• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Degen

Played this for a couple of hours last night at a friend's house...

I was so sure I'd be able to pick Maxima and Raiden and just armor/grapple (MvC3/SSF4) my way to a bunch of free wins. Wrong. Wrong.

Had to resort to keep-away with Ash... keep-away... the shame...

Just picked this up. Wow! You have to have some pretty tight execution to do some of these combos.

I got to level three in K' challenges and was like D-:

Skilletor

This game!

THIS FUCKING GAME!

My team is definitely Takuma/Kyo/Andy. Loving each one of them. Unlocking colors for each of them.

Got some simple cancel combos down with each of them. Really want to work on my movement. Hyper small jumps are really difficult for me, don't know why. Keep getting super jumps. Then the drive combos.

Just 100% the Story Mode. 'Twas awesome.
Though the bonus scene wasn't that exciting, but I'm not really a Shion fan.

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again; I love all the character interaction and plot development in this game. For someone who plays fighters mainly for the story and characters, this game is heaven.

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again; I love all the character interaction and plot development in this game. For someone who plays fighters mainly for the story and characters, this game is heaven.

Same here, I'm in the same boat as you. I've always loved SNK fighters for their little touches in story and characters, and they really pull all the stops here. This is, by far, their best effort ever. It really has the presentation vibe of some of their older games only with HD graphics, better gameplay, and a thorough English translation. This is like the KoF game I DREAMED of playing since playing Guilty Gear for the first time (it was X2 actually). I really REALLY hope this isn't end of KoF. But if it is, well, they sure went out in an awesome blaze of glory. At the very least they can add the "missing" characters from the Ash saga as DLC and make XIII the Unlimited Match like 98 and 2002.

Anyway, having fun with Color Edit. Still sucks that you can't make your own colors and that you have to unlock them all. But I DO like that they have various Skin Tones ready to go. That's great and useful, as I always had trouble making good skin tones with the old RGB Sliders.

Made an AWESOME Iron Fist Andy and Ferb/Ferbguy K' (little voice actor in-joke) and looking forward to trying out more when I get the colors unlocked for all characters.

Oh and went though Story mode with the Women Fighters team. Dark Ash is easy, but Saiki, man, what an asshole. But I found that, with Yuri I used a slow turtling strategy of tripping and Haoh-sho-koh-ken's (which he didn't block) while waiting for the time to run out works wonders.

Judging by the Trials, it looks like I won't be able to Andy...
So far just Terry...

I guess I'll try Mature later.

Man don't worry about the trials combos are not the end all of the game.
I have seen Andy at high level play and some times you do see any big or HD combos.
You can still beat people with zoning and plays that is what i do with a few chars .

alstein

I was so sure I'd be able to pick Maxima and Raiden and just armor/grapple (MvC3/SSF4) my way to a bunch of free wins. Wrong. Wrong.

You can pull off herp derp with Maxima, but Raiden's tougher.

Online Maxima is autoguard into close/crouch C/DM. No overlap so you can get it out easy. Then mixup on their wakeup. I just wish hcb+D was a little faster.

I'm wondering with the cconsole changes whether a naked BC activate makes sense now, due to a 2 bar Neomax.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dont know who did it but the SRK guide is amazing.
Props to the authors.

This should be THE week * Crosses fingers *

BadWolf

You picked worng, Maxima and Raiden are suedo grapplers. Grappling is just a part of their game.

If you wanted to make your friend cry you should've picked Clark. His HCF+B (has armor/autoguard) grab alone would have sufficed.

Wtf are there input shortcuts in this game???

Also don't know if this is known but found out you can throw while running by pressing c or d first then kara-ing to forward.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wtf are there input shortcuts in this game???

Also don't know if this is known but found out you can throw while running by pressing c or d first then kara-ing to forward.

Welcome to KOF.

Welcome to KOF.
Is that in reference to my throw trick or this games shortcuts?

@tera - I read those and couldn't find an answer. Specifically if I do a run c to elbow with Andy I always get his dragon punch instead if elbow. Do down-backs and down-forwards count as downs in the do motion? Also is there a shortcut for dqcfs? A lot of times when I try to do slide to dragon punch with hwa I get super instead.

vixlar

Dont know who did it but the SRK guide is amazing.
Props to the authors.

This should be THE week * Crosses fingers *

Seriously, man. It should be illegal to let you without that game. You are one of the greatest KOF fans I know. (And I onl know you from GAF)

Esperemos que esta semana se te haga, jejeje.

Is that in reference to my throw trick or this games shortcuts?

@tera - I read those and couldn't find an answer. Specifically if I do a run c to elbow with Andy I always get his dragon punch instead if elbow. Do down-backs and down-forwards count as downs in the do motion? Also is there a shortcut for dqcfs? A lot of times when I try to do slide to dragon punch with hwa I get super instead.

Yes, they do count as dragon punch motions, the command interpreter guide tells you that, btw,, try inputting back as you are running, then qcf to get the elbow, you shouldn't getting super with Hwa though, just tap the slide input.

Since we're talking about inputs, you can also do qcf f qcf to cover some distance by running before doing a qcfx2 move. Useful for Saiki as it's his only way to get decent damage mid sceeen. hcb f hcb also works for super grabs but it's a bit harder.

Tizoc

Andy's elbow attack is not a charge attack: You just press DB then Fwd.
HCF will work as the input for this move.

alstein

You picked worng, Maxima and Raiden are suedo grapplers. Grappling is just a part of their game.

If you wanted to make your friend cry you should've picked Clark. His HCF+B (has armor/autoguard) grab alone would have sufficed.

Maxima's B grab has T-Rex range, his D grab is really slow startup (Makoto laughs at it before karakusaing), his EX isn't even a Grab.

Can Raiden even grab after the 2nd hit of close C anymore? I keep failing even that. Never had a problem with it in KOF12 (I don't care what people say, 12 had superior controls)

Fersis

The importer is delivering the game today!!! :0

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tizoc

BadWolf

Maxima's B grab has T-Rex range, his D grab is really slow startup (Makoto laughs at it before karakusaing), his EX isn't even a Grab.

Those shortcomings are insignificant when you consider the damage he can do off of those grabs and the fact that he can combo into them.

tzare

just received the game, despite preordering at amazon.co.uk no soundtrack for me :(
Any other way to buy/dwl it?

I hope i can play a bit and also try the online tonight, as i have 3 month old twins and i almost have no time to play at this moment xD

Best thing I take out of training mode is that I know what the starters are. Oh I see that this character can do jumping fierce, short, short, command normal into super. Or I can do a special instead and dream cancel it into another special and then a super. Know that and build from there. And I the peeps on missing the easy stuff. I swear, I have missed more naked supers in this game than any other fighter I have played before but to be honest, there is something refreshing about that. I want to continue to play training mode which is more than I can say for MvC3 or AE.

The game just feels right.

This game!

THIS FUCKING GAME!

My team is definitely Takuma/Kyo/Andy. Loving each one of them. Unlocking colors for each of them.

Got some simple cancel combos down with each of them. Really want to work on my movement. Hyper small jumps are really difficult for me, don't know why. Keep getting super jumps. Then the drive combos.
MY TEAM! Give it back! Anyway, this little habit helped me back in the day in KOF. For me to get the timing for Hyper Hops. I did this motion really quickly. "DB, UF, DB" This forced me not to hold UF for that long. You need to get those down pack, because of Takuma's pressure game with his charged move LK, is very similar to M.Bison's "Knee Press" frame-trap in ST. Same could be said about Andy as well. With his block string(HP, F+LP)into his B,DB,D,DF,F K cancel. He is neutral on block, but his DP is invincible on wake-up. So, you're going to force opponents to calm-down, and make them use meter on blowbacks and shit. You could get really fancy with this dude on block pressure.

LowParry

Oiy. Star Wars taking away my KOF time. In any event, I started playing around with Iori. I hated him at first but after putting in a couple of hours, I'm warming up to the guy. Flameless....still....

Fersis

Just got my KOFXIII + 4CD's Soundtrack

But im stuck at the office for another 3 hours

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just got my KOFXIII + 4CD's Soundtrack

But im stuck at the office for another 3 hours

This is great to hear! We should ahad Atlus first class mail ya a copy on day 1, eesh...

I'm in luck .. i got mail that my copy got shipped ..

this means ONLY 1 week to wait ..

So ..See you all back in a week ...

You'll be right in time for Iori WTPOF's worldwide introduction, so everyone will be in hypemode again :)

----------

Random Tidbits:

• Watch out for Tom Sawyer on XBL, lol. Some of the most Solid Mature play I've run across, and the dude knows his traps and tactics very well. A very technical opponent to fight aganist.
  • I'm actually getting good at Leona's HD Moon / Grand Slasher stuff now. Feels Good! Even with her potential nerfs from Arcade, V-slasher becoming a proper near-full screen punish again is an acceptable tradeoff. She wins a lot of matches for me...
  • I think Ryo has like... 3 winposes in this game, haha. One Vs at least Robert (Angry fist!), his normal Arcade one, and then the one using his neomax startup. Zanretsuken combos in corner are also extremly fun, and I generally have no desire to play Ryo... But I really enjoy the "Heavy fundamentalist" feel he has in this game.
  • Console Clark and Maxima are so beastly! I find myself wanting to make a Grappler team more in this game than ever before... And Mai has gone from a character I was only slightly interested in, to one of my main batteries. She's just so solid on point! Great at drawing out a match for meter gain, and can get an easy 50% damage by forcing people to move around her projectiles when she has Neomax.
  • Since I made a Li Xiangfei color for Kim (Too easy!), I've had to pay more attention to him... and I love his style in this game SO much more than the old Rekka / "Hachi-kick!" glitch stuff of the past. Much like Leona, he can shut down open movements with Tiger-knee'd DMs, flying kick (f,f+a) destroys retreats, and actually lets him combo after the hit, which is wonderfully satisfying.
  • I've seen so few effective K', Kyo's, and Iori's online... And almost 100% no Raiden. The only Raiden I've seen has been ME playing him on occasion. I've seen more Goro! This is so different from the Japanese Arcade play that's been out and about over the past year...
  • Somehow, though, everyone knows how to do Kula's drive cancel combos. They might not do anything else with OTHER characters that well, but Kula, "Kuru-Kuru-tou!" "Kuru-Tou!" "ei~ei!", lol.
  • I've had a lot of fun with color edit mode, btw. Ragnarok Online Blacksmith Maxima, Sentinel Maxima (Now Retired), MegaMANxima, Everyone with Terry-inspired colors (Except Leona, who'se more Blue Mary!), The Joker Vice, Xiangfei Kim, and then just loads of original color combinations for the sake of having them... I've seen very few "goofy" color edits (I think the only one has been "Sans Pantsu" Yuri...), most people seem to actually try to make meaningful edits!

I haven't played any of the other fighters I own for a week... XIII really just has everything I currently want in one. Even a Capcom / Namco fan was telling me in a player match how much he'd rather be playing XIII :)

And I'm finally listening to my King of Soundtracks collection now; It's so nice hearing the music sans sound effects. While it works great with them, there's a new level of appreciation to them seperately. I've been switching to and fro with the Arranged / Default music while playing the game itself, yet KDD-0075 still sounds so great to hear by itself... Ooo, and now Geese's theme. Rep yer boss, Billy!

Tizoc

So for Goro-
J. HP-->St. HP-HD activate->St./Cr. HP-->Lvl. 1 super-->NEOMAX
Does more damage than if you used Lvl. 2 super.

Also it seems that various characters can do
J. HP-->St. HP(-->Command attack)-HD activate->St./Cr. HP(-->Command attack)--->Lvl. 1 or 2 super-->NEOMAX
and get an easy 800 damage combo.

Finally, what's up with Maxima's St. HP being cancelable on either hit whereas Raiden and Clark's don't? @_@

Top Bottom