• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

At least you guys got Mai, right? LOLOL

Fersis said:
Hahahahah
But yeah no more jokes about the netcode from me.

I understand how important the netcode is, hell i dont have anyone to play with so i need good netcode.

Why, oh WHY won't Japanese developers pool resources and license development tools to one another?

Arc System Works should be rolling in the dough for licensing their silky smooth online experience to every fighting game developer.

Grokbu

The Take Out Bandit said:
Why, oh WHY won't Japanese developers pool resources and license development tools to one another?

Arc System Works should be rolling in the dough for licensing their silky smooth online experience to every fighting game developer.
This is beyond me as well. -.-

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fersis said:
Frankly my dear ... nope.

LOL. Enjoy this bombing and no more KoF for you, then. SNK/Suckmore's livelyhood hangs in the balance of them having decent netcode since times have changed. Having a local scene in Spanish-speaking countries isn't going to do enough since Atlus is releasing this in the US for one.

Tizoc said:
I personally think we should all judge the online when we play it.
Does the online show which country the player is from?

Gonna go lurk the shops again today to see if anyone's getting a copy.
I going to assume no considering that the person, didn't make a mention of it and the canyon comparison was an assumption.

CEO did mention that you can search by signal strength (i.e. only 4 bar connections).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks said:
LOL. Enjoy this bombing and no more KoF for you, then. SNK/Suckmore's livelyhood hangs in the balance of them having decent netcode since times have changed. Having a local scene in Spanish-speaking countries isn't going to do enough since Atlus is releasing this in the US for one.
T__T

Dat hyperbole

Terareflection said:
I going to assume no considering that the person, didn't make a mention of it and the canyon comparison was an assumption.

CEO did mention that you can search by signal strength.
Did Jebailey said the signal strength of his opponent?

BadWolf

I wouldn't worry just based on the fact that the same ppl are working on it.

Given more time/resources/money ppl can easily come up with vastly superior products.

All I know is that this is the first time SNK has hyped up online play this much for any of their games, this gives me hope.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Terareflection said:
Better to just ignore him. Only really trolls these threads anyways.

No, he did not.
I mean he could playing against someone with a one bar connection.

Got a new internet connection just for KOFXIII so im confident that i will be able to play with some Latinos.

I really think that we should wait until more than like 10 people in the world actually have the game to start freaking out about the netcode.

Grokbu

Wooo!

Ky0, a member from Dream Cancel just posted this:
Ky0 @ Dream Cancel said:
(My copy is here)
Ok guys thats it:
Its very simple, THE BEST 2D FIGHTING GAME of universe is called KOF XIII ! simple like that!
OMFG, is so wonderful, so magic, so... no, its too much! haha!! lol

And I have done one match vs an UK player (I'm in France), well what can I say is:
NO WORRIES, ONLINE ITS OOOOOKKKKKKK!!!!! (similar to SF4, but keep in mind I've only done 1 match (nobody ATM online))!

And color edit, and arcade mode, and... fuuuuuu too many modes... lol

BEST KOF EVER!

c u soon guys!
This makes me happy. :)

alstein

Yeah, I've been doom and gloom, but I'm not going to say it's failed until it's actually failed.

I'm not buying that Ky0 guy either though, some folks don't know lag if it hits them in the face, especially if they're not experienced players. I'm sure he believes it and is trying to be helpful, but I'd want more evidence.

SF4 quality is what I'd expect at least though. That should be enough to play/learn the game.

We'll know in a week.

alstein

R_thanatos said:
Me too . KOF 12 proved that online can break a fighting game these days if it's awefull

It didn't break Marvel or Soul Calibur.

Online is important for tournies though- your local scene won't play everybody, and the last thing you want happening to you at a major is for some scrub to expose your lack of knowledge with a goofy-ass team you've never seem any of them used before.

KOF has always allowed for running of gimmicks, so it's more important here then other games.

R_thanatos said:
Me too . KOF 12 proved that online can break a fighting game these days if it's awefull

This is not news.

No online play is why Western consumers stopped giving a damn about fighting games last generation. Yes I realize that Xbox had some online fighters, but online fighters need to be on the market leading console for anybody to notice.

Online play is an absolute requirement for this entire genre to be relevant outside of Japan. Truth.

SC4's online wasn't bad for the time. There really wasn't anything good like BB or AH3 to compare it to yet.

edit: wait, I recall it being way worse than VF5's netcode. Disregard.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This news about the netcode is again making me incredibly hesitant to purchase this game at launch.

Will still keep my pre-orders, but one copy is staying shrinkwrapped in case the game sucks online.

If the online is borked, I think may be finished buying SNK games. And that's big for me since I used to be all about SNK and the Neo-Geo. Went nuts for new cart releases, went nuts over the ports that followed on PS2 after the Neo was retired. But things are different now with online play.

alstein said:

Marvel and Soul Calibur's online play is nowhere near as bad as the mess that was KOF XII. NGBC and KOF 2002 UM are better online in comparison, yes, but XII's shittyness remains burned into my brain.

Lyte Edge said:
This news about the netcode is again making me incredibly hesitant to purchase this game at launch.

Will still keep my pre-orders, but one copy is staying shrinkwrapped in case the game sucks online.

If the online is borked, I think may be finished by SNK games. And that's big for me since I used to be all about SNK and the Neo-Geo.
I remember my pre-member days lurking on gaf and reading your SNK PS2 import impressions. I agree that would be pretty huge.

LowParry

_dementia said:
SC4's online wasn't bad for the time. There really wasn't anything good like BB or AH3 to compare it to yet.

edit: wait, I recall it being way worse than VF5's netcode. Disregard.

I was about to say, SC4 is pretty terrible online. Hopefully 5 turns out a lot better this time.

Shadow780

Lyte is a MI fan. That invalidates any good he may have done. :|

How you gonna hate MI with a babe like this:

5x7Vhl.jpg

Lyte Edge

_dementia said:
I remember my pre-member days lurking on gaf and reading your SNK PS2 import impressions. I agree that would be pretty huge.

After SNK switched to the Atomiswave and started releasing more titles, I felt like they had come "back" in full-force. I loved NGBC, SS Tenka, KOF XI, Maximum Impact 2, Regulation A, and KOF '98 UM. Got to play all of these games in arcades too (minus MI2 of course!) since I was in Japan during those years.

Then came Samurai Spirits Sen. What a piece of shit that was. I couldn't believe how badly K2 fucked up this series with this release. '98 UM hit PS2 later and was an excellent port. It was announced for XBLA and I was super-excited, figuring that it and XII would make up for Sen.

Then '98 UM is released for XBLA and has shit netcode. XII is released and flops in arcades. It comes out at home with two extra characters, and feels like an unfinished beta. I still would have played it despite its flaws, but the online was awful. So awful that this was the first KOF I have ever sold off because I simply didn't want to play it, and I've been buying home versions since '95.

SNK again does a good job with KOF 2002 UM on PS2. NGBC has some nice visual enhancements and decent online play on XBLA. KOF 2002 UM also is decent online. Unfortunately, both games "died" too quickly and became wastelands online.

So yeah, for me it hasn't been fun playing SNK fighters these past few years. Online has to be good; it's a requirement at this point, and XIII *must* be good online. I don't see how they can take another bomb.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Really hyped for this and its delicious 2D graphics! Only complaint is I really wish May Lee was in it.

zlatko

Banned
It's such a shame they had to push this back to the release coming up. I move this Saturday and will be out of net and funds probably till early January. If the game holds up, then I'll pick it up then. For now I'll be rocking UMvC3 and Skyrim.

Lyte Edge

You guys are forgetting about Nagase, the female version of Falcoon himself! YUUUUUCK.

Lyte is a MI fan. That invalidates any good he may have done. :|

LOL. I liked MI at the time (but always said that 2D KOF was better and that most fans would not like it) and quickly realized the error of my ways. MI2 was a big improvement and Regulation A was pretty good. I was disappointed it never saw a 360 release, but I guess the online would have sucked anyway. :p

And LOLx2, my old MI2 screengrabs are still there.

parry22oh.jpg
metalslug11av.jpg

characterselect3xf.jpg
armorralflillykane8pm.jpg

wildwolfbjenet7ik.jpg
bjenethanzo9fd.jpg

lienmaxima9pg.jpg
maib4nc.jpg

billyrichard2cr.jpg
nagaseluise0hg.jpg

albasoiree9pb.jpg
neogeo3zt.jpg

athenarock5do.jpg
geeseterry6ey.jpg

hyenaduke2uj.jpg
kimchae8am.jpg

luisealt0ui.jpg
12fb2.jpg

ninon3yz.jpg
yurimrkarate4et.jpg

Anyone going to start a online meet up thread? I think it will be a good idea. The OP(Of that thread) could be updated to put people in what region they're in to make match making easier. If no one wants to do it, I'm down.

BadWolf

Shadow780 said:
Are they still legally allowed to use those characters? K9999, etc.

Pretty sure they are, save for K9999 that is. The Akira guys weren't too happy so he became nameless in 2k2UM.

Sucks b/c I really liked the character, full of personality.

Skilletor

ShinobiFist said:
Anyone going to start a online meet up thread? I think it will be a good idea. The OP(Of that thread) could be updated to put people in what region they're in to make match making easier. If no one wants to do it, I'm down.

I doubt we'll need a separate thread for that. Why dilute conversation with two threads? It's not exactly a hot topic on gaf.

MrBeggar

Played 3-4 hrs last nite with a friend who usually has a shit internet connection.
No drops, no lag.. all in all was pretty good until he got dropped and then
I was unable to create another room after that for some unknown reason so we called it a nite.
Its so worth the 50 bucks. Just wished the CD package was abit better lol.

MrBeggar said:
Played 3-4 hrs last nite with a friend who usually has a shit internet connection.
I was unable to create another room after that for some unknown reason so we called it a nite.

HOPE=HYPE!

Was it giving you a particular error when you tried to create a lobby? Any attempt to back out and re-enter the online mode, or reboot the system?

alstein said:
Marvel netcode wasn't 100% bad
Same for soul calibur 4

Soul died because the balance of the game was void ( No risk for abusing force attacks ? really ? )

alstein

MrBeggar said:

How far are you from your friend?

vulva

SAB CA said:
Just to Further the story on Netcode, LoL, forums confirms on Atlus boards that XIII uses GSS again, with this comment: http://www.atlus.com/forum/showpost.php?p=270249&postcount=49

Then we have some impressions from a french forum, these translated by Google:
http://neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewto...bc9877b17b402318bf8b2f05c2&start=3100#p613537

He says he met 2 people with 1 or 2 bars to play aganist, they were probaly from america, at the bottom of some canyon (lol), and there was lag.

So we know bad connections have lag... *shrug* so lets see how this all works out in the end...
Since google translate can be a bit wonky, to clarify he said at the last part that soon he will be playing french connections and able to test better.

BadWolf

MrBeggar said:

Yay, more positive impressions.

Thanks.

Top Bottom