• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

This game is giving me a Virtua Fighter 5:Final Showdown, feel. What I mean by that is, everyone is dope. In the previous KOF games, I jumped around a few, but in this one, I want to play with everyone, lol.

This game is giving me a Virtua Fighter 5:Final Showdown, feel. What I mean by that is, everyone is dope. In the previous KOF games, I jumped around a few, but in this one, I want to play with everyone, lol.

It's giving me the VF5 feel in that, despite having ho-hum presentation, audio, and sound effects, the core game is very fun and exciting to play.

I unfortunately still have the problem I had with XII. Is there there's an overwhelming amount of characters I really dislike, either based on playstyle or character design.

Characters I love and play as:

Terry
Andy
Joe
Kyo
Ryu
Robert
Kim
Mai
K'
Billy Kane

Characters I'm neutral to, but have no real desire to learn:

Vice
Mature
Iori
Goro
Maxima
Hwa Jai
Takuma
Clark
Ralf
Leona
King

Characters I loath and will never play as:

Ash
Duo Lon
Kula
Athena
Yuri
Sie
Choi
Saiki
Elisabeth (sorry Fersis)
Benimaru

This is my fault of course, I just dislike those characters. I'm a Fatal Fury/Garou OG, so you can see that's my preferences lie.

If you could replace any of those characters in the dislike pile, and replace them with missing FF/Garou cast members, I'd be in heaven.

alstein

So Akira doesn't overwhelm Final Shodown? I've heard some worries about that- I did see on VFDC briefly that there's an arcade balance patch coming out- did that fix it?

Sorry Fersis, but when VF comes out on PSN, all my other fighters are getting put aside for a long time.

BadWolf

Same here, there isn't a single character in the game that I don't like or plan on not using.

So Akira doesn't overwhelm Final Shodown? I've heard some worries about that- I did see on VFDC briefly that there's an arcade balance patch coming out- did that fix it?

Sorry Fersis, but when VF comes out on PSN, all my other fighters are getting put aside for a long time.
It was the bodycheck that had people scare for a minute. But now, is all good. Just go to the video section on VFDC, and see those matches, shit is scary with everyone on that mix-up level. The scariest has to be Jacky, Sarah and Shun(Fuck his 2k) There 50/50 is solid.

Dandy J

It was the bodycheck that had people scare for a minute. But now, is all good. Just go to the video section on VFDC, and see those matches, shit is scary with everyone on that mix-up level. The scariest has to be Jacky, Sarah and Shun(Fuck his 2k) There 50/50 is solid.
It wasn't the body check, it's the effectiveness of his guard breaks and sidestep mixup. He is still S tier in version A. There will most likely be a version B.

LowParry

I forgot how awesome Kim was. Yep. Still awesome. Gotta re-learn him though. And my Leona continues to evolve though Mature I'm starting to see my flaws in. Damn rekka moves on a stick. Meh. Just gotta keep playing. Elizabeth is fun however.

Saiki: cr.Bx2>qcf+AC, run, far C>qcf+A seems like a pretty good setup. I have to test more stuff to see what can punish that but I'm pretty sure it would generally require to burn meter to do so.

EDIT: Kyo's NeoMax and Kula's EXDM can be blocked, but Kyo's instant EXDM punishes the fireball. Interesting.

GrayFoxPL

Characters I loath and will never play as:

Ash
Duo Lon
Kula
Athena
Yuri
Sie
Choi
Saiki
Elisabeth (sorry Fersis)
Benimaru

This is my fault of course, I just dislike those characters. I'm a Fatal Fury/Garou OG, so you can see that's my preferences lie.

If you could replace any of those characters in the dislike pile, and replace them with missing FF/Garou cast members, I'd be in heaven.

This Sie Kensou or overall? He's been drastically changed. I don't like what they did to him.

He's so serious and bland now. Where's my meat bum eating, zipper opened fun Kensou?

Thinking about it XIII is too serious. Where is this guy?
Ixq0t.gif

Really
wbPE7.gif
Kj7Sc.gif
riQiy.gif
and
MIt6x.gif

are the only really big omissions in kof XIII for me.

I mean Vice is in but not Blue Mary? Come on.

dock

First two online matches of King of Fighters XIII. The worst lag I've ever seen on an online game. 5+ second input delay. Both players had almost perfect connections (9/10 each). Appalling. :(

I'm in the UK, not sure whether this changes anything.

Elizabeth's trials, how the hell do you drive cancel DP into qcf AC? The EXDM is gonna come out every time!

I wrote about this already. Instead of doing the DP motion, you do this instead. "F,B,DB,D,DF,F+P-P" If you do it the way they want you, you're going to get a super cancel instead. Super Turbo FTW, yo.

First two online matches of King of Fighters XIII. The worst lag I've ever seen on an online game. 5+ second input delay. Both players had almost perfect connections (9/10 each). Appalling. :(

Where did you get that kind of figure?

EDIT: oh that's what you call Super Turbo buffering. Yeah that motion is an alternate one for dps in this game lol.

MrMephistoX

This Sie Kensou or overall? He's been drastically changed. I don't like what they did to him.

He's so serious and bland now. Where's my meat bum eating, zipper opened fun Kensou?

Ixq0t.gif

Really
wbPE7.gif
Kj7Sc.gif
riQiy.gif
and
MIt6x.gif

Whip DLC!

Amagon

Ixq0t.gif

Really
wbPE7.gif
Kj7Sc.gif
riQiy.gif
and
MIt6x.gif

I feel you on the Kensou change. I miss the old form Kensou alot but the new version, I can deal with though. And Blue Mary, my waifu!!!!

Anyhoot, I didn't preorder KoF13 and been playing my brother's copy alot. Is there a chance I will be able to secure a copy of the game with the OST if I didn't preorder????

I feel you on the Kensou change. I miss the old form Kensou alot but the new version, I can deal with though. And Blue Mary, my waifu!!!!

Anyhoot, I didn't preorder KoF13 and been playing my brother's copy alot. Is there a chance I will be able to secure a copy of the game with the OST if I didn't preorder????

There is a chance, a local chain in my area just had a bunch of copies with the OST.

But all major places, Best Buy, EB Games, only got a few copies with it, and are sold out now.

LowParry

So what are the chances of SNK giving us more DLC characters? I'm actually kinda curious if they'll go the Capcom route of making a sort of KOFXIII Special to add in more characters that way and such.

GrayFoxPL

Ask Atlus or the powers at be for a patch?

It's how snkp coded it. It's the only fighting game on the system that ignores all devices without home button, that includes snk's neogeo sticks, lol.

Even XII didn't have that problem.
Btw.

Absolutely nowhere in Sony's regulations do they require a game to be able to support controllers for a console the game isn't made for. Should we patch KOFXIII so it can support SNES controllers too? The PS3 has been out for five years now. Man up and buy a joystick for the actual console you're playing games on.

That's how Atlus forum admin answers kof fans. Heh.

LegatoB

That's how Atlus forum admin answers kof fans. Heh.
That's got to be a community moderator, right? I can't imagine a paid employee actually being that much of an asshole to fans with a reasonable request. And if it is, well, I've lost a lot of respect for Atlus.

So is there anyway to unlock the Esaka 96, Mr.Karate Temple, and Iori95's stage for use in any game mode? I've come across karate and iori stages randomly online but I'd like to use them for like my training mode stage or something akin to that. I remember seeing pre-release streams of the game with access to Esaka and such for what looked like versus mode but haven't seen them anywhere else.

I just tried a game against a friend, both of us in the UK with strong internet connections. It was still laggy, but it was playable.

There's a row of green dots, and 8 or 9 of them are lit up on each side.

Oh is this the PS3 version you're talking about? I was under the assumption that both versions used the same kind of icons (ie. 1 to 4 bars).

DiscoShark said:
So is there anyway to unlock the Esaka 96, Mr.Karate Temple, and Iori95's stage for use in any game mode? I've come across karate and iori stages randomly online but I'd like to use them for like my training mode stage or something akin to that. I remember seeing pre-release streams of the game with access to Esaka and such for what looked like versus mode but haven't seen them anywhere else.

They're the stages that come with the DLC characters (EX Kyo, Mr. Karate and EX Iori).

Dachande

Played online with dock for about 20 minutes or so - yikes at the netcode. I hosted about 5 games, and the first was okay for me, with some lag, but playable. But as we fought more matches, it got worse and worse until it was nearly unplayable by the fifth match. Dock hosted a bit after that where the lag was just as bad as we left it, and then is desynchronised and disconnected us as we were waiting for a round to start.

I really do think KOFXIII is a great fighting game, but this netcode is appalling. SF3 was comparably right on the ball most of the time, but XIII's started dodgy and got worse. It's a massive shame.

Played online with dock for about 20 minutes or so - yikes at the netcode. I hosted about 5 games, and the first was okay for me, with some lag, but playable. But as we fought more matches, it got worse and worse until it was nearly unplayable by the fifth match. Dock hosted a bit after that where the lag was just as bad as we left it, and then is desynchronised and disconnected us as we were waiting for a round to start.

I really do think KOFXIII is a great fighting game, but this netcode is appalling. SF3 was comparably right on the ball most of the time, but XIII's started dodgy and got worse. It's a massive shame.

Do you both have the game installed?

Kusano123

Neo Member
Is there a shortcut for cancelling Kyo's DP into Orochinagi? Doing a dp motion then swinging the stick QCB, HCF+P seems impossible for me. Q_Q

zlatko

Banned
If I had the game right now I would be running Duo Lon, Iori, and Andy.

I was curious how good Billy Kane turned out? I would probably drop Iori for him, or Nests Kyo in the future.

dock

I was really hoping to see netcode comparable to SF3, or maybe Street Fighter 4. This is a shambles. :/

I'm playing the game on PS3.

Do you both have the game installed?

I have the game installed, yep, but I can't imagine why this would have any influence on netcode.

Top Bottom