• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

alstein

GrayFoxPL said:
I love unlocking shit in games.

I'd pay money to not have to unlock shit in games.

Criminal Upper said:
Why are people complaining about unlocking single player stuff?

It's not like there's gonna be anything else to do in the game.

hauer2.jpg

It's time not spent playing a fighting game like God intended us to play it- finding a human opponent and playing them.

OSHAN

SAB CA said:
Because they want their whole project appreciated, and for you to not drop a game before giving it a real chance. It's no more annoying than needing to channelsurf to configure a TV, or setting the clocks when you get a new electrical appliance, really... unless it's like Blazblue, which requires you to beat frickin' everything to unlock Mu. That's very annoying, and takes it much too far.

Channel surf to configure a TV?

Buh?

And I agree that unlocking shit is bullshit. I bought the game ... give me everything I paid for; don't make me jump through hoops.

Just put an option in there for unlocks. Don't use it if you prefer unlocking shit. Done and done.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
shidoshi said:
No. A thousand times no. If I've paid you money, then don't sit there thinking you can dictate how I have to play your game (in those terms). If I never want to touch single player, that's my right.

I tend to side with the creators here, provided their demands are reasonable. But the situation is getting prickly, so I won't go any further with that portion, lol.

I totally gave up on Soul Calibur IV because of its ridiculous requirements of playing hours and hours of single player in order to unlock custom character pieces.

I think a lot of that was also unlockable by playing multiplayer in IV's case, but maybe I've forgotten. I remember it all eventually became purchaseable by the end...

I gave up on the original Street Fighter IV because half of the roster was locked away from the start.

They did lock away a bit more than needed, but I really don't mind that for a first iteration release. It was fun to have those "DUDE, did you unlock Akuma yet?!?!" Convos again, was like playing PS1-era fighters all over again.

If I want to just jump right into multiplayer and have the full experience, then let me. If you say I have to see the entire game first, then screw you—you're not getting my money.

At least sample it, as is being done here. I agree, having to beat every path of every mode with every character or something to get a character is pushing it. But saying "Hey, try out my story mode, there's content here unused in any other mode, that we made, that we want you to see first! Try it out for 15 minutes, and we'll give you a character unlock!" seems pretty fair to me.

Fersis said:
SKill said that the japanese players like to unlock characters. (He was talking about MvC3 unlockable characters)

It's just... part of fighting games, to me, as I'm sure it is to many of them. As familiar as a qcf motion, lol. I'm glad it hasn't entirely disappeared, in this age of A.D.D gaming and DLC.

OSHAN said:
Channel surf to configure a TV?

Buh?

It was called such on my TV, lol. The configuration that finds all available channels for your TV connection. On both TV's I've used recently, out of box, it required that automatic configuration, before it even let me watch TV, or game...

I remember once talking with a person who thought their TV only had like 10 channels, because the previous owner only had those saved to memory, lol. "Man, this TV sucks!" I really had to wonder about that for a while... at least I understand WHY they force such things, after that, haha.

alstein

shidoshi said:
No. A thousand times no. If I've paid you money, then don't sit there thinking you can dictate how I have to play your game (in those terms). If I never want to touch single player, that's my right. I totally gave up on Soul Calibur IV because of its ridiculous requirements of playing hours and hours of single player in order to unlock custom character pieces. I gave up on the original Street Fighter IV because half of the roster was locked away from the start.

If I want to just jump right into multiplayer and have the full experience, then let me. If you say I have to see the entire game first, then screw you—you're not getting my money.

It was possible to get the 30 acheivements needed to unlock all the costumes, without playing SP. That said, I do agree with you entirely that we should decide how we want to play the game, there shouldn't be just one path to get things, and the paths should be equivalent in effort.

I hate unlocks as a general rule, and I would pay a small sum to not unlock in a game I like.

OSHAN

SAB CA said:
It was called such on my TV, lol. The configuration that finds all available channels for your TV connection. On both TV's I've used recently, out of box, it required that automatic configuration, before it even let me watch TV, or game...

I remember once talking with a person who thought their TV only had like 10 channels, because the previous owner only had those saved to memory, lol. "Man, this TV sucks!" I really had to wonder about that for a while... at least I understand WHY they force such things, after that, haha.

Ohhh, I thought you meant the settings. Gotcha.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Skilletor said:
I can appreciate that. I find it boring. My problem is characters as unlocks. Unlock colors, stages, music, whatever else. I don't think characters should be held hostage for the sake of single player modes.

Agreed. It's always been ridiculous to me that a genre made with multiplayer in mind forces the player to spend time in single player modes simply to unlock content that should be available for use in the first place.

The worst used to be Tekken, where you could have half the cast (or more) all locked. Yes, it was easy to unlock everyone, but it was such a waste of time.

Back when I worked at a mom n' pop game shop years ago, we'd usually have a memory card on hand with everything unlocked for the customers who'd buy fighting games.

GrayFoxPL

Damn, gamers these days, so lazy.

"I want everything on a plater. I paid for the game, I don't want to play the game to unlock stuff!"

Truly depressing.

I love game rewarding me for, you know, playing the fucking game.

Lyte Edge

SAB CA said:
I think a lot of that was also unlockable by playing multiplayer in IV's case, but maybe I've forgotten. I remember it all eventually became purchaseable by the end...

Yup, Namco was smart and let you unlock character parts through multiplayer as well. I never touched single player in that game and had everything available pretty quickly.

alstein

The funniest thing I ever saw in regards to this was a tourney paying someone to grind through singleplayer to unlock characters in SFIV because no one wanted to waste time doing it.

OSHAN

GrayFoxPL said:

"I want everything on a plater. I paid for the game, I don't want to play the game to unlock stuff!"

Truly depressing.

It has nothing to do with being lazy; it has everything to do with giving me content I paid for up front.

I'm not asking for all the endings to be available at the start, though frankly I wouldn't give a shit if they were, but I am asking for characters, colors, and costumes to be available.

I never even played as Gil in my copy of 3rd Strike for Dreamcast.

EDIT: MK is the most recent example of nonsense. I don't know how many hours I've sunk into multiplayer, but certainly enough to unlock everything in the krypt, but no coins are rewarded. What up with that?

OSHAN said:
MK is the most recent example of nonsense. I don't know how many hours I've sunk into multiplayer, but certainly enough to unlock everything in the krypt, but no coins are rewarded. What up with that?
It's not nonsense because the single player portion is good enough to warrant playing.

OSHAN

Slamtastic said:
It's not nonsense because the single player portion is good enough to warrant playing.

I beat the game with every character, and played through story mode. It is still not enough to unlock everything in krypt.

alstein

Slamtastic said:

Opinion, I thought it wasn't bad, best SP mode I've ever played, but I'd still rather have spent the time playing people (or would have if the netcode wasn't a disaster)

Lyte Edge

GrayFoxPL said:

Truly depressing.

It's not "these days." The content-unlocking debate has been going-on since the 32-bit era introduced it in fighting games.

It's tedious to have to sit there and spend an hour or two beating up the stupid CPU just to complete the character roster, especially when all players may want to do is jump right into multi either offline or online.

Skilletor

GrayFoxPL said:

Truly depressing.

You know what's rewarding in a fighting game?

Winning.

I get that through practice.

With the character I want to use.

Versus real human opponents.

Truly depressing if you think otherwise.

AAK

OSHAN said:
I beat the game with every character, and played through story mode. It is still not enough to unlock everything in krypt.

Play Story and Arcade mode on Harder difficulty settings ;) I got more than enough Koins to get everything in the Krypt and I never completed everybody's campaign on Arcade. But I love unlocking things, anything that rewards you for completing something is a plus in my book.

EDIT: But keep everything available in vs mode though please

sleepykyo

Slamtastic said:

Regardless of the quality of single player campaign, some players are primarily interested in fighting games for competition and would rather dive into training mode/mp instead.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Skilletor said:

Winning.

BusterWolf-1.gif

edit: holy shit never do a google search fro buster wolf w/o safe search on. lmfao. WAT

GhaleonQ

4 questions for the anti-unlocking people from someone who loves it and even tolerates the bad stuff (Check out my 100 percent Virtua Fighter 5 file, please! Because it was a waste of time!).

Do you still dislike extensive single-player modes if the a.i. is such that it forces you to be creative, fight differently, and experiment with new characters and styles?

Do you only dislike single-player unlocking when you're familiar with the gameplay? If this was The King Of Fighters 1 instead of 13 and if you hadn't played previous S.N.K. titles, would you appreciate it as an extended training mode?

Doesn't a game like The King Of Fighters, which is based around set teams and a bit of a plot, lead you to think of it as more than just "versus edit teams" bashing each other?

Would/Have you disliked an extensive single-player mode that had a good story?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
MrBeggar said:
sup
sorry i was busy playing MGSPW. lol.

we're both in toronto but still a good hr from each other.
enjoys
Neat.
If you get to play with other folks let us know about the netcode. ^__^

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
luka said:
What is most of GAF going to be getting this for? I could go it for either machine.

auSt3l.jpg

>_>
EEEEWWW
MI alternate costumes were nuts. Thats Final Fantasy tier for sure...
* Gets Kagari'ed ' *

Sorry for the double post.

Skilletor said:

Winning.

Ether

alstein

GhaleonQ said:
4 questions for the anti-unlocking people from someone who loves it and even tolerates the bad stuff (Check out my 100 percent Virtua Fighter 5 file, please! Because it was a waste of time!).

Do you still dislike extensive single-player modes if the a.i. is such that it forces you to be creative, fight differently, and experiment with new characters and styles?

Do you only dislike single-player unlocking when you're familiar with the gameplay? If this was The King Of Fighters 1 instead of 13 and if you hadn't played previous S.N.K. titles, would you appreciate it as an extended training mode?

Doesn't a game like The King Of Fighters, which is based around set teams and a bit of a plot, lead you to think of it as more than just "versus edit teams" bashing each other?

a) I wish AI's would do that. It's impossible for a console AI to be that advanced. Even the VF AI's could be exploited.

b) No. The best training mode is the VF4Evo tutorial.

c) No. Save that stuff for the braindead forum trolls you get on some sites.

d) I wouldn't dislike it, but I don't want to be forced to play it.

MrBeggar

fighting random ppl net code is pretty much same...so far
my main beef is standing C forwardA/B into qcf A/C type comboss always come out
as F, HCF P..
...... both on stick and pad.
maybe its just me but im curious to see if anyone has that problem.

Fersis

MrBeggar said:
as F, HCF P..
Have you only played against 'green bar' connections?

TreIII

@GhaleonQ

I have no problem with such things, provided that a) they're OPTIONAL and b) none of the content relating to what should be ready for Vs. out of the box is sectioned off so that I MUST play it in order to get it.

For example, I loved VF4's Kumite mode. It wasn't only fun, it was a nice way of teaching me how to play the game even better. But it was optional, and I didn't need to play it in order to access anything relating to character unlocks or whatever.

Even the likes of Guilty usually had Visual Novel-like story modes that you can play through if you so wished. But at least per GG:AC+, nothing relating to the core experience was sectioned off in that case, either. It was just there to be enjoyed by those who wanted it. Which is the way it should be.

TreIII said:
@GhaleonQ

I have no problem with such things, provided that a) they're OPTIONAL and b) none of the content relating to what should be ready for Vs. out of the box is sectioned off so that I MUST play it in order to get it.

For example, I loved VF4's Kumite mode. It wasn't only fun, it was a nice way of teaching me how to play the game even better. But it was optional, and I didn't need to play it in order to access anything relating to character unlocks or whatever.

Even the likes of Guilty usually had Visual Novel-like story modes that you can play through if you so wished. But at least per GG:AC+, nothing relating to the core experience was sectioned off in that case, either. It was just there to be enjoyed by those who wanted it. Which is the way it should be.
Yep. Well said.

Fersis

My two cents:
Im cool with unlockables that are not part of the 'competitive' experience.
I dont want to grind for 10 hours in a weird game mode to get an extra bear to play with it (Hi Tekken)
Now.. unlocking stuff like stages and artwork? OH YES PLEASE!

Oh and for those angry at the unlockables Billy and Saiki: LOL GEMS!

Skilletor

GhaleonQ said:

1. Never played an AI that did that in a fighting game. I don't think it's possible. I'd love to be proven wrong.
2. No. I don't want to unlock a character ever. If it's a brand new game, I want to go into training mode and mess around with every character until I find one I like.
3. I couldn't care less about stories in videogames. That goes triply true for a fighting game. My ideal story for a fighting game would be: You think you're the strongest. These guys don't. Prove them wrong.
4. See above.

Dizzy-4U

I'm ok with unlocking things as long as I can do it in VS mode. Playing fighting games in single player is usually boring as hell.

GhaleonQ said:

1. Good AI would be good to have.

2. I'd prefer a separate tutorial mode for that.

3. No, KoF still has as bad/as much of a lack of a story as any other fighting game.

4. Liked.

The story mode helped me get my full money's worth of MK9, even when first PSN was down, then the netcode was ass. Whereas if this game doesn't deliver on online, I'll feel like I wasted money. If MvC3 vanilla had a coherent story mode with voiced cutscenes and predefined characters at certain parts based on the story, I would have felt a lot less like I got ripped off, and would have added whatever the length of that mode was to my 20-ish hours of play before dropping the game. (Without getting into the fact that the core gameplay design makes me enjoy playing MK9 more in story or training mode moreso than any of the other fighting titles this gen that I can play against humans because the online is comparatively less busted. There's some cruel irony in that regard.)

Someone earlier said that winning is fun. I agree. And winning against the CPU can be fun too, if you have motivation through well done story content. And its easier to do to boot!

Skilletor

Slamtastic said:
Someone earlier said that winning is fun. I agree. And winning against the CPU can be fun too, if you have motivation through well done story content. And its easier to do to boot!

Strong opponents only. I'm looking to improve my game, not stroke my ego. :p

mollipen

SAB CA said:
At least sample it, as is being done here. I agree, having to beat every path of every mode with every character or something to get a character is pushing it. But saying "Hey, try out my story mode, there's content here unused in any other mode, that we made, that we want you to see first! Try it out for 15 minutes, and we'll give you a character unlock!" seems pretty fair to me.

But I don't want to play single player. I mean, there's no other way to say it, and I should have that choice. When I bought Grand Theft Auto IV, I played maybe 1/4th of the campaign. All of my time was spent with online, and that's all I cared about. If that's what I buy a game for, I shouldn't be punished. I don't have hour and hours to put into these games, and when I do have time, I want to be spending that time actually playing and enjoying the game. If I was still a child, maybe I'd enjoy games forcing me to put in so much effort just to get to the point where I'll have fun, but I'm not. If a game is going to waste my time like that, I'll just move on to something else.

Games should literally have the option to unlock everything instantly, or as you play. That way, people who like unlocks can still have that challenge, while people like me who don't don't have to deal with that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
shidoshi said:
But I don't want to play single player. I mean, there's no other way to say it, and I should have that choice. When I bought Grand Theft Auto IV, I played maybe 1/4th of the campaign. All of my time was spent with online, and that's all I cared about. If that's what I buy a game for, I shouldn't be punished. I don't have hour and hours to put into these games, and when I do have time, I want to be spending that time actually playing and enjoying the game. If I was still a child, maybe I'd enjoy games forcing me to put in so much effort just to get to the point where I'll have fun, but I'm not. If a game is going to waste my time like that, I'll just move on to something else.

Games should literally have the option to unlock everything instantly, or as you play. That way, people who like unlocks can still have that challenge, while people like me who don't don't have to deal with that.

Well too bad, neener neener! ;)

Seriously though, I understand the issue, I just don't 100% agree. I do strongly agree, however, in multiple unlock methods though, as mentioned. It gets silly when you spent just as many hours in multiplayer, as the single player campaign, and don't have access to the gameplay elements. You might not see everything first-hand, but you've been among and with the work long enough to truly appreciate the creative vision and intent by that point, so lets toss those unlocks your way as thanks!

KoF XIII is apparently going to have downloadable unlocks for everything when it's released, so... while I liked codes back in the day (and still think they have their place!), I think it's nice, to some degree, that they offer this option. Time is money, so money can save time! Or something paradoxical like that!

An "unlock everything" button at the start of a game, or in the options menu, would probably totally destroy modern gaming as we know it, however! "Man, that's all the game has to offer? Pssh, saw it in the first hour!" Trade-ins would soar, and people would cave in to knee-jerk reactions really easily, without even giving the game a chance to grow it's way into your good graces. At least when you bummed a PS1 save off a local friend, the friend had gone through it, and could describe it to you! Now, if saves were not locked, people would just DL complete saves en masse, in anonimity, and end up with the same knee-jerk conclusions...

"See, this is why we can't have nice things!"; it's a bit annoying, but I find it helpful to remember that consumer products are made with the lowest-possible denominator considered, when being produced for business. This stuff would all work so much better if every customer was a well-read, thoughtful, considerate individual, or something equally ideal.

Anyway, I won't say anything more on it for now! :) Points well taken, I think it was a nice convo overall. I just like to remind people, every once in a while, that unlocks are very appreciated, especially when done well, and not everyone feels negatively about them.

shidoshi said:

Wait, so...you don't like single player at all?

Jesus.

Skilletor

Criminal Upper said:

Jesus.

I don't in fightin games. I literally have not played a single match vs. the CPU in SSF4. I had somebody else unlock characters for me in MvC3. I will not play single player in UMvC3.

I won't play single player in KoF13. I don't care about the characters you have to unlock. If they were characters I wanted to play, I wouldn't buy the game. Plain and simple.

MrBeggar said:
as F, HCF P..
That's a little strange, it seems a little bit too weird for it to be a dropped input especially since it happens all the time. Try inputting things a little slower.

Skilletor said:
I don't in fightin games. I literally have not played a single match vs. the CPU in SSF4. I had somebody else unlock characters for me in MvC3. I will not play single player in UMvC3.

I won't play single player in KoF13. I don't care about the characters you have to unlock. If they were characters I wanted to play, I wouldn't buy the game. Plain and simple.
That's a little extreme, but to each his own.

Skilletor said:

Yeah, but Shidoshi is talking massive single player games like GTA. GTA's multiplayer was medicore at best, so I find that strange.

People not playing single player portions of fighting games is common, and I can undertstand that. But you have to fight Billy like, once in the story mode.

I can't imagine that being altogether taxing.

alstein

Criminal Upper said:

Jesus.

I don't either in this genre.

What's funny is I don't like MP in any other genre.

Unlocking Billy/Saiki doesn't seem too offensive though compared to what other games are like.

Wait, can we not set the game to short rounds / one match wins to unlock crap?

All this pissing and moaning, and Sea Manky and I unlocked all the crappy characters in SF4 when I rented it in one afternoon. Then we started playing.

Granted SF4 is the example of doing everything wrong, but locking stock characters? LAME! I could see for hidden / new characters; but returning cast need not be locked. Then again SF need not have polygons, input assist, Ultard moves, 1 frame links, etc. etc.

I'm just glad they're not making me pay $5 for Billy Kane.

Fersis

The Take Out Bandit said:
Wait, can we not set the game to short rounds / one match wins to unlock crap?

All this pissing and moaning, and Sea Manky and I unlocked all the crappy characters in SF4 when I rented it in one afternoon. Then we started playing.

Granted SF4 is the example of doing everything wrong, but locking stock characters? LAME! I could see for hidden / new characters; but returning cast need not be locked. Then again SF need not have polygons, input assist, Ultard moves, 1 frame links, etc. etc.

I'm just glad they're not making me pay $5 for Billy Kane.
LOLZ GEMZ

You know i really really like Capcom FG games but UMvC3 releasing less than a year after MvC3 and 'mashing buttons is a mechanic' and SFxT gems makes me sigh
But props to them for trying new stuff.

Top Bottom