• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Grokbu

MrBeggar said:
Played 3-4 hrs last nite with a friend who usually has a shit internet connection.
No drops, no lag.. all in all was pretty good until he got dropped and then
I was unable to create another room after that for some unknown reason so we called it a nite.
Its so worth the 50 bucks. Just wished the CD package was abit better lol.
Sweet! Thanks for the impressions.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
MrBeggar said:
Played 3-4 hrs last nite with a friend who usually has a shit internet connection.
I was unable to create another room after that for some unknown reason so we called it a nite.
Wow wow wow
Your friend is in the same city/country?

R_thanatos said:
Marvel netcode wasn't 100% bad
Same for soul calibur 4

Soul died because the balance of the game was void ( No risk for abusing force attacks ? really ? )

Marvel netcode was unplayable for me most of the time.

MrBeggar said:

Awesome stuff give us more details .

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SolarKnight said:
So we‘ve gone from hope (Damdai rumor), to complete despair, and then back to hope in only about 24 hours?
Welcome to the interwebz
Population: Hyperbole

alstein

SolarKnight said:
So we‘ve gone from hope (Damdai rumor), to complete despair, and then back to hope in only about 24 hours?

More like hope to despair to cautious optimism.

I'm expecting to get what I was expecting, and no more.

Skilletor

SolarKnight said:

I'm not going from anything but cynical until I play the game myself.

Laucorn approves of this new turn of events!

Laocorn-armor.jpg

SAB CA said:
I still play 2K2UM every few days. I have an easier time converting Offline Play to Online in 2k2UM than I do with MVC3. I can land my links and combos, and get my hops VS jumps with very little difficulty, whereas I miss and drop combos almost each time on MvCS (Haven't played UMVC online yet).

It easily depends on who you play, but I'm constantly matched aganist "mexico" players, while I'm in North Carolina, and have very little issue moving the way I want to, Or landing links like Lin's crouch B -> Crouch C.

I don't know WHAT it is about 2K2UM, it seems to vary much between connections, but for me, it's better than original SFIV (where I'd have to adjust link timing each time I played online, as they'd almost NEVER wanna work for me online. SSFIV's felt better for me.)

2k2UM has the worst kind of lag, even though it's still playable (at least with a friend in the same town) which is host advantage. Do you still play though? We should add each other as I rarely find anyone on/willing to play these days! I'm a few states south but I don't mind lag that much in 2k2, it's that damn fun regardless.

As long as XIII doesn't have host advantage and is relatively decent I'll be okay with it.

I don't know why but the only game I can give credit for providing me with a good online connection is SSFIV and MvC2. I think SSFIV was good in every way, connection, lobbies etc. MvC2 suffers from disconnections/lobby glitching/freezing but I sometimes have the most flawless experience online. I haven't played UMVC3 yet though so can't speak for that.

yo_soy_el_topo said:
2k2UM has the worst kind of lag, even though it's still playable (at least with a friend in the same town) which is host advantage. Do you still play though? We should add each other as I rarely find anyone on/willing to play these days! I'm a few states south but I don't mind lag that much in 2k2, it's that damn fun regardless.

As long as XIII doesn't have host advantage and is relatively decent I'll be okay with it.

I don't know why but the only game I can give credit for providing me with a good online connection is SSFIV and MvC2. I think SSFIV was good in every way, connection, lobbies etc. MvC2 suffers from disconnections/lobby glitching/freezing but I sometimes have the most flawless experience online. I haven't played UMVC3 yet though so can't speak for that.

Seem you have not play BB .
BB has set the standard for 2d fighting game net code for console.
I also here AH 3 has very good net code also but that also by ASW.

Fersis

I like how MrBeggar is not posting more info >___<

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
yo_soy_el_topo said:

Yup, still play if I manage the time, but that's been taken up by Skyrim and UMVC3, and soon by XIII...

I've REALLY tried to find the Host advantage in that game (and in NGBC), but honestly, I've never felt it. I feel a shift in between matches VS the same person, but I've Hosted / Joined rooms from the same people just in case there IS host advantage, and I've never seen or felt it actually happen.

Maybe some people's lag is made worse by laggy HDTV's or something? I've been gaming on an SD screen for 99% of this console generation, so I haven't had even a bit of screen lag added to my gameplay. The panasonic LCD HDTV I just got about 4 days ago seems to be VERY close to the CRT I had in terms of input lag (hasn't effected my execution, links, or percise combo timing in the least), and I've enjoyed MVC3, UMVC3, NGBC, and 2K2UM on it, online and offline, with no additional issues...

Fersis said:
I like how MrBeggar is not posting more info >___<

C'mon, if you had the game now, would we be hearing ANYTHING from you for the next 2 days? ;) It would be nice to hear more, and I'm suprised no story spoilers or such seem to be popping up on the net yet...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Some impressions from Atlus Forums k' 127 on their Forums (who lives in Dubai):

Just took a spin around the different modes in the game. Here is my impression of the game so far:

- Story Mode was rather very short. It left me wishing there was more, but different scenarios lead to different cutscenes, so you may want to play it few times to view all of them.

- I can confirm there are no additional characters or mid-bosses in the game.

- In Story mode, you can't edit teams. Also, instead of having pre-fight convo between single characters before each round (like in Arcade mode), the entire crew of both teams are involved in a group convo before the match.

- In Story mode, you only get to fight 2 teams, and the final 2 bosses. That's it.

- With that said, the story is detailed and well-presented. For the first time, I started to like Ash lol.

- Billy is drawn very well. His animations are smooth. He appears as a mid boss in Arcade mode (with a "Here comes a new challenger" message) and he becomes playable when you beat him.

- The Trials are so freaking tough.

- There are so many things to unlock in gallery and color-edit modes. Some of the arts are entirely new.

- With the game installed, the loading seemed slightly faster than the arcade version, but I gotta do an exact measurement to confirm that.

- I have a terrible internet connection (thanks to the infamous ISP in my country). I can't comment on the netcode.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
Ugh, why do fighting game developers force you to play SP bullshit to unlock characters for MP?

Because they want their whole project appreciated, and for you to not drop a game before giving it a real chance. It's no more annoying than needing to channelsurf to configure a TV, or setting the clocks when you get a new electrical appliance, really... unless it's like Blazblue, which requires you to beat frickin' everything to unlock Mu. That's very annoying, and takes it much too far.

They could be auto-unlocked online anyway, I don't think anyone's mentioned that. They did offer that option in 2k2UM and 98UM, when making player matches...

I still find reasonable unlocks to be very fun, personally. The unlocking of stuff in Soul Calibur 3 and KoF MI2 was quite enjoyable to me, and I kinda liked having SOME of it held back, as it made me explore things in greater detail. I really got into some of the mini-games of SC3 (Fighting the olympian statue in between TV commericial breaks was fun, haha), and Each little bit MI2 revealed was more and more fun (had a great time unlocking costume colors, and getting new mini-modes / stages / "Rigging Models" unlocked along the way. )

I also actually liked needing to play though as the "normal" characters in old Tekken games, as well, to unlock the "clones", when the clones were actually really different. Made me appreciate the changes that much more.

_dementia said:
Ugh, why do fighting game developers force you to play SP bullshit to unlock characters for MP?
So you buy the DLC unlock if you care that much about it?

Personally, I don‘t mind it much if it‘s just those two, although I do hope there‘s a way to unlock boss Saiki and Dark Ash just for fun.

Am I the only one that really doesn't care about Online Play? I mean, I know it's important and all. But I really don't care. A great (offline) game is good enough for me.

I like MI2 as well. Lame ass Falcoon characters aside (damn you for ruining B Jenet!). Loved unlocking everything. Too bad in these days of DLC, there's NO WAY you could have a game with the content of MI2 without paid DLC.

Oh and Lien. Blech! She was just a ripoff of an obscure SS character

Wy5np.jpg

Tizoc

Choppasmith said:
Am I the only one that really doesn't care about Online Play? I mean, I know it's important and all. But I really don't care. A great (offline) game is good enough for me.
...but it may not be good for everyone or to help this game have a strong following for the next coming months.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
alstein said:
MrBeggar said:

How far are you from your friend?

Yes, this is crucial...when KOF XII first came out, I played someone who I found out lived in the same city as I do, and the connection was perfect. We played for hours just because it was lag-free and buttery-smooth.

And that never happened again with anyone else I played.

Choppasmith said:

For fighting games? Hell yes I care. It makes or breaks home releases for me. If I had a large amount of local people to play it, things might be different, but as it stands 99% of my time spent playing other people in fighting games is online.

And as Tizoc mentioned, shitty netcode is only going to affect the potential community for this game negatively.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SolarKnight said:
So you buy the DLC unlock if you care that much about it?

Personally, I don‘t mind it much if it‘s just those two, although I do hope there‘s a way to unlock boss Saiki and Dark Ash just for fun.

Atlus forums confirmed Dark Ash isn't playable. Would doubt Boss Saiki too, since he's missing a lot of basic animations (he doesn't even have a crouch / duck..).

Choppasmith said:

Mainly, this is how I am. My purchases are based on the game, not on the online experience. Longevity is determined by online, sure, and a solid online adds much in the end, but I'd get XIII even if it had no online play, because the game is THAT fun.

I like MI2 as well. Lame ass Falcoon characters aside (damn you for ruining B Jenet!). Loved unlocking everything. Too bad in these days of DLC, there's NO WAY you could have a game with the content of MI2 without paid DLC.

At least XIII is trying in that respect! (Except it's all unlocked already, save for colors, a few characters, and art?) I'm glad we don't have to unlock all the console-specific stages and palette swaps, though...

Oh and Lien. Blech! She was just a ripoff of an obscure SS character

Wy5np.jpg

Mary's my blonde KoF woman of choice. I kinda liked some of Lien's moves (especially in MI2), she's a lot like an SNKP take on the Crimson Viper concept (as far as using Tech to fight. Sattelite lasers!)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
SAB CA said:
Mary's my blonde KoF woman of choice. I kinda liked some of Lien's moves (especially in MI2), she's a lot like an SNKP take on the Crimson Viper concept (as far as using Tech to fight. Sattelite lasers!)

Don't you mean Viper is Capcom's take on Lien? ;)

Skilletor

SAB CA said:
Because they want their whole project appreciated, and for you to not drop a game before giving it a real chance. It's no more annoying than needing to channelsurf to configure a TV, or setting the clocks when you get a new electrical appliance, really... unless it's like Blazblue, which requires you to beat frickin' everything to unlock Mu. That's very annoying, and takes it much too far.

They could be auto-unlocked online anyway, I don't think anyone's mentioned that. They did offer that option in 2k2UM and 98UM, when making player matches....

This is the worst analogy I've ever heard.

It's a shitty practice. I wouldn't buy the game if a character I wanted to play needed to be unlocked. I don't buy fighting games to fight the computer.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lyte Edge said:
Don't you mean Viper is Capcom's take on Lien? ;)

LoL, that's why I added "concept"! :) Viper really is a hodge-podge of things SNKP did first, lol. Guess I'll have to make Viper Colors for Vice on XIII...

Skilletor said:

It's a shitty practice. I wouldn't buy the game if a character I wanted to play needed to be unlocked. I don't buy fighting games to fight the computer.

That's an exaggeration, lol. But whatever. I am still, to this day, suprised at how many people complain about easy unlocks. It's a minor, non-issue to me, and is just part of experience.

You have to jump through a small hoop or 2 to get what you purchased working right, because the manufacturer wants to make sure you actually use the thing properly, rather than just jump to whatever, and ignore everything.

Complaining about easy unlocks just seems so short-sighted and insignificant, in the grand scheme of things. If you play a game for 10s of hours, taking maybe 1 hour to get a few features, and test out the game as a whole, is nothing. It's forgotten once all is said and done.

People always seem to forget that many individuals spent time making these games we enjoy, and they all deserve to be appreciated. If an unlock exist, to "force" the more demanding players to spend a few moments looking at he various modes and features a dev put into a game, then so be it. It seems much more like "incentive" to me, than "hindrance", but to each their own...

Skilletor said:

It's not what I'd prefer, but thank god it's nothing like vanilla SFIV.

SAB CA said:
I don't care how hard or easy it is. It's the principle of it.

Ideally I should never have to face an AI oppenent in a fighting game if I want to enjoy the full cast in MP. SSFIV, the XBLA re-release of MvC2, and UMvC are welcome examples of this.

_dementia said:

Ideally I should never have to face an AI oppenent in a fighting game if I want to enjoy the full cast in MP. SSFIV, the XBLA re-release of MvC2, and UMvC are welcome examples of this.

All re-releases after the original versions made u unlock them (mvc2 with a points system, MVC3 for Hsienko/Akuma/Taskmaster/Sentinel, and SF4 with all the Alpha/Super Turbo characters.

alstein

_dementia said:

I agree entirely. I think SCV is abandoning the unlock approach, for competitive content at least, and I welcome that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:

On principal, I think it's perfectly fine for a dev to give you a reason / "force" you to see / sample all the stuff their staff worked on. I appreciate beating SF with every character back in the day, as I got to learn people I never would have looked at in the competative world of multiplayer (especially when you had to pay per play in arcade).

That said, I do think alternative unlocks (such as getting things by playing the MP, or cheap unlock DLC) is a nice compromise.

I feel more for tourneys, in this case, than for individuals.

I do hope to never become the kind of gamer who can't enjoy single player for a few min, to get some unlocks. Such things added a lot to the fun of a game for me traditionally, and I always hope to be able to get that level of excitement from new games. Getting too jaded would really make the whole experience of gaming much less enjoyable...

Your motivation to play the single player should be that it's a good, full mode that warrants your play. No unlocks, yes story cutscenes.

Skilletor

SAB CA said:
On principal, I think it's perfectly fine for a dev to give you a reason / "force" you to see / sample all the stuff their staff worked on. I appreciate beating SF with every character back in the day, as I got to learn people I never would have looked at in the competative world of multiplayer (especially when you had to pay per play in arcade).
That said, I do think alternative unlocks (such as getting things by playing the MP, or cheap unlock DLC) is a nice compromise.

I feel more for tourneys, in this case, than for individuals.

I do hope to never become the kind of gamer who can't enjoy single player for a few min, to get some unlocks. Such things added a lot to the fun of a game for me traditionally, and I always hope to be able to get that level of excitement from new games. Getting too jaded would really make the whole experience of gaming much less enjoyable...

Mission mode will get me to do this.

For me, there is nothing fun about playing an AI character in a fighting game. If I'm playing a fightin game, I am in training or vs. mode. It has nothing at all to do with being jaded. I play these games to fight vs. people.

kunonabi

I'd rather unlock characters in game than pay out the nose for DLC. Unlocks have been around and can be fun when done right. I remember spending a night unlocking everything in CVS1. Two guys earning points on the NGPC, two guys playing CVS, and one guy resting. We had everything in rotation and got everything. Honestly, the only time I've ever considered it a problem was MVC2 since so much of the cast had to be earned.

Skilletor

kunonabi said:
I'd rather unlock characters in game than pay out the nose for DLC. Unlocks have been around and can be fun when done right. I remember spending a night unlocking everything in CVS1. Two guys earning points on the NGPC, two guys playing CVS, and one guy resting. We had everything in rotation and got everything. Honestly, the only time I've ever considered it a problem was MVC2 since so much of the cast had to be earned.

I don't see what these things have to do with the other. The characters one is unlocking aren't DLC.

TreIII

SAB CA said:

Wanting everybody to see your game's content is fine, but not at the cost of what should be "out of the box" fun. If they really want to throw a bone for the casual and "Trophy/Achievement" seeker crowd, there should be plenty in the way of content that can appeal for them, like avatars, stages, unlocking more colors in Edit Mode, etc. But characters, which are the focal point of a fighting game? Those should NEVER be sectioned off.

...See, part of the problem is the whole "locked save" garbage this generation fostered. Back in the PS2 era, we didn't have to put up with this garbage, because one single memory card was enough to load up everything on multiple consoles.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Slamtastic said:
Your motivation to play the single player should be that it's a good, full mode that warrants your play. No unlocks, yes story cutscenes.

It could be both. I enjoy the story and cutscenes, but I also appreciate a "gameplay" related reward for it, as well.

Skilletor said:
Mission mode will get me to do this.

For me, there is nothing fun about playing an AI character in a fighting game. If I'm playing a fightin game, I am in training or vs. mode. It has nothing at all to do with being jaded. I play these games to fight vs. people.

It's just part of the game, though. VS is a big part, but as a product, the CPU-based portions are important to the product, as well (especially when they spend so much time adding cutscenes and a novel's worth of text, and the like).

I always felt like single player in a fighter was kinda like boss rush in a platformer. Learn the patterns, learn how to take advantage of the CPU, and progress.

I have some good memories of "SNK Boss Syndrome" fights, as well, lol. Saving in front of Rugal, and beating him with different teams to see various endings, was fun back on the Saturn... (Was very odd to be able to save in front of the last boss in a fighitng game...)

TreIII said:
Wanting everybody to see your game's content is fine, but not at the cost of what should be "out of the box" fun. If they really want to throw a bone for the casual and "Trophy/Achievement" seeker crowd, there should be plenty in the way of content that can appeal for them, like avatars, stages, unlocking more colors in Edit Mode, etc. But characters, which are the focal point of a fighting game? Those should NEVER be sectioned off.

Just as a consumer, I can't agree. I see your point, especially from the tourney angle, but unlockable characters are like the premium reward in fighters. I prefer the majority of unlocks to be things like colors, avatars, etc, however, and for character unlocks to be limited. Wouldn't want to go through unlocking half the cast like in Tekken 1 or 2 again, that's a bit much.

I would prefer if unlockable were TRUE suprises, though. How cool would be be to unlock Adelheid in XIII, after seeing Ash's ending, or something of the sort? Locking already-revealed stuff is pretty meh, but having a true reveal as a reward makes much more sense.

...See, part of the problem is the whole "locked save" garbage this generation fostered. Back in the PS2 era, we didn't have to put up with this garbage, because one single memory card was enough to load up everything on multiple consoles.

Totally agreed here, though. The use of save files has become a bit too restrictive. I see why it's done, with DLC and stuff now, but that kind of stuff needs to develop further.

At least on 360, though, if my profile is on the system, I have access to all my content. I've done that to bring my entire XBLA collection rights to a friends Xbox, and we just redownloaded whatever he wanted to play onto the system as we played other stuff... if everything worked that easily, it'd be great.

Skilletor

SAB CA said:
I always felt like single player in a fighter was kinda like boss rush in a platformer. Learn the patterns, learn how to take advantage of the CPU, and progress.

I have some good memories of "SNK Boss Syndrome" fights, as well, lol. Saving in front of Rugal, and beating him with different teams to see various endings, was fun back on the Saturn... (Was very odd to be able to save in front of the last boss in a fighitng game...)

I can appreciate that. I find it boring. My problem is characters as unlocks. Unlock colors, stages, music, whatever else. I don't think characters should be held hostage for the sake of single player modes.

mollipen

SAB CA said:
On principal, I think it's perfectly fine for a dev to give you a reason / "force" you to see / sample all the stuff their staff worked on.

No. A thousand times no. If I've paid you money, then don't sit there thinking you can dictate how I have to play your game (in those terms). If I never want to touch single player, that's my right. I totally gave up on Soul Calibur IV because of its ridiculous requirements of playing hours and hours of single player in order to unlock custom character pieces. I gave up on the original Street Fighter IV because half of the roster was locked away from the start.

If I want to just jump right into multiplayer and have the full experience, then let me. If you say I have to see the entire game first, then screw you—you're not getting my money.

Fersis

SKill said that the japanese players like to unlock characters. (He was talking about MvC3 unlockable characters)

Top Bottom