• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Ok so if i buy this from usa or asia I'd have to have a psn account from the same region to get the dlc right? How many dlc characters are there? I'm thinking it might be easier if i pick it up on xbox...

if you buy the asian version, you'll have to use your asian PSN account and buy from there. DLC is tied to regions most of the time.

alstein

My bug is I can't get colors unlocked period with some chars no matter how much I play them. This includes my mains, which is more infuriating.

Yet I have all of Lizzy's colors go figure.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
No color unlock today :(

Maybe next week! GET HAIP!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You mean awesome meter management metagame, right?

It is my opinion that meter management makes everything better.

Games
Life
Sex

Everything.
Have you been hanging out with gootecks?

I suck at execution in both games, but I suck at Marvel more, so I'd say Marvel is harder.

That said 13's controls aren't as good as 98 or XI's.

I really don't agree with this.

If that tier list is any indication, I don't think we should worry about who we play. Terry honestly looks really solid to me in videos.

who else other than myself and N4US (and haunts, I think?) are from NorCal? J/W.

I've been playing this game absolutely non-stop for the past week. TAKUMA, my goodness.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
i thought i could stick with 3 characters. now i'm playing billy, robert, iori and a bit of clark on top of my original team. someone help me.
I thought I had settled on my 3 but forgot how much I liked Leona. But then there's King & Vice too. I've got 2 down at least--Clark & Takuma.

Anybody wants some easy wins, I'll be on tomorrow as wife & kids are bouncin' for the day.

On Live: illegalwiretap

2 Inquries

Are we done with DLC characters or does SNK have something else up their sleeves?

And is there going to be a pack with all 3 DLC characters at some point?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

It's great to see how much info and detail and practical application they give us for these things. I continue to be impressed with how deep into the game they've figured their characters; I like it much better than the "throw into the wild, and be suprised at what happens!" approach certain other fighters give off, lol.

There's still enough depth so that "discovery" can happen, but at the same time, there's enough groundwork laid so that you can get excited for the character, and start planning how to put them into your game.

I'm really looking forward to Karate, I really enjoy characters that offer unique air control in this game (Robert being able to do his command crossup, and then JUMP BACK into the air with a hop C into EX Air Drive Kick is the latest fun), so jump-cancelable normals + Marco elements make Mr. Karate a pretty solid lock for me...

2 Inquries

Are we done with DLC characters or does SNK have something else up their sleeves?

And is there going to be a pack with all 3 DLC characters at some point?

We don't know. I hope SNKP knows by now, but they're not letting US know!

As far as a collection pack... I wouldn't bet on it. Of course it's possible, but bundling DLC isn't really that likely for smaller corporations...

It's great to see how much info and detail and practical application they give us for these things. I continue to be impressed with how deep into the game they've figured their characters; I like it much better than the "throw into the wild, and be suprised at what happens!" approach certain other fighters give off, lol.

There's still enough depth so that "discovery" can happen, but at the same time, there's enough groundwork laid so that you can get excited for the character, and start planning how to put them into your game.

I'm really looking forward to Karate, I really enjoy characters that offer unique air control in this game (Robert being able to do his command crossup, and then JUMP BACK into the air with a hop C into EX Air Drive Kick is the latest fun), so jump-cancelable normals + Marco elements make Mr. Karate a pretty solid lock for me...

We don't know. I hope SNKP knows by now, but they're not letting US know!

As far as a collection pack... I wouldn't bet on it. Of course it's possible, but bundling DLC isn't really that likely for smaller corporations...

SNK won't tell us because we're the unwashed American masses. We buy more copies of their game, but they must remain loyal to GLORIOUS NIPPON!

Fersis

KOF is reborn, this is probably the most popular and well received KOF in the series.
SNKP needs a goddamn community manager to get involved with the community.

If someone at Atlus is reading please tell SNKP that Fighting Games are not done once you release them. We want our SKill!

Oh and Mr Karate looks crazy.

Olaeh

I've gotten a lot better. Switched my team up to Raiden, Ash, and Hwa.

I do Hwa's backbreaker a few times so the next time I do a super, my opponent usually jumps into a dragon dance. Even though there's no jump animation, people usually still fall for it for some reason.

I think the problem is I'm always paired up against guys with 90%+ win ratios and more than 10x as many wins under their belt. I only win 40-41% of the time with only 125 or so wins :/

SoulFist

How is the netcode on the 360 version? I want to pick this up, but online is my only form of competition. how is it compared to SSF4AE?

How is the netcode on the 360 version? I want to pick this up, but online is my only form of competition. how is it compared to SSF4AE?

Probably not worth it if all you have is online. You might want to wait and see if the patch changes anything(it doesn't seem likely at this point though).

Probably not worth it if all you have is online. You might want to wait and see if the patch changes anything(it doesn't seem likely at this point though).

i have a different experience. if you are on a wired connection and filter the bad apples out and befriend good players with good connections, the netcode is fine. you shouldn't play fighting games on wireless connections anyway. i'm on PS3 btw.

Edgeward

alstein

I'm guessing part of the problem with the online is quality of connection needs to be super-good.

From NC, I had a four-bar match with Philly. NC to NC 50 miles apart is 3 bar, and NC to Atlanta is 2 bar.

Maybe we should be blaming Shitty-ass Time Warner and their monopolies as much as KOF.

You should. It's a really fun game despite the netcode being ass most times online. Hopefully we'll see some tweaks with it in the future. Wish I had time for the game. Every little bit of time I get in to play is fantastic.
My cousin bought the game after we watched the SCR archive footage for top 16 before Skullgirls and he is loving the game way way more than XII. Now this game is a must buy.

It's only a matter of time now!
Its not that bad. Just set it to search for player matches with 4 bars only and sit in training mode and goof around. Thats what I do and it works pretty well.
Well, to be fair... when I say bad I mean that it is just bad and not terrible. Vanilla Mahvel and KOF XII were terrible. This is just bad, but tolerable like Vanilla SF4. I hope they try harder next time though. This was SNK's chance to build a larger audience for the game and they probably missed it.

So it's not the worst thing in the world.
Maybe we should be blaming Shitty-ass Time Warner and their monopolies as much as KOF.
Without a doubt.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I hope it coincides with Mr. Karate. It'll be a way for them to save face for having DLC characters in the first place.

If there's one game and developer who can be forgiven for wanting/needing to find a way to make some extra cash off a release, this is that case.

alstein

If there's one game and developer who can be forgiven for wanting/needing to find a way to make some extra cash off a release, this is that case.

They also knocked $10 off the price of the game, so it really isn't that big of a cash grab compared to what Capcom did with MVC3 Shuma/Jill.

If you sell your game under $60, I'm more tolerant of DLC characters.

They also knocked $10 off the price of the game, so it really isn't that big of a cash grab compared to what Capcom did with MVC3 Shuma/Jill.

If you sell your game under $60, I'm more tolerant of DLC characters.

I don't think that's an excuse. BBCS debuted at $40 but they rightfully took a lot of flack for DLC characters.

Costumes and cosmetic things I don't take issue with, but when DLC affects competitive play, then that's just silly.

BadWolf

Yeah, they already included the only true new character, Billy, in the package. And another EX character as a bonus, Saiki. In the basic package you are already get more than in the arcade so I don't really see an issue.

The characters are already in the game but if you want an ex version, which they clearly put quite a bit of effort into, then you have to pay.

Indeed

KOF XIII also feels really packed aside from the lack of Spectator mode too.
I don't think that's an excuse. BBCS debuted at $40 but they rightfully took a lot of flack for DLC characters.

Costumes and cosmetic things I don't take issue with, but when DLC affects competitive play, then that's just silly.
The prices were high, but that is pretty much my only problem with DLC in BBCS. The game was budget priced at launch and the rebalancing was free to boot.

alstein

They took flack, and I believe they deserve to take flack for making Extend a disk purchase and making those chars obsolete, but I didn't think they deserved flack for having DLC chars and a free update instead of making a new disk with CS2 last year.

I guess Relius wasn't enough to justify using the same model, so they went disc this time.

That said, I think this game is not going to sell all that well because people feel ripped off, and there's a ton of good alternatives coming out around this same time (Skullgirls I think hits in January, as does SC5)

Top Bottom