• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I feel like everyone praises BlazBlue's "netcode" and asks "why can't every fighting game have netcode this good" when really the reason it plays so smooth online are the massive amounts of command buffer window and hitstun masking any input delay.
Ok, while Blazblue as a game does lack fast normals, it doesn't actually have a command buffer for everything. What it will do is auto-repeat an input you hold down for up to 5 frames, and this includes the second forward on dashes. You can't just tap forward twice during a window and have it work, the actual input needs to occur when it can occur.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hitokage did you got KOFXIII yet?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Not yet, but I did play some at a local ranbat session last night.

I used to know how to play a handful of characters back in KOF98, but now I'm only partially competent with King. :/
Im kinda (Just kinda) biased but you should get it. Great game.
=3

alstein

Not yet, but I did play some at a local ranbat session last night.

I used to know how to play a handful of characters back in KOF98, but now I'm only partially competent with King. :/

The nice thing with King is her EX Trap Shot is pretty much as good as a SF2 SRK in terms of air defense and can lead to huge damage. This may be the best King in terms of getting stuff done since KOF94.
I'm trying to find an excuse to not use her- I'm trying to convert my style to be a bit more pleasing.

I'm unsure if she's top tier, but she's definitely more viable then she is in most KOFs.

Fersis

One way HCF would be recornized as DP is if you entered F, HCF real quick-like.
Yeah.

I use the DualShock3 analog stick and sometimes i mess up. Need to step up my execution or buy a damn stick (Which i really really want)

Tizoc

Yeah.

I use the DualShock3 analog stick and sometimes i mess up. Need to step up my execution or buy a damn stick (Which i really really want)

I use a pad too and had my share of input problems that were not too severe.
Have you tried the 850 damage Shen combo I posted?

Fersis

I use a pad too and had my share of input problems that were not too severe.
Have you tried the 850 damage Shen combo I posted?
Havent tried Shen at all yet. :0

In fact i havent been in the lab yet. (Double :0)

Have been playing off line most of the time .
When i go online and start to miss combos i get more pissed off than usual .
I blame this all of Fersis for saying the next code was going to be bad lol .

Frankfurt

Banned
This has been bothering me as of late and I keep wondering why, I mean cant they just license out their netcode?

Maybe it doesn't work for KOF (SNK went on record to say they tried GGPO and didn't work for KOFXIII at all, so it can be the same here)? You can't just slap a netcode in every fighter. Same reason Capcom can't use GGPO in every game.

There was a dude explaining why GGPO may not work with XIII way back in the SRK comment section, but i don't remember the details.

Or maybe ArcS doesn't want other companies using their netcode?

Kioshen

They did such a good job of making most of the cast interesting in XIII that I'm just overwhelmed with possible candidates. I think I'll just go with team boob squad with Yuri, King and Betty. Hopefully I'll finish Skyward Sword quickly, do a little lab work and finally get some matches done.

Hopefully the netcode works better on XBL.

The nice thing with King is her EX Trap Shot is pretty much as good as a SF2 SRK in terms of air defense and can lead to huge damage. This may be the best King in terms of getting stuff done since KOF94.
I'm trying to find an excuse to not use her- I'm trying to convert my style to be a bit more pleasing.

I'm unsure if she's top tier, but she's definitely more viable then she is in most KOFs.
2000, 02um, and 98um were games King is pretty good in, hell she's top tier in 2000. She just needs that cheap ass command grab back.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I know online isnt perfect but I've been plating a lot. haha. I just wait in practice until a 3-4 bar comes along. IVe been able to do HD combos and stuff so its not completely worthless.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I know online isnt perfect but I've been plating a lot. haha. I just wait in practice until a 3-4 bar comes along. IVe been able to do HD combos and stuff so its not completely worthless.

Totally. (360 Here.) I played VS JP players with Iori WTPOFs this morning (10 AM eastern time is not rest of USA friendly, lol.). Sure some were heavily laggy (input lag, but less actual choppiness), but A few of the JP, and even Italian / French connections were closer to local 2s, which isn't horribly given the massive distances.

I can pull of Leona HD combos online just as well as I do offline, lol. Which is about 2 or 3 loops of slashes before missing something :( Considering I NEVER got 1 loop for her back in 2k2UM, I'm happy with this progress after a week. I'm fairly confident I can actually master Leona combos / inputs in this game, and that makes me smile :) :) :)

Fersis

Atlus USA netcode response

AtlusAram said:
We have been carefully monitoring dialogue and feedback regarding the online play in THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII. While the general consensus is that KOF XIII is one of if not the best entry in the series and that the netcode is noticeably improved over the previous iteration, we're saddened to hear that many of our fans are frustrated with their online experiences thus far.

Just as it was in the months prior to the game's release, we will do everything within our influence to help developer SNK PLAYMORE test and continue to improve KOF XIII's network performance. To this end, the detailed feedback we've received is invaluable.

We greatly appreciate the dedication of players who are diligently reporting their online experiences, and we sincerely thank the community for all of the passion and support it has offered us and THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII.

LegatoB

Oh hey, someone at Atlus's PR department realized that letting your idiot QA guys be your public face for the game was a bad idea.

Fersis

Oh hey, someone at Atlus's PR department realized that letting your idiot QA guys be your public face for the game was a bad idea.
What happened? This is news to me.

LegatoB

What happened? This is news to me.
When people discovered that certain PS2->USB converters and non-PS3 standard USB controllers (like the USB Neo-Geo stick), which work with every PS3 fighting game except KOF13 (including other SNK titles) weren't working in the game, and posted about it on the board, one Atlus tester said that the affected parties should "man up" and buy a new controller. Later in the thread, another tester said not to send "bug reports" to Atlus because they didn't program the game.

notworksafe

The "bug reports" thing was the guy saying not to send shit that aren't actually bugs to them.

There are quotation marks because your definition of "bug report" differs from the QA staff's definition of bug report. That doesn't mean we don't want to hear about major problems.

But some people are going to get the idea to send off something like, "Bug: There should be more customizable color edit slots." and while that may seem like a "bug report" to the community, it's not anywhere close, hence the quotes.
http://atlus.com/forum/showpost.php?p=271214&postcount=41

Fersis

So, when doing Saiki's d+B, d+B, hcbx2+AC, I'm supposed to do 632+B,14632+B,14+AC?

I can't pull the hcbx2 fast enough x_x
I did that trial last night and i did a true honest HCBx2

I did that trial last night and i did a true honest HCBx2

Really? When I do manage to pull off the hcbx2 it's always too late :|

Man that'd be so much easier if qcb+K xx hcbx2+AC was something more than just a waste of a drive bar and 2 meters >_>

EDIT: Well, that's irrelevant now, I just did it with the method I said.

Frankfurt

Banned
Atlus is just the middle-man, they can't do much. You guys really think SNK Japan will fix it? They have never fixed anything - the only case i can think of was SNK US replacing SvC carts. With KOF XII, Ignition kept perstering SNK about a million things and nothing ever got done.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Been playing Kula, Kyo and Shen lately as my main team. Feel like I am making a lot of progress but I have yet to play anyone else really so this weekend STA ranbats should be crazy!

I dropped K' though I might use him in the tourney just cuz I am familiar with him.

Atlus is just the middle-man, they can't do much. You guys really think SNK Japan will fix it? They have never fixed anything - the only case i can think of was SNK US replacing SvC carts. With KOF XII, Ignition kept perstering SNK about a million things and nothing ever got done.

Yeah someone messaged me earlier saying THEY ARE FIXING THE NETCODE!!! I am like, well I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Galdelico

Man, the game.

MAN.

So freaking GORGEOUS. I'm in love. This is the KoF I wanted to play since so many years.

SNKP PLEASE patch that stupid soften (it's a soften filter, not just upscaling), let the glorious pixels unleash their sexiness.
Come on.

Man, the game.

MAN.

So freaking GORGEOUS. I'm in love. This is the KoF I wanted to play since so many years.

SNKP PLEASE patch that stupid soften (it's a soften filter, not just upscaling), let the glorious pixels unleash their sexiness.
Come on.

No shit! I guess they're hiding behind the blur filter of shame due to people bitching about the pixels in XII. I hate everyone.

I finally got my PAL copy. Really nice packing by Rising Star Games, with reversible cover (although the alternate was uglier), a Mai poster/move list, a color manual and a CD full of artwork. Although I would have wanted the preorder soundtrack, but it wasn't available at my retailer.

Liking the game so far, and it's nice that the KoFXII style brownish sprites can be brightened up a lot using the color edit.

Frankfurt

Banned
Man, the game.

MAN.

Come on.

I agree.

But i assume that they were worried about pixel-doubling due to the sprites not being 100% nor 200% size in XIII. Still think they should've allowed the option, doubling or not.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for the preview of the themes Haunts! Casual KoF art is always so fun; back to form in that department, it seems.

We'll see where the netcode concerns lead us; everything else about this release is above and beyond their normal effort, so it wouldn't be too suprising if they surpass expectations with their response here, either. But with the Game BARELY released in Japan, and 2 teased DLC characters not even officially unveiled yet, they gotta catch up to what we know and feel, officially, so far.

In other news, Every day, I fall for different characters. Hwa and Chin are the champions today... Maxima and Leona are permanent fixtures... Duo Lon, Clark, Billy, Vice, Kim, Athena, and Terry all fit in there somewhere, and Mai is probably my favorite battery... so many great characters :)

For the record, I find doubling much more ugly than slight "blur". I'd appreciate the option, but I think they made the right choice, if it was an "only one or the other" option. You're really NOT missing out on any real details here. And I actually have an HD TV now, lol, so...

Top Bottom