• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Wanted to smash my controller while trying to beat the last boss. So frustrating. I refuse to use the helper. Is there any real strategy?

Make him block a jump attack, then counter his inevitable counter attack with a cl.C into combo. Worked for me on story mode.

notworksafe

So my SFIV TE Madcatz stick should work fine for PS3 correct? The problem is controllers without a home button?

TE and SE works fine. Used mine last night. My custom stick worked too so any arcade stick with a MC Cthulu will work. Also if you are using a PS2 controller, a converter with a home button will let that controller work.

I ended up buying the game even though I knew I would regret it. Online is so bad even with 3 bars the game still lags never saw any 4 bars and the iori dlc code that came with the game doesn't work. But the game is still better than kof12 If only the online worked.

I ended up buying the game even though I knew I would regret it. Online is so bad even with 3 bars the game still lags never saw any 4 bars and the iori dlc code that came with the game doesn't work. But the game is still better than kof12 If only the online worked.

I don't think the Iori code becomes active until early December.

Busaiku

So yeah, I'm thinking of getting this.
But the only reason is cause it's really, really pretty.

My execution is terrible though, should I really bother?
I mean I played previous games, but this was when I mainly mashed in fighters (but I still loved them).

A few people were already pretty good with him in my area, so we were like wtf when we got to see the changelog.

WTF in a good or a bad way? I always wanted to use Hwa on my team from time to time, but with how bad I kept getting blown up I just didn't bother to use anyone other than my mains after a while (although he did get me rounds because of his surprise factor).

WTF in a good or a bad way? I always wanted to use Hwa on my team from time to time, but with how bad I kept getting blown up I just didn't bother to use anyone other than my mains after a while (although he did get me rounds because of his surprise factor).

In a good way. I mean on paper stuff seemed broken/not the kind of buff we expected (dat 1 frame grab) but so did pretty much everything else so we were glad to see him turned up to eleven like most of the cast.

Grokbu

I'm not sure if this could be it. But are you trying to unlock hime on an account from the region the game is from?

EDIT:
Busaiku said:
So yeah, I'm thinking of getting this.
But the only reason is cause it's really, really pretty.

My execution is terrible though, should I really bother?
I mean I played previous games, but this was when I mainly mashed in fighters (but I still loved them).
Well, sure. If you enjoyed other fighters, I don't see a reason why you won't enjoy this. :)
What about the other games did you like, and which were they? Like if you really enjoyed BB for its long story mode, this might not be that interesting.

EDIT 2: Hrm, that story example might be a bad one, as I haven't played this game and I have no idea how good it's story mode is. :<

Spacebar

Giant Bomb quick look video along with GAF hype made me buy this today. So far I like it and online plays okay. No real lag when I got a match, but I've had to try a couple of times to find someone.

Joe is my main right now. Dude reminds me of playing Sagat. So beast with dat tiger knee. Not sure if I like picking 3 fighters to battle 3 other fighters. Are all ranked matches like this? I wish I could just do 1 vs 1 for 2 rounds as a ranked online match.

I never played KOF12 because everyone said the online was shit so this is my first KOF game. I'll post some more impressions as get more play time. So far it's an A in my book.

Busaiku

EDIT:
Well, sure. If you enjoyed other fighters, I don't see a reason why you won't enjoy this. :)
What about the other games did you like, and which were they? Like if you really enjoyed BB for its long story mode, this might not be that interesting.

EDIT 2: Hrm, that story example might be a bad one, as I haven't played this game and I have no idea how good it's story mode is. :<
No, I have no doubt that I'll enjoy it.
I always enjoy fighters.

The thing I'm wondering is if I can really expect to get proficient in it.
Like if the tutorials or whatever would help me really understand the game or help my execution or something.

Man this game has some insanely strict timing and inputs. I can't pull off Terry's trial 3 for the life of me. How the hell am I supposed to input df,hp into power geyser so fast? Or cancel rising tackle into power geyser? Surely I'm missing something. Please fill me in KOFgaf.

*edit* checking some of the links in the OP, that should help me out alot.

This KoF actually has an awesome story mode IMO. Not a ton of fighting during it, but the amount of story scenes and the branching points are really great.

The Arcade mode has a lot of great character interaction too. Every character has unique dialogue with everyone else, something I was not expecting and was very pleasantly surprised to see.

Speaking of colors, anyone made any cool color edits?

yep i did ones for my main female team .
Betty , Yuri and Athena .

Just unlock all of them today so i do more chars later on .

Got in some good online games yesterday where there was not to much lag .
Still not get chance to play with any gaf members yet .

Side note the bars system in this games funny i fought people who had better connection at 2 bars compare to some people who had 3 .

haunts

Bacon of Hope
no one said honest fighting was easy fighting!

missed the lvl up stream.. good matches? probably have to watch it later. T_T

Speaking of colors, anyone made any cool color edits?

Still need to unlock more colors :/ I love unlocking stuff, but unlocking selectable colors for color edit seems just a tad tedious and daunting. I think they should've had the full color edit unlocked when you beat the game with that character or something like that. Not more colors with each usage. And I'm kinda disappointed the colors are all preset and not customizable via RGB values like older games with the option. I mean I thought I saw Piccolo-inspired Andy in a screenshot, what if I want to do crazy colored skin tones?

I'm not sure if this could be it. But are you trying to unlock hime on an account from the region the game is from?

My game asian version the account i am using is singapore(asia) and it even says printed in singapore on the paper the dlc code is on. So i don't think the region of the game is the problem. i will try to redeem the code again in dec when the dlc is out.

Man this game has some insanely strict timing and inputs. I can't pull off Terry's trial 3 for the life of me. How the hell am I supposed to input df,hp into power geyser so fast? Or cancel rising tackle into power geyser? Surely I'm missing something. Please fill me in KOFgaf.

*edit* checking some of the links in the OP, that should help me out alot.

keep in mind the game lets you "cheat" in that you can put whatever moves possible between the attacks and still get completion for the trial.

I remember one of the trials for Terry being like D, df+C, super

but since the cancel was hard for me, I did D, df+C, A burn knuckle, super and I got completion

Tizoc

UGH, fuck these trials, not many of them seem to be very useful.
Why can't developers look at how SFEX's trials were like on the PSX? you can watch them on YT for frag's sake. Now those were trials that helped learn basic and advanced combos along with certain properties for attacks.

At any rate, this game's a blast, but I still suck at Normal-->HD activate-->Combo >_<
Also am I the only pad user who the game registers his HP/HK+Fwd as a throw? Fucking annoying.

Skilletor

How exactly do you unlock colors? Also, do you only unlock 1 additional set or are there more to unlock?

I read on gamefaqs that you get 1 row of colors from choosing a single character 10 times in vs. mode. You can use the rematch option vs. the CPU for this, apparently.

Haven't been able to test myself, though.

Anyone notice the Cybiko Cow kind of looks like the KOF logo? YOU MUST ALL BUY KOF!

wtfreudian.jpg

I read on gamefaqs that you get 1 row of colors from choosing a single character 10 times in vs. mode. You can use the rematch option vs. the CPU for this, apparently.

Haven't been able to test myself, though.

Yes, this is true.

I heard that there were Atlus reps at the Level Up Stream last night, I hope someone said something about the netcode.

Grokbu

The thing I'm wondering is if I can really expect to get proficient in it.
Like if the tutorials or whatever would help me really understand the game or help my execution or something.
Sure. You can get good at any game you like, as long as you put your mind to it. But I have no idea how in-depth the tutorial is, though.

Tizoc said:
Also am I the only pad user who the game registers his HP/HK+Fwd as a throw? Fucking annoying.
Hrm, I'm not quite sure what you mean. fwd+C/D is a input for throws.

Top Bottom