• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

d8gwy.jpg

8JRj8.jpg

the ideal mai in these shots.

the boob job wasn't necessary.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ugh. Moves that require rapid pressing of a button shouldn't be allowed in fighting games. Between Super-Skrull's Tenderizer in Mahvel and Joe's Bakuretsuken, I'm completely unable to do combos I'd otherwise be able to do. I just can't press a button that quickly without choking up on the controller, which renders me unable to do anything BUT rapidly press a button. I cheesed my way through Joe's Trial 3 using turbo, but Trial 4 is just impossible for me. =/

Grokbu

Ugh. Moves that require rapid pressing of a button shouldn't be allowed in fighting games. Between Super-Skrull's Tenderizer in Mahvel and Joe's Bakuretsuken, I'm completely unable to do combos I'd otherwise be able to do. I just can't press a button that quickly without choking up on the controller, which renders me unable to do anything BUT rapidly press a button. I cheesed my way through Joe's Trial 3 using turbo, but Trial 4 is just impossible for me. =/
A tip is to press multiple buttons. Now I'm not sure how many times you have to press a button to activate a mash attack, but let's say that it's three times; for Clark's A-version vulcan punch (mash punch) you could do: A, C, A. If you get the EX version it might help to do: C, A, A, just make sure to do the last button press with the strength you want.

I agree with you though. I don't like them either.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
A tip is to press multiple buttons. Now I'm not sure how many times you have to press a button to activate a mash attack, but let's say that it's three times; for Clark's A-version vulcan punch (mash punch) you could do: A, C, A. If you get the EX version it might help to do: C, A, A, just make sure to do the last button press with the strength you want.

I agree with you though. I don't like them either.

Hm, good advice, thanks.

Few other random "HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THIS" inquiries:

- Linking Iori's LP into HP. This shouldn't be that hard, but for some reason I'm totally failing at it.

- Leona's D, U+P into B, F+P. Damn this game's weird command buffer system.

- Doing Ash's D+LK, B+LK, B, F+LK without doing QCB+LK. Argh, this game and charge characters

Also, I think I've had enough Yuri practice for today. SAIHA SAIHA SAIHA SAIHA SAIHA will be ringing in my ears for days to come.

alstein

The links are hard, but mostly only a minor bonus to combo damage, unlike SF4.

That said, inputs in this game aren't well-designed in comparison to the other good KOF games. 98 and 02 had well-designed inputs and I never had problems doing stuff except for normal to DM combos, which should be hard.

XIII is a different story-this game reminds me of 96 in terms of difficulty of some inputs.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Both EX Kyo and Mr Karate releases 1/10/12 on PSN
Will buy... and my color unlock too!!

Will update the OT later today.

The links are hard, but mostly only a minor bonus to combo damage, unlike SF4.

That said, inputs in this game aren't well-designed in comparison to the other good KOF games. 98 and 02 had well-designed inputs and I never had problems doing stuff except for normal to DM combos, which should be hard.

XIII is a different story-this game reminds me of 96 in terms of difficulty of some inputs.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe it's because I use two different controllers for 98 and XIII, but I think 13 requires a little less precision in inputs. You have hit the last direction in both games for stuff to come out. 13 lets you be a little lazy and sluggish in how you do so, though, while 98 requires both quickness and precision.

It's better to input stuff in a somewhat delayed matter in this game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Input buffer is not cleared when a command move is recognized, im sure thats the root of many of our issues.
ie: Do Yuri's DP+K and 'hastly' press K.

The Input buffer is not cleared when a command move is recognized, im sure thats the root of many of our issues.
ie: Do Yuri's DP+K and 'hastly' press K.

I wasn't really arguing about that, it's problematic for sure, but I can see why it's there. Especially when doing DCs with Liz.

Been playing the demo and kicking ass online. I'm having fun but every match so far has had very noticable lag. This makes me nervous about picking it up for online play.

Been playing the demo and kicking ass online. I'm having fun but every match so far has had very noticable lag. This makes me nervous about picking it up for online play.

I dunno, I've logged over 600 played online matches and while there are some issues with varying quality for the three bar connections so long as you keep to the golden "3-4 bars or GTFO" rule then by all means the online is playable. Not GREAT by any means but playable, I've had great experiences with the four bar people I've come across. PSN here.

How's the online community in Europe?

Currently living in Germany

Still hit and miss though overall impressions are better so you're more likely to find someone to play with as opposed to the US.

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't recall the exact inputs since I don't play those characters at all, but two days ago I was shown something amazing. Basically, K', DuoLon and Shen have HD mode guard crush true blockstrings that lead into high damage combos, with Shen being able to 100% if he has 4 bars (might be five, I'm not sure). In other words you're screwed if you don't have meter left to guard cancel roll/blowback.

Olaeh

I'm a long time KOF player but losing to scrubs online with like 6 wins. I know how to drive/super cancel, hop, roll, neomax, etc... It's like I'm just steadily getting worse at competitive video games as I age. Oh well~

And o.o at that Mai! O.O

alstein

I'm a long time KOF player but losing to scrubs online with like 6 wins. I know how to drive/super cancel, hop, roll, neomax, etc... It's like I'm just steadily getting worse at competitive video games as I age. Oh well~

And o.o at that Mai! O.O

Could be lag, running into monsters, bunch of things.

Don't judge your game solely off of online, especially when it's mediocre like it is in this game. That said, just knowing the moves doesn't make you good. I'm terrible at most of those things, yet I win fairly consistently online, and the one tourney I went to it I didn't embarass myself.

elisabeth's trials are a bitch. any tips for trial 2? i'm too slow for the last grab.

i think you can get far with fighting fundamentals in online currently. many players are still learning how to play kof. it's a good time to start out with the series.

Fersis

So any good advices for the 'mash the punch button!' moves using DualShock 3 ?

elisabeth's trials are a bitch. any tips for trial 2? i'm too slow for the last grab.

Just gotta be really fast. I just did it a few minutes ago.

On the other hand, does any one have any tips on how to land links? I absolutely loath linking low normals to other normals. Specifically, D LK into D HP for Shen. Any tips?

Grokbu

I'm not sure if this is a requirement, but it works for me. When I cancel from her command dash, my input goes to neutral before inputting the next move. As for the timing, well... You kinda get used to it after a while, not sure what else to say.

EDIT: Oh, you mentioned that you're not fast enough. What goes wrong? Does the command throw whiff or does it simply not come out?

Just gotta be really fast. I just did it a few minutes ago.

On the other hand, does any one have any tips on how to land links? I absolutely loath linking low normals to other normals. Specifically, D LK into D HP for Shen. Any tips?

Just to make sure, do you mean "links" in the street fighter sense, as in waiting for a move animation to finish and then hitting the button for the next move? I've heard a few KOF players use "links" to describe what I would normally call "cancels" or "chains" and it gets confusing.

Grokbu

Just to make sure, do you mean "links" in the street fighter sense, as in waiting for a move animation to finish and then hitting the button for the next move? I've heard a few KOF players use "links" to describe what I would normally call "cancels" or "chains" and it gets confusing.
I know that this wasn't directed at me, but what he described are links as in waiting for a move's animation to end before executing another.

I'm not sure to be honest. I think that it is the same across the board in fighting games.

It might just be the lack of English resources on KOF in general adding to the confusion, but I know I've heard it used that way more than once.

I don't know why people say this so much. This game has the most lenient buffer window in any game I've ever played. I get so many accidental moves that would never happen to me in other games. With Leona, it's almost impossible to just walk up after a charge. I can go almost 3 character lengths and still get a side slash after pressing B or D. Not to mention going back to capcom games means you'll have to completely relearn how to do links again since this game's hold button buffer holds your hand through all that.

If anything, I've had to do extra shit just to NOT get stupid shortcuts/buffers messing me up.
I say it because I pretty much learned the TE stick using Marvel 3. I don't play Street Fighter. Going to KOF13 requires a lot of skill using the stick that I never had to develop playing only Marvel.

What a link is should be same across the board. I think some people are mistaking chains with wierd timing for links, i.e. chaining jumping normals to heavy attacks.

But isn't that a link, as you're not really cancelling the jump normal into the heavy?

-Edited

Well, I guess that can be considered a link now, huh. I just don't like associating it with links because they are usually considered to be difficult. I don't think comboing from jumps is hard, just different.

Grokbu

Well, I guess that can be considered a link now, huh. I just don't like associating it with links because they are usually considered to be difficult. I don't think comboing from jumps is hard, just different.
Ah, ok. I might have understood links incorrectly myself, though. What you wrote actually got me thinking, heh.

Skilletor

1 frame links are considered difficult. Not all links are 1 frame, and the terminology is the same in every fighter I've played.

I'm not sure if this is a requirement, but it works for me. When I cancel from her command dash, my input goes to neutral before inputting the next move. As for the timing, well... You kinda get used to it after a while, not sure what else to say.

EDIT: Oh, you mentioned that you're not fast enough. What goes wrong? Does the command throw whiff or does it simply not come out?

it doesn't come out or it does come out, but too late. i'm not good with that motion when tight timing is required.

Shadow780

How the heck are you supposed to do this link?

I'm playing Mai & 99% of the time it doesn't link (in training mode even mind you) :mad:

I find it easier to do dB dA and dC in similar timings, so do it slower for dB dA, the sequence won't be too awkward when you link it to dC.

It's definitely harder than rekka Kyo's dB into st.C.

Fersis

If theres no cancelling whatsoever its a link.

I say it because I pretty much learned the TE stick using Marvel 3. I don't play Street Fighter. Going to KOF13 requires a lot of skill using the stick that I never had to develop playing only Marvel.

You'll find the same thing playing any new fighting game series, sf4, tekken, soul calibur, etc. etc.

Once you're over getting acquainted with the mechanics, playing the game at a functional level is extremely easy. The introductory level is just so rough cuz it's awkward and different from everything else.

I play storm/wolves/sent in marvel and moving/flying/mixing up with storm and sent is harder than anything I have to do in KoF.

You'll find the same thing playing any new fighting game series, sf4, tekken, soul calibur, etc. etc.

Once you're over getting acquainted with the mechanics, playing the game at a functional level is extremely easy. The introductory level is just so rough cuz it's awkward and different from everything else.

I play storm/wolves/sent in marvel and moving/flying/mixing up with storm and sent is harder than anything I have to do in KoF.

Yeah, I don't use those characters in Marvel, largely because their stuff is too difficult for me to execute.

Top Bottom