• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Frankfurt

Banned
Preview video for the XBL KOF Themes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ond96dt6Gkc

I hadn't seen Theme 3 yet. Thanks.

Each Theme has good and bad sides... Theme 1 is the most consistent, but none of the images are "super cool" or anything, and the main logo is completelly misplaced. Theme 2's main image doesn't work as not only it's too casual and soft, it also gets cropped to hell. The secondary images all are more striking, IMO. Theme 3 is the one that fits the dashboard the best, but they're a bit too Shinkiro-esque and don't match the "out-there" tone of the XII-XIII sprites.

I wonder how they'll fit the December 6 dashboard.

Got bodied at a ranbat earlier in the evening. I'm too much of a dumbfuck to figure out this "giving up" thing regular people do, so I'm gonna hit the lab tomorrow and learn what the fuck a Mature actually is.

In all seriousness, I'm glad execution wasn't an issue overall. Didn't really drop anything, but that's because I don't attempt stuff in a match until I have it down in training mode.

How come no one does running grabs? Did I invent something??

I just have trouble doing the cancels (I keep messing my timings). For anyone who has tried that combo; how much damage does it do.

For the cancels, after you initiate HD, your first d,u+p XX dash slash you do the slash kind of a bit slow, and then after that you do it almost immediately. Your a snk player so this probably might not be an issue for you, but I'm used to doing all left/right charge inputs as b,f,b+p, (to start charge buffering ala sf series) which is completely unnecessary in this game since you have a 30f charge time AND you have to be holding forward when you press K for dash slash, dunno if that was an issue for you or not.

Also after doing up slash dash slash loop five times, I don't do her super, I just go straight to the neo max. They're usually popped up pretty high in the air after 5 reps, so I just link the neomax afterwards as a juggle. I'm not right next to the game right now so I'll get you the specific damage comparison numbers in a bit.

Someone mentioned that in the comments. Thats some bullshit and I havent event spent a lot of money on themes. I bought these and the SF4 ones for video purposes but I can imagine other people being really pissed!

thx for the heads up guess i'll save me some money not buying any of these because of the new update.

Someone mentioned that in the comments. Thats some bullshit and I havent event spent a lot of money on themes. I bought these and the SF4 ones for video purposes but I can imagine other people being really pissed!
The only way you see the full affect of that theme if you go to the friends sub-menu. Basically, when you're in the main friends tab, the people that are logged in on your friends list are the only one's shown. And you don't see those cool character backgrounds behind your friends. But if you go to the FULL friends sub-menu, you see them. The cool wallpaper is blocked on the main dash. The only way to see them if you go to your friends tab and go to the sub-menu :( Kind of annoying.

The only way you see the full affect of that theme if you go to the friends sub-menu. Basically, when you're in the main friends tab, the people that are logged in on your friends list are the only one's shown. And you don't see those cool character backgrounds behind your friends. But if you go to the FULL friends sub-menu, you see them. The cool wallpaper is blocked on the main dash. The only way to see them if you go to your friends tab and go to the sub-menu :( Kind of annoying.

Yeah, totally sucks. I need high res rips of all this art! TERRY WITH DAT HAMBURGER!

Got bodied at a ranbat earlier in the evening. I'm too much of a dumbfuck to figure out this "giving up" thing regular people do, so I'm gonna hit the lab tomorrow and learn what the fuck a Mature actually is.

In all seriousness, I'm glad execution wasn't an issue overall. Didn't really drop anything, but that's because I don't attempt stuff in a match until I have it down in training mode.

Going to NEC this weekend and see were I'm at in the game. My Kyo is on point(By mistake, lol)Takuma, still needs some work. I'm hot and cold with my charge combo(HP,F+LK into charged kicks)during matches. But my pressure game is solid. Clark(My main in previous games) and Kim are in BETA. I just been to busy testing everyone out, to get a idea what's safe or not.

Galdelico

First time I went online, last night, and it was with an italian friend (360 version): we both had green delay 3 and the game ran flawlessly.

Aside from that, seeing the new stages in person is breath-taking... They really are outstanding (and I love the new, less animated, ones too).

Got 4th at TNT tonight. LPN eliminated me, dude is way better than I expected.

Good shit on 4th place, cannot wait to see how much you leveled up Sunday.

Oh, wow. This game gets ignored again by the big streamers. It's either, we might show it and end up not doing so, or we will show it at 3 in morning when everyone's sleeping.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh, wow. This game gets ignored again by the big streamers. it's either, we might show it and end up not doing so, or we will show it at 3 in morning when everyone's sleeping.
Is a known fact that KOF is not that popular in the US

Got 4th at TNT tonight. LPN eliminated me, dude is way better than I expected.
Congrats. What are your thoughts on the console version after playing the Arcade version so much?

alstein

Goos shit on 4th place, cannot wait to see how much you leveled up Sunday.

Oh, wow. This game gets ignored again by the big streamers. it's either, we might show it and end up not doing so, or we will show it at 3 in morning when everyone's sleeping.

I don't think that will happen at NEC, unless KOF gets bumped for Arcana. They like their poverty of there. This isn't EVO. Wong's also playing, which will help. The more top players get into this, the better it will do- and many folks aren't happy with Capcom these days so they're looking for a new game, even if it's just to actually enjoy playing a fighter instead of making that money.

KOF should get love at FR also- ShinBlanka's always been good on the SNK support.
I've seen a good number of ATL players online on PSN as well.

Tizoc

Want me to try out some Mature stuff in Training mode too? Always willing to help if I can =3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Max Cancels and such that were missing from SNKP's combo vids yesterday, have now arrived! 15 min worth of very painful combos by SNKP, which actually really makes me respect their testers creativity and skill:

コンボ動画『マニアックコンボ前半』

&#12467;&#12531;&#12508;&#21205;&#30011;&#12302;&#12510;&#12491;&#12450;&#12483;&#12463;&#12467;&#12531;&#12508;&#24460;&#21322;&#12303; <- LoL at Athena taking a jab at Chun-Li's MvC3 infinite (o_O)
Team Psycho Soldiers breakin' the game all over the place, lol. Maxima and K' combos also had some suprising moments I didn't expect!

Special Friday Blogpost that goes with it: http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2011/12/kof13_1.html

Crazy combos, and I didn't know Raiden has a Hogan costume.

Hogan? nope, Big Bear

FF_Bear.png

rivals

Preview video for the XBL KOF Themes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ond96dt6Gkc

Yeah good shit to Atlus but not sure if it will affect what SNK-Poverty does.

Thanks for everything you've been doing to get people into this game :) I've only been playing it casually so far but I've gotten some other people in the south bay to pick it up so hopefully it catches on. Hopefully it picks up enough that we'll have it at some of the smaller events around here.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Seeing the sprites so sharp depresses me.

You see them just as sharp each time you select them on character select and on the order select screen.

Wonky pixel doubling and shimmering during zoom-ins would still annoy me more. XD

It would be nice if the game had a sprite-viewer for characters, too. With frame-by-frame and special effect viewers to boot.

Tizoc

Oh man, just noticed that one of the characters in the current Daredevil comic wears a mask like Raiden's.
Now I want to make a pallete of Raiden to resemble him:
dcgUA.jpg

The Max Cancels and such that were missing from SNKP's combo vids yesterday, have now arrived! 15 min worth of very painful combos by SNKP, which actually really makes me respect their testers creativity and skill:

&#12467;&#12531;&#12508;&#21205;&#30011;&#12302;&#12510;&#12491;&#12450;&#12483;&#12463;&#12467;&#12531;&#12508;&#21069;&#21322;&#12303;

&#12467;&#12531;&#12508;&#21205;&#30011;&#12302;&#12510;&#12491;&#12450;&#12483;&#12463;&#12467;&#12531;&#12508;&#24460;&#21322;&#12303; <- LoL at Athena taking a jab at Chun-Li's MvC3 infinite (o_O)
Team Psycho Soldiers breakin' the game all over the place, lol. Maxima and K' combos also had some suprising moments I didn't expect!

Special Friday Blogpost that goes with it: http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2011/12/kof13_1.html

Wow, with 2k2UM and XIII SNK testers sure have been shown to be badasses at combo making :O

Dave Long

Banned
Man... I think I'm at the end of my fighting game life. I get so destroyed online it's not even funny. I don't have time to learn sixteen button push/myriad stick motion combos. I don't know if I ever really did have that time? I was always just really good at blocking and countering and that doesn't seem to work in these games anymore.

I really dig the game, and my online has been excellent so far, but it's clear that this genre is passing me by. The rivet counters have taken over and people who play for fun are long gone from fighting games.

Man... I think I'm at the end of my fighting game life. I get so destroyed online it's not even funny. I don't have time to learn sixteen button push/myriad stick motion combos. I don't know if I ever really did have that time? I was always just really good at blocking and countering and that doesn't seem to work in these games anymore.

I really dig the game, and my online has been excellent so far, but it's clear that this genre is passing me by. The rivet counters have taken over and people who play for fun are long gone from fighting games.
Just calm down, what are you getting destroyed by?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

I know youre feeling blue but no need to say that. I play for fun and im the worst player ever and im cool with that.

Dave Long

Banned
Just calm down, what are you getting destroyed by?
The other night, it was a Kyo combo that this guy did any time he landed one hit. It just seems like these combos go on so long that I may as well walk away and do something else while my as much as 75% of my life bar disappears. So frustrating.

I dunno... back in the '90s, I stayed away from games like that (Killer Instinct comes to mind) because it's no fun when you're not in control, and when that happens control is just taken from you.

If I were designing a fighting game today, no combo would last more than five or so hits except a super, and those supers wouldn't be able to be linked in. I feel like that would bring a lot of the excitement back for me.

I just love this game's characters, backgrounds, sounds and the way it feels like fighting. Everything about it is so fucking cool. So much cooler than anything Capcom ever does or anyone else for that matter. SNK always makes me say FUCK YEAH! when I play their games, but losing over and over takes a bunch of the fun away and I'm not 18 anymore so I can't spend hours learning combos. I turn 40 in January. My best fighting days are likely behind me forever.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I know youre feeling blue but no need to say that. I play for fun and im the worst player ever and im cool with that.

I play for fun and still have managed to have a much larger amount of wins than losses in KOF XIII so far. You don't have to go nuts with combos, but they obviously help.

Dave, I think you're already on my friends list...hit me up if you want to play!

alstein

Well, I'm in a similar boat. I'm going to quit being competitive shortly- barring any miracle performance at the major I'm going to soon. I don't have the dexterity to keep up. I use a very heavy block and counter style, and it works for me. Maybe I can help you strategically? (Too bad you're XBL). That said, KOF you need a little more active defense- use your CD counter, AB guard cancel rolls, and low B's to counter hops, jabs for jump-ins.

That said, you don't need to do the trials to be effective. I use herp derp combos and can win enough.

If KOF fails, look at less executionally demanding fighters, or maybe try 3d fighters: SC and VF don't require all those button presses usually.

BTW fuzzy guards/option selects aren't really super-needed. They can help, but this isn't SF4, they're not the be all end all of everything. On GGPO I saw fuzzy guard used on me by a grand total of two players, and only a half dozen times in total.

That said, this KOF is much more executionally demanding then 98, though a base of solid fundamentals and pokes can still scrap out wins.

Skilletor

I wouldn't play if the game wasn't fun.

To me, this is everything fighting games used to be. I love it.

Degen

I don't think KoF XIII is a good indicator of how you fare at modern fighting games. Compared to the others, it's super-difficult

I do get what Dave is saying about combo length / amount of button pressing. I enjoyed it some, but I felt pretty old trying to keep up with MvC3 and I dropped it pretty quickly. I totally don't mind losing, or getting punished when I make a mistake. But I'd second Dave on not really enjoying having that punishment take like 30 seconds and tons of inputs. I didn't realize that KOF was that heavy in that way, but I've not played it so I couldn't say.

I don't think KoF XIII is a good indicator of how you fare at modern fighting games. Compared to the others, it's super-difficult

I think it depends on who you use. I have hwa, leona, and k' and all my 80% damage hd combos took me like less than 30 min. to get down for each. There's a lot of things in sf4 that I find harder to do than what I do with my team.

ALSO so the RUNNING GRAB THING that NO ONE DOES, yall should try it, feels like a game changer to me unless theres something I'm missing out on. Being able to just run up to someone and grab them is super nice.

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah, I skipped UMvC3, and my kids really liked playing MvC3. There was no point getting the new one because I got pwned online in that game and the same thing happened there. Combos go on for what seems like hours.

Lyte, I'll probably take you up on some fights if I see you online. I feel like I should give up, but that doesn't mean I will. I just love these SNK games. Nothing comes close IMO. But it does get frustrating to lose so much. I was listening to the soundtrack again today. So cool.

See... the post above is what I'm talking about... "80% damage hd combos".

So you're saying you can combo off 80% of my health after a single hit lands? That's just plain wrong IMO. Fighting games should strive to eliminate that kind of stuff.

I do get what Dave is saying about combo length / amount of button pressing. I enjoyed it some, but I felt pretty old trying to keep up with MvC3 and I dropped it pretty quickly. I totally don't mind losing, or getting punished when I make a mistake. But I'd second Dave on not really enjoying having that punishment take like 30 seconds and tons of inputs. I didn't realize that KOF was that heavy in that way, but I've not played it so I couldn't say.

Older games aren't this combo heavy, A combo in 98 took like 2-3 seconds.

See... the post above is what I'm talking about... "80% damage hd combos".

So you're saying you can combo off 80% of my health after a single hit lands? That's just plain wrong IMO. Fighting games should strive to eliminate that kind of stuff.

The thing is, those 80% combos (usually) require plenty of both execution and meter, to get that much damage one needs practice unlike MvC3s combos.

I know how you feel though, in this game, if you're not very skilled, fighting a good player is REALLY overwhelming. Hell, that's why I barely played the arcade version, the gap between my skill and everyone else's was such that it took out all of the fun of the game, but when I was able to play someone around my level, my god it was one of the best things ever.

Older games aren't this combo heavy, A combo in 98 took like 2-3 seconds.

They weren't as long, no, but they did hit almost as hard.

BadWolf

You win some by a good margin and others you may get demolished in, who cares? You can be certain that that player who kicked your ass will get his ass handed to him just as bad, if not worse, by another more skilled than him.

Just play people of your own level, give or take, and continue to have fun (since you clearly really like the game itself).

Oh and just look up some combos, not all big damage is done through really long combos. You can get some great damage doing short combos via drive cancels, supers and EX moves. Like with Ralf sC, df+A, QCB+AB, HCB HCF+K does over 40% damage and yet is very short and easy to execute.

Also look up Hyper Drive bypass, you will do great damage easily via short combos ending in neomax.

Grokbu

ALSO so the RUNNING GRAB THING that NO ONE DOES, yall should try it, feels like a game changer to me unless theres something I'm missing out on. Being able to just run up to someone and grab them is super nice.

So I got the game yesterday and I'm trying it now. Is what you're describing the player running and then stopping and throw after that?

If so, maybe a reason people aren't doing it is because you can't immediately block while running? But it is nice to be able to do.

It's all about meter management as usual in KOF. If you can build and save the meter/drive you should reap the rewards eventually, since you've basically been limiting both your offensive and defensive options the whole time by doing so. Also, older KOF games might have shorter combos but I'm pretty you can find the same kind of damage output. As for having to perform combos yourself, there are many characters who can achieve similar results in terms of damage while not requiring as many button presses.

Without the prospect of these high damage combos people would hardly think twice about burning meter especially when you see how good most EX moves are.

FindMyFarms said:

I've used it, you just have to have them scared shitless of pressing buttons first.

Straight from the lab and after discussing stuff with other players yesterday, re: Kyo

Land a throw and immediately whiffing hcb+B is an easy way to time a meaty close C that will leave you at frame advantage if blocked. In addition, since instant EX Orochinagi can be hit confirmed from close C (doesn't have to be a meaty), once you've got two bars there is little point in going into the usual blockstring cl.C df.D into upkicks/fireball, as those can get punished if the opponent performs a GCRoll among other things. Just use close C. You can hit confirm for 40%+ if it connects, or it leaves you at +0 on block at far D range.

Partly beaten by SolarKnight as I was double-checking things, heh.

Also look up Hyper Drive bypass, you will do great damage easily via short combos ending in neomax.

Seriously. Ryo: f+A qcf BC qcf AC = 50%+ for 2 meters + full drive. Makes you think twice before blocking low.

So I got the game yesterday and I'm trying it now. Is what you're describing the player running and then stopping and throw after that?

If so, maybe a reason people aren't doing it is because you can't immediately block while running? But it is nice to be able to do.

No stopping, just running and going straight into a throw. You run, then press C or D then kara cancel the normal into a throw. Input is C/D ~ f. Makes throwing in pressure strings a LOT faster.

I've used it, you just have to have them scared shitless of pressing buttons first.

Yeah, but compared to a conventional run and grab, you can close the distance and land a throw much more easily. You need no where near as big of a button pressing gap to hit the throw this way. Often times I would do a block string then run up and grab and it was pretty free.

BadWolf

Seriously. Ryo: f+A qcf BC qcf AC = 50%+ for 2 meters + full drive. Makes you think twice before blocking low.

Yep, with Clark you can:

sC (2 hits), HCF+BCD, Ex super, Neomax

Does over 90% damage.

You can skip the super and go straight into neomax if you have only 3 bars or want to conserve meter.

Top Bottom