• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

I'm probably going to give this game up once SCV is out. It's a good game, but the online is just too terrible, and I can't get true experience of real situations to compete offline.

A great game isn't great if you can't play it properly, and I just don't have the time/resources to commit to offline play properly. It's a real shame, SNK got everything right except the most important part.
I don't regret buying the game, though I will pass on the DLC until there's a netcode patch.

*crosses fingers for bad netcode in SCV* hehehe just kidding.

GrayFoxPL

Heh I still can't get the game. Even shop who said that has it, lied. Fuck.

It's like good old pal land kof sales when they released like 14 copies per game which 9 of them ended in UK.

alstein

While online is important, it is not the most important. That goes to gameplay.

True, but that's obvious. Part of gameplay is access to the game the way it's meant to be played though. I judge fighters based on how they play online, since that's the vast majority of my play, and has been for about 8-9 years now.

If it wasn't for online kaillera/GGPO, I'd never have gotten into KOF anyways.

As for SC5 I think the floor for that game netcode wise is Tekken 6. Much of the issues with Tekken 6 online is due to how Tekken is supposed to be played (heavy emphasis on reactive play and whiff punishment). SC5 seems to be more focused on anticipatory play and mixup, which makes the game friendlier to online. So even with mediocre netcode the game should be playable. (I define playable as being capable of learning the game sufficiently to play offline via online) My one worry about online will be Just Guards, which won't be lag-friendly.

A game's design is a large factor in how a game handles online.

Recent convo I had with a UMvC3 playing friend:

-----------------------------------------------

me:
d00d
*link to amazon buy one get one half off*
KOF is part of the deal
half price if there's another game you want

Friend:
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM\
Intruiging

me:
there's some good games on that list too
12:19 PM

Friend:
I will get KoFXIII in time.. haha
I hope it makes the Greatest Hits list
And then drops $10
Hahaha
I may be a little cheap

me:
It'll never make greatest hits I'm afraid

Friend:
B-b-b-b-b-b-ut

me:
You seemed more interested in it than most people I've talked to!

Friend:
Haha it's a really stylish game
And I think I can get into it
At least casually
It's just I don't have much time right now to devote to learning something new

----------------------------------

:( :( :( :(

It's hard for me not to look at UMvC3 with disdain...

True, but that's obvious. Part of gameplay is access to the game the way it's meant to be played though. I judge fighters based on how they play online, since that's the vast majority of my play, and has been for about 8-9 years now.

As for SC5 I think the floor for that game netcode wise is Tekken 6. Much of the issues with Tekken 6 online is due to how Tekken is supposed to be played (heavy emphasis on reactive play and whiff punishment). SC5 seems to be more focused on anticipatory play and mixup, which makes the game friendlier to online. So even with mediocre netcode the game should be playable. (I define playable as being capable of learning the game sufficiently to play offline via online) My one worry about online will be Just Guards, which won't be lag-friendly.

Input lag will make any fighter horribly unplayable no matter what they are doing, SSing a vertical isn't worth shit if my SS comes out two seconds later.

alstein

Input lag will make any fighter horribly unplayable no matter what they are doing, SSing a vertical isn't worth shit if my SS comes out two seconds later.

two seconds of input lag kills any fighter. 3-4f of input lag is a much bigger deal in some fighters then other fighters.

Even with GGPO some fighters played much better then other fighters when playing the same person.

Skilletor

Every single Namco fighter has had horrible netcode. T5, SC4, T6. Horrible.

Mixups in lag lol. Safe lows all day.

Is it possible that the gameplay of KOF in all iterations is the reason (or a large part of) why netplay has always been janky?

GGPO! :p

Srsly, not trolling. KoF2k2 plays great on GGPO.

GGPO! :p

Srsly, not trolling. KoF2k2 plays great on GGPO.

Good to know that it's possible outside of the Neo Geo Station releases.

XIII is so strange. I had about 10 matches with a random person I had a 3 bar connection to and the game played as if he was sitting right next to me, but when I played my buddy that lives 10 miles away we had 4 bar connections and pretty crappy lag. I wonder if some router/port skillz would fix our problem. Too bad I don't understand that stuff...

Skilletor

Good to know that it's possible outside of the Neo Geo Station releases.

XIII is so strange. I had about 10 matches with a random person I had a 3 bar connection to and the game played as if he was sitting right next to me, but when I played my buddy that lives 10 miles away we had 4 bar connections and pretty crappy lag. I wonder if some router/port skillz would fix our problem. Too bad I don't understand that stuff...

I played a friend in the same state. We had a 3 bar connection, but one round had about 1 second of input lag, the other matches were barely playable. So inconsistent.

alstein

Is it possible that the gameplay of KOF in all iterations is the reason (or a large part of) why netplay has always been janky?

I don't think so. KOF on GGPO was superior to many Capcom games, and there are sufficient buffers. It's just shoddy netcode.

In 4-5 bar matches in Tekken 6 , I could punish lows on block just fine. SC4/T5- yeah, but the T6 netcode after the patch was improved.
3 bar and below you shouldn't be playing, it's like 2 bar in KOF. (hell, 3 bar KOF is worse then 3 bar Tekken)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
NEST Kyo Will be available Dec 20th, as it says in the DLC section on the Atlus XIII site. Going by that schedule, Mr. Karate will POSSIBLY be released Jan 3rd.

Fersis, they also mention on the site that the Saiki and Billy unlocks are first, but that other unlocks will be available "later".

NEST Kyo movelist looks so complex, lol. Not that it really IS, but still, just looking at the movelist on the Atlus site makes him look ridiculous. It's a shame how few of those moves I ever really see used in game... (-_-;)

Anywho, not much or an F.Iori user myself, but playing with him a bit is helping me tighten my Rekka timing even more, and he's actually just really fun to play here. I kinda like the fact he's a bit more punishable now, similiar to what happened with Leona, forces more variety into your offensive.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thanks for the SAB CA!

BTW some the of the conversations against EX Iori are priceless. ie: Joe calling him an Emo
And of course if you finish the arcade mode you get a kickass Iori picture

NESTS Kyo Combo vid (Esaka at Night)

GrayFoxPL

In 4-5 bar matches in Tekken 6 , I could punish lows on block just fine. SC4/T5- yeah, but the T6 netcode after the patch was improved.
3 bar and below you shouldn't be playing, it's like 2 bar in KOF. (hell, 3 bar KOF is worse then 3 bar Tekken)

Wrong. People can do insane shit even at 2 bars, 3 is the norm. It's just about adjusting properly.

speaking about the lag, it doesn't necessarily mean the netcode is crap, if the connection is shared in a household it could be sharing the same connection with their wireless devices, or someone else rinsing youtube/facebook at the same time.

If you leave an iphone connected to a router, even though it is not downloading anything it will still cause a bit of lag. My friend goes into router settings, turns off wireless devices and then turns them on again after finish playing.

Sharing fresh stuff straight from the lab, feel free to test further in case I've overlooked something or messed up execution-wise:

Against a cornered opponent, Clark gets a safe jump after landing an air grab right after b~f+A (just hold uf, the only thing you need to time is the button press). I tested that with jump C, as I expected I could block Kyo's EX DP but not his instant EX DM nor Shen's explosion DM.

Now if you buffer hcb+K, you get an option select since if they roll on your jump-in, they get grabbed (and thrown back in the corner), but since the motion includes downback and back, you still block the reversal attempts. 1-frame grabs seem to beat the setup if they are invincible though (Kyo's EX hcb+K). Also, you cannot block a blowback attack on the jump-in.

Might be worth testing with jump CD.

GrayFoxPL

I never played T6 post patch, so maybe it was better. Playing around launch was KoF12 levels of horrible.

Although I don't see a need to adjust to subpar playing conditions.

You didn't play a lot since patch was released quickly. And yes patch made huge improvements to online, probably one of the best netcode patches overall but saying it was kof12 levels before is a ridiculous hyperbole. There's no other fg with worse online then kof12, and that counting mkvsdc and mk deception on PS2. Maybe you mistook it with Tekken 5 DR which was a lagfest but even pre patch T6 had from 500-700ms less input lag then DR and it got way much smoother with a patch.
So please don't spread misinformation if you haven't even played the game properly.

Skilletor

You didn't play a lot since patch was released quickly. And yes patch made huge improvements to online, probably one of the best netcode patches overall but saying it was kof12 levels before is a ridiculous hyperbole. There's no other fg with worse online then kof12, and that counting mkvsdc and mk deception on PS2. Maybe you mistook it with Tekken 5 DR which was a lagfest but even pre patch T6 had from 500-700ms less input lag then DR and it got way much smoother with a patch.
So please don't spread misinformation if you haven't even played the game properly.

Nope. Was horrible --> Stopped playing online.

Didn't even know they released a patch, but I stand by my opinion which is irrelevant since it's apparently much better now. :p

GrayFoxPL

Nope. Was horrible --> Stopped playing online.

Didn't even know they released a patch, but I stand by my opinion which is irrelevant since it's apparently much better now. :p

They released a patch a month after premiere which is very quick since whole approval and testing process at Sony takes weeks.

Maybe before shouting left and right how bad something is you should try to update your experience from 3 years ago?

Skilletor

They released a patch a month after premiere which is very quick since whole approval and testing process at Sony takes weeks.

Maybe before shouting left and right how bad something is you should try to update your experience from 3 years ago?

I have people to play with offline. No need to go back.

I haven't heard anybody else say the online is THAT much better, either. I don't think one post about the online being horrible in reference to SC5 is "shouting left and right," haha.

Anyway, I'm sorry I offended you by saying T6's online sucks. I admitted I was wrong. Back on topic.

When he did sC->df+D->qcf+C there was neither an HD cancel message nor did the drive bar go down.

I don't see him do that in the vid w/o HD cancel. Timestamp?

Grokbu

When he did sC->df+D->qcf+C there was neither an HD cancel message nor did the drive bar go down.

I remember that in the arcade version, Andy couldn't cancel from his st.B, st.D target combo. But while he could do that in HD mode, it didn't deplete any of the drive bar and there was no HD cancel message.
I believe that in the console version this is the case with Joe's slide as well (apart from cancelling into his rapid.P move, which I believe always works).

EDIT:
I don't see him do that in the vid w/o HD cancel. Timestamp?

In the combo at about 28secs.

BadWolf

Pretty much all normals become cancellable while in HD mode, even if they weren't before. They still remain normals though, the gauge is only depleted by cancelling one special move into another, supercancels etc.

Skilletor

I remember that in the arcade version, Andy couldn't cancel from his st.B, st.D target combo. But while he could do that in HD mode, it didn't deplete any of the drive bar and there was no HD cancel message.
I believe that in the console version this is the case with Joe's slide as well (apart from cancelling into his rapid.P move, which I believe always works).

EDIT:

In the combo at about 28secs.

That's s.C > f+B, isn't it? d/f+d would be the 2-hit sweep.

Grokbu

That's s.C > f+B, isn't it? d/f+d would be the 2-hit sweep.

Hrm, nope. He is doing the 2 hit sweep.

To be more specific, he's doing: cr.B, cr.A, df.D(2 hits), B+C, cl.C, df.D(2 hits), *stuff*.

EDIT: Oh. Maybe I got you confused. I mean the combo that starts at about 28secs.

Skilletor

Hrm, nope. He is doing the 2 hit sweep.

To be more specific, he's doing: cr.B, cr.A, df.D(2 hits), B+C, cl.C, df.D(2 hits), *stuff*.

EDIT: Oh. Maybe I got you confused. I mean the combo that starts at about 28secs.

I see. I thought he was linking specials from the sweep.

The setup I mentioned above can work with jump CD but I'd save that for use against characters with slower reversals. Turns out you CAN block a blowback attack if you timed the jump C perfectly, too.

Kimosabae

Banned
This game has to be selling less than peanuts. I just checked Best Buy, Target and Walmart - none of them even carry the game.

Guess I gotta check the Stop' tomorrow.

Grokbu

The setup I mentioned above can work with jump CD but I'd save that for use against characters with slower reversals. Turns out you CAN block a blowback attack if you timed the jump C perfectly, too.
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Busaiku said:
Darn it, my inputs just aren't being registered quickly enough on my DS.
Is everyone else using a stick?
Stick here too.

Top Bottom