• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

I spent my first 4 hours with the game today. I went straight to Leona's trials. So, what's the deal with her 3rd trial:

c.lk + c.lk + c.lk + lp + dawn up lp hp

Is there any charge partitioning type of system hidden in this game?

Nah, you're actually kara cancelling the st. lp into her ex up slash. So you cancel the cr.B into st. LP and then go straight0 to ex up slash. You have a lot of time to do the up slash, this game has the largest buffer window out of any other fighting game out there, just make sure you do it before st. lp is active.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Close to 13k viewers during KOFXIII stream.

I wonder if Atlus reports these kind of milestones back to SNKP. (Same with results and character usage)

zlatko

Banned
When is that online patch coming? I might pick up the game in January, but I want at least as good as UMvC3 code to drop the money on it.

zlatko

Banned
I wouldn't count on that.

It could be worse like XII.

Crap is still shit. Is it at least on par with SF4?

I'd say online net code atm goes:

Blazblue CT
UMvC3
SSF4
BBCS(for me, it had some major issues compared to CT)

------Then comes everything else and I don't care, because it's basically unplayable. Is it on par with any of the above? I only heard bad stuff from Arturo but he's a bit of a downer on everything that isn't GGPO, so his opinion is shit to me.

zlatko

Banned
You mean the netcode quality right now?

It's worse than vanilla SF4 in that it's inconsistent even at 4 bars.

Ouch. :(

I was reading in some stream chats that people were saying it was on par to SSF4 for them.

When is that patch scheduled then? I'll wait to see how it fairs then before jumping in. Otherwise it'll be a wait until I have the money/some kinda Amazon deal.

BadWolf

Shadow780

I was reading in some stream chats that people were saying it was on par to SSF4 for them.

When is that patch scheduled then? I'll wait to see how it fairs then before jumping in. Otherwise it'll be a wait until I have the money/some kinda Amazon deal.

I can see that being the case if both sides' setup is optimal, near each other, static ip and open ports, but that's rare in US.

Best wait and see impressions when the patch hits, there's no firm date yet.

OK guys, i know we're hot on the heels of SCR, but I would like some criticism and breakdowns to my games if yall don't mind watching a few matches. I was really green vs billy, but even more so, still green to the game. I know personally what I have to work on, but I always appreciate the outside view.

DarkGeese vs. Adnan

Obviously, I'm Adnan :p Help me learn my spanish guys!!!

edit - i figured out billy instant jumb back b overhead is punishable on hit
- also figured out by the end of the set to punish billy's uppercuts by running forward as to not have to block the down portion, then running to him to attack. IF there's a better punish though please holla at me

2nd edit - i guess it got cut off haha, but i finished the match with a tiger knee'd super at the end of that vid

alstein

You mean the netcode quality right now?

It's worse than vanilla SF4 in that it's inconsistent even at 4 bars.

I've gotten one 4 bar match, and it was awesome. Felt like offline.

3 bars is playable, most of the time. Lag abuse tactics can work at 3 bars though.

2 bars means you're likely playing Mexicans.

Hopefully SNK gets it right on the patch, and soon, but I don't believe in them when it comes to netcode.

Shadow780

I've got more 4 bars that are shitty, some are smooth though, like SF4 4 bars.

3 bars pretty much means King laggy bullshit tactic.

After watching SCR I finally ordered this. Free 1 day shipping!
aBwtO.gif

3 and 4 bars work very well for me. combos hit.

there is a 40% chance 2 bar matches are playable as well. sometimes players fluctuate between yellow and green, so i check them out when there is nothing better around.

red = don't even try.

Crap is still shit. Is it at least on par with SF4?

I'd say online net code atm goes:

Blazblue CT
UMvC3
SSF4
BBCS(for me, it had some major issues compared to CT)

------Then comes everything else and I don't care, because it's basically unplayable. Is it on par with any of the above? I only heard bad stuff from Arturo but he's a bit of a downer on everything that isn't GGPO, so his opinion is shit to me.
Definitely for you, I had a fantastic experience all the BlazBlue games. Still, anything at SSFIV level is acceptable.

OK guys, i know we're hot on the heels of SCR, but I would like some criticism and breakdowns to my games if yall don't mind watching a few matches. I was really green vs billy, but even more so, still green to the game. I know personally what I have to work on, but I always appreciate the outside view.

DarkGeese vs. Adnan

Obviously, I'm Adnan :p Help me learn my spanish guys!!!

edit - i figured out billy instant jumb back b overhead is punishable on hit
- also figured out by the end of the set to punish billy's uppercuts by running forward as to not have to block the down portion, then running to him to attack. IF there's a better punish though please holla at me

2nd edit - i guess it got cut off haha, but i finished the match with a tiger knee'd super at the end of that vid

You're playing the game like Street Fighter. Your Hwa always tries to counter jump ins with Dragon Kick.

You're mistiming a lot of your harder attacks. You're doing them a bit too early. You have to wait a tad more before you use them. Have you considered using weaker attacks in the air? They have more active frames and they tend to beat more harder attacks since they come out faster and stay longer. Another thing to keep in mind is that weaker attacks aim more higher or at body level, while harder jump attacks tend to aim downwards.

You roll a lot. One thing I notice about newer players is they always seem to love rolling in KOF. It's only invulnerable for a certain amount of time. The very end of a roll is highly vulnerable to combos, and at any time during a roll you can be grabbed out of them. I always find this to be a fun way to beat someone senseless. Just wait till the ending roll animations and give them a combo, or in the case of clark the SAB. Or if I'm Vice, her Gorefest.

For the first two rounds, it felt like you tried to move forward with attacks such as King's slide, Leona's blade and so forth. You forget to pay attention to the range of the staff and always get punished.

Your blocking seems to be too stagnant. You don't alternate to make things intentionally confusing or ambiguous which makes it easier to hit you with overheads such as Yuri's Ass bump. Your crouching block also makes it easier for Iori to do his command grab and give you that annoying rekka combo too.

You seem to love using EX versions of moves, yet use them mainly as a get off of me. You don't use them to do emergency evade or blowback, or as a part of a combo.

Well, at least from my observation anyways.

Well I don't think anyone's lying. It ranges from "omgbbq awesome offline-like" to "wtf is this unplayable shit?", with the number of bars displayed not necessarily being any indication. The inconsistency really is what isn't acceptable by today's standards.

Havent had this much fun playing a fighting game in a long time (and Im just practicing combos). It reminds me of the time I first played KOF 97 back in the day.

lol, no kidding

Or to be honest, scrubs and gaming journalists have no place talking about netcode. I've met people who thought Mortal kombat netcode was fine or that 13's netcode was fine because they didn't see the screen lag. Most gaming journalists have no idea how to actually handle input delay as long as it isn't 1-2 seconds per button press.

Laugh it up, but MK was about as tailor-made for press praise as you could get for a fighting game this gen. It's won several mainstream awards too.

Oh yea, thats why its so refreshing to see gamespot see past it and give KOF XIII a bone, but then again when it comes to fighters I don't care too much about press praise. I care about how the game plays and its turnout in tournaments.

Oh yea, thats why its so refreshing to see gamespot see past it and give KOF XIII a bone, but then again when it comes to fighters I don't care too much about press praise. I care about how the game plays and its turnout in tournaments.

I'm not defending MK, I'm just explaining why people expected MK to take it.

Dizzy-4U

Reading the OP:
Iori Yagami with the Power of Flames (DLC $4.99 includes trials, stage and BGM Release Date: 12/7)
You know, as much as I hate DLC characters on fighting games, if you're gonna do it, this is the right way.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Theres no doubt that MK is a far better package than KOF.
At least from the content per buck point of view.

Reading the OP:

You know, as much as I hate DLC characters on fighting games, if you're gonna do it, this is the right way.
Check your damn PMs you sexy Captain!

NESTS Kyo tomorrow!

Top Bottom