• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Guess what I just went out and bought? I'll give you a hint.

6XBJD.jpg

Mine still has the 4-cd soundtrack too! Last nights stream with Chin, Clark and Steve's announcing sold me.

Haha, welcome to the party. I figured you'd fancy Chin, when I saw you mention liking Brad Wong in the DOA 5 thread. Chin's a favorite of mine too, though I haven't got back into him as much as I was in XII... I still lack solidarity with his combos :(

It all makes sense now! This game has the largest freakin buffer window in any fg i've ever played. That's why I'm gettin all these random ass supers/dp's that I'm NOT doing. This is not honest :/

MK9's buffer window annoyed me a LOT more. In KoF, I feel like it's telling me to relax. WHen I do, moves flow like I want. If I'm a bit too hype, it's time for getting DMs rather than DPs, and Haoshokoken's rather than walking Kou'ken...

In an odd twist, the buffers trip me up alot more in training than they do in actual fights.

@Sab Ca - How often do you use hwa's A grab super? I've been using a lot of ticks into it and they've been really successful. Usually I'll do a run up st. B, and during the B buffer the qcf, then dash up hcb +A to land the super. I'll do the same buffer technique, but tacked on to the end of blocked hit confirm strings as well (like cr. b, cr. a, cr. b) I don't do it often, but people get really scared about run up grab supers and it helps me open them up.

It's rate that I tick with Hwa, I do it more with Clark and Maxima (and the rare Yuri play, or Duo's NM...). Normally, It's either C Breaker, or only in dash in -> Normal -> Breaker confirms for punishing fiers DMs and such. I use it as a last ditch suprise, more than a training tool.

The sad thing about the people I do Tick / abuse with BREKAAA, is that they're the types that never learn. "Oh Hwa, would you like another Strong Phoenix Arrow?" "Hey, is it safe for me to try and sweep EVERY semi-open block strring?"

Oh, and that makes me remember... I love the fact that his console CD hops over lows. Love even more that it hops over Kyo's fireball, haha. A Blatantly easy way to land Dragon Dance off a counter hit.

why can i set latency as requirement for joining when sometimes a red guy joins anyway? this is weird. it works most of the time, but still.....

i rather stay in practice than kicking useless connections out.

Because the setting is a suggestion, not a requirement. Quick match users always have the chance to be thrown into whatever it finds *open*, too, so that doesn't help either.

Haha, SolarKnight said about the same exact thing while I was posting this...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think that i just found my team: Clark, Vice and Yuri.
Hwa seems cool too and i have to find a fireball or keep away character to balance things out.

Oh and the MK9 Demo had the worst input buffer system ever. (Ive been told that it was fixed for release)

Even if MK9 has been my favorite game of the gen, it is really annoying constantly getting the special move of the button I used last in my combo instead of the one I pressed with the motion :/. There's a delicate balance to be had when it comes to input windows and shortcuts.

oh yeah, KOF

when's the patch out

shaowebb

Haha, welcome to the party. I figured you'd fancy Chin, when I saw you mention liking Brad Wong in the DOA 5 thread. Chin's a favorite of mine too, though I haven't got back into him as much as I was in XII... I still lack solidarity with his combos :(

Thanks. I actually played and own copies of most to all the KOF games and was a longtime fan, but I never really got serious with any fighters until MVC3. Now that I'm learning how to tighten up on tactics and combos it felt good to see KOF13 looking so nice lately. I'd always really preferred this series since its cast had more personality than Street Fighter which relied more on "i am this kind of fighter" as their near-entire gimmick. Street Fighter is fine and all, but KoF always had cooler personalities and more appeal in characters to me.

My old faves used to be King, K', Kyo, Iori, Andy, Terry, Chris (not orochi NORMAL), Clark, Chin, Adelheid, Shion, and Bob Wilson (yeah yeah I know, but I can dream.)

Not sure who I'll go in on in this one really. Likely K'. He's always a favorite.

So...I tried KOF XII a bit after playing so much XIII. Ugh, what a strange feeling game. I guess when I first played it I didn't have very much experience with the post 98 KOFs so it was more difficult to notice what was missing. The lack of speed, ex moves, AOF paced inputs and the shortened move lists are blaringly obvious now.

However, I really put it in to compare the visual style of the games. For a long time I held that XII was one of the most if not THE most beautiful looking fighters I've ever seen so when I was about to try it again I was a little worried that I'd still feel like it looks superior to XIII, but I'm mostly happy to say that it's not the case. I did notice a few interesting things (at least to me!)

~crazy zone~

I found that the sprite sizes when zoomed out in XII are identical to the size of the sprites in XIII so it was a great chance to compare the filterless look of XII with the filtered XIII.

XII
XIII

The XIII picture didn't turn out as clear as I'd hoped, but the only difference is that XII looks a bit more crisp and rough around the edges. I'd almost say the slightly filtered XIII sprites work better over all at least until you zoom in on neomax.

Here's a close up of Robert

XII
XIII

So in the end I'm okay with leaving the AOF inspired visuals of XII behind, but I'm left wondering why SNKP still decided not to give us a sprite filter on/off option in XIII. The only thing I'm going to miss from XII is those beautiful fucking backgrounds. We've got a whole stable of gorgeous backdrops in XIII and I feel silly asking for more, but I would kill for DLC featuring the Stadium at day/night and Russia (felt that it was very strange to leave it out of XIII completely.) The stages that appear in a reworked form within XIII would also be nice as I felt some are drastically different in each game. I miss the original Egypt stage and most of all the fat women with the whales in France. I've kinda given up hope on seeing these return as the main problem might have been the busy-ness of the backgrounds obscuring the fight, hence the color tone change of the China market and removal of sumo wrestlers on the Japan stage.

Oh well, maybe next round! Do people think we'll get another game in the series? How's the buzz for this in Japan now that it's out? I haven't heard much...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't mean to derail discussion but I was wondering if there was a place to download some of the Premium Theme artwork as wallpapers

I played the demo a little tonight. I couldn't figure out how to get the super neo max whatever super off, but it was a fun little two matches all the same. I think my TV is too small to comfortable play the game for extended amounts of time, which is more than a little saddening. I also don't think it's the type of game I would ever get serious about.

Does your controller have a "home" button?
If yes: It's supported.
If not: No idea why, but it won't work.

I'm using the genuine SLS Sega Saturn USB controller. I will be appalled (purchase cancelled) if it doesn't work.

(Actually I just did the PS3 system update and was absolutely freaked out that it had been disabled some how, but it worked just fine on SFIII 3SO, so it wasn't that.)

Thanks.

shaowebb

Okay just did my initial run through via tutorial, arcade and some story and I can say I am really feeling Chin. Does he have invulnerability or armor or something? I drink a lot when they try to run and his qcf HP just blasts through things. Loving this drunkard a lot more than I used to in his older variants from the old games in this.

Also Vice and Mature are both surprisingly good this time around O_O. They were alway sort of Ho-hum to me before but I was cleaning up on certain folks with them. Granted I never took my KoF seriously so I largely don't know what I'm doing yet, but they seem really good to me.

So glad I picked this up. <3

New blog Post EX Kyo Vs Kyo:
Click it. Do it.

I REALLY hope someone translates the entire EX Kyo vs Kyo video XD

So, if I understood correctly...
-EX can combo into f+B while Kyo can cancel df+D into specials instead
-EX's B is faster and can combo into itself while Kyo's C is faster(?)
-EX's DP has guardpoints (just like his rekkas) while Kyo's DP has some invincibility frames.
-EX's EX command grab has either guard points or invincibility (it's hard to tell and I can't read what he's saying) while Kyo's is a 1-frame grab.
-EX can't combo DPxxqcf+K,K (and he has to do the second kick manually) while Kyo can.
-EX gets an Orochinagi that juggles higher allowing for following up with something else, while Kyo gets a faster EX Orochinagi

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Okay just did my initial run through via tutorial, arcade and some story and I can say I am really feeling Chin. Does he have invulnerability or armor or something?
EX qcb+AC has some invincibility, and the EX version of his roll does too, though not on startup.

Generally, Chen gets defensive options from being able to blast out a counter at any time... his roll, quickie punches (d,d+P) and the first hit of df+B can be combo'd into and out of, and it's good to remember that his counters count as specials to cancel into... good way to provide extra cover.

I drink a lot when they try to run and his qcf HP just blasts through things. Loving this drunkard a lot more than I used to in his older variants from the old games in this.

He's a great mix of "DRINKING IS IMPORTANT!" stuff from the 2K series, but without nerfing his moveset based on drinks. I like the idea, but the fact that he had to drink to get moves he had standard in 98 seemed like an unneeded change.

Also Vice and Mature are both surprisingly good this time around O_O. They were alway sort of Ho-hum to me before but I was cleaning up on certain folks with them. Granted I never took my KoF seriously so I largely don't know what I'm doing yet, but they seem really good to me.

So glad I picked this up. <3

Glad you're enjoying them and the game:) Mature has become sn odd mixup-monster of some sort, and Vice now depends on setups more than ever. They've both gotten more solid niche's, to me, than they once had.

Okay, I'm loving Claw Iori......Now, finding the third character...Hmmmmm, Andy or Mai....Let's see.

Good to see some love for the Claw...

I REALLY hope someone translates the entire EX Kyo vs Kyo video XD

So, if I understood correctly...
-EX can combo into f+B while Kyo can cancel df+D into specials instead
-EX's B is faster and can combo into itself while Kyo's C is faster(?)
-EX's DP has guardpoints (just like his rekkas) while Kyo's DP has some invincibility frames.
-EX's EX command grab has either guard points or invincibility (it's hard to tell and I can't read what he's saying) while Kyo's is a 1-frame grab.
-EX can't combo DPxxqcf+K,K (and he has to do the second kick manually) while Kyo can.
-EX gets an Orochinagi that juggles higher allowing for following up with something else, while Kyo gets a faster EX Orochinagi

All sounds right. They made him a more In-Yo-Face Kyo, who depends on timing of moves to keep himself (semi) safe. Seems like they made a lot of smart choices in there.

------

A Hwa Jai Combo Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=820DVTcxIJQ

I'm suprised how well D dragon kick can leave opponent in juggle state after air juggling. Hwa's moveset works so well together!

GrayFoxPL

I'm using the genuine SLS Sega Saturn USB controller. I will be appalled (purchase cancelled) if it doesn't work.

(Actually I just did the PS3 system update and was absolutely freaked out that it had been disabled some how, but it worked just fine on SFIII 3SO, so it wasn't that.)

Thanks.

Shit won't work. I'm waiting for a patch as well. Can't play without my cheap logitech pad.

Skilletor

I'm pretty excited for Nests Kyo. Definitely more my style than classic Kyo.

I played online with a friend last night, and sometimes it was amazing. Then, seconds later for no reason, it'd be shit. If the patch can just make it consistent, I'll be happy.

Skilletor

It's more infuriating because the game is so goddamn GOOD!

FIX DIS SHIT SNKP.

Indeed.

I was really down on this game when I first played it. The amazing gameplay has me sold, though. I rescind any statements about not giving SNK anymore money. I'm going to buy this game on ps3 now, because that's the console some of my friends own and I need to show them the game.

I hope their next fighter is a Fatal Fury. :D

BadWolf

They should fix the player data bug while there are at it.

Played someone yesterday who was of a certain level, a few matches in the same player turned into a level 1 and his avatar disappeared.

The same day at a later time the same thing happened to me, all my player data was gone and my level reverted to 1, I also lost all the colors etc I unlocked as a result.

Billy and Saiki are still unlocked so the issue is directly related to player data it seems.

GrayFoxPL

What is unexplainable is that snkp has good netcode under their nose. M2(?) guys and gals who do their neogeo station ports really improve each title and they coded really solid online for kof95.

Why is Snkp looking the wrong way and use some jp exclusive online devs from ps2 era?

N4Us

They should fix the player data bug while there are at it.

Played someone yesterday who was of a certain level, a few matches in the same player turned into a level 1 and his avatar disappeared.

The same day at a later time the same thing happened to me, all my player data was gone and my level reverted to 1, I also lost all the colors etc I unlocked as a result.

Billy and Saiki are still unlocked so the issue is directly related to player data it seems.

Dunno about the levels but there is a known bug with color unlocking. The good thing though is that any color edits you made will stay as long as you don't go back and change them.

BadWolf

What is unexplainable is that snkp has good netcode under their nose. M2(?) guys and gals who do their neogeo station ports really improve each title and they coded really solid online for kof95.

Well I'm no netcode pro but KOFXIII is on a whole different level visually and gameplay-wise so I doubt what worked for KOF95 would be sufficient for XIII.

Dunno about the levels but there is a known bug with color unlocking. The good thing though is that any color edits you made will stay as long as you don't go back and change them.

Yeah that already happened to me as well, except that its all gone this time.

The player data is screwed up overall I think. I checked Ryo's stats before they were erased and it wasn't showing accurate info, like it would say that I used zero neomaxes and did 0 neomax finishes when Ryo is probably the character who I do those most with (heck, I did a neomax finish in a match minutes prior to checking the stats).

What is the bug?

Colors you unlock get locked back again. You can still see them on the customized colors you saved previously for a character though.

I learned so much reading this article...this man is an icon in the business. He contributed to countless hours of my entertainment and made or had a hand in most of my favorite games.

Isn't it just jaw-dropping how much he's done? And to think he still has a hand in the still wildly popular SF series!

GrayFoxPL

Well I'm no netcode pro but KOFXIII is on a whole different level visually and gameplay-wise so I doubt what worked for KOF95 would be sufficient for XIII.
Not saying the exact netcode from kof95 would work, just that they're bunch of talented programmers that improved really fast between releasing kof94 and 95.The way they minimized input lag impressed me more then sf3oe with "it didn't happen" ggpo.
I believe they could handle xiii.

BadWolf

Not saying the exact netcode from kof95 would work, just that they're bunch of talented programmers that improved really fast between releasing kof94 and 95.The way they minimized input lag impressed me more then sf3oe with "it didn't happen" ggpo.
I believe they could handle xiii.

Fair enough.

So after a while i was playing some online again , i see it's still sucks ass o well.
Ex Kyo look awesome can't wait to try him out after i send my ps3 to repair .

On Dream Cancel (I think) it was actually speculated that SNK has some stake/owns in the company doing the netcode.

I actually posted that. To be honest, I was joking on that, but I'm not too sure now since the GameSyncSofts website only shows SNK games. So who knows if they actually have a stake in them. Wouldn't surprise me since the Japanese believe in all that great honor so great netcode must only be done by one company. Where's the picture of that damn Cybiko cow when you need it?

I think I brought this up before but thought I ask again.

Were their any indication (or rumors) that there will be more dlc characters? I read some stuff in forums that Blue Mary and her team was hinted at that would team up with Billy as well as B Jenet entering the tournament.

Would like to see Rock in the game as well.

Maybe King of Fighters XIV or KoFXIII-Dash/Ex/etc.?

Also, I finally had a chance to play this. I thought the graphics were great but I didn't expect the character sprites to feel a little pixelated and blurrier when compared to BlazBlue. It still looks amazing though.

Game is fantastic. Real shame about the netcode, hope they improve it.

One thing that's confusing me... the character records seem very wrong.
For instance, it says I've used Ash 6 times, but I have used him in ranked matches at least 10 times and in other modes countless times. What gives?
Which modes count towards character selection?
I will never get all the colours if it doesn't even log each time I use a character!

Game is fantastic. Real shame about the netcode, hope they improve it.

One thing that's confusing me... the character records seem very wrong.
For instance, it says I've used Ash 6 times, but I have used him in ranked matches at least 10 times and in other modes countless times. What gives?
Which modes count towards character selection?
I will never get all the colours if it doesn't even log each time I use a character!

There is a bug that resets character usage data. Atlus said in their forums that they told SNKP to look into it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SAB Ca, how do you go about implementing hwa's drink super into his game? Do you ever use it?

Mostly as a "I've got this, lets make sure!" finishing tool, or aganist people who I know will do something that I'd LOVE to add more damage onto the DragonBackBREKA I'll soon be using aganist them.

Generally, I only use it after a Counter Hit Air CD, or a ground blowback. If / When I get better at the B Dragon Tail Drunken loops, I'd impliment it more, but for now, it's more of a style thing.

I think I brought this up before but thought I ask again.

Were their any indication (or rumors) that there will be more dlc characters? I read some stuff in forums that Blue Mary and her team was hinted at that would team up with Billy as well as B Jenet entering the tournament.

Would like to see Rock in the game as well.

Maybe King of Fighters XIV or KoFXIII-Dash/Ex/etc.?

Also, I finally had a chance to play this. I thought the graphics were great but I didn't expect the character sprites to feel a little pixelated and blurrier when compared to BlazBlue. It still looks amazing though.

There's unfounded rumors, but noone has said anything clearly yet. IF they were to make an arcade update, you can bet they'd add someone new to it, to give people a reason to play it. But they had no plans on that, though they seemed they'd be willing to do it, if the players recieved the console port well.

I'd love to see an update myself, especially if they continue to improve the games netcode / features going forward.

As far as blurrier characters... yeah, they're made at lower res than the BB characters, but are thankfully much better animated, overall. Really love the games style overall, though I wouldn't complain if Hwa recieved 1 more winpose ;) (Though Laughing at everyone you defeat is pretty appropiate for his personality...)

I'm hoping at the very least we can eventually see all the characters from the Ash saga eventually represented with the new sprites and then we can have a game (either KoF XIV or updated XIII) that resembled 98 UM or 2002 UM but for the Ash saga.

Maybe someone can clarify for me as I must've misheard. I remember hearing that this KoF could be the last if it flopped hard like XII did. But I thought I heard SNKP's game division was completely dissolved after XIII was released anyway and they were going to focus on Pachinko and Cell Phone games from now on?

Well, it wouldn't be too inaccurate to say that SNK has been a pachinko company that makes videogames rather than vice versa for quite a while, IIRC it's where they makes most of their revenue.

Rhythmic

Disappointing.

I wonder if maybe my connection just isn't good enough for this game in general. None of the people who have rooms created have a good connection to me. All 2 bars. I make a room and limit it so only 3 bars and up can join and nobody joins. I guess nobody can.

Is it my connection that is the problem and nobody can connect good enough to me for a 3 bar or higher or is it that nobody on the west coast plays this game online?

create a room and wait for a green or blue connection guy. you can play practice mode while waiting. i don't wait longer than 5-10 minutes usually and it's very playable at that speed.

if you can't find those connection types, then i'd start worrying about your connection.

What‘s the best I can get out of Betty‘s EX counter without using much meter? Best I can get is DP+A, j.D, super. Man that move got really nerfed :/

Top Bottom