• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, Mr. Karate :)

He's quite the different character than normal Takuma, that's for sure. Especially with how fireball-spam online players make regular Takuma. I love how much Marco he has. We can tell from the combo vid that he appears to have 2 versions of air Hien Shippukyaku, one that aims downwards, the other that moves straight. The EX version appears to be 2 hits. This might make HienSK a good followup to jump-ins, much like how Hwa Jai or Yuri's hopping A into Divekick work now.

The Invisible Ko'ou ken was shown at a specific distance. Maybe he doesn't have a full screen variety, forcing him to fight at a mid-range distance to use his projectiles? The EX Version seemed to have a LONG startup, and seems made for juggles, but not for projectile wars. The specific ability to move in after the HP version seems to suggest that his projectile is more for self-movement pressure, rather than keep-away.

His Counter has no built-in attack afterwards, it seems. This is probably to help him work with his lack of projectile-deadening options VS normal Takuma. If it's like Marco, one strength is for high attacks, the other is for low ones.

His Zanretsuken is the old AoF "raising" type, rather than new Takuma's "stick and crumple" variation. Looks like it potentially leads to a free followup at midscreen, one that's probably heavily scaled.

He has a new command normal that we didn't see used in any of these combos, apparently a 3 hit multi punch (sounds like Marco again, as he had a f+C multi hit punch too.)

Also... did we see him link Stand D into Stand C to HD start and continue? That's pretty cool. That would give him 2 standing hard normals into Command normal into special for a BnB after jump-ins? Or maybe it functions like a chain combo, of the normals would leave them too far away for too many followups? Hmmm..

I hope his Kohou break is as easy as Andy's is in this game, and not strict like Marcos. This, plus the aerial HienSK, should give him nice, meterless mid-screen options.

Ahhh, and the return of Shorankyaku! Can he drive cancel this like many other grapples gained on home console? Are the EX or Weak kick versions Instant command grabs? Can he combo into it? I'm very much looking forward to seeing what kind of utility he gets out of this.

His Ranbu seems to start up slower than normal Takuma's. So probably not as good a reversal, forcing you to use counters and DP more, perhaps? The EX version seems to do very generous damage though.

His new DP DM is probably his powered reversal of choice. Current Takuma SERIOUSLY lacks in normal AAs, this Karate has plenty. 2 levels of grounded hits will make it pretty easy to cancel too, which will be helpful.

And lastly, his Neomax. It seems to get scaled pretty badly by preceeding hits, but seems to have decent utility. Current Takuma gets a very expensive, but extremly powerful Anti-air with his, This Takuma gets an easy way to tack damage onto his combos from just about anywhere he sets you up into. While it might lack in character animation, the Chi (Shouldn't really be... actual Fire, right? Just energy) Does take on an exaggerated zoom of the sprites animation, and acts out the whole "Upward arm of destruction, Downward strike of fury!" motion he goes through, which is actually more than I expected. It's actually quite cool. Better than the 2 frame "In energy" image I thought was shown in the leaked preview.

While I like the other 2 DLC guys, this is the one who I actually might make a real team for. He's like a fan-letter to the various representations of Kyokugen over the years, all rolled into 1 character. Looking forward to using him!

Dandy J

some things about mr karate -

- his D not only allows him to link stuff (takumas can be linked from too but its tighter), but its a bit faster. this move is a good anti air actually so thats a nice property.

- jab dp (and ex) are invincible, C is not, and C is the only version that is brakeable. it is easy to brake but still very punishable on block when braked.

- his level 2 being the ranbu is really useful, just for combos and utility in general. its invicnble as youd expect. does 367 damage iirc. empty cancel qcf+P into this is pretty nice, if it hits ground or air the super hits but doesnt cancel on whiff of course.

- never tested the safety on tk air kicks. the D dive one is definitely punishable if not spaced. havent checked to see if you can do them from a backdash, sorry.

- all his ground normals (excluding command normals) are jump cancelable on hit (not block). this leads to starters like close c xx jump ~ tk flying kicks etc. pretty wacky.

- the ex running knee grab thing makes him disappear near the middle of the running animation, granting some invincibility and also tracks/travels full screen. it can even turn around if the opponent switches sides before he reappears (lol). neither version can be drive canceled into air flying kicks from what ive tested.

- the counter is pretty good. i forget if you even have to choose the height, you might not have to. basically you go into the pose, and if something makes contact (even a projectile), youll go into a short uncancelable invincible dash. after the dash there is no recovery, you can block or perform any action. so the opponent would be able to possibly have meaty move out but you can still block or even dp/super through it. i forget what ex counter does it might crumple?

- ex qcf+P is instant guard break. another one i havent tested much but i think there is nothing guaranteed normally, but you should be able to super cancel on block for a guaranteed super.

overall he is a really fun character

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
some things about mr karate - overall he is a really fun character

Ooo, so much good stuff, thanks for sharing, Dandy!

The jump-cancelable ground normals thing is quite an eye opener. Wouldn't even expect that from KoF (o_O).

EX Shorankyaku sounds insane, lol. Much more than I would have expected.

Counter sounds pretty solid, too. Riskier than the Current cheesy HienSK advances spammed online, should be fun to use, and should lead to some nice upsets for all.

I was wondering if he'd get that guardbreak, so it has the properties of 2000s takuma's Haoshokoken Armor break. Cool.

Though the DLC characters may reuse assets and such, they seem to have gone out of their way to offer some very interesting gameplay with them. Good amount of stuff to look forward to! Thanks for the info again!

Oh god, Mr. Karate sounds like a phenomenal character. Might have to save my money and pass on EX Kyo if hes getting that much juice. The wait is already killing me!

shaowebb

Welcome to the party Parallax Scroll. I started showing up here a few days ago myself over Wesker's balance to try playing more than one fighter. I only casualled KoF like you too so maybe we can both get the hang of this together. Gotta say you'll love the streams. Steve and Hotpockets are hilarious on them.

Currently I'm playing a lot of Chin, Vice, and looking to expand. Odd since I always played the Kyo, K', Iori, Andy, Terry, and King characters in older games. Who you liking so far?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Oh god, Mr. Karate sounds like a phenomenal character. Might have to save my money and pass on EX Kyo if hes getting that much juice. The wait is already killing me!

Kyo's pretty sweet too, and I'm not even a Kyo player, lol. All his autoguards make him like a flimsy, melee-based version of Maxima (especially nice if you miss Maxima's rekka combination, lol). He fits into the game systems really well, though I think I prefer regular Kyo's "swiss army knife" style combo approach a bit more, personally. But RekkaKyo seems like a great consideration for those who'd want a new point character, as he seems able to mess with people off his basic toolset.

so does mr. karate make takuma obsolete?

Naaa, I wouldn't say so. I don't even think it's possible. Takuma's strengths lie in his annoying zoning game (HUGE regular fireballs, Hienshippukyaku punishes sloppy rolls easily, and a Neomax that gives him 1 supreme anti-air, when 90% of the time, jumping in on him is the preferred method...), and the ability to basically kill you with 1 combo.

Mr. Karate looks like he'll have somewhat easier to use low-meter and drive options, and have much better overall defenses, but not as spammable a keep away / insta-kill game. They basically look like 2 different classes of characters.

It's great how neither of them is 100% one of the "old" Takuma's, either. So it's not like they just ported 98 Takuma, or 2k series Takuma, and called it a day. They're really fresh ideas. I really like their takes on EX / Renewed characters...

notworksafe

I want Mr. Karate so badly. :(

Still trying to figure out a team. I was using my same team since forever (Athena, Mai, Terry) but after all these years I'm bored with Athena (and a bit with Terry too). So just fiddling around right now. I'm the best with Mai in this game so I plan to keep her. Messing with Vice/Shen/Mai at the moment but not feeling that either.

Any suggestions for fun/interesting rushdown characters? I'm gonna do everyone's trials so I'll all the characters eventually. Just curious who everyone is liking right now.

Welcome to the party Parallax Scroll. I started showing up here a few days ago myself over Wesker's balance to try playing more than one fighter. I only casualled KoF like you too so maybe we can both get the hang of this together. Gotta say you'll love the streams. Steve and Hotpockets are hilarious on them.

Currently I'm playing a lot of Chin, Vice, and looking to expand. Odd since I always played the Kyo, K', Iori, Andy, Terry, and King characters in older games. Who you liking so far?
Right on. I haven't actually picked characters yet. So far I've mostly just tried different control schemes in practice and trial mode to see what works best for me, and started reading up a bit on the game's mechanics.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Yo wussup? Everyone still playing? Got blown up in SoCal but did good in causals/money matches.. Overall my game improved a lot after coming back, learned a ton from those guys.

Southtown Ranbats will resume in January btw. :)

Naaa, I wouldn't say so. I don't even think it's possible. Takuma's strengths lie in his annoying zoning game (HUGE regular fireballs, Hienshippukyaku punishes sloppy rolls easily, and a Neomax that gives him 1 supreme anti-air, when 90% of the time, jumping in on him is the preferred method...), and the ability to basically kill you with 1 combo.

Mr. Karate looks like he'll have somewhat easier to use low-meter and drive options, and have much better overall defenses, but not as spammable a keep away / insta-kill game. They basically look like 2 different classes of characters.

It's great how neither of them is 100% one of the "old" Takuma's, either. So it's not like they just ported 98 Takuma, or 2k series Takuma, and called it a day. They're really fresh ideas. I really like their takes on EX / Renewed characters...

good post, thanks! i'm still missing that reliable anti air for takuma. he's so fragile to jump ins.

Any suggestions for fun/interesting rushdown characters? I'm gonna do everyone's trials so I'll all the characters eventually. Just curious who everyone is liking right now.

have you tried kim? keeping pressure up with him is very fun. i think he's my best character currently. especially fun with lots of meter.

Huh, looks like you can also unlock colors with arcade mode. I've never even touched Saiki outside of it and trials and I just unlocked colors for him.

zlatko

Banned
Tried the demo earlier tonight and wasn't that impressed with the online.

Got 4 bar and 3 bar games. Both had input lag that was noticeable, especially at the start of matches.

Also, a Joe H. did a point blank Tiger Knee on my wake up, so I did a neomax in retaliation with Andy, and Andy went right through his body and my opponent didn't block, and yet it says it missed. :/

Going to hold out for the patch to see how the online shapes up.

Only normal projectiles though, doesn't matter if it's a Psycho Ball or a Power Wave, but EX ones and probably supers will hit you. I don't see it being too useful but it's a neat thing.

Only normal projectiles though, doesn't matter if it's a Psycho Ball or a Power Wave, but EX ones and probably supers will hit you. I don't see it being too useful but it's a neat thing.

yea if u time it correctly, the flame that pops out when he punches is technically a projectile, so it'll snuff out other projectiles. Also, good to hear from you haunts. Have an awesome holiday and looking forward to the the next stage of norcal

Dandy J

some more mr karate stuff -

- none of his flying kicks are really safe. if you space them, you can probably avoid being punished, but off tk at any height, off backdash, etc, they are always significant disadvantage, and if you are anywhere in close C range you are getting punished for sure.

- counter doesnt work vs low moves, A and C version seem the same. ex also doesnt work vs lows. for ex he does the marco upward parry motion thing from garou and it crumples.

- his far c is whiff cancelable, while takumas is not, very useful. qcf+p also gains meter on whiff

Galdelico

Crowd in Esaka stage at night... Oh you, SNKP. XD

Btw, that stage is amazing. So much animation goin on there... The streets in the background show insane little detalis everywhere.

This game has the finest backdrops, really... They are just so good.

haven't seen the esaka stage yet. i still discover details and cameos in backgrounds every day. there is plenty of it.

- none of his flying kicks are really safe. if you space them, you can probably avoid being punished, but off tk at any height, off backdash, etc, they are always significant disadvantage, and if you are anywhere in close C range you are getting punished for sure.

- counter doesnt work vs low moves, A and C version seem the same. ex also doesnt work vs lows. for ex he does the marco upward parry motion thing from garou and it crumples.

- his far c is whiff cancelable, while takumas is not, very useful. qcf+p also gains meter on whiff

thanks for all the information. very helpful.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SNK Playmore provides us with move videos, via their new Blog Update:

Mr. Karate: Shows some of his EX moves... He has a counter that works like Takuma's Neomax? That's pretty creepy? How does he have 2 EX counters? (o_O)

Vice Insta-kill Combos: 3 more for your viewing pleasure.

14 minutes of fights, I think?: I haven't watched this one myself yet. Seems to be another collection of fights, probably with some more memorable moments.

I can deal with this, it's kinda nice how all the EX Characters have some obvious Not-overpowered stuff. Everyones worries about them being overpowered have been calmed.

Yay, more Marco Refs! Any idea how the 190-or-so damage EX counter he pulls off in SNKP's vid shows up?

Very good to hear. He's full of good stuff!

Crowd in Esaka stage at night... Oh you, SNKP. XD

Btw, that stage is amazing. So much animation goin on there... The streets in the background show insane little detalis everywhere.

This game has the finest backdrops, really... They are just so good.

At the top right area, during the day, there's someone on the top floor of the building, spinning a sign... looks like Shingo (still with arm cast), and... I dunno. Modern Day Kyo cheering on Older Kyo? Yuki wearing Kyo's jacket over her? Maybe if I could read the sign he's spinning...

The stage really is fantastically animated. I really like the day the SNK building sign at night had a blue pulse of light swimming in it, and the building window details and day/night transition are just so well done! Really a great homage to the BG work of the past. A shame how other modern fighters don't seem to attempt such bold details. They just split them into seperate stages, to pad the stage select screens...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I got the Esaka stage while playing Online (Nice touch by SNKP) and when i saw the SNK Building and all the details ... ;__;

A couple of the stages are truly some of the best works of 2D art you can find today.

Galdelico

At the top right area, during the day, there's someone on the top floor of the building, spinning a sign... looks like Shingo (still with arm cast), and... I dunno. Modern Day Kyo cheering on Older Kyo? Yuki wearing Kyo's jacket over her? Maybe if I could read the sign he's spinning...
Didn't even notice the little detail you mention... I'll take a closer look tonight.

Man I love this kind of stuff... Yesterday, for the first time since I got the game (day one), I spotted Cheng poking behind the indian crowd. :D

Also, speaking about Esaka: did you see that awesome Haomaru sprite? It's way more detailed than other cameos, to the point I thought how glorious would be a new SamSpirits with this art direction.

alstein

Didn't even notice the little detail you mention... I'll take a closer look tonight.

Man I love this kind of stuff... Yesterday, for the first time since I got the game (day one), I spotted Cheng poking behind the indian crowd. :D

Also, speaking about Esaka: did you see that awesome Haomaru sprite? It's way more detailed than other cameos, to the point I thought how glorious would be a new SamSpirits with this art direction.

that would turn me into Fersis in terms of hype. SamSho is my real SNK love, not KOF.

alstein

Sen must have been heartbreaking.

It was somewhat, though since it was 360 only I never got to play it.

I'd love to see Examu get their hands on SamSho again. Arcana Heart in some ways to me is a semi-successor. (you can see the influence in some areas)

If HCB~F is a shortcut for the DP motion how the hell do I a move that requires a HCB~F motion and not have a the DP come out? For example, Vice's gorefest is HCB~F + P but sometimes her DP special comes out.

who has the best dying voice

men - Hawaii Jai
women - King

who has the best stun voice

definitely between yuri athena and mature.

I think terry says "problem" iirc. lol I think.

Then you got Moriya in Mr Karate's background. HD SamSho/Last Blade would be glorious. Will never happen, though. Seems like KOF13 got pirated a lot through the PC and lots of folks heard the netcode is bad on console and didn't buy it :( I just hope KOF continues.

Top Bottom