• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Tizoc

Sorry for the late reply Skilletor.
...but I can confirm that if you do QCB, HCF, UF then press P (NOT UF+P) then the super'll come out.
I managed to do QCF+HK-->method above.

Oh and anyone play in Mr. Karate's stage? The one with a big sword in the middle? Cuz I played in it against my friend online.
There are some stages you just don't put cameo characters in SNK, seriously they'll seem out of place.

Skilletor

Sorry for the late reply Skilletor.
...but I can confirm that if you do QCB, HCF, UF then press P (NOT UF+P) then the super'll come out.
I managed to do QCF+HK-->method above.

Oh and anyone play in Mr. Karate's stage? The one with a big sword in the middle? Cuz I played in it against my friend online.
There are some stages you just don't put cameo characters in SNK, seriously they'll seem out of place.

Hi, Tizoc!

Thanks for the help, but I got it already :).

I'm not sure how, but I think doing QCB, QCB to u/B, then forward gets it to come out. I think I read that QCB x 2, F + attack was a shortcut for that super motion, so maybe that's why.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
first hour with this game in trials

The toughest part of all my trials so far is landing a combo after Jumping attacks...Jesus u gotta land that jumping attack an inch to the floor or something.

and oh 2xHC motion, u haunt me in every game :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally gonna pick this game up.

Which version is better? Don't care about the controller difference, because I've got a stick for both systems.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Which version is better? Don't care about the controller difference, because I've got a stick for both systems.
I dont think theres a better version. Both version run equally good.
And by good i mean FRIGGIN AWESOME!!11!

I like N4Us mic work.

It won't make any difference when all is said and done, but PSN is getting those DLC characters late. Other than that they're the same game so go for the 360 if you're in a hurry, or go where your competition is.

Well Gaf. I just got 20-0'd online. Don't think I've ever been so thoroughly destroyed in this game before in my life. I can't even attribute the losses to any one factor, I just got royally out played.

Haha, friends keep asking why it has to load between rounds. I don't know why they didn't just fade to black and come back rather than leaving the "Now Loading" text in...

Is Mai's NEOMAX 0 frame startup AND full screen? It's ridiculous and I love it.

I'm not too sure about the frames anymore I've seen someone block it just as they were landing but that was online, and funny things can happen online. Plus he was in the hit state animation too.

Kioshen

Thanks for the quick games lyte edge yesterday. These were really my very first matches outside of trials so yeah derpness was all over the place but hey in the end I managed to get to your 3rd character sometimes. I had a little trouble adjusting to the slight lag we had so I got hit by way too many fireballs. Someday I'll find a way around your Ash !

At least now I know a little better which characters suits me better. Yuri is here to stay for sure and I've been surprised by Terry. I'll still try to keep betty around. Overall, I just need to start playing against people, figure out pressure strings and stop playing like it's SF. Getting some bnbs down pat shouldn't hurt either ...

Tizoc

Kyo has a girlfriend and Mr. Karate is father of two so it'd be kinda awkward.

You mean the girlfriend that hasn't been brought up in over 10 year, and is most likely dead or written out of continuity?

Nothing awkward about an old middle aged man having a good time with the ladies; you do that in Yakuza games and it's no big deal~

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Thanks for the quick games lyte edge yesterday. These were really my very first matches outside of trials so yeah derpness was all over the place but hey in the end I managed to get to your 3rd character sometimes. I had a little trouble adjusting to the slight lag we had so I got hit by way too many fireballs. Someday I'll find a way around your Ash !

GGs dude!

I tried to use a large variety of characters (some I hadn't even used in matches yet) to give you an idea of things online.

Until a patch is released (assuming it does anything), lag should pretty much be expected. We had two bars and normally I wouldn't even play someone multiple times with the connection we had going, but with people on my friends list I don't mind!

One thing about the community I've found on both 360 and PS3 is a pretty low number of rage-quitters and hate mail. It still happens, but compared to other fighting games it occurs a lot less.

At least now I know a little better which characters suits me better. Yuri is here to stay for sure and I've been surprised by Terry. I'll still try to keep betty around. Overall, I just need to start playing against people, figure out pressure strings and stop playing like it's SF. Getting some bnbs down pat shouldn't hurt either ...

Definitely the bolded part for sure. I didn't see it with Yuri as much, but it was noticeable with Terry. You seemed to be taking a Guile-turtling approach, which doesn't work all that well in KOF. Certainly not with Terry at least....you'd probably be better off doing that with Ash.

A lot of the people I play online tend to treat the game like Street Fighter, fail to realize that specials/supers can be stopped by normals, and also don't take advantage of rolls/counters/CDs/and hops. Even played a flowchart Ken-style K'!

This is KoF, everyone that ever enters stays the age they were when they first participated. Otherwise Athena would also be in her 30s, now THAT would be kinda disturbing with her looks...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is KoF, everyone that ever enters stays the age they were when they first participated. Otherwise Athena would also be in her 30s, now THAT would be kinda disturbing with her looks...

Athena and Yuri seem to have regressed in age, LOL.

GrayFoxPL

You mean the girlfriend that hasn't been brought up in over 10 year, and is most likely dead or written out of continuity?

Nothing awkward about an old middle aged man having a good time with the ladies; you do that in Yakuza games and it's no big deal~

Kyo killed his gf? :O

That puts him in a different light. Iori was the good guy all along!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The characters seem to poke some fun at their "aging", though, and they seem quite aware of the fact that they've been at this for years, such as how Mai wonders why Goro brings up her manner of dressing for the first time after all these years.

KoF XI seemed like it was trying to progress things JUST a bit, with it's use of MOTW characters and designs, but the "HD Rebirth" seems to prefer showing characters in their most iconic / classic states, which conveniently happen to be their youngest.

I can deal with them wanting to "start from scratch" with the change in resolution and details. If we stayed in the NEO era graphics, we'd probably be aging the characters some by now, and if something like MOTW and SFIII was successful, we'd probably see acceptance of new characters taking on their old masters places much more commonly...

I can relate. It seems I lose damn near every match these days. As much as I HATE to, it looks like I'll have to sit in practice mode for hours and memorize some combos -_-

I find myself losing mostly aganist people who ALSO would really beat me in 2K2UM. KoF fundamentals of movement and opponenet-control carry over well to this game. But I also find the biggest deciding factor, in a way, to be if you can land damage when you need to.

And that doesn't HAVE to be through huge combos. Fundamental combos (normal, command normal, special) + Learning how to land a normal that lets you do a naked Neomax (then later taking that to normal -> Hyperdrive mode into normal, Neomax afterwards) can really help in the early sessions.

I find Drive Cancel combos to be easier than HD variety, and that's given me another "edge" that I didn't have early on.

Also, on the other side of the coin, I find a LOT of people INSIST on doing the same UNSAFE moves OVER and OVER again. And no matter how many times you punish them, as a way of saying "NO, STOP DOING THAT!", they don't seem to learn. And that might be less their own fault, and more the fact that New-To-KoF players might not know how to punish these things, or make them look safe. And if you've fought 70 matches VS new players, and only 5 or 6 versus classic players... it can change your perception on who'se showing you the truth.

So you perhaps have anything like that, that makes your gameplay risky? If so, learning not to do these things can help you even more than learning combos!

Olaeh

One thing about the community I've found on both 360 and PS3 is a pretty low number of rage-quitters and hate mail. It still happens, but compared to other fighting games it occurs a lot less.

My last 4 matches have been with rage-quitters :/ Maybe it's just my luck, but whenever it looks like I'm going to win, I get rage-quit :(

Tizoc

The characters seem to poke some fun at their "aging", though, and they seem quite aware of the fact that they've been at this for years, such as how Mai wonders why Goro brings up her manner of dressing for the first time after all these years.
Well that's because this is the first time they have pre-fight dialogues in KoF XIII...which in turn is because they didn't bother to give characters intro animations.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well that's because this is the first time they have pre-fight dialogues in KoF XIII...which in turn is because they didn't bother to give characters intro animations.

Personally, I love the pre-fight dialog... it's actually really well written. Tons of in-jokes, references, and gives a lot of background on the characters in a subtle way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Don't tell me, it was Mai's question! (>.>)

That said, the "They didn't bother" sounds a bit more negative than I think they deserve. Not like those animations just produce themselves!

I like to keep in mind that anything they made for these old characters would have to had been met for the DLC characters, and any new ones they make going forward (next game, future DLC, etc.) Adding in new voices was a smart touch. And they're already reusing sprites for victory poses... They seemed to have stretched some things pretty far (Ryo has 3 victory poses), so it's not like they didn't try.

We might have gotten new intro animations if they didn't make Console and/or DLC characters! (-_-;) (<.<)

Personally, I love the pre-fight dialog... it's actually really well written. Tons of in-jokes, references, and gives a lot of background on the characters in a subtle way.

I agree. As much as I love KoF Intro's (I basically never skip them when I'd play), I think they're a good replacement for now (And I kinda hope they stay going forward), and I'm glad there's SOMETHING there, rather than how SFIV has totally omitted their existance save for 1 point in arcade mode. (Cool how UMVC has them, though!)

I see we are talking about aging in KOF.

I remember with KOFXI being my first game I spent a few hours reading some canon. Terry like 24, so that is a reason why we don't see Rock(so lame.) even though Garou character were in full force in KOF XI.

I think Kyo & Iori are like stuck at 20 now? At least I think that's what the JP site for KOFXIII says.

i eat that stuff up as well. unique intro/outro animations are cool too, so i hope they'll work on that more in the next game.

Atolm

My copy arrived today. All I can say is that I'm very impressed with the game so far, never expected Playmore to release something worthwhile but this game gives me hope for a brighter future. Oh, how much gaming needs a Samurai Spirits with this engine.

I am so goddamn furious at SNKP...
They hyped the hell out of this game's netcode and it's worse than MvC3's and UMvC3's combined.

I did not beg for nearly two years for this unplayable crap...

I am so heartbroken.

Top Bottom