• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

BadWolf

So the other played has to stop pressing buttons when she has it?

Its probably more like 1 or 2 frames but yeah, with full meter she becomes a huge threat since she can do it both on the ground and in the air.

It will go through pretty much anything without invincibility (like it will go through Athena's normal shield but will get beat by the EX one).

Seik

Banned
Just tried the demo, very interesting fighting game. Last time I played was on Dreamcast. Guess its time to go back in KoFXIII for Christmas! :D

Are all the characters well balanced or is there a few broken/abused online guys?

Shadow780

Are all the characters well balanced or is there a few broken/abused online guys?

The King Of Fighters XIII |OT| Pure Honest Fighting

All bets are off online though with shitty netcode.

Better just practice offline for the time being and hope the netcode patch is good.

Cheska

Alright guys, after two hours of this tutorial, I'm going nuts and my wrist is killing me. I cannot for the life of me pull off a max drive cancel. When exactly do you input the second action? I can pull off both moves smoothly but as soon as I try to put them both together I fail,miserably :( I've been looking up YouTube videos and trying to find info online, but I'm not exactly getting any helpful info. This is for Kyo's super special->neo max super that's in the tutorial.

Edit: Nevermind, I FINALLY got it. Damn,it feels good when you figure something out and achieve what you've been working at for so long lol.

Alright guys, after two hours of this tutorial, I'm going nuts and my wrist is killing me. I cannot for the life of me pull off a max drive cancel. When exactly do you input the second action? I can pull off both moves smoothly but as soon as I try to put them both together I fail,miserably :( I've been looking up YouTube videos and trying to find info online, but I'm not exactly getting any helpful info. This is for Kyo's super special->neo max super that's in the tutorial.

Edit: Nevermind, I FINALLY got it. Damn,it feels good when you figure something out and achieve what you've been working at for so long lol.

if you don't care about maximizing damage, for most characters you can just mash out the neo max while the super is going and it'll come out.

Like with leona when she's doing her super, I'll just swing the stick from left, half circle to right, and back again over and over while mashing A+D and i NEVER miss the neomax.

N4Us

During Leona's I wait to input the Neomax at the fifth slash, which I then input really quickly. Takes a while to get used to but I can pull off that Max Cancel now like it's second nature.

I downloaded the demo from Xbox Live last night and tried it out for 5 minutes quickly. Man I felt so out of place. I haven't touched a KOF since the early 2000's and when I tried to do certain things my SF instincts kicked in. But as I quickly found out, that stuff doesn't work. This may sound silly but I feel kind of scared about taking the time to learn this game. The SF series is where I feel so comfortable and anytime I drift away from that(even when trying other Capcom fighters), I just feel so lost that I want to give up immediately and go back where I feel at home.

But rest assure I will give the game more time and probably even buy it. Even if I never fully get into the game, I still want to support it by buying a copy.

K.Sabot

I can tell you now, learning this game has improved my SF4 game.

Execution barriers w/ no comeback mechanic is what pure honest fighting is about baby!

I downloaded the demo from Xbox Live last night and tried it out for 5 minutes quickly. Man I felt so out of place. I haven't touched a KOF since the early 2000's and when I tried to do certain things my SF instincts kicked in. But as I quickly found out, that stuff doesn't work. This may sound silly but I feel kind of scared about taking the time to learn this game. The SF series is where I feel so comfortable and anytime I drift away from that(even when trying other Capcom fighters), I just feel so lost that I want to give up immediately and go back where I feel at home.

But rest assure I will give the game more time and probably even buy it. Even if I never fully get into the game, I still want to support it by buying a copy.

Stick at it! Just remember that while they may be a bit similar, you're playing a different game. You'd feel silly try to play Tekken like it was SF right? Obviously not as drastic, but the same applies here. So kick your instincts to the curve and start with a blank slate, look at it as a whole new learning experience, which is going to be mad fun :p

I can tell you now, learning this game has improved my SF4 game.

Execution barriers w/ no comeback mechanic is what pure honest fighting is about baby!

Though I think no comeback mechanic is a good thing, I always find it ironic that SNK, the company that pretty much invented the mechanic and used to put it in all their damn games, is the one to get praised for it LOL. They have good timing haha.

Easier execution on sf4 is a great thing though. Rids a barrier of entry to the metagame, which is what fighters are TRULY about.

Playing the game in arcade mode
> new challenger
it's saiki
Beat him
> get trophy
Winner screen
Unlock Notification screen
---Game freezes ( black screen )
Restart PS3 , get to the main menu
Saiki is still locked ...

Well time to post my opinions .. i'm not an expert but KOF was probably the first fighting game i got into and it's nice to see a good fighting game this time .Final boss remind me of jinpachi mishima for tekken 5 ... as when it start hammering you with long range attacks , you're pretty much f**ked .

Netcode is a total disapointment ...

-Looking for a match
-found a room & connecting
-room is full
[repeat]

Now i hope they correct this fast

ShinAmano

Picked this up last night after swearing no more SNK after the unplayable mess that was KOF12...glad I did it is a fun littlw game.

Frankfurt

Banned
Back home, downloaded the demo.

Yeah, i can't appreciate the sprites with that blurry shit all over them. I would have an easier time accepting this same engine with Atari 2600 graphics. I can appreciate XBox Live Indie Games with 8-bit graphics a LOT more than i can appreciatte what the sprites here look like.

People worked really hard on those sprites, and then someone came over and put vaseline over it all. Never used filters, never will. Even with pixel-doubling, a "no filter" option was a must for the last real pixel-art fighter.

KOF is my favorite series of all time, but i can't support art getting shitted upon. I'll get it in a month or two, but i have half-a-dozen games that don't rub me wrong like this, so they'll take priority.

Never tought i would feel better about a Mortal Kombat than a KOF...

Kimosabae

Banned
Lots of hyperbole but I agree. I've always hated SNK's pixel art "filter", or whatever. The game looks gorgeous when the sprites are small or when you're looking at the tv from afar, but once I peep those grainy shaders on the pixels while playing it's an instant turn-off. Totally holds the game's visuals back.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Back home, downloaded the demo.

Yeah, i can't appreciate the sprites with that blurry shit all over them. I would have an easier time accepting this same engine with Atari 2600 graphics. I can appreciate XBox Live Indie Games with 8-bit graphics a LOT more than i can appreciatte what the sprites here look like.

People worked really hard on those sprites, and then someone came over and put vaseline over it all. Never used filters, never will. Even with pixel-doubling, a "no filter" option was a must for the last real pixel-art fighter.

KOF is my favorite series of all time, but i can't support art getting shitted upon. I'll get it in a month or two, but i have half-a-dozen games that don't rub me wrong like this, so they'll take priority.

Never tought i would feel better about a Mortal Kombat than a KOF...

Yeah, this is some hyper hyperbole for real. I agree with your general sentiment: I would prefer the original sprites in all their pixel-glory immensely. That said, the game is still gorgeous. I finally managed to buy it a few days ago and was floored at how good it looked.

More importantly, it plays like a dream. Those trial modes alone are such important tools in getting the rhythm behind the combo system. I was literally shocked to see so much canceling into canceling etc. Looks so epic when you can finally nail it down too. Right now I am settling on King & Takuma but still haven't decided on a third.

And fuck, it sucks that I can't afford Live right now. Hopefully I can get back online after holidays.

Great, great game. SNK really put it together for this one.

game looks amazing, my local guys think so too. a filterless option would've been nice though. i don't get how you can ignore a good game because of this.

I'm watching the stream right and I have a question, how are they getting their custom soundtrack to play like that? It's playing what seems like team.character specific songs from KOFXI. How do I do that with mine?

BadWolf

I'm watching the stream right and I have a question, how are they getting their custom soundtrack to play like that? It's playing what seems like team.character specific songs from KOFXI. How do I do that with mine?

Go to sound options in the option menu, there is a choice between A and B version music. A is XIII arcade and B results in those old themes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

It's the "Track B" side the soundtrack, you can select this option under the sound options on the Options Menu. Plays KoF XI Music for teams in that game, NEOGEO Arashi No Sax for Flames Iori, Kim Team's KoF 96 theme, Geese's theme for Billy Kane, and some other oddities here or there.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Go to the Sound Options and select Type B

Which stream are you watching, just got here.

Go to sound options in the option menu, there is a choice between A and B version music. A is XIII arcade and B results in those old themes.

It's the "Track B" side the soundtrack, you can select this option under the sound options on the Options Menu. Plays KoF XI Music for teams in that game, NEOGEO Arashi No Sax for Flames Iori, Kim Team's KoF 96 theme, Geese's theme for Billy Kane, and some other oddities here or there.

Go to the Sound Options and select Type B

Which stream are you watching, just got here.

Thanks gents.

It's this stream that was posted yesterday. Korean KOF players, they've been going at it all day. Hours of high level play

Kimosabae

Banned
Is it really a filter, though? I thought that was just SNK's style of shading their sprites. They look more detailed in comparison to Capcom sprite work, but look grainy in their effect. O thought it was just a stylistic decision present in all their games that I just didn't agree with.

LegatoB

Is it really a filter, though? I thought that was just SNK's style of shading their sprites. They look more detailed in comparison to Capcom sprite work, but look grainy in their effect. O thought it was just a stylistic decision present in all their games that I just didn't agree with.
No, it's a filter. The sprites in KOF13 are sized about the same as the sprites in Guilty Gear, e.g. they started work on the game when 480i was still the standard. Because 720P is not a clean 2x resize over 480 -- it's 1.5x, specifically -- they had no choice but to put a filter over it. If you have Arcana Heart 3, try turning off the graphics filter in that for a similar effect. You will not like the results.

In fact, here's a demonstration. From left to right: native res, 150% with "vaseline" filter, and 150% with Nearest Neighbor, aka no filtering.
ZU81Q.png

As much as I prefer the crispness of the native res sprite, I'm not willing to take it over the absolute wrecking of details that happens when you do a nearest-neighbor at anything other than an exact doubling.

I purchased this on impulse after my friend told me that they play this at the office at lunch.

man, the packaging with the full manual + 4 disc soundtrack is freakin' awesome fo 2011 standards when EA and Ubi have eliminated instruction manuals

i am impressed with my first 2 hours of play,

i am liking so far

As much as I prefer the crispness of the native res sprite, I'm not willing to take it over the absolute wrecking of details that happens when you do a nearest-neighbor at anything other than an exact doubling.

Thanks for this post. I don't feel as bummed out about the lack of filtering options now.

Quick question you may or may not know the answer to--

What was going on with the sprite sizes in XII? Where they at 2x when zoomed in? I feel like I noticed a slight filter and a little bit of "nearest neighbor" going on occasionally.

Thanks for this post. I don't feel as bummed out about the lack of filtering options now.

Quick question you may or may not know the answer to--

What was going on with the sprite sizes in XII? Where they at 2x when zoomed in? I feel like I noticed a slight filter and a little bit of "nearest neighbor" going on occasionally.

The camera at XII was really close in, making the sprites 2x their original size (even more during Critical Counter). XIII maintains 1.25 or 1.50x zoom except for win poses and supers. It also looked like they put work into the filter itself to find as good of a balance as possible, which I feel they succeeded in.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ah, i thought i was the only one. one-frame links killed me in SF4. this, though, is just old-school quickness imo.
You know.. ive always bitched about SFIV one frame links and how theyre a big part of the high level play.

Yeah i was totally wrong about that. One frame links are not that hard. (Given the fact that theyre high level play elements)

tested the netcode for a few hours. started to play my neighbour for a start. yellow connection with slight delay, we both have different isp and he's on wlan. it's playable, but you can't take it serious. tried some yellows with strangers as well, same result.

found a guy with a green connection and stuck with him for an hour. it was buttery smooth, no delays or other problems. it's up there with the best fighting game connections if you can find somebody that cares about his internet.

now on to friendlist these people asap.

Fersis

tested the netcode for a few hours. started to play my neighbour for a start. yellow connection with slight delay, we both have different isp and he's on wlan. it's playable, but you can't take it serious. tried some yellows with strangers as well, same result.

found a guy with a green connection and stuck with him for an hour. it was buttery smooth, no delays or other problems. it's up there with the best fighting game connections if you can find somebody that cares about his internet.

now on to friendlist these people asap.
I played with a guy 4 green bars and it was almost lag free, best online experience ever... then we played again with 4 green bars and it had like 3 seconds delay.

So the netcode is fine ... when it works

alstein

Went to local tourney- lost to the 2 finalists.

Not having a good source of online means lots of stuff I have no answer to, cause I haven't seen it. Then again, that also did me some favors, some folks had no clue on the Maxima.

Top Bottom