• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
[*]I've seen so few effective K', Kyo's, and Iori's online... And almost 100% no Raiden. The only Raiden I've seen has been ME playing him on occasion. I've seen more Goro! This is so different from the Japanese Arcade play that's been out and about over the past year...

Hey, I use Raiden and I'm certain I used him when I played you! LOL.

But yeah, no one ever seems to use him or know what to do against him. I have gotten way more OCVs using him than I should be able to online.

[*]I've had a lot of fun with color edit mode, btw. Ragnarok Online Blacksmith Maxima, Sentinel Maxima (Now Retired), MegaMANxima, Everyone with Terry-inspired colors (Except Leona, who'se more Blue Mary!), The Joker Vice, Xiangfei Kim, and then just loads of original color combinations for the sake of having them... I've seen very few "goofy" color edits (I think the only one has been "Sans Pantsu" Yuri...), most people seem to actually try to make meaningful edits!

Sans-pants Yuri surprised the hell out of me...was going for white bottoms and noticed that it looked like she was nude, lol. I've been going for colors inspired from characters from other games, so Yuri is now Cammy, Mai is Kasumi from DOA, and Raiden (Big Bear) has become the Hulk and King from Tekken.

I haven't played any of the other fighters I own for a week... XIII really just has everything I currently want in one. Even a Capcom / Namco fan was telling me in a player match how much he'd rather be playing XIII :)

TBH if the online was better I'd completely drop the other games, but there's clearly less people playing XIII online and while I find it totally playable, it needs a lot of improvement.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So for Goro-
J. HP-->St. HP-HD activate->St./Cr. HP-->Lvl. 1 super-->NEOMAX
Does more damage than if you used Lvl. 2 super.
So the less hits causes less maximum damage scaling, eh? That's nice and efficient.

Also it seems that various characters can do
J. HP-->St. HP(-->Command attack)-HD activate->St./Cr. HP(-->Command attack)--->Lvl. 1 or 2 super-->NEOMAX
and get an easy 800 damage combo.

So, K.I.S.S! Keep It Simple... Shermie? *ahem*. But yeah, keeping those amount of hits down also keeps you from giving the opponent too much meter. It's nice that a person can get all desperate and spit out a huge HD combo on round 2, to get rid of your 2nd character swiftly... but this gives your character SO much meter, that it minimizes the annoyance.

I think it's a great balance. Gives you a bit of during-combo control, and also the ability to control what your opponent is left with afterwards.

Finally, what's up with Maxima's St. HP being cancelable on either hit whereas Raiden and Clark's don't? @_@

Variety. They also have better overall grapple ranges than Maxima, and are more focused as grapplers, whereas Maxima's something of a hybrid. They both get extremly-damaging grapple DMs, while Maxima gets a "striking" DM. Besides, Raiden got that new "headrocker" Strong Mist, Close C, weak Mist HEAD-O-CRUSSSHA! combo, so he kinda doesn't need it. And Clark has a hop that lets him cancel out of normals into pressure, mixups, a delayed Guardpoint Grapple, etc...

I rather enjoy how much variety they've been able to distribute among so many similiar things. Makes it hard to settle on "mains", as they all have things I enjoy using so much.

----------

Hey, I use Raiden and I'm certain I used him when I played you! LOL.

But yeah, no one ever seems to use him or know what to do against him. I have gotten way more OCVs using him than I should be able to online.

XD Present company excluded then! lol. Yeah, we had some good sets there. -- Easy OCVs always throw me off when it comes to other people who REALLY know the game... suddenly, things aren't as abuseable as they once were, lol. But it's great to face those who are prepared to eat at the weaknesses of ones strategies.

Oh, and watching Athena use NORMAL reflector to insta-repel Takuma's Haoshikoken EXDM is... highly demoralizing! :( Great for her though. (o_O)

Sans-pants Yuri surprised the hell out of me...was going for white bottoms and noticed that it looked like she was nude, lol. I've been going for colors inspired from characters from other games, so Yuri is now Cammy, Mai is Kasumi from DOA, and Raiden (Big Bear) has become the Hulk and King from Tekken.

Yeah, I went back and gave my noraml-bathing-suit 1 piece Yuri colors shorts now... she looks so scandalous otherwise! lol. I just wanted to make Gi-style Sakura! XD

TBH if the online was better I'd completely drop the other games, but there's clearly less people playing XIII online and while I find it totally playable, it needs a lot of improvement.

I'd love to see SNKP make this game their pet-project as they work on developing something Non-KOF. Improve the netcode here, add a team there, add a new stage after every 3 new characters... I love the groundwork and basis of this game, and I think it'd be a great way for SNKP to keep themselves in the (semi?) public eye, while working on other projects with the rest of their teams.

Buffer breaking trick
This trick is used to cancel normals into super in an easier way. For example in KOF98 it is not that easy to cancel cl.C into 2xqcf+P, and if you try to buffer it as qcf+C qcf+P, qcf+C comes out instead of close C. In KOF (and this includes KOFXIII) you can ‘break’ the special buffer by including a direction not part of a special motion. For example back.

So to do the above combo you can buffer it in the following way: down, down-forward, forward, back, press C, down, down-forward, forward, press Punch. This way close C into super comes out.

You can also use down, to do cr.C into super: down, down-forward, forward, down, press C down-forward, forward, press Punch.

This can also be used if you buffer a qcf, but make up your mind and decide you just want to do the normal, press back and then the normal. to simply get the normal. Or, of course, if you do qcb, you can press forward to get the normal.

Is this something a lot of people do?

GrayFoxPL

Man, the only seller who has the game at decent pricing here is an asshole one.
Ordering through them is like putting your dick in a blender then slurpin' it in together with rest of the home made spaghetti sauce.

So I'm holding back.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Got dammit people why didnt you tell me that XIII is one of the best looking games ever?
Played just a little bit to unlock Saiki (Billy will be next).. but damn THOSE GRAPHICZ!
And the sound? Oh man you can almost feel the hit stun!

Tried 3 matches online with a guy from Argentina (Same province)
1) He made the room: Delay 3 short input delay but enough to ruin the experience
2) I made the room: Delay 4 playable!
3) I made the room: Delay 4 ... it was like playing underwater about 1 or 2 secs delay and the game looked like 15fps (Im sure it renders at 60fps but the time factor increases a lot)

So yeah i just scratched the surface: This is easily one of the best fighting games ever made.
Im still in awe at the depth of the combo/cancel system.

Got dammit people why didnt you tell me that XIII is one of the best looking games ever?
Played just a little bit to unlock Saiki (Billy will be next).. but damn THOSE GRAPHICZ!
And the sound? Oh man you can almost feel the hit stun!

Tried 3 matches online with a guy from Argentina (Same province)
1) He made the room: Delay 3 short input delay but enough to ruin the experience
2) I made the room: Delay 4 playable!
3) I made the room: Delay 4 ... it was like playing underwater about 1 or 2 secs delay and the game looked like 15fps (Im sure it renders at 60fps but the time factor increases a lot)

So yeah i just scratched the surface: This is easily one of the best fighting games ever made.
Im still in awe at the depth of the combo/cancel system.

So now you get to join us in our heartfelt wait for a netcode patch. Welcome to the club.

Mature

Has it been the same core group since the 1990s? S.N.K.'s sound design is so, so far beyond anyone else's.
Is it really? I've always loved how visceral the characters can sound, but I thought it might be just because it was a certain different style of sound design. If they're just flat out BETTER that makes more sense I guess, haha.

Busaiku

Ok, so in the end Kensou is an easy enough character to learn, so I'll definitely be sticking with him.

Why does my execution have to be such garbage though.
And why can't I play with my character on the Player 2 side.

Cheska

Hurray!Managed to find a copy at Gamestop that still had the soundtrack :) Problem Im now having as a KoF novice is that all the characters are likeable and fun and I dont know what team to go with. I'll probably just spend more time in training to figure out which charatcer works best for my playstyle. Gotta admit, finding that the trials in this game are harder than any other fighting game I've played.

Vice makes beating Saiki and Dark Ash SO easy that I almost feel bad using her just to complete the story mode cutscenes. Almost.

Well, finally got 100% on story.
Shion, Shroom, and Rimeolo are totally gonna be important in the next arc. Probably the Dragon Power saga finally...yeah I can't say that with a straight face either. I do mean the first sentence though.

Shadow780

I just used Goro and spam earthquake :lol

Finally finished Maxima's trial since his is the easiest, and about 20 trials to go until trophies!

Tizoc

Vice makes beating Saiki and Dark Ash SO easy that I almost feel bad using her just to complete the story mode cutscenes. Almost.

WHAT IS YOUR VICE SECRET?! Share man, I wanna get that 'beat arcade without continuing' trophy.

So the less hits causes less maximum damage scaling, eh? That's nice and efficient.
Ugh sorry I wrote that when I was feeling sleepy:
Actually here's how much damage a basic combo into Goro's neomax does:
Jumping C/D-->St. C-HD activate->St. C-->Lvl. 1-->NEOMAX does 823 damage
If you use Lvl. 2 instead it does 849 damage
Sorry, my intention was to bring up that if anyone's going to combo into his NEOMAX for max damage, then they should use Lvl. 1.

Variety. They also have better overall grapple ranges than Maxima, and are more focused as grapplers, whereas Maxima's something of a hybrid. They both get extremly-damaging grapple DMs, while Maxima gets a "striking" DM.
OK cool.
Besides, Raiden got that new "headrocker" Strong Mist, Close C, weak Mist HEAD-O-CRUSSSHA! combo, so he kinda doesn't need it. And Clark has a hop that lets him cancel out of normals into pressure, mixups, a delayed Guardpoint Grapple, etc...
Will try out that Raiden combo, thanks, but how good is Clark in getting in cuz ATM only good thing about hims is his HCF+B which can let you win laggy online matches more easly =V

For that matter, what do Raiden and Clark have that won't make Maxima the go to anchor/power type character?

HEADS UP, EASY 700-800 DAMAGE NEOMAX COMBOS!

So I spent a few mins in training mode trying to find some easy combos into NEOMAX. I only tested a few characters but here are some easy combos that utilize at most 3 stocks:

Benimaru:
J. C-->St. C-HD activate->St. C-->NEOMAX does 585 damage
J. C-->St. C-HD activate->St. C-->QCF+AxxNEOMAX does 604 damage
J. C-->St. C-HD activate->St. C-->QCF+AxxQCFx2+PxxNEOMAX does 798 damage

Also, QCFx2+PPxxNEOMAX does 853 damage

Goro:
As I wrote above-
Jumping C/D-->St. C-HD activate->St. C-->Lvl. 1-->NEOMAX does 823 damage
If you use Lvl. 2 instead it does 849 damage

Terry:
Terry's NEOMAX won't do a lot of damage at the corner, making his NEOMAX rather situational:
J. C-->St. C (2 hits)-->DF+C-HD activate->St. C (2 hits)-->DF+C-->QCB+AxxQCFx2+KxxNEOMAX does 727 damage

Anyone know how much damage this combo would do? I can't seem to do it ^_^;
J. C-->St. C (2 hits)-->DF+C-HD activate->St. C (2 hits)-->DF+C-->QCB+AxxQCB+BxxNEOMAX
OR
J. C-->St. C (2 hits)-->DF+C-HD activate->St. C (2 hits)-->DF+C-->NEOMAX

Joe:
Jumping C-->St. C-->Fwd+B-HD activate->St. C-->QCFx2+PxxNEOMAX does 822 damage (with a 2nd Fwd+B it does 824 lol)
Jumping C-->St. C-->Fwd+B-HD activate->St. C-->QCFx2+PPxxNEOMAX does 929 damage o_O
The NEOMAX can hit as an OTG (sorta, just try it out for yourselves)

Betty:
Jumping C-->St. C-->Fwd+B-HD activate-->St. C-->Fwd+B-->DP+C-->QCFx2+PxxNEOMAX does 781 damage (897 with Lvl. 2 super)
^If you do QCF+HP after DP+C then the supers, the damage will be 792

Will keep on testing some more combos later.
If what I wrote is a little difficult to understand, let me know so I can rewrite it.

Grokbu

Huh, I had no idea HD mode didn't let you build meter.
Wait, what?
I don't remember reading about this change.

Also. About one week after shipping; No game today either. Feels like I'm never gonna get it. :(

EDIT: Nvm. Reading fails me yet again. I thought you meant that it builds meter in HD now. -_-

Tizoc

Got some more
Easy 700-800 combos using NEOMAX

Shen Woo:
Woah, Shen has a nice easy damaging combo into his NEOMAX, for 850 damage and one that can be done ANYWHERE on the screen, this is a must learn.
Jumping C-->St. C-->Fwd+B-->HD activate-->St. C-->Fwd+B-->NEOMAX does 644 damage
If performed with QCB+A, QCF+A after the 2nd Fwd+B, the damage will be around 670

Jumping C-->St. C-->Fwd+B-->HD activate-->St. C-->Fwd+B-->QCF+AxxQCB+A, QCF+AxxQCF+DxxQCF+C (Quick charge)-->QCFx2+P-->NEOMAX does 850 damage
If you don't do the QCFx2+P, the damage is 729
Note that you don't have to super cancel the QCF+C, input it after you recover from it and it'll combo

Maxima:
Jumping C-->St. C-->HD activate-->St. C-->NEOMAX does 597 damage
Jumping C-->St. C-->HD activate-->St. C-->HCB+B, QCB+PxxQCFx2+PxxNEOMAX does 794 damage
The timing for the input is a bit tricky so practice inputting it so it comes out after Maxima hits the opponent

Kim Kap Hwan:
Jumping C-->St. C-->HD activate-->St. C-->QCB+DxxNEOMAX does 680 damage
Jumping C-->St. C-->HD activate-->St. C-->QCB+DxxD flash kickxxQCB+KK in the air-->NEOMAX does 763 damage
If you do his Lvl. 1 super instead of EX QCB+KK, the damage will be less (734)

Here's a combo that uses 5 gauages and is easy to do from anywhere on the screen:
Jumping C-->St. C-->HD activate-->St. C-->QCB+DxxD flash kickxxQCB+KK in air-->D flash kickxxQCB+KK in air-->D flash kickxxQCB+KK in the air-->NEOMAX
Combo does 850 damage

Hwa Jai:
Hwa's got some nice combos with Drive cancels and HD cancels, though oddly enough, the full animation for his NEOMAX only works if you are VERY close to your opponent: It's almost a grab super lol.
Note that you can replace St. C with Cr. C in any of these combos.

Jumping. C-->St. C-->DF+B-->DP+D-->QCB+B-->Lvl. 1 ranbu does 508 damage. Lvl. 2 does 574
This combo can be done ANYWHERE on the screen, so if you've got meter to spare, def. try to do this combo

Jumping. C-->Cr. C-->DF+B-->HD-->Cr. C-->DF+B-->grab super-->NEOMAX
Enter NEOMAX as they are floating from the knee kick, this combo does 789 damage

Corner only:
Jumping C-->Cr. C-->DF+B-->HD activate-->Cr. C-->DF+B-->DP+DxxDP+B-->DP+BxxQCB+D
Wait for them to fall
DP+DxxDP+B-->DP+BxxQCB+D
Wait for them to fall
DP+DxxQCB+D-->QCB+D-->Lvl. 1/2 super
Ending with Lvl. 1 does 837 damage, whereas Lvl. 2 does 879 damage
This one takes practice but is a nice way to show off and finish off your opponent >=3
Any capable of finding a variant that ends with the non-grab ver. of the NEOMAX?

Here's a non-HD mode variant of the above combo-
Jumping C-->Cr. C-->DF+B-->DP+DxxDP+B-->DP+BxxQCB+D-->QCB+D-->Lvl. 1/2 super
637 damage with Lvl. 1, 687 with Lvl. 2

Raiden:
THAH BOMBA! Cr. C does more damage than St. C BTW, so although you can use St. C in these combos, the damage difference is like 10-20 points
Jumping C-->Cr. C-->HD activate-->Cr. C-->ZAH BOMBA! does 609 damage

Jumping C-->Cr. C-->HD activate-->Cr. C-->EX TacklexxZAH BOMBA! does 698 damage

Jumping C-->Cr. C-->HD activate-->Cr. C-->QCB+PP-->QCFx2+P (4 hits)-->ZAH BOMBA! does 758 damage

That's all for now, will try some more out later <3

It can't be all that bad: Maybe you found various situations one should NOT attempt a jump-in at =3

lol, true.

Oh I forgot, I had this to share:

Saiki corner combo

cr.Bx2, qcf+AC, qcb+D (hold D), j.b+B, dp+B (DC) qcf+C, qcb+D (hold D), j.b+B, qcf+A, dp+B (DC) qcf+C, qcb+D (hold D), j.b+B, qcf+A, qcfx2+K (591 dmg)

You use two meters to perform this combo, but actually need only one and full drive to initiate it, the other is gained right when you need it at the end.

Tizoc

Niiiiiiice.
I don't plan on using Saiki (at least not until he's throughly explored), but will try that combo out later =D

So how is the netcode on the 360 version holding up?

According to Gametrailers and IGN video reviews KOFXIII offers a laggy online experience. Some fansite apparently wrote an open letter to SNK and Atlus regarding the netcode. You can look it up at n4g.com.

I guess it's SNK as usual?!

That pretty much means that I won't buy the game.

ScOULaris

I want this game so bad, but I'm holding off due to the substandard netcode and my lack of extra cash at the moment

I'm thinking this will make a perfect Christmas present. There's probably little chance of SNK releases a netcode patch, right?

I want this game so bad, but I'm holding off due to the substandard netcode and my lack of extra cash at the moment

I'm thinking this will make a perfect Christmas present. There's probably little chance of SNK releases a netcode patch, right?

I bought every SNK game on 360 with the exception of Battle Coliseum and Samurai Shodown Sen and I can't remember any game where the netcode was patched.

It might happen for XIII but I wouldn't bet on it.

Frankfurt

Banned
I bought every SNK game on 360 with the exception of Battle Coliseum and Samurai Shodown Sen

The two best netcodes in the history of SNK.

Also, every report says 4 bars netcode in XIII is smooth and 3 bars is ok. If you don't have people with the game in your city, then sure, it'll suck since you won't be getting 4 bars. But don't try to make this into some "unplayable OMG" deal, because games like SF4 and MVC3 had worse netcode that was considered fine and have people playing to this day.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Also, every report says 4 bars netcode in XIII is smooth and 3 bars is ok. If you don't have people with the game in your city, then sure, it'll suck since you won't be getting 4 bars. But don't try to make this into some "unplayable OMG" deal, because games like SF4 and MVC3 had worse netcode that was considered fine and have people playing to this day.

I had a 4 bar match that it had about 2 or 3 secs of input delay. Then i played against the same guy and it worked fine. The netcode is whack.

ScOULaris

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. SF4 and MvC3 have some of the best netcode in fighting games. Much better than all of the competition, at least (except for BlazBlue).

Lothars

The Netcode is okay at best but it's certainly not as good as SSF4 or UMVC3 netcode, I am hoping a patch fixes it.

Grokbu

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one. SF4 and MvC3 have some of the best netcode in fighting games. Much better than all of the competition, at least.

I have not tried XIII's netcode, but regular MVC3's netcode was really bad for me. I played with people in my country too (Sweden).

Skilletor

Bullshit. UMvC3 and SSF4 have great netcode.

This netcode is horrible. 3 bars is not okay. 4 bars might be playable, but I think it's a myth. People I have amazing connection with in every other game I only get 2 or 3 bars in this.

SNK fighters are a niche in my region so it's almost impossible to get into a good online match.

Compared to that I had a very good experience with SF4, SSF4 and MvC3. Nothing beats the BlazBlue (CS) netcode though.

SNK games have pretty much the worst netcode in the fighting genre. Only the Mortal Kombat games compare.

Shadow780

4-bars can be inconsistent too. I have a friend nearby and we played with 4 bars and sometimes it's smooth (slight delay), and sometimes it's laggy as shit.

The netcode is just weird. Sometimes 2 bars are absolutely unplayable and others ok enough to play casually, and 3 is either as laggy as a good 2 bar connection or quite playable with only a small amount of lag.

WHAT IS YOUR VICE SECRET?! Share man, I wanna get that 'beat arcade without continuing' trophy.

DP+A/C until dead. They may hit you out of it or move out of range at times, but if they're in the corner they're as good as dead. This applies to pretty much all of the AI at least on default.

Top Bottom