• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Frankfurt

Banned
Go to options and turn taunts on.

I figured if anyone was going to enjoy playing with every character 40 times to unlock anything it would be Fersis.

Also, i've ordered XIII already (instead of waiting a month or two as i planned). After playing the demo and seeing the blurry-ass sprites i felt more excited about replaying KOF XII than buying XIII (XII is so much prettier, and since my internet isn't good enough for netplay, playing solo is all i'm going to do). I started getting curious about story mode and couldn't hold off anymore.

Perhaps sales are more sluggish than expected if this late in the season they still haven't sold out their first shipment.
Strange considering Atlus rarely overships.

Have Atlus said anything about how this game has performed saleswise?

Perhaps sales are more sluggish than expected if this late in the season they still haven't sold out their first shipment.
Strange considering Atlus rarely overships.

Have Atlus said anything about how this game has performed saleswise?

that's no sales indication. i've bought plenty of other atlus games with their first print bonus long after their respective releases.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm really liking that the DLC chars all get stages, and that they seem to be cream of the crop in detail and quality.

Got NESTS Kyo today, and geeked out over his remake stage, with its times of day, and craploads of animated details down to the pedestrians in the distance being fully animated.

That's one thing that has impressed me about XIII. A weakness of SNK/Playmore games has been, presumably due to nil budgets, really cheap backgrounds. Animated details are usually cheesy, with like 2 frames of animation. Poor colors, dithering, everything was pretty grim.

The XIII backgrounds, even the ones where animation is conservative, are like the glory days of SNK's finest artists and most elaborate stages, but made in native HD. Without sacrificing anything. Someone who watched KoF XIII being played here, who hadn't seen it before but was very familiar with NeoGeo games from before 2001, said "it's like the best Neo Geo game as if it'd been made today.)

Man, how could you? Can you imagine all the sleepless nights they had to endure to make this? All the blood, sweat and tears shed before RGB editor and, Jesus, how many mouse click had to be made?

Hard work can't be free.

I know you're kidding, but I mean this because of the glitch that causes people to lose their color unlocks.

It's personal preference. Usually I go for the "Mexican" style
ABC
D
But for XIII I use
AC
BD
since that's what I use in the arcade because I hate lp being in any other position no matter what game it is.

ABC
D

Whoa, I never even heard of that style. It's been a while since I played a KOF game, but

BCD
A

is what I remember from US NeoGeo cabinets back in the day. I'm using a TE stick, but I have small hands so the buttons are a bit further apart than I'd like using "line layout" style.

I'm really liking that the DLC chars all get stages, and that they seem to be cream of the crop in detail and quality.

Got NESTS Kyo today, and geeked out over his remake stage, with its times of day, and craploads of animated details down to the pedestrians in the distance being fully animated.

That's one thing that has impressed me about XIII. A weakness of SNK/Playmore games has been, presumably due to nil budgets, really cheap backgrounds. Animated details are usually cheesy, with like 2 frames of animation. Poor colors, dithering, everything was pretty grim.

The XIII backgrounds, even the ones where animation is conservative, are like the glory days of SNK's finest artists and most elaborate stages, but made in native HD. Without sacrificing anything. Someone who watched KoF XIII being played here, who hadn't seen it before but was very familiar with NeoGeo games from before 2001, said "it's like the best Neo Geo game as if it'd been made today.)

Yeah, I think I made a post here a while back saying the same thing. That and there's no goofy Engrish old SNK games were known for.

Speaking of translation, I just did a playthrough of the Psycho Soldier team, and I noticed there's a bug with Kensou's win dialog against Ash. It isn't justified properly, and it's just one line that runs off screen.

Would this be a PS3 only thing, or does the 360/Arcade do it too?

Whoa, I never even heard of that style. It's been a while since I played a KOF game, but

BCD
A

is what I remember from US NeoGeo cabinets back in the day. I'm using a TE stick, but I have small hands so the buttons are a bit further apart than I'd like using "line layout" style.

Well, it's pretty much what all cabs are set up like in Latin America because they're 6-buttons ones rather than actual Neogeo cabs most of the time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ABC
D
But for XIII I use
AC
BD
since that's what I use in the arcade because I hate lp being in any other position no matter what game it is.

I never knew that was called Mexican style, but I actually set that for myself, not knowing it was a popular setup.

PJX

Will there be actual DLCs that aren't unlock keys? Will there be other characters besides those three which just happen to be unlock keys.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Will there be actual DLCs that aren't unlock keys? Will there be other characters besides those three which just happen to be unlock keys.
We dont know yet.

I hope that SNKP is working in Adel as we speak. XD

Welp, went 1-15 against Alstein ... that's an improvement as far as I'm concerned! :D

:(

I dunno, my Leona is more or less reliant on gimmicks (instant overhead into super all day) to do the majority of her damage and I'm not happy with my consistency in terms of comboing into her supers midscreen. I think she's a great character with some fantastic pressure strings that im just not making use of. Definitely need to start working on some more solid block strings (I've had some luck with CD into Charge Back - Forward kick, small hole in this string but it leaves me at an advantage at block).

My Kula is ... frankly I'm at a loss as to how to effectively use Kula. I'd like to think I make good use of her st.B pokes but the lack of a decent antiair and reversal without having to burn meter is really frustrating for me. I also seem to have trouble with comboing st.B into EX Ray spin consistently in a match. The angle on her DP overall is just really wonky too, often times I'll try to beat a jump and end up flying behind my opponent because of the odd trajectory of the move. The range on her actual reflect leaves a lot to be desired, the projectile has to basically be right on top of you to make decent use of it. I can combo with the girl fine but using her in any other situation is a no go for me at this point. I also need to get better at hit confirming LP Ray Spin into the correct followup for a combo.

I'm pretty happy with my Andy though.

Overall I don't think I'm utilizing all of the various mechanics in KOF, ultimately even after all these weeks I feel like I'm still trying to play the game like it's SF with a dynamic jumping system. I'm ignoring things like Rolling, guard cancel rolling and guard cancel blowbacks and it leaves me pretty much helpless in a match when I'm cornered by my opponent.

What I did like from the matches was my ability to incorporate run up throws to my game and I throw it out sparingly enough for it to always be a relatively effective threat. I've gotten a lot better with using throws to punish bad rolls as well. The next step I suppose is learning when the recovery period of the roll ends in order to properly punish it with a combo. I find that I'm usually too early in this regard and end up getting punished by trying to punish a roll I saw coming.

alstein

Your Andy was giving me fits, he's way too safe for what he can do. You did better against me offline in that bar a few weeks back though.

I had to adjust a bit, I figured my slower characters like Maxima weren't going to cut it, so I decided to bust out something I'm working on. I just wish I had enough execution to matter at this time- I can't do anything complicated, and combo dropping is so hurtful in this game I try to stick to the most basic of stuff and win that way. It's self-limiting and frustrating. I'm still trying to figure out my best team, It's Ralf/somebody/somebody.

My Kula is ... frankly I'm at a loss as to how to effectively use Kula. I'd like to think I make good use of her st.B pokes but the lack of a decent antiair and reversal without having to burn meter is really frustrating for me. I also seem to have trouble with comboing st.B into EX Ray spin consistently in a match. The angle on her DP overall is just really wonky too, often times I'll try to beat a jump and end up flying behind my opponent because of the odd trajectory of the move. The range on her actual reflect leaves a lot to be desired, the projectile has to basically be right on top of you to make decent use of it. I can combo with the girl fine but using her in any other situation is a no go for me at this point. I also need to get better at hit confirming LP Ray Spin into the correct followup for a combo.

Well, IIRC her ice breath is decent for corner pressure, you should probably use it if you don't already. Other than that, I don't really know what makes a good Kula other than kicking my ass with long drive/hd combos -.-;

Frankfurt

Banned
So Takuma with a DP and more useful Neomax?

He has a DP that can be cancelled like Andy's kuhadan, a counter, zanretsuken, running knee grab, air hien shippu kyaku and 2002 fireball that can be cancelled into dash.

So, four moves regular Takuma doesn't have, plus the usual different propoerties on normals and the DMs.

His Neomax makes zero sense, tho. It's like 99% of Neomaxes - special effects hiding the lack of animation.

He has a DP that can be cancelled like Andy's kuhadan, a counter, zanretsuken, running knee grab, air hien shippu kyaku and 2002 fireball that can be cancelled into dash.

So, four moves regular Takuma doesn't have, plus the usual different propoerties on normals and the DMs.

His Neomax makes zero sense, tho. It's like 99% of Neomaxes - special effects hiding the lack of animation.

Takuma ... with a DP?

My god.

Top Bottom