• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

kunonabi

Quick question, what layout are you stick players using?

Old school arcade Kof was ABCD: light punch/light kick/hard punch/hard kick

some prefer 2x2 AC setup with light punch/hard punch
BD light kick/hard kick

I prefer the ABCD setup myself but newer players tend to be more comfortable with the 2x2

haunts

Bacon of Hope
oh man just ran into someone who was super salty. i gotta say tho playing online you gotta adjust your game a lot. its playable but after a while you start to see shit that should be easy punishes seem almsot impossible to punish online.

i guess its like a lot of other fighters online but with hops and stuff its harder to react to certain stuff in this game.

zlatko

Banned
oh man just ran into someone who was super salty. i gotta say tho playing online you gotta adjust your game a lot. its playable but after a while you start to see shit that should be easy punishes seem almsot impossible to punish online.

i guess its like a lot of other fighters online but with hops and stuff its harder to react to certain stuff in this game.

You're too nice. According to Arturo the game's online is ass.

simtmb

Old school arcade Kof was ABCD: light punch/light kick/hard punch/hard kick

some prefer 2x2 AC setup with light punch/hard punch
BD light kick/hard kick

I prefer the ABCD setup myself but newer players tend to be more comfortable with the 2x2

Yeah, I've been using the old school layout as I'm most comfortable with it. I thought of trying different ones for this new entry, but I'll stick to:
BCD
A

6392861323_2de9728531.jpg

I'm in there.

Humorously, SNK’s own Exar Neo Geo Stick 2 USB for PS3 does not work with the game. The Neo Pad 2 works fine, but that is officially licensed by Sony and has a PS button.

Takuan

No one's yet mentioned what modes unlock colors... Does anyone know?
I'd like to know this, too. The default selection is lacking.
Anyone up for some matches?

PSN ID: Diavlestein

Hey, either we played Tuesday night or I saw your nick in the games list.
We should totally do it again, or do it for the first time tomorrow night. I'm in Toronto, and I'd like to try a few things to ensure I get the best connection possible. PSN is SteakJuice.

Word of warning, I'm terrible.

I'd like to know this, too. The default selection is lacking.

Hey, either we played Tuesday night or I saw your nick in the games list.
We should totally do it again, or do it for the first time tomorrow night. I'm in Toronto, and I'd like to try a few things to ensure I get the best connection possible. PSN is SteakJuice.

Word of warning, I'm terrible.

Play at least 40 matches in versus or online to unlock all colors for that team, at least 10(for that team) to unlock a new row. You can play against the CPU in versus.

Takuan

Sweet, thanks. If only I could get a month off work to do nothing but play games... Sigh. It's rare that there's so much I want to play at any given time. I just got my dota 2 invite today, too.

I'm totally going to do what gundamkyoukai said.

shaowebb

Am I the only one with a cosplay thingy so far for Kadey? I'm down for getting in on KOF, but really hoping to see some KOF cosplay since my only one is a quickie that deserves to be beaten for the copy of KOF 13 on 360.

AAK

Damn I suck so much.....

It took me 1 hour and 13 minutes to do Trial 3 for King.... TRIAL 3! I just don't have the dexterity required for this game.

But the fact that I stayed on it practicing for that long is a testament to how fun and satisfying this game can be. I'm glad I made the purchase :)

(Still haven't tried online yet)

Just came back from my first KOF Ranbat, gaf. Everyone in the Charlotte area was pretty new to the game so the day 1 technology was fierce. Still managed to find my way to grand finals (8-9 man tourney, not bad for a ranbat setup on a game thats all of 1 day old on consoles).

Summary of events :

-Settled on a main team for the tournament, and a team that I plan to flesh out in the coming weeks. Andy - Ryo - Kula all day.

-Dropping Joe. The guy was my bread and butter for KOF98/2k2 but something about him in 13 just isnt clicking with me. The lack of his old far.D is really hurting my ground game and his damage options midscreen and meterless are just ... blech. His normals overall are just really disappointing to me. Couple that with what I see as either less frame advantage on block from crescent kicks is just ... not for me. I may come back to him but at this point hes all but fallen off my radar.

-Andy. Know next to nothing about you but your normals are fantastic, despite this you wrecked random Clark.

-Ryo's parry? Godlike. Also the only person who landed a neomax in a combo. (Jump in, cr.C, Ex Hadouken, Neomax). The whole cancelling crouching D into low parry is amazing and is the perfect throw or overhead setup.

-Kula. Really the only character I was getting any significant damage off of, really enjoyed playing her and she was the perfect anchor for my team. Also reflected one of Takumas instant EX fireballs. Felt good.

-Clark. This guy gave me a lot of grief during tournament play, his normals overall are just fantastic and hes got a lot of tools to keep you guessing. Definitely a character to watch out for. His jumping D(?) is SUPER scary and beat out all of my air to air attempts. Found out Andy's shoulder charge beat it clean in the second grand finals match though and that Clark was a wrap.

Quick tip for Pad players trying to use Ryo. The multiple punch special (forward back forward punch) is going to give you a lot of grief if you dont know how to work with this games input leniency. Try it the normal way and chances are you'll get super but if you can manage to do a standing 360 starting at forward and ending at up-forward the game will see it as the multiple punch special. Best solution I have for this really stupid input. Think about it like moving from forward, half circle back to the back position, then going straight to up-forward.

Tizoc

Play at least 40 matches in versus or online to unlock all colors for that team, at least 10(for that team) to unlock a new row. You can play against the CPU in versus.

So I cna play 40 versus matches with any character or a set of 3 characters and I'll unlock all the colors?

Olaeh

My thumb is completely raped from playing this all day on a DS3 :/ But I just can't stop! I'm going to have to find a good stick for PS3... The guy at Fry's tried to sell me the SFIV stick for $150. Is it worth it?

My thumb is completely raped from playing this all day on a DS3 :/ But I just can't stop! I'm going to have to find a good stick for PS3... The guy at Fry's tried to sell me the SFIV stick for $150. Is it worth it?

Yeah but you should be able to get it cheaper when Madcatz does their promos during fighting game events.

Gametrailers review is up with an 8.5

Downsides being netcode issues, gameplay being overwhelming for beginners and the pixels when zooming in during neomax (despite the blurring).

I've noticed that the XBOX version seems to load faster from the disc than it does from an HD install. Anyone else notice? Is this common when installing XBOX games?

Kerrinck

Probably been asked a ton of times before but is the netplay any good?
I have an obligation to get it being a south american and all but since most of my friends have moved, I will have to play it online most of the time.

Gametrailers review is up with an 8.5

Downsides being netcode issues, gameplay being overwhelming for beginners and the pixels when zooming in during neomax (despite the blurring).

I've noticed that the XBOX version seems to load faster from the disc than it does from an HD install. Anyone else notice? Is this common when installing XBOX games?
just saw that review .. i agree on most part . Online is still unknow ( for me ) and the KOF learning curve is steep ( always was ).
KOF13 seems to be a legitimate improvement over kof 12

dock

My copy just arrived from ShopTo... without music CD. -_-

Got some work to do, but I'll play during my lunch in a couple of hours. Should I expect long installs or updates on PS3? :/

Looking forward to dusting off my VGHG stick. :)

Grokbu

My copy just arrived from ShopTo... without music CD. -_-

Got some work to do, but I'll play during my lunch in a couple of hours. Should I expect long installs or updates on PS3? :/

Looking forward to dusting off my VGHG stick. :)
Nooo!

I hope my shopto copy has got the music CDs. :(

dock

Update on the CD situation. It seems that ShopTo are shipping the music CD separately from the game, and that'll arrive tomorrow or a bit later.

(don't worry Grokbu!)

alstein

Just came back from my first KOF Ranbat, gaf. Everyone in the Charlotte area was pretty new to the game so the day 1 technology was fierce. Still managed to find my way to grand finals (8-9 man tourney, not bad for a ranbat setup on a game thats all of 1 day old on consoles).

Summary of events :

-Settled on a main team for the tournament, and a team that I plan to flesh out in the coming weeks. Andy - Ryo - Kula all day.

-Dropping Joe. The guy was my bread and butter for KOF98/2k2 but something about him in 13 just isnt clicking with me. The lack of his old far.D is really hurting my ground game and his damage options midscreen and meterless are just ... blech. His normals overall are just really disappointing to me. Couple that with what I see as either less frame advantage on block from crescent kicks is just ... not for me. I may come back to him but at this point hes all but fallen off my radar.

-Andy. Know next to nothing about you but your normals are fantastic, despite this you wrecked random Clark.

-Ryo's parry? Godlike. Also the only person who landed a neomax in a combo. (Jump in, cr.C, Ex Hadouken, Neomax). The whole cancelling crouching D into low parry is amazing and is the perfect throw or overhead setup.

-Kula. Really the only character I was getting any significant damage off of, really enjoyed playing her and she was the perfect anchor for my team. Also reflected one of Takumas instant EX fireballs. Felt good.

-Clark. This guy gave me a lot of grief during tournament play, his normals overall are just fantastic and hes got a lot of tools to keep you guessing. Definitely a character to watch out for. His jumping D(?) is SUPER scary and beat out all of my air to air attempts. Found out Andy's shoulder charge beat it clean in the second grand finals match though and that Clark was a wrap.

I was there, had to leave early, thought I played terribly. I was super-depressed afterwords at how I couldn't get anything to come out period. You overused that parry though in casuals. I think I might have just gotten downloaded, which happens- it's entirely your own fault when you get downloaded, but it's usually fixable.

Kioshen

Speaking of music CD, where is the custom soundtrack option for PS3?

1. Boot the game
2. Go to the music section on the in-game XMB
3. Select Playlist/album of choice
4. ?????????
5. CUSTOM SOU... erm PROFIT !!!!

That's usually how it goes on PS3 when the game supports it.

----

Didn't have much time yesterday but I tried a first run on arcade with Yuri, Shen and Terry. Yuri is a keeper for sure. Feels like a mini Akuma and really like her options. The other two felt awkward in some ways since I didn't know how to get in properly. In SF I jumped like an idiot but in KoF for some reason my feet are attracted to the ground. This game is so much fun.

Damn I suck so much.....

It took me 1 hour and 13 minutes to do Trial 3 for King.... TRIAL 3! I just don't have the dexterity required for this game.

But the fact that I stayed on it practicing for that long is a testament to how fun and satisfying this game can be. I'm glad I made the purchase :)

(Still haven't tried online yet)

The j.d one? Yeah, practice mode made me remember something about this game concerning comboing from jumps, you have to land the hit pretty close to your opponent for the close.c to cancel, like lower body close to opponent's head close. They changed it for the console version, so combos from jumps are somewhat less effective.

dock

Just played this over lunch. First impressions: love the art (I skipped KOFXII after playing it at a friend's house), wish I could play it better. I played through the story mode, and stopped at the boss. I hate SNK bosses, and I was pushed for time. The requests to do certain inputs were pretty interesting, I just wish that I had some better reference for how to play the game during gameplay. I still don't know what Desperation moves are, and whilst I'm sure there's a tutorial for them it's not much help.

Still worried about trying to get friends to play this, as it doesn't seem very accessible.

Just played this over lunch. First impressions: love the art (I skipped KOFXII after playing it at a friend's house), wish I could play it better. I played through the story mode, and stopped at the boss. I hate SNK bosses, and I was pushed for time. The requests to do certain inputs were pretty interesting, I just wish that I had some better reference for how to play the game during gameplay. I still don't know what Desperation moves are, and whilst I'm sure there's a tutorial for them it's not much help.

Still worried about trying to get friends to play this, as it doesn't seem very accessible.

DMs are fancy names for Supers, try to show them anyways, introduce them to characters like Andy, K', Terry, etc.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DMs are fancy name for Supers, try to show them anyways, introduce them to characters like Andy, K', Terry, etc.
Desesperation Moves are the original supers
Specials were supers if i remember correctly.

AAK

Last KOF game I played had my team of Ralf, Benimaru, and King....

Mad that Benimaru doesn't have his hurricane kicks and Ralf doesn't have his drop kick anymore!!! :(

Just played this over lunch. First impressions: love the art (I skipped KOFXII after playing it at a friend's house), wish I could play it better. I played through the story mode, and stopped at the boss. I hate SNK bosses, and I was pushed for time. The requests to do certain inputs were pretty interesting, I just wish that I had some better reference for how to play the game during gameplay. I still don't know what Desperation moves are, and whilst [/b]I'm sure there's a tutorial for them it's not much help.[/b]

The in-game tutorial is very helpful, check it.

Top Bottom