• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

BadWolf

Arcade matches not bad to look at but you got to remember about the nerfs .
For eg Betty used build bar really fast for Shen that not really the case anymore plus her bnb super combo got nerf hard .

Yeah she got nerfed but she still needs meter to be dangerous, Duo Lon can run his mixups and pressure with or without meter. Shen is good eitherway but a monster with meter.

Yeah, after a bit more research Duo is definitely the battery of the three. Thanks for the suggestion!

np

Damn, I don't feel like I have enough time to learn this game :(
I wouldn't mind making it my main focus, but nobody I know plays it.

Don't have any offline competition but am doing just find learning and loving the game via netplay. Find it very playable and much better than no versus at all, which would be terrible considering how much of a masterpiece I consider this game to be.

Yeah. I'll still play UMvC3 because it's completely different experience. I love that game, super fun.

I won't be playing SF4 ever again, though. Every complaint I have ever had about the game is remedied with KoF13, save netcode. But there are enough people in my local scene to play with.

Guess we are lucky ones that have a local scene to play with.
I also won't be playing SF4 again that for certain UVC3 and KOFXIII until SFxT and i not certain on that any more.

Yeah she got nerfed but she still needs meter to be dangerous, Duo Lon can run his mixups and pressure with or without meter. Shen is good eitherway but a monster with meter.

Yep , still Betty is awesome sometime i play here first and still kick ass meter or no meter .
She has allot options to play around with .

Frigging Mexican KoF scene (keep the pitchforks, I'm mexican), it feels like I'm from another planet because everyone in my local spot (and I bet all of Mexico) always use this crazy ass button configuration they've using for EONS since KOF 94 in the arcades:

A B C
D

And they're always treating me like a 2nd rate citizen because I use the default Xbox config (I was more into Capcom fighters at the time) even when I keep telling them the arcade version of KOF XIII has 2 different button configurations and none of them is like that weird shit they all use. Blame the arcade machine owners for not using standard Neo-Geo cabinets and instead re-purposing generic 6-button cabs.

Screw it, I'll print images from the true button configurations and shove them into their faces until they throw away their 15-year old established conventions and...

yeah that will teach 'em.

lol, I'm so used to that configuration that I can't stand the top left button on any game not being lp or its equivalent. Apparently, so does everyone at the arcade here. Rather than use
BCD
A

we all go for
AC
BD

XD

Yeah, it's one thing when they're all nicely curved and lined up like in an actual Neogeo cab or like Soul Calibur's, but in a "box" format? No thanks.

God how to people play with config i bold crazy stuff.

Thats actually the config I use. its actually very comfortable for me as it allows me to press BC/CD very comfortably without controting my hand or resorting to hotkeys. The only downside is doing EX moves as since the timing is strict, i may not hit both exactly at the same time causing a whiff.

Dambrosi

Banned
Leona is so goooood

too bad the netcode is what will end this game, and possibly the franchise.

Oh, come the fuck on. Bad netcode didn't end 3rd Strike Online or Soul Calibur IV, did it?

Quality will out, and KOFXIII is pure quality. Though, a slot on the EVO 2012 tourney roster wouldn't hurt.

Regarding the button layout: I actually used the diamond formation (AB/CD) when I used my shitty wireless Hori stick last, got carpal tunnel. I might try out the Mexican formation soon, see if it fits better.

If you played in arcade, that's how you played.

I can play on it, but I definitely prefer the more traditional layout.

Play in arcade for years
But we had
ABCD

AB
CD

ABC
D
Never had that config to play on but then again we had allot of put together cabs and we used tell guy how to set up the buttons to our liking .

Since i play on pad now i use
AC
BD
R1 2x punches
R2 2x kicks
L1 BC
L2 taunt

Tizoc

Play in arcade for years
But we had
ABCD

AB
CD

ABC
D
Never had that config to play on but then again we had allot of put together cabs and we used tell guy how to set up the buttons to our liking .

Since i play on pad now i use
AC
BD
R1 2x punches
R2 2x kicks
L1 BC
L2 taunt
Yeah that's my pad setup too.
Speaking of taunts, what's with the bishi sparkles in Maxima's? *shivers*

BadWolf

I use:

X: LP
Circle: LK
Square: HP
Triangle: HK
R1: HD

EX moves, rolls and CD are all easy without shortcut buttons using this layout.

HD activation is tough/uncomfortable which means you won't be doing it accidentally using the face buttons.

Solune

Haven't had enough time to play all that much but what can you do with the new blowback attack?
I've read the balance change in the OP
New blowback attack (Standing CD). Moves forward and has invincibility to low attacks.

In KoFXII you can use it to hitconfirm into other stuff but it doesn't seem like you can followup in this game.

Wonko_C

Wait, taunts!? You can do taunts in KOF XIII? I pushed back/select and all other buttons but none did the taunt. How do you do it? o_O

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Haven't had enough time to play all that much but what can you do with the new blowback attack?
New blowback attack (Standing CD). Moves forward and has invincibility to low attacks.

In KoFXII you can use it to hitconfirm into other stuff but it doesn't seem like you can followup in this game.

It cuts the opponent pressure game at the cost of 1 Power bar.

BadWolf

CD attacks connecting normally cause a knockdown.

CD attacks connecting as a counter hit allow you to juggle with whatever you want.

If you have a move with the 'anywhere juggle' property then you can catch them with that regardless of if the CD connected as a counter or not.

Hitting CD while blocking an attacking will cause your character to break his guard and attack the opponent causing him to fly accross the screen, this costs one power bar.

alstein

After playing someone only a few hundred miles away which would be very nice in any other game, but 2 bars in this, all I can say is this.

A mediocre fighter I can play > A great fighter that I can't.

After playing someone only a few hundred miles away which would be very nice in any other game, but 2 bars in this, all I can say is this.

A mediocre fighter I can play > A great fighter that I can't.

Start coercing people in your area into playing KOF XIII, use guns if you have to.

Tizoc

So I was on training mode for the past hour and a few things-
Iori's Lvl. 1 super-->NEOMAX does hella damage
seriously if you can go into HD mode and just do that the damage can kill an opponent with 3/4 health.

Also with King is this basic corner HD combo:
Jump D-->St. D (2 hits)-->Dwn-Fwd+D-HD mode->St. D (2 hits)-->Dwn-Fwd+D-->[LK T. Kick-->LK Trap Shot] xn
If you end with an LK T. Kick, you can quickly input her punch super and it should combo.
Haven't tried using HK Trap Shot though =P

Oh and dear SNK: Why the fuck you gotta give Vice a stupid input for her air grab super thingy: JUST MAKE IT A FUCKING 360!

Solune

Blowbacks have always been pretty much just a GTFO move.

It cuts the opponent pressure game at the cost of 1 Power bar.

CD attacks connecting normally cause a knockdown.

CD attacks connecting as a counter hit allow you to juggle with whatever you want.

If you have a move with the 'anywhere juggle' property then you can catch them with that regardless of if the CD connected as a counter or not.

Hitting CD while blocking an attacking will cause your character to break his guard and attack the opponent causing him to fly accross the screen, this costs one power bar.

Thanks!

I really missed , Kim's sliding kick from the previous KOF games :(

Ralf's command throw, Ralf kick/buffalo, Benimaru's spin, Kyo's overhead kick and rekkas, Maxima's rekkas, TERRY'S POWER DUNK AGAIN!

Love the hell out of this game, but I'm already dying for another to add some moves back in.

Ralf's command throw, Ralf kick/buffalo, Benimaru's spin, Kyo's overhead kick and rekkas, Maxima's rekkas, TERRY'S POWER DUNK AGAIN!

Love the hell out of this game, but I'm already dying for another to add some moves back in.

Ralf turn a whole new char so i think it okay .
They have been 2 version of Kyo since 98 if i remember .
His other version coming so that takes care of that .

Some chars missing moves but it hurt some chars more than others to me like Mai and Clark .

Shadow780

Yeah I miss Beni's spin too. Also Mai's slide kick and DP kick.

Busaiku

Ok, what the heck, it's not recognizing my inputs.
I do the standard slide with my thumb for the fireball/uppercut/super motions, and it doesn't recognize it, yet when I hit them individually (ignoring the diagonal), it does?

The analog stick works fine, but I keep hitting the Home button...

Has anyone else been having problems with the color edit, like previously unlocked colors suddenly being locked again?

Ok...I just got challenged by Ash right before stage 6 and I have no idea what I did.
I assume that might be the bad ending, though I wouldn't know considering I skipped everything afterwards, didn't fight the two bosses though.

Busaiku

Oh man, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Who are the easiest characters to play to learn?
So far Terry's good for me. I wanted to try Kensou and Saiki, but they seem like they're too hard for me...

As a point of reference, the only character I can really play in AE is Cody.

And how in the world do I unlock Billy?
Saiki was easy enough, but now I'm so confused.

So far Terry's good for me. I wanted to try Kensou and Saiki, but they seem like they're too hard for me...

Mature is a very easy character to play IMO. I'm not a super skilled at KoF, but I find all of her moves easy to execute, I can actual Drive Cancel with her, and her supers are pretty fool proof.

Plus she's quick and powerful.

I don't think anyone has discovered the exact method yet, but this is how I did it. Got an A ranking on my first three matches, preformed an average of 2 Target Actions per fight and defeated each member of the three teams differently. (One with a regular attack, one with a desperation move and one with a Neo Max.)

This is probably way more strict than the actual requirements, but I couldn't get Billy to appear until I fulfilled them all. (I think the A ranking and the low amount of Target Actions are the most important factors.)

Just go though Arcade mode without continues.

Try Andy and Ryo.

notworksafe

Billy is just unlocked through Target Actions, same as Saiki. I know Saiki is 50, not sure what the minimum for Billy is...but you need to get less than 50.

Top Bottom