• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

I feel pretty much the same. I've really only started getting into fighting games in general so this game feels completely impossible. I was convinced that I wanted to pick up fighters so I went out and snagged this, UMvC3, SSIVAE, and MK9. The plan is to focus on one and just fool around with friends in the others (so far everyone is having fun). This one has me pretty defeated since I get stuck on missions 2 or 3 with a lot of characters. There has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Having input display on helps. Also read the command interpreter shown here to see what comes when certain inputs are read. Kinda important if your wondering why your moves doesn't come out. Lastly make sure you are hitting the final direction(best to hold it) of the move or be in in neutral as you are hitting he button or the move won't come out.

Delay close heavy normals a little bit after jump-ins. Wait until your character seems to start to fall to input the close heavy normal.

That guide I posted above is pretty awesome.

Shortcuts.

tip - u don't need to do the missions to enjoy the game. I'd go as far as to say you can still beat your friends just learning as you play with basic zoning and dp, fireballs etc. I haven't even touched 1 mission yet/

alstein

Does it make me a jerk if I want SNK to release more Neo geo Station games since those have better netcode then KOF XIII? If I had KOF 98, I'd probably play both equally.

The only thing that would get me off XIII right now is a version of one of the UM games on PS3 with good netcode.

I think the SNK community has pretty much decided that even if XIII isn't your favorite, it's still good, and the community needs to rally behind a game to survive.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Every importer is sold out on Sticks .. damnit! >_<
Send some sticks to Argentina Markman!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Thanks for the support. I'm tempted to go back to UMvC3 since I'm not completely useless in that game, but I think I'll stick it out for a while.

I played some UMvC3 last night and was quite eager to get back to the superior KOF XIII!

Skilletor

I played some UMvC3 last night and was quite eager to get back to the superior KOF XIII!

I played some UMvC and SF last night. The entire time I was thinking, "Why am I not playing KoF?"

Playing KoF really highlights what I hate about recent capcom games. I have no interest in future iterations of MvC or SF on a competitive level now.

Every importer is sold out on Sticks .. damnit! >_<
Send some sticks to Argentina Markman!

Just choke it down and import a HORI RAP or wait for the SC5 HORI stick.

I think I've finally come to terms with 13 not getting any DLC characters worth a damn. I'm not hyped for alternate versions of existing characters SNK. :|

Oh well, I'll just wait for KoF14. :D

alstein

Just choke it down and import a HORI RAP or wait for the SC5 HORI stick.

I think I've finally come to terms with 13 not getting any DLC characters worth a damn. I'm not hyped for alternate versions of existing characters SNK. :|

Oh well, I'll just wait for KoF14. :D

Mr.Karate is different enough to be worth it. EX Iori/Kyo not as much.

Still , $50 game so $13 of DLC means it's really just $3 over normal price which isn't that bad, especially since this is the first good disc-based fighter to come over in over a year.

Still , $50 game so $13 of DLC means it's really just $3 over normal price which isn't that bad, especially since this is the first good disc-based fighter to come over in over a year.

Oh I don't care about the pricing. I just don't like the selection.

If you enjoy a game, then the DLC will be worth it for you. Simple as that. I enjoy the the game, but I also enjoy the rich cast of SNK characters; so I would rather see Yamazaki than an alternate Iori/Kyo/Athena, whatever other alternates SNK has in store for the life of 13.

Lothars

I thought the DLC was pretty good maybe a little pricy but they are worth it, I do disagree about this though there has been some amazing disc based fighters last year, I would argue better fighters than KOF even though I think KOF is fantastic.

Any word on a Netcode patch? The current netcode is pretty solid, its like a patch away from SSF4. I really love this game, it should be supported by any fan of fighters. Capcom fan or not.

BadWolf

If you enjoy a game, then the DLC will be worth it for you. Simple as that. I enjoy the the game, but I also enjoy the rich cast of SNK characters; so I would rather see Yamazaki than an alternate Iori/Kyo/Athena, whatever other alternates SNK has in store for the life of 13.

Kinda surprised they gave us Billy, actually. Given how big XIII's cast is it makes sense to save more characters for the next installment.

Animating Yamazaki or whoever in XIII's syle would take way more effort and time than all the current EX characters combined, I think.

Kinda surprised they gave us Billy, actually. Given how big XIII's cast is it makes sense to save more characters for the next installment.

Animating Yamazaki or whoever in XIII's syle would take way more effort and time than all the current EX characters combined, I think.

On the other hand Arc System Works did a really great bridge between releases with completely unique characters in BB:CS. Valkenhayn, Makoto, Platrollnum were worth the money IMO, though that goes back to being a big fan so it's worth it to me. Though it's also because the characters were completely unique that made them appealing.

True, although other than Makoto, they were released plenty of months after release. Give SNKP time, maybe they'll add more characters later. If not, well, XIV will probably be close by then *shrugs*

BadWolf

On the other hand Arc System Works did a really great bridge between releases with completely unique characters in BB:CS. Valkenhayn, Makoto, Platrollnum were worth the money IMO, though that goes back to being a big fan so it's worth it to me. Though it's also because the characters were completely unique that made them appealing.

Didn't the first BB start with 12 characters or something small like that? Even after all the intallments/updates the series is at 19 or 20 characters right? Adding characters like that would seem like kind of a necessacity in this case.

KOFXIII has 30 characters, not counting the ex versions. I'd say that is more than enough to tide ppl over till the next installement. They won't be able to satisfy any fan via dlc like that anyway, ppl will always complain they didn't get a character they want.

alstein

I do agree with you that I'd rather have had one new char then 3 DLC chars+ stages+trials+ soundtrack. Work would have been equivalent I think.

Eiji would have made the most sense to team with Billy.

Korigama

I do agree with you that I'd rather have had one new char then 3 DLC chars+ stages+trials+ soundtrack. Work would have been equivalent I think.

Though I like Eiji (part of my main team in XI), I think including him would've seemed somewhat redundant with Mature already there, even though they aren't exactly alike gameplay-wise. If I were to guess, more people probably wanted to see Mary or Yamazaki.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I tried a little bit of the demo's online play.

wow, that was unplayable. is the retail any better?
Theres a patch in the works ...

This game has Fersis seal of approval so you should get it ;)

Enordash

Not really, Online Play is still terrible, there is a patch coming but who knows if it will make it better.

What kind of connection were you getting? I had a 3 bar and it didn't feel too bad. This is probably because I suck and can't really tell that things aren't going how I want them to go.

Dave Long

Banned
Online play isn't necessarily "terrible". It's apparently very dependent on your connection because my online is very good. I felt little to no delay playing over the weekend.

Lothars

What kind of connection were you getting? I had a 3 bar and it didn't feel too bad. This is probably because I suck and can't really tell that things aren't going how I want them to go.
Normally 3 Bars but I know I suck so that's not what it is but sometimes it feels like it doesn't do what I want it to do.

alstein

3 bars is a bit off but ok, like a yellow bar match in SSF4
4 bars is real bar
2 bars is like an orange bar match in SSF4- very inconsistent.

1 bar - ick unless they're Japanese or American (I live in US) , then it's like 2 bar.

The problem is finding good Americans. Most of the folks I can get 3 bars with I steamroll, and I'm not that good.

WM4iI.jpg

i want more silliness for the next game.

Didn't the first BB start with 12 characters or something small like that? Even after all the intallments/updates the series is at 19 or 20 characters right? Adding characters like that would seem like kind of a necessacity in this case.

KOFXIII has 30 characters, not counting the ex versions. I'd say that is more than enough to tide ppl over till the next installement. They won't be able to satisfy any fan via dlc like that anyway, ppl will always complain they didn't get a character they want.

BB roster really isn't the issue. It's technically a new IP, so I cut it slack. KoF is just updating old favorites, and while each KoF character is unique - BlazBlue was just insane with how different each character was. So yeah it may have a limited selection of characters, but each character felt like they came from a different game.

SNK wouldn't be able to please all fans; but what they could do is leave 4-6 slots blank and just release unique DLC characters through the console life of the game as DLC. Then add these characters to the next release of the game, on top of the other characters that would be unique for that next installment. It's doable.

Yeah current KoF DLC should just be unlockable extras for playing the game. Billy is the best of the bunch and he's on the disk. :p

U gotta keep in mind though that bb characters are a LOT more diverse than kof characters.

It can't be said enough. It's the one thing I really enjoy about the game, and that I really hate. It's why I can only play Tager. :(

ASW needs to make another grappler type so I have an alt.

Enordash

Is there any solid theory on how to choose a decent team? I was thinking maybe starting with King because I like zoning characters. Maybe finish with Daimon because of his ridiculous damage with meter (I haven't actually played around with him yet). Would it make any sense to start with a zoning character then switch to a rushdown like Mr. Karate? I feel like such a noob with fighters.

BadWolf

BB roster really isn't the issue. It's technically a new IP, so I cut it slack. KoF is just updating old favorites, and while each KoF character is unique - BlazBlue was just insane with how different each character was. So yeah it may have a limited selection of characters, but each character felt like they came from a different game.

SNK wouldn't be able to please all fans; but what they could do is leave 4-6 slots blank and just release unique DLC characters through the console life of the game as DLC. Then add these characters to the next release of the game, on top of the other characters that would be unique for that next installment. It's doable.

4-6 characters DLC for XIII and then even more new characters for the next installment? SNK is so huge and loaded I'm sure it will happen. It doesn't take them forever to create one character in the new style at all.

And it doesn't matter how unique gameplay-wise etc you consider the BB characters to be, we are talking effort and quality when it comes to sprites. KOFXIII's are way above BB's in terms of quality, especially animation, not to mention they are done in the old pixel dot style.

Is there any solid theory on how to choose a decent team? I was thinking maybe starting with King because I like zoning characters. Maybe finish with Daimon because of his ridiculous damage with meter (I haven't actually played around with him yet). Would it make any sense to start with a zoning character then switch to a rushdown like Mr. Karate? I feel like such a noob with fighters.

Generally ppl like to put batteries first, characters who don't need much meter to do well and build it nicely (so they stack it for the rest of the team). The heaviest meter user, or the one you can do most damage with, is put last.

Goro would be solid 2nd or 3rd, he's not as dangerous without meter.

King does well 1st.

You don't have to take as much into account as you would in Marvel, but generally you want a character who can go without meter in the first position and one who needs meter to do the most damage as possible using HD combos in the third position. In second you'll want a mix of both.

Using King and Daimon as an example, since you want to use her for zoning, put her first. Daimon, you can have last; since you want to use his HD combos to do a lot of damage.

Choose whoever you want. I think it is good to use different types of characters in this game, it helps you get a good feel of how the game works.

Also watch this beginner's guide.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Online play isn't necessarily "terrible". It's apparently very dependent on your connection because my online is very good. I felt little to no delay playing over the weekend.

In its current state, I avoid ranked matches and just host player matches, with the preference for three or more bars enabled.

Anyone with 1 bar gets kicked. Sometimes I'll play 2 bar connections and if they or any 3 bar connections feel laggy enough, I kick them after a match. It usually doesn't take too long to find someone with a good connection to play matches with.

Top Bottom