• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Dambrosi

Banned
img0147nj.jpg

Wow, that looks so much better than the Euro release (the OST package, I mean). I should've just imported. Ah well, not like I'm gonna actually open the thing, anyway.

The game? Glorious, as expected, though I can see what some posters mean when they say that the presentation looks a little low-budget (as in, bare-bones tutorial, unvoiced cutscenes with lipsync (!?), and some other niggly details), but it didn't bother me at all. I don't do online much, so I haven't tried it out yet. I'll dabble in it some more later on (still have to unlock Saiki and Billy), maybe try online - btw, PSN: DashKrimson.

Dambrosi

Banned
I can't use a stick with this game, but pad input is easy and smooth as butter. I was surprised to find that I could easily do even normal combo -> HD -> Super cancel -> Max Cancels after a few minutes' practice.

Way better than SSF4, at the very least. I find that I have to use a stick with that one, since the input/game speed is so slow. Same with BlazBlue.

I'm sure the game speed has a lot to do with it.

panda21

this game is great, really good that they have filled it out with extra modes so that newbies and ppl who dont care that much about online like me (and really who apart from hardcore fans are going to be playing this online in like two weeks time...) can mess around with it and learn stuff.

Takuma is a lot of fun :D

oh and what have they done to Yuri D:

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Called and visited every importer i know, KOFXIII is sold out.
Cdmarket (Probably the best known importer) sold every copy in less than a week.
Sucks for me but cool for SNKP and Atlus

Argentina + KOF == <3 <3 <3 <3

I'm considering switching from stick to pad just for this game to get moves out quicker.
I‘m not really considering it, but I‘ve thought that it could help. In my case I‘m sure that it has everything to do with being used to playing with sticks that feel very different from my TE stick though :/

Zafir

Wow, that looks so much better than the Euro release (the OST package, I mean). I should've just imported. Ah well, not like I'm gonna actually open the thing, anyway.
Agreed. If you look closely at the EU one you can see the image is blurred too, because they tried to use an image which was too low resolution. :<

On the plus side we got a reversible cover, an art disk and a poster though.

RedSwirl

This game is harder than I remember XII being, though it's only my second KOF game. Can't seem to pull off Kyo's super for the life of me.

Frankfurt

Banned
Can anyone comment on the sprite blur/softness on their 1080p TV?

I've heard someone say it's only noticeable when the camera zooms in?

Thanks.

Can anyone comment on the sprite blur/softness on their 1080p TV?

I've heard someone say it's only noticeable when the camera zooms in?

Thanks.

It's pretty noticeable during winposes and Neomaxes, so yeah zoom-ins. It's rather inoffensive during the fight.

I still wish there was an option for unfiltered sprites, even if they'd look bad blown up.

Tizoc

Yes. Think I did it with Terry/Yuri/Kula. You don't have to face off against the bosses, just beat Ash and you'll get the cheevo. Not that the bosses would be hard with the 1/3 life option.

Woops forgot about the 1/3 life option haha.

BTW how do I fight Ash or Saiki as my 4th opponent?

notworksafe

Woops forgot about the 1/3 life option haha.

BTW how do I fight Ash or Saiki as my 4th opponent?

You fight Saiki by doing 50 of the arcade mode challenge things (Jump 3 times, do a Desperation Move, get a 3hit combo, etc) before the end of the 3rd match. Can be on default difficulty if you want.

Tizoc

You fight Saiki by doing 50 of the arcade mode challenge things (Jump 3 times, do a Desperation Move, get a 3hit combo, etc) before the end of the 3rd match. Can be on default difficulty if you want.

Thanks will try to get him in my next playthrough =)

Just beat Ash and Saki, on some Karate kid shit, lol. "SWEEP THE LEG, JOHNNY!" That's all I did. Glad to know that BS tactic still works on beating SNK Bosses :)

Olaeh

The inputs do seem a little unforgiving, but hopefully I get it with practice. What's the timing for drive cancels? Say, after Kyo's dp, when is the correct time to input a hcf+B or some other move? I can sometimes pull it off with some of Hwa's moves but even then not consistently :/

The inputs do seem a little unforgiving, but hopefully I get it with practice. What's the timing for drive cancels? Say, after Kyo's dp, when is the correct time to input a hcf+B or some other move? I can sometimes pull it off with some of Hwa's moves but even then not consistently :/

Generally right as the move connects, there are exceptions though like Terry's Burn Knuckle where you have to wait a little for him to land. For Kyo you'll usually want to cancel that dp early into qcf+D or rdp+B in combos.

Watching the technical reference videos SNK made before the arcade release should be good enough to get an idea of when to cancel. Sure, the properties of plenty of attacks changed, but I doubt that changes when to cancel them.

Olaeh

Generally right as the move connects, there are exceptions though like Terry's Burn Knuckle where you have to wait a little for him to land. For Kyo you'll usually want to cancel that dp early into qcf+D or rdp+B in combos.

Watching the technical reference videos SNK made before the arcade release should be good enough to get an idea of when to cancel. Sure, the properties of plenty of attacks changed, but I doubt that changes when to cancel them.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to practice that timing and I'll check out those vids too.

What about Billy Kane? just do less action?

I noticed the PS3 manual doesn't have the movelist section while the 360 manual does. :/

dkeane

Wanted to smash my controller while trying to beat the last boss. So frustrating. I refuse to use the helper. Is there any real strategy?

Loving the game. Plan on playing some online games tonight with someone in mountain time. (I'm on the East coast). I'll report my findings.

Top Bottom