• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

MechaX

Just picked up this game yesterday. I'm not a super hardcore fan of KOF, but I casually played some of the earlier titles and spent a lot of time playing XI with a friend.

Man, I like the flow of this game and I like a lot of the characters, but I think years of playing SF and one year of Marvel really got me in a bad habit of sloppy inputs. The timing and motions for a lot of the combos in this game seems to be pretty strict in comparison, unless I'm getting the timing wrong. I couldn't even do Kyo's MAX Cancel in the tutorial.

But I think I'll still use the time to learn things. I've settled on Leona (love her) and King, and I'm using Iori as a filler since I used him a lot in XI (but flame-less Iori is... weird).

BadWolf

Just picked up this game yesterday. I'm not a super hardcore fan of KOF, but I casually played some of the earlier titles and spent a lot of time playing XI with a friend.

Man, I like the flow of this game and I like a lot of the characters, but I think years of playing SF and one year of Marvel really got me in a bad habit of sloppy inputs. The timing and motions for a lot of the combos in this game seems to be pretty strict in comparison, unless I'm getting the timing wrong. I couldn't even do Kyo's MAX Cancel in the tutorial.

But I think I'll still use the time to learn things. I've settled on Leona (love her) and King, and I'm using Iori as a filler since I used him a lot in XI (but flame-less Iori is... weird).

Make sure to hold the attack button down when doing moves, the game repeats the input for like 5 frames or so for you. This makes getting moves out during combos (especially when you want to be able to do a move as soon as your character recovers from his previous one) much easier. It makes maxcancels easier as well.

Grokbu

Sigh. The netcode of this game breaks my heart. Even my best connection have noticable delay, and, at times, when I'm going to play with someone on my FL, we can't join eachother's rooms. If they make the room public so that I can check the connection, it says that it's only 1 bar. This is incredibly annoying, and I know that it's not supposed to be one bar as we get 3-4 bars when it works.

This seems to happen randomly, and there's no way to tell if it's gonna work.

Ended up with having noone to play with a decent connection. :(

robot

I was pissed that the WP Cup stream kept freezing on me every 15 seconds, until this happened.

tumblr_lxhuyfeQ1z1qhxr8ho1_500.png

Was listening to King of Soundtracks and remenising of all the classic KOF themes while driving home today and heard Rugal's Theme. Which made me realize that if Adel was completed and in the game, that Rugal's theme would be his B-Side track, and hearing that in KOF XIII would bring godlike levels of hype.

Man if they do release some sort of sequel or expansion, continue the quality of the godlike soundtrack.

Veal

Man this game is so good. I really hope it brings some hype at EVO and other tourneys this year. Visually at least, it has some combos and supers that made me gasp and say "Oh my God".

octopuss gate > square.

be there or b square.

I used to hate octo gates but for this game it is a great. I used to even hate sanwas and prefer Seimitsus, but have gone back to sanwa jlf's again.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
January 10th which bring us: EXKyo (Lol PSN Delay), Mr Karate and Color Unlock DLC!

GET HAIP!
We could say that KOFXIII is finally complete today.

not complete without patch.
Oh yeah youre right. The patch will be fix the color unlock bug!

Skilletor

Ban yo ass.

Happ 4 Lyfe Bruh. Kick it old school. Yeah get like me.

I guess if you have some sort of testosterone problem and you feel the need to manhandle your sticks to get a simple movement, exerting so much strength it looks like you're flexing whenever you play, I can see how you'd like Happ.

I got dat Mr. Karate. I feel like I should play him because he reminds me of Butt.

Dave Long

Banned
Not that anyone cares, but I actually got some good matches over the weekend where I wasn't overmatched. That was nice. This game kicks ass.

Frankfurt

Banned
The ending artwork for Karate is nice. And is it me, or are the sprites in the "Congratulations" screen 100% unfiltered? The ones in the back are at a random size, so there's pixel-doubling like crazy, but the ones at the front look great.

I guess if you have some sort of testosterone problem and you feel the need to manhandle your sticks to get a simple movement, exerting so much strength it looks like you're flexing whenever you play, I can see how you'd like Happ.

I got dat Mr. Karate. I feel like I should play him because he reminds me of Butt.

Nah son. Just don't like those girly sticks. I'm a mang. 100%. Do it southern cross with those Mexican uppercuts and all that. I flex my grip as I squeeze like dat bitch owes me MONAY. I treat dat happ like shit and it comes back fo mo.

But seriously. It's what I grew up with. It's what I'm used to. It's all a matter of preference and a few years of a square gate Japanese stick is not going to erase decades use of the bat top.

Will be weird if Adel is never added to the game. He definetly deserved to be playable and get his own ending.

Well there are sketches of his char select and win pose artwork in the KOF XIII artbook so they were most likely working on him but never finished. Would be an amazing suprise 4th DLC character though.

Also Mr. Karate's dialogue against everybody is so good. Mr. Karate overall is just so much fun with his moves. Hell i OCV'd Dark Ash with him in record time

Skilletor

Nah son. Just don't like those girly sticks. I'm a mang. 100%. Do it southern cross with those Mexican uppercuts and all that. I flex my grip as I squeeze like dat bitch owes me MONAY. I treat dat happ like shit and it comes back fo mo.

But seriously. It's what I grew up with. It's what I'm used to. It's all a matter of preference and a few years of a square gate Japanese stick is not going to erase decades use of the bat top.

lol! :)

I like Happ, too. Also what I grew up playing on. I think, for me, it's that I play so many 3D fighters and Happ/p360s are pretty bad for those, so I just choose what I can play the best with universally.

Enordash

I feel pretty much the same. I've really only started getting into fighting games in general so this game feels completely impossible. I was convinced that I wanted to pick up fighters so I went out and snagged this, UMvC3, SSIVAE, and MK9. The plan is to focus on one and just fool around with friends in the others (so far everyone is having fun). This one has me pretty defeated since I get stuck on missions 2 or 3 with a lot of characters. There has to be something I'm doing wrong.

BadWolf

I feel pretty much the same. I've really only started getting into fighting games in general so this game feels completely impossible. I was convinced that I wanted to pick up fighters so I went out and snagged this, UMvC3, SSIVAE, and MK9. The plan is to focus on one and just fool around with friends in the others (so far everyone is having fun). This one has me pretty defeated since I get stuck on missions 2 or 3 with a lot of characters. There has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Focus on BnB combos, stuff you can use in a real match, instead of mission mode.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Atlus PR release:

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII, NOW AN OFFICIAL EVO CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES 2012 TITLE, GETS TWO NEW DLC CHARACTERS: NESTS STYLE KYO AND MR. KARATE!

NESTS Style Kyo and Mr. Karate are now both available for download via Xbox LIVE Marketplace and PlayStation Store!

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — JANUARY 11, 2012 — ATLUS today announced the availability of two new downloadable characters for THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII, the latest in the legendary fighting franchise, for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system (PS3™) and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Martial arts master Mr. Karate and NESTS Style Kyo, a fan favorite from the series’ past, join Iori with the Power of Flames and 33 other fighters in a roster already bursting at the seams with some of the most popular characters in KOF history. Both fighters are now available for download from Xbox LIVE®Marketplace for 400 MS points. In the PlayStation®Store, Mr. Karate is available for $4.99 while NESTS Style Kyo will sell for a discounted $2.99 for a limited time in recognition of his tardy arrival on PlayStation®Network.

Recently revealed as an official Evo Championship Series 2012 title, KOF XIII has been showered with acclaim since its release, even being hailed as the Best Fighting Game of 2011 by GameSpot. With the release of two additional DLC characters, ATLUS and SNK PLAYMORE continue to demonstrate their strong support for the game, further evidenced by ongoing development on a title update — set to be released as soon as possible — intended to improve the game’s online play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I hope that title update means an updated demo. Otherwise they'll continue to lose sales with that DISMAL NETCODE DEMO.

Just keep playing and it will come to you in the end.

Top Bottom