• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

They took flack, and I believe they deserve to take flack for making Extend a disk purchase and making those chars obsolete, but I didn't think they deserved flack for having DLC chars and a free update instead of making a new disk with CS2 last year.

I guess Relius wasn't enough to justify using the same model, so they went disc this time.

That said, I think this game is not going to sell all that well because people feel ripped off, and there's a ton of good alternatives coming out around this same time (Skullgirls I think hits in January, as does SC5)

All I've heard is early 2012 for SG.
I don't think it matters when it comes to Extend in the Western Hemisphere. BB is a pretty hot property in Japan.

Fallacy

Neo Member
When has Blazblue ever sold well in the US? The few hardcore players will get it, beyond that I'm not overly concerned.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah, they already included the only true new character, Billy, in the package. And another EX character as a bonus, Saiki. In the basic package you are already get more than in the arcade so I don't really see an issue.

The characters are already in the game but if you want an ex version, which they clearly put quite a bit of effort into, then you have to pay.

Good thing we didn't have to pay for EX characters in all the other KOFs, then. :p This could have been free content; they're just taking advantage of the "DLC-on-a-disc-unlock-key" method that so many other companies use.

BadWolf

Good thing we didn't have to pay for EX characters in all the other KOFs, then. :p This could have been free content; they're just taking advantage of the "DLC-on-a-disc-unlock-key" method that so many other companies use.

If people are willing to pay then why not?

I'm not and won't so makes no difference to me. Its just ex versions.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If people are willing to pay then why not?

I'm not and won't so makes no difference to me. Its just ex versions.

Yes, that seems to be why this type of "DLC" is only increasing in number.

Weird how people seem to have no problem with paying for content that is locked on their disc. Content that used to be free.

I buy some stuff and don't buy others. But I remember when paying $40-$60 for a game meant that you got EVERYTHING.

On SNK's defense, EX characters used to be way, WAY bigger copy and paste jobs than the ones we're getting right now if only because of the new sprite style.

alstein

If anything, given the niche status of FG's, and how long people play them, it's a genre that could get away with higher prices. The DLC is worth it to the hardcore fans.

Many of us would readily have paid $100 for KOF if it were an import-only title.

Weird how people seem to have no problem with paying for content that is locked on their disc. Content that used to be free.

Either I want it and pay for it or don't want it and don't pay. There's no point in making this a matter of principle or trying to make people feel responsible for the way things are now.

NeonZ

Well, the EX characters in other KoF didn't have their own redesigned sprites, for what that's worth. These are more elaborated visually than the previous ones, in spite of the bigger cost per sprite now. So, the extra money is being used in the game itself at least partially.

i'm not a fan of DLC, but at least you get unique stages, tracks? and trial modes with every EX character you buy.

i rather have companies make a set price for a complete package.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The way I see it, the EX characters - which they DID have to create, along with new sprites, new stages (don't forget), and new music tracks - were projected to help pay for the quality of the port. Which, netcode issues aside, is amazing. Unless I'm forgetting a previous port somewhere, this has the most polish and content of any KoF console port to date, by a fairly wide margin.

I see the EX characters as essentially like the DLC characters in MK9. The base game is already so crammed with stuff, you cannot really say they're trying to nickle and dime you for the "good bits". Base game is already stuffed with the good bits, and more content than you'd ever gotten in the so-called "good old days". The DLC is a way to try and justify the investment.

The way I see it, the EX characters - which they DID have to create, along with new sprites, new stages (don't forget), and new music tracks - were projected to help pay for the quality of the port. Which, netcode issues aside, is amazing. Unless I'm forgetting a previous port somewhere, this has the most polish and content of any KoF console port to date, by a fairly wide margin.

I see the EX characters as essentially like the DLC characters in MK9. The base game is already so crammed with stuff, you cannot really say they're trying to nickle and dime you for the "good bits". Base game is already stuffed with the good bits, and more content than you'd ever gotten in the so-called "good old days". The DLC is a way to try and justify the investment.

i'm going to get all characters down the line because of that. if you factor in the low retail price and the bonus 4CD soundtrack, it's a bargain. still, i'm uncomfortable with these practices. especially in competitive games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
i'm going to get all characters down the line because of that. if you factor in the low retail price and the bonus 4CD soundtrack, it's a bargain. still, i'm uncomfortable with these practices. especially in competitive games.

Let me put it this way; in a perfect world, these practices wouldn't be necessary. Ideally, I agree with people who have some dislike of it on principle.

Ironically, SFIV has ended representing the "correct" use of DLC that affects competitive play - the only time characters were added via DLC was during the actual version update of the game itself, that affected the entire game. And it was a package that made fiscal sense for the buyer, not just the publisher.

However, I tend to be a realist about it, and don't let principles get in the way of enjoying the game unless the violation is totally over the top.

cj_iwakura

I don't think that's an excuse. BBCS debuted at $40 but they rightfully took a lot of flack for DLC characters.

Costumes and cosmetic things I don't take issue with, but when DLC affects competitive play, then that's just silly.

BBCS had a huge story mode. Like, 5 hours+. (For a fighter, anyway.)

That was mostly why I bought it. Extend doesn't have that going for it.

Korigama

Man, I hope that netcode patch drops soon. Just tried the online for the first time tonight, and even on a 3 connection, there's too much lag to do anything other than the basics. Oh well, at least I won the two player matches I tried before I got kicked by the host...perhaps ending our last match with Kula's Neomax was a bit much...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I had a 4 bar match against a guy who always has 3 bars and it was pretty good.

Happy new year KOF GAF!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Happy new year.

Could 2012 finally be the year KOF appears at the Evo main stage?
Hell yeah man! Even as a KOF fanboy im really surprised by the warm welcome the game had.

Hell yeah man! Even as a KOF fanboy im really surprised by the warm welcome the game had.

Me too, when the topic came up in the UMVC3 topic and everyone was like "yeah KoF is getting a spot this year for sure" all I could think was "are you guys serious or just toying with my heart :|" and wanted to cry tears of joy (ok not really, but I was happy XP).

BadWolf

Man, I hope that netcode patch drops soon. Just tried the online for the first time tonight, and even on a 3 connection, there's too much lag to do anything other than the basics. Oh well, at least I won the two player matches I tried before I got kicked by the host...perhaps ending our last match with Kula's Neomax was a bit much...

*shrug* 3 bar is usually very playable for me.

Chin can't survive on basics and I can land all his usual drive cancel and EX combos no prob, pretty much the same with the rest of the cast. Can do HD combos too, if I myself don't mess up that is.

Have played well over 1K matches so far.

*shrug* 3 bar is usually very playable for me.

Chin can't survive on basics and I can land all his usual drive cancel and EX combos no prob, pretty much the same with the rest of the cast. Can do HD combos too, if I myself don't mess up that is.

Have played well over 1K matches so far.

i have played about 500 matches. no hate mail and only 2 ragequits. SF was ghetto compared to this community so far (PSN).

shaowebb

I think I'm training wrong. Got in, played some, started getting pumped about drunken kung fu again (which I learned a form of in Kung Fu at one point) and decided to start fishing for footage and shots of Simon Yuen. Thats the guy who Chin is based off of, who is in and of himself just a tribute to the legendary character "Beggar So".

My training has been creating CG of Simon Yuen, lol. You find inspiration in the darnedest places. Here's hoping when its done I actually learn to do something game related.

Frankfurt

Banned
BBCS had a huge story mode. Like, 5 hours+. (For a fighter, anyway.)

That was mostly why I bought it. Extend doesn't have that going for it.

The Story Modes in BB and KOFXIII are great in concept, but god-awful in execution. BB's is still better than KOF, though. The lack of voice acting makes KOF's story mode even sillier (the "branching" may be the worst attempt at branching in the history of videogames, too).

Grecco

Me too, when the topic came up in the UMVC3 topic and everyone was like "yeah KoF is getting a spot this year for sure" all I could think was "are you guys serious or just toying with my heart :|" and wanted to cry tears of joy (ok not really, but I was happy XP).

Its gotten alot of time on SRKs front page. Id be suprised if it wasnt one of the Evo games.

Top Bottom