• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Tizoc

I personally find XIII Kyo's Projectile move to be out of place, regardless of how much of a useful combo extender it is.
If anything XIII Kyo should've had the Rekkas instead of the projectile move.

Fersis, I look forward to seeing your wet fantasy outfit for Betty if the color DLC is out ;3

Also, Chang is awesome, quit hating. He was one of my FIRST SELECTED CHARACTERS EVER when I played KoF 97. He's a big bald dude who fucks you up with an iron ball.
AN IRON BALL.

BadWolf

IIRC we know that his EX hcb K is not even a grab and he lacks air Orochinagi. I was told he didn't have the 2-frame version of EX Orochinagi either. So basically compared to his regular counterpart he has inferior offensive and defensive options. Lacking a projectile makes him inferior in terms of zoning. On the plus side, close C f+B is a combo. Unless the damage is insane, I don't see what could make him on par with his regular counterpart. Now if you could pick both in the same team I'd definitely go for that, but I don't think that's possible this time around.

Also, unlike XIII Kyo, EX Kyo can't cancel his df+D into specials outside of HD mode. So no sC (or dB, dA), df+D, QCF+K etc. BnBs.

Rekkas will also probably get hit hard by damage scaling in extended combos.

I personally find XIII Kyo's Projectile move to be out of place, regardless of how much of a useful combo extender it is.
If anything XIII Kyo should've had the Rekkas instead of the projectile move.

Glad they took away rekkas from various characters, that includes Kyo and especially Kim.

BadWolf

Dunno, just not a fan.

Now Kyo, Iori, Kim etc have lost them and become more diverse and fresh in their approach to combos and offense imo.

XI Kyo had both his rekkas and fireball, I don't see how one or the other can be out of place.

Having a DP, fireball, rekkas and a running grab? Sounds way too similar to flame Iori.

Tizoc

XI Kyo had both his rekkas and fireball, I don't see how one or the other can be out of place.

It just feels that way. Might because of how his other moves work well together in combos.
I personally think that if Kyo had his rekkas instead of the projectile, he would have a good addition to his offensive tools.

Having a DP, fireball, rekkas and a running grab? Sounds way too similar to flame Iori.

And fireball Kyo isn't already? The rekkas are what separated them originally. Iori's was only 3 hits, while Kyo's had different branches and changed with the strength of the punch button.

Tizoc said:
I personally think that if Kyo had his rekkas instead of the projectile, he would have a good addition to his offensive tools.

XIII Kyo already has every type of basic offense at his disposal when he has meter (since the 1-frame grab is an EX move). Including the rekkas wouldn't really allow him to have an easier time opening up an opponent's defense. You can even already get hard knockdowns in combos with the other moves he has, too. It makes more sense for him to have a move that serves a purpose that his other moves don't.

Tizoc

XIII Kyo already has every type of basic offense at his disposal when he has meter (since the 1-frame grab is an EX move).
If he has meter. Not to say that getting meter in KoF XIII takes a while, but that doesn't necessarily mean his offensive is lacking when he has no meter does it?
Including the rekkas wouldn't really allow him to have an easier time opening up an opponent's defense.
So what does this mean for EX Kyo?

If he has meter. Not to say that getting meter in KoF XIII takes a while, but that doesn't necessarily mean his offensive is lacking when he has no meter does it?

No, but with that grab he really has every option for a mix-up: overhead, low and one-frame grab.

Tizoc said:
So what does this mean for EX Kyo?

Unless we're missing something (auto-guard rekkas could be it, provided the first one is safe on block, which I don't expect but you never know), for now I do believe that he is inferior to regular Kyo in every way. Kyo being really good though, I don't expect EX Kyo to be trash either.

I see people talking about Chang...

Hopefully the TRUE Chang will make his glorious return soon.
2EhiC.gif

BadWolf

And fireball Kyo isn't already? The rekkas are what separated them originally. Iori's was only 3 hits, while Kyo's had different branches and changed with the strength of the punch button.

That Kyo fireball and its pose is more iconic imo, just like even though I liked Kyo's look with the new white jacket it didn't quite feel the same without the sun emblem on the back. To me Iori's rekkas are a lot more unique to him than Kyo's.

So how is Billy Kane in this game?

Extremely solid, look up some Bala matches. Dude rapes ppl with him.

Dandy J

Hey you're the guy who never finished that KoF tutorial
hehe its been done the extra parts went into the 20 min version on rogueyoshi's channel

Including the rekkas wouldn't really allow him to have an easier time opening up an opponent's defense.
actually qcf+a combos from st.B, which is a fast low with range, its very good to threaten with once you get into that range. that is the biffest difference between the 2 chars. normal kyo can st.B xx qcf+B, but it's unsafe vs certain characters and he doesnt have the same options from it

Just got back from NEC, got to chill with Jaguar and some of my peeps from VA. KOF room was popping. To bad I didn't get that many matches in. To busy playing VF and T6. Random top players went into the room to show love to KOF, Fab and GM really want to learn the game. Even Spooky stopped by and chatted with us for a minute. This wasn't the best NEC I went to, due to some drama, but it was awesome kicking it with some of the Dreamcancel guys out their.

Tor is EX Iori can't wait to try him out .
On the topic of Kyo i much rather rekka Kyo but talking about his 98 version when he still has his counters also .

Dandy J

Tor is EX Iori can't wait to try him out .
On the topic of Kyo i much rather rekka Kyo but talking about his 98 version when he still has his counters also .
its kinda weird, nests kyo isnt really nests kyo, he doesnt have any nests specific moves. hcb+k is just the 98 style run catchem (does the whole animation on block) and ex version is a short range version of it, might have invincibility or something. he has 98 style final showdown instead of the nests version as well

Wonko_C

Unsurprisingly, Iori is already on disc, you just download a 100kb unlock key. Colors unlocker is not there yet, only Billy and Saiki for 80 MSP.

BadWolf

terry's crack shoot is too good. Shuts down any air jumps after a string and safe on block. :(

You can punish it with grabs.

Also, if you are using a shorter character (like King for example) you can just mash cr.LK to lower your hitbox. You will completely avoid the move and hit Terry as he lands, can then combo him off those lights.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im at the office but please tell me if they upload a color unlock!
Iori is damn bought! DAMN BOUGHT!

You know what is crazy? I havent touched Practice mode yet :S

You can punish it with grabs.

Also, if you are using a shorter character (like King for example) you can just mash cr.LK to lower your hitbox. You will completely avoid the move and hit Terry as he lands, can then combo him off those lights.

really? I will have to test that, sounds good.

Also, the crack shoot usually is done after a string where you're both neutral again but the distance isn't that close so he'll get a hit in with the tail end of the shoot but far enough from command grab range. So it is safe on block in most conditions that it's used I would say. That lower hit box thing sounds interesting.

Tizoc

Unless we're missing something (auto-guard rekkas could be it, provided the first one is safe on block, which I don't expect but you never know), for now I do believe that he is inferior to regular Kyo in every way. Kyo being really good though, I don't expect EX Kyo to be trash either.

...but doesn't EX Kyo have the same normals as Kyo? If he can use what Kyo uses to advance/get into his opponent, then he shouldn't have any problems would he?

BTW, anyone found any use for activating BC in the air?

Im at the office but please tell me if they upload a color unlock!
Iori is damn bought! DAMN BOUGHT!

Nope, just the character unlocks.

Nice they allow you to unlock those two without touching single player, but paying is pretty shitty.

Why? If you don't want to pay it only takes 10-15 minutes of your time at most to get either of them. If you're that lazy/hate single player that much that you won't even play it for half an hour, what's a dollar to unlock them? And it's not even $1 each, it's $1 for both :|

...but doesn't EX Kyo have the same normals as Kyo? If he can use what Kyo uses to advance/get into his opponent, then he shouldn't have any problems would he?

Lacking 2-frame EX Orochinagi makes close C much less of a threat, other than that and non-cancellable df+D there's not much difference but I don't see him being better. At least I'm not worried about him being broken so that's a plus.

BTW, anyone found any use for activating BC in the air?

Robert benefits from that to save meter though I don't remember the specifics, for the rest of the cast I guess you can use that for when you know you're going to land a jump-in or counter hit jump CD.

Why? If you don't want to pay it only takes 10-15 minutes of your time at most to get either of them. If you're that lazy/hate single player that much that you won't even play it for half an hour, what's a dollar to unlock them? And it's not even $1 each, it's $1 for both :|
Or they could have gone the SSF4 rounte and given you the entire cast from the beginning.

Even if they want to keep stuff hidden for people who enjoy single player in fighters, at least let us play with the entire cast in MP from the start!

Tizoc

Nope, just the character unlocks.

lol, unlocking Mu12 in BBCS(2) costs what 3 dollars?

Korigama

lol, unlocking Mu12 in BBCS(2) costs what 3 dollars?
$1...or free, if players sit through story mode.
why do ppl hate the "heaven stage" in streams? looks like any other stage to me/
The bright whiteness of the background is considerably more distracting than what could be found in the other stages. Basically, it seems to be the opposite of the night aircraft carrier background in MvC3/UMvC3 (gets complaints about being too dark to see anything).

Tizoc

^It is? I could've sworn it cost more than 1 pound on EU PSN @_@

why do ppl hate the "heaven stage" in streams? looks like any other stage to me/

The whiteness pierces your eyes like a blade. Imagine being asleep for so long and as you open your eyes the first thing you see is a bright flash of light.

Top Bottom