• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TheFightingFish said:
So for someone who's just started with fighting games late in his gamer life (SSFIV was my first) how would you describe how KOF plays to a noob like me? Most of the OP info seems (rightly) aimed at folks who already know KOF and are interested in the latest version. But I've never played a match in my life, so I'm not sure what I'd be getting into. The graphics have me interested though, I've put a bit of time into SFIII:OE and BB:CS just because I like the sprite art, so I'm trying to figure out of KOF would be a good fit for me.

KOF isnt a super easy game to learn. I come from mostly a Capcom background and the main thing is just remembering to keep the damn pressure on. You gotta learn how to be offensive with hops and just keep it going. If you back off an try to zone or whatever street fighter style, a lot of times you'll just end up getting fucked once they get the momentum again.

A lot of the combos arent super hard but are hard to hit confirm into. You have to learn safe strings that end in specials where you cant get punished because you usually only have like a few hits to see if something is connecting and convert it to big damage.

Thing I like about KOF tho is you can pretty much play anyone you want, probably more so in console.

GrayFoxPL

sleepykyo said:
It's been a while. I'll rewatch it at some point and see if I'm wrong, but I don't remember anything amazing outside of Terry using his dm to cover his escape.

You will... let me kill.... your little friend.

I watched it so many times, that at one time I had all dialogs memorized.

Oooh ohhh Aaaaangel!

Netcode? Told ya not to keep your hopes up.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
EMERGENCY EMERGENCY!

http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/16/king-of-fighters-xiii-will-be-using-gss-netcode/

If KOF XIII is using GameSyncSoftwares, we have something of grave importance that needs to be discussed.

So, SRK Quotes Siliconera, and Siliconera reports getting the informations from... nowhere? YAY! :( Athey mention it's not out yet.... so that leads me to think they don't have one of those early release copies themselves.

It's all just empty words, without a source.

However, even if it is true... it's still not that big a deal. Atlus speaks like there's been some serious work on it. SNKP helps give them the support to believe this. Atlus would have no reason to put it's credibility on the line, if there's no reason to believe what SNKP is working on / using has some quality to it.

NGBC's netcode is very solid, and 2k2UM's is only a slight bit worse then it (Really, it never fails nearly as much for me, as people say.). They're both worlds better than 98 UM, or Garou's.

We'll just have to see how it works, once we get out hands on it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So the whole" Damdai worked on KOFXIII" was just a troll? =/
Also did Siliconera play the game or something?

Grokbu

Fersis said:
So the whole" Damdai worked on KOFXIII" was just a troll? =/
Also did Siliconera play the game or something?
Doesn't necessarily mean that it's false. He could've helped them develop the XIII netcode.

SAB CA said:
NGBC's netcode is very solid, and 2k2UM's is only a slight bit worse then it (Really, it never fails nearly as much for me, as people say.). They're both worlds better than 98 UM, or Garou's.

No way in fucking hell is 2k2UM's only slightly worse =/

NGBC's was decent, 2k2UM's wasn't.

alstein

Is Siliconera known for bullshit? I suspect that this rumor is true.

If someone has the game early it will be in the credits, so it can be confirmed quickly.

The Damdai thing may or may not be confirmable.

Grokbu

Guys, there's no reason to be afraid. They might have simply used the XII netcode as a starting point.

I don't think these are news even. While I can't remember where it was stated, I and a couple of others remember SNKP/Atlus stating that they're building upon XII's netcode earlier.

EDIT: Of course, I can't tell you all how to feel. But I just want you to know that stuff can be worked upon.

It's all good, thankfully I have a healthy robust scene here with lots of KOF players so I don't need online play....wait....crap..

Grokbu said:
EDIT: Of course, I can't tell you all how to feel. But I just want you to know that stuff can be worked upon.

I'm still going to pick it up & will report on the netcode,PS3 version. Hopefully I won't be working that day.

Grokbu

Urban Scholar said:
Online notions are premature. I follow CEOJebailey on twitter & he got the game early for 360. He says commenting on netcode now is too early as it hasn't come out yet officially.
Oh, I hadn't seen that though. I hope the netcode gets better at release. I think I remember BlazBlue having so and so netplay until it got it's patch. And see how that turned out. :)

EDIT:
Urban Scholar said:
I'm still going to pick it up & will report on the netcode,PS3 version. Hopefully I won't be working that day.
Nice. I can't wait to start hearing impressions from release day.

If the netcode is good, there'll be tears of joy.
If it's bad... well. ;_;

I do have healthy robust scene but online play is still huge for me.
So i hope the net code at least to SSF4 level , they not give us any spec mode saying it all for online play.
If the net code is trash it would fucking annoy me to no end .

I like playing games with gaf .

alstein

IF this net code is trash, I doubt I'll ever play another 2d fighter after March 4th. I've been really fed up with the Capcom stuff this year, and I can't see myself sticking around if there aren't any good alternatives.

(If Skullgirls ends up taking KOF's role, I'll pull back this remark- I have doubts there also)

Skilletor

Grokbu said:
Guys, there's no reason to be afraid. They might have simply used the XII netcode as a starting point.

I don't think these are news even. While I can't remember where it was stated, I and a couple of others remember SNKP/Atlus stating that they're building upon XII's netcode earlier.

Pretty much every single SNK release is the reason to be afraid. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt in my mind.

Grokbu

Skilletor said:
Pretty much every single SNK release is the reason to be afraid. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt in my mind.
Hrm, yeah I guess you're right. It was stupid of me to say that you shouldn't be afraid.

I just wanted to point out that the netcode doesn't have to be bad just because they might be using GSS.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SolarKnight said:
NGBC's was decent, 2k2UM's wasn't.

I still play 2K2UM every few days. I have an easier time converting Offline Play to Online in 2k2UM than I do with MVC3. I can land my links and combos, and get my hops VS jumps with very little difficulty, whereas I miss and drop combos almost each time on MvCS (Haven't played UMVC online yet).

It easily depends on who you play, but I'm constantly matched aganist "mexico" players, while I'm in North Carolina, and have very little issue moving the way I want to, Or landing links like Lin's crouch B -> Crouch C.

I don't know WHAT it is about 2K2UM, it seems to vary much between connections, but for me, it's better than original SFIV (where I'd have to adjust link timing each time I played online, as they'd almost NEVER wanna work for me online. SSFIV's felt better for me.)

This isn't saying I want XIII to have 2K2UM's netcode, I'm just saying that I can see progress in SNKP's code overall, (2K2UM came out later, but seems to have been produced first?), and I can see serious changes since Garou or 98 (98 was the worse for me, hops barely worked, dropped or seriously delayed commands, and the worse was almost as bad as the SamSho II code, which was hugely bad, like SFII Hyper Fighting .)

I've had some HORRIFIC 2K2UM matches, don't get me wrong, but generally, they're nice. I've also seen (though rarely) matches desynch, mess up for a few seconds, and then re-synch in the same match. THOSE parts I think are pretty poor, yes, but one thing I like, is that it actually recovers. I used to have SFIV do that, and it'd never recover at all, which was pretty annoying.

Buy yeah, I hope XIII is better than all that :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hey, I rather like Masami Obari's art style! It's very strange in some ways, but it's distinct, and it's really nice to have something so "anime" that doesn't look 1oo% generic or copied.

A good fit for modern KoF, another thing that tries to push it's style and character variety into a bit more depth than most of it's competition..

I always thought Laucorn and his cronies looked more like they belonged in Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser... but since it's the same chara-designer, this makes sense :) Found it funny that Laucorn was voiced by the same guy who played Ryo of the Wildfire on Ronin Warriors (US dub)... such a departure of characters, it was pretty cool.

Every time I use Terry's Neomax, I'll think of him blowing up a rooftop with his "Power Geyser"! Which makes it doubly satisfying.

Gegz

Banned
Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
EMERGENCY EMERGENCY!

http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/16/king-of-fighters-xiii-will-be-using-gss-netcode/

If KOF XIII is using GameSyncSoftwares, we have something of grave importance that needs to be discussed.

In the comments, by CEO Jebailey :

I Have the game early and got a chance to play some games online and so far the results weren't very pleasing. It felt almost like playing underwater with 200 lb weights chained to my body :(. So don't get too excited that the online netcode will be improved at all.

Uh oh...

LowParry

You think they'll do a Day 1 patch of the netcode? If it starts out terrible, I'm sure we'll see a netcode patch in the near future if it is that bad.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just to Further the story on Netcode, LoL, forums confirms on Atlus boards that XIII uses GSS again, with this comment: http://www.atlus.com/forum/showpost.php?p=270249&postcount=49

Yes, they did work with GameSyncSoftware again; you see their logo right up front when booting the game. But as you said, just because the same company was involved, it does not in any way mean the netcode should be expected to be the same as XII.

Then we have some impressions from a french forum, these translated by Google:
http://neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewto...bc9877b17b402318bf8b2f05c2&start=3100#p613537

The game is really excellent, and the graphs provide new sets of the console version are good (the Paopao coffee), the animations are worked and everything is very fluid, the content and modes are in abundance, there is something do. The game goes I hope it's 1080p native. For the network I could not for the moment to meet many people, just two opponents with bars 1 and 2 networks (probably distant Rican bottom of a canyon) and there was lag. Strongly that I have tested with French 3 or 4 bars.

He says he met 2 people with 1 or 2 bars to play aganist, they were probaly from america, at the bottom of some canyon (lol), and there was lag.

So we know bad connections have lag... *shrug* so lets see how this all works out in the end...

Galdelico

Neo Arcadia forums said:
new sets of the console version are good (the Paopao coffee)
drinking_coffee.png

Atolm

I'm glad the game comes a few days later in Europe. That way I can read people impressions about the netcode and cancel the pre-order if needed.

alstein

The Atlus folks are saying "yes, same people worked on it, but it's completely different."

They may actually be right, but I need proof. I'm not going to believe just because they said so.

Tizoc

I personally think we should all judge the online when we play it.
Does the online show which country the player is from?

Gonna go lurk the shops again today to see if anyone's getting a copy.

Grokbu

Fersis said:
Bad netcode... TOLD YA!!
Even the person who had a bad experience said it was too early to tell...

Seriously. If people say "the netcode sucks!" already, a lot of people are gonna take it as a fact. At least wait a bit before typing such stuff.

EDIT:
Fersis said:
Frankly my dear ... nope.
The future of KOF might hang on the netcode...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Grokbu said:
Even the person who had a bad experience said it was too early to tell...

Seriously. If people say "the netcode sucks!" already, a lot of people are gonna take it as a fact. At least wait a bit before typing such stuff.
You guys are too sensitive. Sorry.

Tizoc

Anyone got a link to where Latif talks about how playing online can be helpful to a community or improving one's skills?

Grokbu

Fersis said:
You guys are too sensitive. Sorry.
Well, no need to apologize. I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude. :< It wasn't my intention.

I just meant that we should wait a bit before commentating on how good the netcode is.

Fersis

Shadow780 said:
Hahahahah
But yeah no more jokes about the netcode from me.

I understand how important the netcode is, hell i dont have anyone to play with so i need good netcode.

Grokbu said:
Well, no need to apologize. I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude. :< It wasn't my intention.

I just meant that we should wait a bit before commentating on how good the netcode is.
I know i was just joking

Top Bottom