• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Grokbu

it doesn't come out or it does come out, but too late. i'm not good with that motion when tight timing is required.
Ok. Then I guess it kinda sounds like how I was experiencing it at first. I simply tried it over and over until I found the sweet spot to activate the command throw.

I can't really give you any better advice, sadly. :(

Ok. Then I guess it kinda sounds like how I was experiencing it at first. I simply tried it over and over until I found the sweet spot to activate the command throw.

I can't really give you any better advice, sadly. :(

no problem. i'll just keep trying until i succeed. i don't think i'll get far in her trials without some training.

You'll find the same thing playing any new fighting game series, sf4, tekken, soul calibur, etc. etc.

Once you're over getting acquainted with the mechanics, playing the game at a functional level is extremely easy. The introductory level is just so rough cuz it's awkward and different from everything else.

I play storm/wolves/sent in marvel and moving/flying/mixing up with storm and sent is harder than anything I have to do in KoF.

Maybe in Marvel 2, but KOF definitely has harder execution than Marvel 3. I'm a Storm player as well.

Anyways, I was talking about linking before. Some links are 1 frame which is ridiculous.

no problem. i'll just keep trying until i succeed. i don't think i'll get far in her trials without some training.

First of all, be sure that you're hitting that motion correctly and not unconsciously stopping on db before f like I was doing. It doesn't need to be anywhere near as fast as the demo shows (although if you're going to use it for mixups then it'd be good to practice that), just keep trying until you're comfortable doing it (you'll need it for more than just that trial) and you'll wonder why it even gave you so much trouble before.

Maybe in Marvel 2, but KOF definitely has harder execution than Marvel 3. I'm a Storm player as well.

Anyways, I was talking about linking before. Some links are 1 frame which is ridiculous.

At least mashing works better here.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Got a 1 year Live subscription from the wife for Xmas. 20 games on Ranked tonight showed me two things: online isn't bad at all (so far), and damn did I get my ass kicked. 1 win to show for my trouble.

Settling down on Takuma, Clark & King. Maybe.

Cowie

I finally cracked and picked this up christmas eve. I really wasn't looking to pick up another fighter, but I played the demo.. and it just feels right, man. I don't know what the hell it is, but just playing this game is really.. comfortable. I like the speed, I like the jumps, everything is just how I want it.

.. You'd think that because of all this talk of comfort I wouldn't be ass-terrible at the game, but you'd be very wrong. I don't know what the shit I'm doing, lol. And having to learn three characters at once while learning a new system is a bit intimidating.. but I'm having fun, terrible though I may be.

Shinriji

9 consecutive wins on ranked. On the 10th, infernal lag and and an opponent that spams fireballs with Ash, Saiki and gringo Iori.

How nice. :(

First of all, be sure that you're hitting that motion correctly and not unconsciously stopping on db before f like I was doing. It doesn't need to be anywhere near as fast as the demo shows (although if you're going to use it for mixups then it'd be good to practice that), just keep trying until you're comfortable doing it (you'll need it for more than just that trial) and you'll wonder why it even gave you so much trouble before.

will try going more slowly next time, thanks.

LowParry

I know I'm gonna end up caving in and buying this game even without Spectator and the bad netcode.

I just know it...

You should. It's a really fun game despite the netcode being ass most times online. Hopefully we'll see some tweaks with it in the future. Wish I had time for the game. Every little bit of time I get in to play is fantastic.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
You should. It's a really fun game despite the netcode being ass most times online. Hopefully we'll see some tweaks with it in the future. Wish I had time for the game. Every little bit of time I get in to play is fantastic.
Yeah, time is an issue for real. Generally unfamiliar with KoF, three characters to delve into, and dat pressure game. Lots of losing in my immediate future.

Last night I ate Andy's ridiculous Elbow Of Doom. He disappeared, screen went blank, I was like ohshitohshit, and then death. Andy looked like a boss though.

It definitely does not. You have forever and a day to do things in kof and there isn't a single bnb hit confirm string that is anywhere near difficult.

If you are playing storm to her capacity then it's impossible for you to say kof is harder.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I know I'm gonna end up caving in and buying this game even without Spectator and the bad netcode.

I just know it...

Its not that bad. Just set it to search for player matches with 4 bars only and sit in training mode and goof around. Thats what I do and it works pretty well.

It definitely does not. You have forever and a day to do things in kof and there isn't a single bnb hit confirm string that is anywhere near difficult.

If you are playing storm to her capacity then it's impossible for you to say kof is harder.

KOF is harder. Marvel 3 is easier and Storm is not as hard as you think she is.

4 bar matches exist? The only one I‘ve found turned into a 3 bar before the character select screen :/

... I blame shitty Mexican internet.

haunts

Bacon of Hope

Yeah it's easy to say something like "Arthur is hard to play!" or whatever and I do respect high level UMVC3 -- its one of my favorite games -- KOF is a way harder game to play across the board.

4 bar matches exist? The only one I‘ve found turned into a 3 bar before the character select screen :/

... I blame shitty Mexican internet.

Ive had a few here in the Bay Area.

Wrong. Period.

Plink dashing ALONE is harder than KOF as a whole. Not to mention Instant floats, consistently getting ambiguous tri jumps, controlling flight canceled mixups off jump ins, character control on resets, etc. etc.

For reference, I play King, Hwa, and Leona. The hardest thing I have to do is make sure i don't get an accidental super when I want a dp with hwa, getting accidental dp's with king when I want a fireball, and linking a neomax with Leona. All the CC's for those 3 characters are super easy.

Dont' get me wrong, at an introductory level KoF is harder to get a hang of, but that's just because it's so different. At a competitive and functional level, Marvel has characters that are more difficult than KoF in general, Storm being one of them.

Yeah it's easy to say something like "Arthur is hard to play!" or whatever and I do respect high level UMVC3 -- its one of my favorite games -- KOF is a way harder game to play across the board.

Yeah but a lot of KoF execution difficulty is just getting used to it. Once you are then there's nothing hard about it. Almost all my execution difficulties are with regards to getting around the games dumb shortcuts and huge buffer window. KoF is harder to get the hang of(hence being harder across the board), and that's it.

edit - and no, i'm not saying characters like wesker take any modicum of skill to execute properly with

Wrong. Period.

Plink dashing ALONE is harder than KOF as a whole. Not to mention Instant floats, consistently getting ambiguous tri jumps, controlling flight canceled mixups off jump ins, character control on resets, etc. etc.

For reference, I play King, Hwa, and Leona. The hardest thing I have to do is make sure i don't get an accidental super when I want a dp with hwa, getting accidental dp's with king when I want a fireball, and linking a neomax with Leona. All the CC's for those 3 characters are super easy.

Dont' get me wrong, at an introductory level KoF is harder to get a hang of, but that's just because it's so different. At a competitive and functional level, Marvel has characters that are more difficult than KoF in general, Storm being one of them.

Yeah but a lot of KoF execution difficulty is just getting used to it. Once you are then there's nothing hard about it. Almost all my execution difficulties are with regards to getting around the games dumb shortcuts and huge buffer window. KoF is harder to get the hang of, and that's it.

My original point was that my sloppy execution on stick, which I have developed by playing Marvel 3 and nothing else, is rapidly improving as a result of playing King of Fighters. No need to be a dick about it.

Wrong. Period.

Yeah but a lot of KoF execution difficulty is just getting used to it. Once you are then there's nothing hard about it. Almost all my execution difficulties are with regards to getting around the games dumb shortcuts and huge buffer window. KoF is harder to get the hang of(hence being harder across the board), and that's it.

edit - and no, i'm not saying characters like wesker take any modicum of skill to execute properly with

All that stuff is easy. Plink dashing is easier than wave dashing. Instant float I learned in 5 minutes. What game you playing bro?

All that stuff is easy. Plink dashing is easier than wave dashing. Instant float I learned in 5 minutes. What game you playing bro?

Maybe your personal abilities lend you to finding mvc3 easier. But after I got used to the timing of cancels in KoF, I found nothing difficult about the game at all, and that's the general sentiment in my group of friends I game with as well. I just can't think of anything hard in KoF, what game are YOU playing?

alstein

Maybe your personal abilities lend you to finding mvc3 easier. But after I got used to the timing of cancels in KoF, I found nothing difficult about the game at all, and that's the general sentiment in my group of friends I game with as well. I just can't think of anything hard in KoF, what game are YOU playing?

I suck at execution in both games, but I suck at Marvel more, so I'd say Marvel is harder.

That said 13's controls aren't as good as 98 or XI's.

I'll give you an example. This is a combo I've been practicing with Terry:

cr.B cr.B cr.B st.B xx qcfx2+K

The amount of time between the st.B and qcfx2+K is pretty damn short. Usually I either do the qcfx2 too slowly to combo, or do it incorrectly in an attempt to do it fast. Until now, mvc3 is the only game I played on stick. I don't play Street Fighter IV. Up until this point I've gotten by without needing to learn to do qcfx2 quickly and precisely. I'm getting better at it, but it requires unlearning some bad habits I already had on stick.

BadWolf

I'll give you an example. This is a combo I've been practicing with Terry:

cr.B cr.B cr.B st.B xx qcfx2+K

The amount of time between the st.B and qcfx2+K is pretty damn short. Usually I either do the qcfx2 too slowly to combo, or do it incorrectly in an attempt to do it fast. Until now, mvc3 is the only game I played on stick. I don't play Street Fighter IV. Up until this point I've gotten by without needing to learn to do qcfx2 quickly and precisely. I'm getting better at it, but it requires unlearning some bad habits I already had on stick.

Just do this instead:

cr.B, cr.B, cr.B, qcf+B, qcf+B

I can say the exact same thing about Marvel. And Ive heard more people say KOF is a harder game. I dont know why you got so defensive about it in the first place. Parallax Scroll originally said his execution is going to improve vastly because of KOF (which I agree with).

I can say the exact same thing about Marvel. And Ive heard more people say KOF is a harder game. I dont know why you got so defensive about it in the first place. Parallax Scroll originally said his execution is going to improve vastly because of KOF (which I agree with).

I was just pointing out that he wouldn't necessarily get those results due to the games different natures. Everything else has been a reply.

Skilletor

I don't know why anybody would compare execution in KoF to MvC in the first place. Two entirely different types of playstyles.

Anyways, reading impressions of characters from JPN players they seem to think Terry is horrible. Is there a reason for that?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I don't know why anybody would compare execution in KoF to MvC in the first place. Two entirely different types of playstyles.

Anyways, reading impressions of characters from JPN players they seem to think Terry is horrible. Is there a reason for that?
Maybe because all of his moves are unsafe? Maybe his weak fireballs? Dunno.

NnnnOooooOoOoooOooooo!!!!!

the game is only a few weeks old and the list was made by the best pros. you can't cheese KoF by looking at a tier list and picking the best rated characters anyway, so no need to panic :)

I went through about half the cast today to see who I can fairly easily (low execution) do meterless or 1 bar combos with. So far I'm liking Kyo, Robert, and Kula.

Maybe because all of his moves are unsafe? Maybe his weak fireballs? Dunno.

I guess they just can't justify fitting him in a team, too. Anchor is out of the question when so many characters are better choices. You'd think he'd do great on point, since he's decent at building meter, but he also needs it for a proper reversal. Not to mention he's likely to run into characters who outclass him with their projectile game since those are common on point. The fact that he requires drive cancels even for really basic combos make it hard to use him as a second character if you plan to have your anchor go for the kill with a single HD combo.

CPS2

Ok so if i buy this from usa or asia I'd have to have a psn account from the same region to get the dlc right? How many dlc characters are there? I'm thinking it might be easier if i pick it up on xbox...

Ok so if i buy this from usa or asia I'd have to have a psn account from the same region to get the dlc right? How many dlc characters are there? I'm thinking it might be easier if i pick it up on xbox...

Usually DLC is region locked, there are three DLC characters(Flame Iori, Nests Kyo, Mr. Karate) so far with the first two already released on XBL(only one on PSN).

alstein

Why is this true...
Oh well, he'll always be a staple in my team.

Well, I don't think he's Momoko bad, so you can use him. Japan has always rated Terry lower then the US. It's rare to see a staple character at the bottom of a tier list. I really think you can win with anyone in this game- balance is probably a little better then SSF4 overall.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok another tuesday another PSN Store Update and you know what it means?
KOF XIII Color Unlock DLC!

Top Bottom