• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So as a big street fighter 4 fan, who isnt too fond of the speed and huge combo strings and constant air juggles of mvc3 or blazblue, where would this game fall into this range? I like shorter powerful combos, weightiness, strong hitting specials. Would this game interest me?

I would say so (Im biased as you may have guessed) while its combo heavy its not UMvC3 or BlazBlue crazyness.

So as a big street fighter 4 fan, who isnt too fond of the speed and huge combo strings and constant air juggles of mvc3 or blazblue, where would this game fall into this range? I like shorter powerful combos, weightiness, strong hitting specials. Would this game interest me?

If you don't have Gamefly already do the free trial and see if you like the game. If it's not your cup of tea you can return it and cancel your sub without getting charged.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Bought this game on a whim on amazon a few days ago, UPS just delivered to my door! Unfortunately I am at work. :|

Oh I havent played a KoF game since KoF2001. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much rape am I in for?

BadWolf

It definitely might. Its not as limited with combos as SF4 (where due to damage scaling long combos are pretty much useless) but at the same time its not combo after combo like in BB, MVC3 etc. Those long combos you see in XIII's match vids require lots of meter and happen once or twice per match, if at all, usually. You won't be seeing ppl pulling huge/kill combos right at the start of the first round like MVC3.

If you like shorter combos then normal and drive cancel combos shall serve you well. You can then move on to hyper drive if you want that extra edge.

No store in montreal has any listing for Tekken Blood Vengeance on it's own. Everything is Tekken Hybrid. :(

I don't have a PS3, but I do have a BD player...

Daaamnnnn

Takuan

My copy was sitting on my desk when I got into work today. Got the pre order bonus with it. Feels good, man.

I'm down for some netcode testing around 7pm est. PSN is steakjuice, a and I've got a head set so whoever I'm playing with can teach me the mechanics. I've played kof before, but the only one I played a lot of was 2002 (or whichever one had the Akira kid), and that was all vs CPU.

LowParry

I think I'm going to go and pick this up today. I've never really put good time with any of the KOF games (though I really enjoy and still do, playing BC) and figure this is probably the best time to try it out good. Where's GAF playing mostly? I'd like to be on the more community side of online play since there's nothing local. I'm leaning mostly on the 360 side.

ScOULaris

I love me some King of Fighters, but whether or not I end up buying this depends completely on the netcode. Which, as time has shown, is not SNK's strong-suit.

Ken

You sold me. I really like UMVC3 but it's too much for my aging reflexes to handle.
Same here. Lengthy combos and tons of stuff happening on the screen is pretty overwhelming to me.

Hopefully my copy will be at home when I get back. Will be my first KoF.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Still waiting for my package. It may be lost...not UPS's fault; it was delivered to my apartment front office an hour ago, signed for, and they can't find it. -_-

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Still waiting for my package. It may be lost...not UPS's fault; it was delivered to my apartment front office an hour ago, signed for, and they can't find it. -_-

That's happened to me before once. I saw the package in the mail room too I just didn't know it was mine. x:

Lyte Edge

That's happened to me before once. I saw the package in the mail room too I just didn't know it was mine. x:

We don't even have a mail room. They keep all the packages in the back of the office, so this is entirely on the staff. I have proof of delivery and the name of the person who signed for it is listed.

Why couldn't they have lost Marvel instead? :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
We don't even have a mail room. They keep all the packages in the back of the office, so this is entirely on the staff. I have proof of delivery and the name of the person who signed for it is listed.

Why couldn't they have lost Marvel instead? :p

Yeah, that kinda sounds like the same set up here. They just have a room where they throw all the packages so I had to stand in the doorway with a slip saying I had a package waiting for me and USPS tracking having the name of the person manning the office atm as signer for about an hour. I just really wanted my package since I waited over two months for it to come in.

ToD_

They did do release date delivery; my copies are already out for delivery. I have Prime too and release date delivery was offered for free as always, but I had to change the shipping speed in the order...no idea why they didn't change this for everyone automatically.

Good news - I just got shipping confirmation from Amazon, they're expecting the game to be delivered tomorrow. They're using Ensenda as the carrier. Never heard of them so hope they're reliable.

Next time I'll pay close attention to orders that should be eligible for release date delivery.

Lyte Edge

Yeah, that kinda sounds like the same set up here. They just have a room where they throw all the packages so I had to stand in the doorway with a slip saying I had a package waiting for me and USPS tracking having the name of the person manning the office atm as signer for about an hour. I just really wanted my package since I waited over two months for it to come in.

You don't even need a slip or ID here. They just ask for your apartment number. Not the best way to do things...I only just started having stuff sent here (was having packages delivered to my folks' house about three minutes away) recently because I was worried that shit like this would happen, lol.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
WTF ?!!

* Hugs Lyte Edge *

Dave Long

Banned
One thing I've always loved about this series is you don't have to be a combo master to be good. Strong normal attacks with a little bit of comboing and good timing of special and desperation moves can get you wins... provided you know how to block.

Really looking forward to the return of the KING.

playing first online match, 2 bar connection. This is pretty awful so far. Serious input delay. If this is any indication of how the average match is going to be ... yikes

OSHAN

I don't see any option to change the region but you can bet I'll be restricting my room to 3 bars and up.

I'm assuming 4 bars is max?

Does anyone know if there is any DLC planned for this game, or should I just give up hope in having Geese bust some heads?

LowParry

I'll be happy to test the game's netcode later tonight. Not sure which version I'm getting yet however. I'm in Utah so it makes a good ground for testing people from the east and west coast area's.

I'm assuming 4 bars is max?

Does anyone know if there is any DLC planned for this game, or should I just give up hope in having Geese bust some heads?

From what I've heard yes to the first question, and so far only EX Iori, EX Kyo, EX Takuma, and various unlock keys for people that would rather pay money than play single player.

Now I'm playing a 2 bar match that is far better than the previous matches, this game is odd. Still not "good" but this one is playable to a degree.

OSHAN

From what I've heard yes to the first question, and so far only EX Iori, EX Kyo, EX Takuma, and various unlock keys for people that would rather pay money than play single player.

I see. Thanks for the information. I guess you can escape your own death.

Quick question, what setup is a KOF13 arcade machine? The oldschool SNK abcd or the more street fighter style that KOF11 had. Im wondering if I should change the default buttons since I have a stick.

Grokbu

Quick question, what setup is a KOF13 arcade machine? The oldschool SNK abcd or the more street fighter style that KOF11 had. Im wondering if I should change the default buttons since I have a stick.
I believe you can choose between:

AC
BD

And:

BCD
A

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Got the game! Loving it so far. Trial combos are a real blast.

Online play: I've only had one match so far, but it was a 3 bar connection and I was happy with it. I was the host and the person I was playing was from the same state as me. Not perfect by any means but it was definitely playable. I personally don't have much of a problem if it's lag I can adjust to, which seems to be the case. B+ for the online if I had to rank it based on this match. Comparing it to MvC3 and SFIV is a little hard because it's been a little while. If I had to say it's probably a tiny bit worse than MvC3. IMO if you are a fan, and aren't expecting it to be lag free, it's still worth the purchase.

THE GAMEPLAY ITSELF IS SO GOOD! LOVING ALL THE CHANGES/CRAZY NEW COMBOS AND EX MOVES. QUITE REFRESHING!

For the record I despised KOFXII and my favorite KOF's are 2K2 and '98.

alstein

Went online briefly, got my ass kicked.

2 bars felt like playing SC4.
3 bars felt pretty good, though I don't have arcade experience it didn't feel off at all.
4 bars I guess would be near-flawless of flawless.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've had my copy for a week or so but neglected it. However, my body is ready.

PSN: Darshiro

I should change that to Scrubiro for fighters... =(

Played a 2 bar match, it was pretty bad. I'm going to try plugging my ethernet cord directly to my 360 and hope that boosts the connection, though I had no idea who i was vsing at the time.

Anyone figure out exactly how to unlock Billy and Saiki? I did the mini missions in arcade mode and vs'ed Ash of all people.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Haunts, rad! You can help me out with this. Never played KOF on stick before, is there a concrete better button config or is it all preference?

I use:

AC
BD

I dont know why I prefer that layout but I do.

I hear if you're an Ash player you have to use

BCD
A

cuz its easier to activate his custom combo crap? sorry I dont know but yeah its all preference really.

Top Bottom