• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Now im playing a guy with three bars and ... at this point I'm very much okay with the netcode. I can barely feel the lag with this one. KOF13 pretty much brings the entire spectrum when it comes to the playability of a match. Some you'll play will make you want to cry, others will be quite enjoyable. I'm content with the playability of the online in this game. (PSN)

I liked how you inserted pure honest fighting in there man. I feel you on that I don't need a big comeback mechanic to win (not saying these are bad).

I hear if you're an Ash player you have to use

BCD
A

cuz its easier to activate his custom combo crap? sorry I dont know but yeah its all preference really.

hmm I'll need to try this later.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Locked and loaded! Im waay too busy with Zelda (and UMvC3) to play KoF, but I still had to buy it day 1 and give my support (plus, the gamestop dude hooked me up with the preorder OST for no reason :)

media

Played a 2 bar match, it was pretty bad. I'm going to try plugging my ethernet cord directly to my 360 and hope that boosts the connection, though I had no idea who i was vsing at the time.

Anyone figure out exactly how to unlock Billy and Saiki? I did the mini missions in arcade mode and vs'ed Ash of all people.

I got Billy by just playing Arcade Mode. He showed up and unlocked after I beat him.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played some matches online in the PS3 version. One two bar ranked match, which despite having lag, was actually PLAYABLE, making it 1000000 times better than XII was right there...did not feel much input lag and was able to finish off the match with an EX-into-DM cancel at the right moment with no problem.

Then I played some player matches with someone with a three bar connection. Felt pretty good, although definitely not as good as SSF4. I'd put it on par with MvC3 so far.

There's plenty of filtering options available (you can do BOTH region AND latency in some modes), which is good.

Installing the 360 version now.

Does KOF XIII (PS3) have a mandatory install or an optional one?

Optional. It should be mandatory...don't know what they were thinking.

How do you unlock Billy and Saiki? Went though arcade once and only fought Ash.

If it's anything like the other "challanger" characters in arcade mode from the rest of the series, it'll depend on how many wins you got with DMs and stuff like that.

GrayFoxPL

How do you unlock Billy and Saiki? Went though arcade once and only fought Ash.

From earlier infos Billy is sub boss. If it goes oldschool snk way, you must win fights without using continue and/or achieve big scores with dm's before subboss.

And probably on Normal or higher difficulty.

Edit: Solar!
*Shakes fist.

From earlier infos Billy is sub boss. If it goes oldschool snk way, you must win fights without using continue and/or achieve big scores with dm's before subboss.

And probably on Normal or higher difficulty.

Edit: Solar!
*Shakes fist.

I can confirm that I got Billy in Arcade mode on Normal without using any continues. I'm also pretty sure I didn't lose my first character before getting to him. I have no idea what a dm is, so I probably didn't have any of those and I doubt I had a big score.

I can confirm that I got Billy in Arcade mode on Normal without using any continues. I'm also pretty sure I didn't lose my first character before getting to him. I have no idea what a dm is, so I probably didn't have any of those and I doubt I had a big score.

dm = desperation move or in KOF13's case neomax

mollipen

Review got pulled. Here's the text. Normally I wouldn't be an ass and post something like this, but this is just too good. I'll at least keep the poor guy's name off the quote.

It’s no secret that many fans loathed The King of Fighters 12, the game was lacking in many areas and is probably viewed as the worst game in the franchise. With The King Of Fighters 13, SNK Playmore hopes to make up for the short comings of 13′ predecessor.

Does the studio succeed in crafting an expansive fighting game? Or does this title crash and burn? Unfortunately, it’s mostly the latter.

It’s probably best to start off with the good side of things. Those who already have The King Of Fighters 13 on pre order will also get a four disc soundtrack containing music from the franchise’s long and storied history, which is a huge bonus considering just how good the game’s music is. In addition to this… well actually that’s really it – as everything else about The King Of Fighters 13 is pretty disappointing.

To start, the game’s menu system is vastly outdated. It’s really just a series of bars that the player scrolls through until they find what they’re looking for. It’s bland, boring and can sometimes cause the player to miss what they’re looking for as there’s no way to differentiate between them aside from the text and a picture on the right hand side. Luckily, there are a variety of game modes to keep the player entertained. Well, when they work that is.

Most players new to the franchise will probably start off in the tutorial mode, which this reviewer still can’t figure out how to conquer. The first of the two tutorials is easy enough – but, in the second, the game attempts to teach the player about the power gauge and special attacks. Sounds simple enough until the player realizes they can’t proceed until they complete a special attack which requires a total of eight button presses. The eight button combos wouldn’t be such an issue if they actually worked – but whether it’s an input lag problem or a data glitch, gamers will find it especially difficult to pull off more complicated attacks. After pressing each button in succession and still getting no results, except for a sore thumb, players will probably give up on the tutorial and move onto the story mode.

Don’t.

Seeing how The King of Fighters 13 is cursed with being a pretty niche title already, it’s clear that Atlus and SNK Playmore weren’t going to have the funds to make any real cutscenes or do any polishing – instead players will find themselves staring at a scrolling image while reading basically unskippable text. While the text itself is skippable, doing so would result in missing an entire cutscene. If the fighting held up this would be slightly forgivable, but sadly the aforementioned 8-button special attacks (and subsequent input problems) will mean that players won’t really be able to advance far enough into the story before they are confronted with an opponent who is able to execute brutal combos in a snap – faster than players can even fire-off a special attack.

There are also a few other modes for players to dip their feet into, though most of these suffer the same issues as the main story – albeit without the messy storytelling. There’s an arcade mode which allows players to build a team of three fighters and then face off against other CPU controlled teams. The mode works until the difficulty starts to increase and players find themselves struggling to fight characters with more proficiency than them, which means players will get roughly three fights in before getting destroyed. There’s also a survival mode which is similar to arcade except health doesn’t regenerate afterwards. In addition to the arcade and survival modes, there’s also a time trial mode. There’s really no point in detailing it because in the end players will just end up finding they fall into the same cycle of terribly extensive combos and imbalanced enemies.

One game mode that slightly rectifies this issue is the game’s versus mode, which allows two players to fight head to head. Thankfully because both characters are player-controlled the playing field is evened – and ends up being much more fun than any of the other game modes. Two players can also fight head to head online. Unfortunately we were not able to test out the online portion of the game – either the servers aren’t up yet or the matchmaking is just broken -so we’ll be sure to update our review post-release. That said, the online portion is equally unpolished – if no game is found The King of Fighters 13 will just continue to search, leaving the player wondering why it’s taking so long to find a match while the same repetitive pseudo-hard rock tune continues to play.

The King of Fighters 13 experience boils down to a series of poorly executed ideas. It’s surprising that this game got a pass with the terrible controls and match-imbalances. Executing combos and special attacks – a necessity for winning – is nigh impossible, especially with the precision and timing required.

If there’s any consolation, it’s that the game’s art style is gorgeous – the water color characters really jump and the music is amazing. So, players who already have the game pre-ordered will still get an awesome four disc soundtrack. As for the game itself, it’s probably best to keep the soundtrack and then return the game later on. Simply put: The King Of Fighters 13 is bad and SNK Playmore should definitely up their game if they intend to release The King of Fighters 14.

The King of Fighters 13 is available now for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Review got pulled. Here's the text. Normally I wouldn't be an ass and post something like this, but this is just too good. I'll at least keep the poor guy's name off the quote.

Wow, good thing I didn't pre-order this. You failed me again, SNK

/wontbefooledagain

/willbeinterestedinKOF14

Uh, no.

DM = Desperation Move = Supers that only use 1 bar

Big difference, but the amount of Neomax finishes could have something to do with the conditions too, wouldn't hurt to try.

Well, the only thing I remembered how to do was Terry's Power Geyser and I didn't land too many of those so I doubt whatever that is considered is required for unlocking Billy.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Why on earth would you NOT want to install the game??
Believe it or not some folks dont like installs so SNKP made it optional also codebase parity between consoles.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In regards to the review shidoshi posted, what "eight button combination" is he referring to in Training?

mollipen

Like 6 or 7 years ago I stopped reading any reviews. Best decision in my gaming life.

That's not really fair, though, because there are a lot of us out there who are legitimately trying to do a good job with the reviews we write, as well as make sure we're matched up with games that we have actual knowledge on and experience with.

In regards to the review shidoshi posted, what "eight button combination" is he referring to in Training?

I think that was his explanation for movements like D, DB, B, DB, D, DF, F, and so on.

I am complete noob to the series. I really don't have time to learn a new fighting game these days, but I am definitely going to try to give this game a chance and learn some of the basic mechanics and hopefully get something going.......or at least admire the pretty graphics.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think that was his explanation for movements like D, DB, B, DB, D, DF, F, and so on.

Wait, what? He's counting a QCB as a three button execution? HAHAHAHAHA

Dark Ash.

HOW?

Pray? Play the lamest you've ever played? I don't know, I've never gotten the chance to reach him on the arcade (someone always kicks me out before even reaching Saiki >_>). He does look like one of the tamer SNK bosses though, so yeah...

GrayFoxPL

That's not really fair, though, because there are a lot of us out there who are legitimately trying to do a good job with the reviews we write, as well as make sure we're matched up with games that we have actual knowledge on and experience with.

Believe me I've read religiously gaming reviews for over 20 years. Started realizing that I've become more and more unhappy with my purchases based on said reviews. Nothing fit.
The absolutely last straw was GTA San Andreas. It ended my no1 most hated game and not a single of 20+ reviews I've read before shared my views.

Review is just a overwritten opinion of one guy, I can read 100 different opinions on a game for week on Gaf and I value it much more then any "pro" review as there's always varied logical counter opinions.

Never felt so free the first time I absolutely ignored every review and score on the web for a game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Dear Ms. Kadey S.

Your order has been shipped.

Date Shipped: 11/22/2011

Playstation 3 / King of Fighters 13
Xbox 360 / King of Fighters 13

Too bad I won't get it till Friday likely. Holiday shipping yo.

thetrin

Can you blame them? The game isn't exactly doing anything to win over non fans. (and there's nothing wrong with that!)

Honestly, I think you could say the same for the majority of fighting games. The genre has once again become just as impenetrable as it was before.

That's not a knock against the community. It's more a knock against journalists for not willing to go the extra mile to figure out fighting games. The Silicon Era preview for KOFXIII was great, though.

At the same time, it's not like RPGs are not a particularly complex genre, yet there are plenty of people qualified to do reviews for RPGs. What is the deal with fighting games constantly getting know-nothings to review them. It can't be that hard to look in an office of 50 gamers and find one guy that knows how to play a fighting game. I'm not talking about tournament level. I'm not tournament level. But I could certainly tell what makes KOFXIII a good or bad game in my eyes, with a degree of technicality involved.

Top Bottom