggy. Almost as if your character had weight on him. Hopefully things will get ironed out.

N4Us

Hey we'll be streaming from Southtown tomorrow! We'll be running some exhibition matches and maybe even a tournament. I know mid-week can be tough for some players to get out there but if enough show up we'll do it.

Unfortunately I might not make it out to that. I'll at least try to tune in and talk about important issues such as the Dreamcast and MP3s at home though.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Unfortunately I might not make it out to that. I'll at least try to tune in and talk about important issues such as the Dreamcast and MP3s at home though.

pshh I know you're staying home to lab it up! Its all good but come out if you can. :)

I was about to complain that Fedex hadn‘t updated the status of my package all day, but now I saw that it‘s finally crossed the ocean or something and it finally reached the US. Oh god I hope it gets here tomorrow...how far away is TN from Mexico?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
We have some Reviews coming in:

IGN's Video Review (7.0) - They take off for "laggy online" and "cheap bosses".... (-_-;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMcEi7oNd34

An SRK Review by "Red Rick Dias", which has no score, but states: "In the end, $50 will net you a fine 2D fighter with a varied roster, excellent pacing, and the inclusion of several ‘quality of life’ touches to make things easier for tournament play. The King of Fighters XIII can definitely hold its own against more established games in the genre, and deserves to be in your library."

His impressions of the netcode: "I was able to play several matches against an Atlus representative for this review and found the online play worked fairly well. Both of us were landing decent combos, able to react to hop attacks, block alternating high and low attacks reliably, and so on. These aren’t bad results for a match between two players halfway across the country from each other, so I suspect it will be at least passable for most people. It’s true that no online experience will be perfect (such is the nature of the beast) and this was a test under only one set of conditions, but the results were encouraging."
http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/22/king-of-fighters-xiii-snk-playmore-gets-it-right/

A review from "VentureBeat" which gives it an 85 out of 100: this is one of the strongest and most relevant entries in the 15-year franchise. I won’t lie, the upgraded visuals are a substantial driving force in my championing of this game, but there’s also an undeniably deep and more importantly, enjoyable, experience under the surface. I believe that not only will fans love it, but it may be the game that finally snags a few newcomers as well.
http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/22/king-of-fighters-xiii-snk-playmore-gets-it-right/

-------

A direct feed vidcapture of an HK online match, that claims it was a 3 bar connection. It looks amazingly smooth, and these guys don't seem held back by the connection in the slightest.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7898VRMz8Oo

Not to mention the load times seem to have totally disappeared, and the uploader claims he didn't do any editing, just installed it...

mollipen

"cheap bosses".... (-_-;)

Complaining about cheap bosses in an SNK fighting game is like complaining about Princesses being kidnapped in a Mario game.

And seriously, anybody who complains about KOFXIII's bosses being cheap can't have played many SNK fighters. No way in hell are these bosses anywhere near some of SNK's top contenders for cheap-as-f**k bosses.

N4Us

XIII's end bosses (at least in arcade) are more annoying than hard, if anything. They're nowhere near as bad as Igniz or Magaki.

mollipen

XIII's end bosses (at least in arcade) are more annoying than hard, if anything. They're nowhere near as bad as Igniz or Magaki.

Hell, I remember playing against Shion* in XI until I was ready to throw my PS2 out the windows I was so pissed off.

* I think it was Shion, unless I'm blaming Magaki's cheapness on him.

Tizoc

Why are we even linking to reviews from game sites?
All we'll do is complain about them; it's a fucking waste of time.

Why are we even linking to reviews from game sites?
All we'll do is complain about them; it's a fucking waste of time.

I like to disagree. Most people here like to whine about them. Personally good or bad I still take in what the writer has to say as per their experience.

Olaeh

This is going to be my first KoF game so tomorrow I shall see how I like this series. Pretty excited to try something new!

Welcome to the definitive 2D fighting game experience :) I hope you enjoy it!

Man, this wait is absolutely killing me. On top of that knowing I have to wait a full day after release is even worse. I really should learn patience...

NEO0MJ

Cool, where u from mate?
I'm not that good but I know a thing or two ;3

I'm from your upward neighbor, the glorious Kingdom of SA.
Anyways, just picked it up. Only character I'm sure I'll pick up for now is Vice, really liked her design and moves in the old games. Any characters that compliment her well?

Tizoc

I'm from your upward neighbor, the glorious Kingdom of SA.
Anyways, just picked it up. Only character I'm sure I'll pick up for now is Vice, really liked her design and moves in the old games. Any characters that compliment her well?

Cool I chat with another fellow from KSA on messenger, will let him know it's out in KSA =3
My team will be Hwa Jai, Orochi Doppo and MAKASHIMA (gotta practice dem VAPAH CANOOON combos)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Really, so we're going to get a week of lab work in before you? Will you join us online?

If the netcode allows us yes. where you from? Im sure i will be able to play just fine with Shinriji (Brazil)

If the netcode allows us yes. where you from? Im sure i will be able to play just fine with Shinriji (Brazil)

East coast, South Florida to be exact. I'll be testing the netcode thoroughly tonight when I get my schoolwork out of the way.

Also everyone please share netcode experiences throughout the day. It'll help us form a solid understanding of what works & what doesn't.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
East coast, South Florida to be exact. I'll be testing the netcode thoroughly tonight when I get my schoolwork out of the way.

Also everyone please share netcode experiences throughout the day. It'll help us form a solid understanding of what works & what doesn't.

Great idea.

Terareflection:
Don't know what region I played against but the best match was a 4 blue bar which still felt laggy. Almost as if your character had weight on him. Hopefully things will get ironed out.
What about playing from the same region? Any improvements there? Is that even an option?

Imagine if you just replaced that IGN review of XIII and transplanted it with another game/genre.

Battlefield 3:

The final boss is singler player is really cheap and tough.

The storyline is confusing.

Online play can be laggy.

I can't wait to get my copy, I hope the online is good so I can show some of you guys just why they call my takuma "the old prick".

Was planning on putting in some lab time before i play online.
But if i get my copy today will play with you guys online tonight .

Lothars

So I am probably going to pick this up today, I have it preordered mainly for the soundtrack but I have played other king of fighters but only for a few minutes, so never really put much time in them.

I love fighting games so I wanna give this a chance at least.

Top Bottom