• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So glad that KOF XIII is gonna be at Evo!

PSN players-- the chat room is DEAD DEAD DEAD every time I go into it. If anyone needs an invite, let me know.

sephi22

Had a lot of fun playing this online, but 90% of the time when I am decimating my opponent, they conveniently disconnect and I do not get the win.
Could be boosters. The game doesn't register a disconnect as a loss for the 10 win streak trophy. (Hope I'm not giving anyone any ideas)

sephi22

@dementia
I don't know either, but MK had a nice compromise. In MK9, quitting while on a streak leads to a loss for you and a win for the other guy, and the game ends the win count at that, and restarts the streak the next time you get 2 wins in a row.

However, in the background, instead of canceling your streak when you disconnect, it still counts the wins after the disconnect. So you can do 3 wins, disconnect, 4 wins, disconnect, disconnect, 3 wins and still get the achievement, even though the game will count your highest streak as 4 wins. Doesn't lead to frustration for either player as even the guy who gets disconnected on gets a win.

(Don't ask me how I know all this)

GooeyHeat

Glad this thread's back, because this game is SO DAMN GOOD. After Street Fighter 4, Mahvel 3, and Street Fighter 3 not giving me quite what I was looking for in a fighting game, this may be what I wanted all along. Pure Honest Fighting is the perfect title for this thread, because it's so true. And it's awesome to see this BEST FIGHTING GAME get a spot at EVO. Add me on Xbox LIVE: DudewitdaK

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Couldnt find a video capture card today :(

I want to learn a little bit of the stream biz
One of my PSN buddies is going to EVO! Hopefully i can help him with the training.

alstein

Just got to play one of my Mexican friends in semi-playable conditions. Quite a step up in level from your standard online folks. At least I got a taste of what I'll be up against later on.

Oh boy, those SNK vids are an absolutely fantastic learning source, just checked out the 12/26 vid and man ... I hadn't even considered the possibility that I would be able to HITCONFIRM the overhead into super using a v-slasher after the instant overhead. Requires use of drive meter of course to go from slasher to her super but this really just changes everything for me, reduces the risk of using it DRAMATICALLY.

Don't know if it was posted already but :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIVaPuhyCuA

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So whats everyone's teams so far? My main is Yuri/Vice/Shen.

Right now Im learning Kyo and want to learn Leona soon after.
So far: Yuri (CHESTO!), Sie Kensou and Clark.
But im also trying Vice and Hwa Jai and im interested on Mr Karate.

Nyoro SF

Just got it today, and I am having fun with the gameplay. Let me invest some time into it and get back to you guys.

Right now I am trying Kim/Kula/Duo-Lon. Kim feels weak though.

Fersis

I never use fireballs characters but i guess i should try someone ... Saiki,Ash,Athena.

Oh and JapanGAF what does 'CHESTO!' means? Yuri has the cutest 'chesto!' shout ever!
(Or whatever she says at the end of his EX DM)

Nyoro SF

Kim is really good in this one, one of my faves.

Without meter I feel super helpless lol. I'm trying him out in training mode and it felt like unless I had meter I couldn't do anything.

I'll read up on Kim's character threads and get proven wrong later.

N4Us

RAMNation streaming again tonight at around 11 PM PST. I can't make it tonight but I'll watch whatever I can of it.

twitch.tv/finestko

alstein

I never use fireballs characters but i guess i should try someone ... Saiki,Ash,Athena.

Oh and JapanGAF what does 'CHESTO!' means? Yuri has the cutest 'chesto!' shout ever!
(Or whatever she says at the end of his EX DM)

My guess is it means I just raped your chest.
Makoto says it also.

alstein

i really want to play some ranked, but i won't touch that shit without the patch.

why are they so stingy with news?

There's no points penalty for ragequits, so just disconnect from 1 bar matches at setup. Those are actually pretty rare. If you accept that ranked is just a random match and laggy, it's fine.

Does anyone know the deal with HD bypassing a special? Sometimes is works and sometimes my character will just stand there and a normal HD activation.

Olaeh

Is it just me or is the online community for this game pretty bad (attitude wise)? If I win, they rage-quit and/or hate mail - If they're clearly winning, often times they taunt and immediately connection-lost. Apparently I'm not worthy to play them or something? Maybe it's just my luck, but it seems damn near every other match goes something like this. :/

are you playing player matches? most of mine have been good. there will always be some assholes, but compared to other fighters it's pretty civil for me so far.

Olaeh

I've been playing mostly ranked on PS3. My experience with the community has been a fair bit worse than with other games. I've met a lot of friendly people on BlazBlue, but my KOF experience thus far has been pretty bad... which is a shame because KOF has always been my preferred franchise :(

One example is I sent a message to a good Chin player I lost to, saying, "Nice Chin! Good game :)" His reply was something like "lol first time using him. Go learn..." What? The guy clearly used him many times before. He knew a lot of bigger, more complicated combos and seemed to know what he was doing with alcohol. Chin was also part of his preset team... Gah! I'm sorry for ranting... I think I just need a little break from the game perhaps - but I'll see if I have better luck with player matches, thanks~

yea, nobody should play ranked. lag abusing players gathere there. it's the scum mode for now, sadly.

player matches are good with mostly respectful people.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is it just me or is the online community for this game pretty bad (attitude wise)? If I win, they rage-quit and/or hate mail - If they're clearly winning, often times they taunt and immediately connection-lost. Apparently I'm not worthy to play them or something? Maybe it's just my luck, but it seems damn near every other match goes something like this. :/

Welcome to playing fighters online in ranked mode. It's why I hate the "streak" achievements for them. Because I want nothing to do with the pond scum that gather in those modes to lag tactic abuse shit.

Fersis

Welcome to playing fighters online in ranked mode. It's why I hate the "streak" achievements for them. Because I want nothing to do with the pond scum that gather in those modes to lag tactic abuse shit.
Did you got the game yet?

Man i forgot how to deal with pressure in KOF, keep thinking i can throw something out and forget this game has next to zero 1 frame attacks, leaving my team in question. was rocking Ralf/Joe/Ex Kyo but so far Ex Kyo is my only consistently good character. Time to rethink my team.

also, Top 4 going to be on FinestKO stream at twitch.tv coming up.

I think I've hit a bit of a breakthrough with this game. I really felt like I was overthinking some of the aspects of the game while in a match and I've started doing infinitely better by just sort of letting all that go and playing the match based on reactions and good pressure.

When I over thought any situation I tended to freeze up mid match and would essentially stop playing dynamically as I was trying to get a hit on my opponent. Frankly I think the whole letting go thing has helped my combo execution as well. It's sort of a problem I have with non-airdash fighters as a whole, as I try to get into the mechanics of a footsies based fighter I lose what it means to play the match and the game as effectively. My reactions get slower and I end up screwing combos as I get the "oh shit!" moment when I finally do land one.

@Olae
I pretty much exclusively play KOF13 player matches (PSN) and have had nothing but positive experiences / feedback from the players. Usually if I go a longer set with a person with a good connection then I get a friend request or a "GGs" afterwards, really I've been shocked up to this point that more people aren't just ... salty overall. I think a lot of it is the fact that KOF really is "Pure Honest Fighting" a commentator on FinestKO was pointing out that he never felt angry after a match because there weren't any random factors he felt that would instantly turn a match into his opponents favor (referring to X-factor no doubt). In this game it really is a situation where player skill is the dominating factor in any match.

I played a single ranked match in all my time of playing and have logged something close to 900 player matches in comparison. I'll no doubt jump into ranked when SNK decides to allow you to drop a player with a bad connection.

BadWolf

Man i forgot how to deal with pressure in KOF, keep thinking i can throw something out and forget this game has next to zero 1 frame attacks, leaving my team in question. was rocking Ralf/Joe/Ex Kyo but so far Ex Kyo is my only consistently good character. Time to rethink my team.

also, Top 4 going to be on FinestKO stream at twitch.tv coming up.

Haven't hit the groove with Joe yet but Ralf is extremely solid in this game. Excellent pokes, great damage and builds meter like its no one's business.

If you want 1 frame moves then you may want to give grapplers a try.

Top Bottom