• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Korigama

And it doesn't matter how unique gameplay-wise etc you consider the BB characters to be, we are talking effort and quality when it comes to sprites. KOFXIII's are way above BB's in terms of quality, especially animation, not to mention they are done in the old pixel dot style.
So are BB's (I figured I'd interject before someone claimed them to be vector art again when they're not; Arc already went on record stating to use a similar method to what SNKP did). That said, there is obviously less shading and frames of animation with the sprites in BB.

Enordash

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's nice to see a community that is open to helping new comers. I'm pretty stoked that KoF will be at EVO this year so there should be plenty of good coverage to watch.

mr. karate appeared behind a kim player (ex knee grab) that was close by. i don't know how it triggered, but it looked OP ;) when does it trigger? i seriously can't remember if he tried to cross me up...

i'm sure he shat his pants though.

Grokbu

So annoying!

I've been trying to finish Kim's tenth trial, but it's so hard! Getting to the third d~u+B is hard enough as it is. But actually managing to cancel it into qcfx2+B/D almost never happens...

I think I know a good way to do it (d~df, f, uf+b, qcf+B/D), but it's just so hard to get enough charge time after the second d~u+B, qcb+B for some reason.

I probably won't even use this combo, but I so want to finish this one for some reason...

Shinriji

Trials is my worst nightmare in this game. What is the easiest character to complete all 10 trials? I think is Maxima (only missing the last 2). And I hope that they releases more 5 characters at least. It is my only chance to complete 200 trials :(

Skilletor

Trials is my worst nightmare in this game. What is the easiest character to complete all 10 trials? I think is Maxima (only missing the last 2). And I hope that they releases more 5 characters at least. It is my only chance to complete 200 trials :(

Without having touched him at all, I'd guess Goro.

kiun

Yea, Maxima's is the easiest.

RSLYG

co-signed.

http://i.imgur.com/0ZYpl.jpg[/IM]

I mean, look at this perfect specimen of male perfection. How can you say no?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081205170637/snk/images/thumb/6/66/Lin.jpg/630px-Lin.jpg

^with 2000/2002 UM stylist rekka and brand new neomax.

630px-Lin.jpg

^with 2000/2002 UM stylist rekka and brand new neomax.

How can your body be so built when you literally have no stomach? That's scary yo

Grokbu

Grokbu said:
So annoying!

I've been trying to finish Kim's tenth trial, but it's so hard! Getting to the third d~u+B is hard enough as it is. But actually managing to cancel it into qcfx2+B/D almost never happens...

I think I know a good way to do it (d~df, f, uf+b, qcf+B/D), but it's just so hard to get enough charge time after the second d~u+B, qcb+B for some reason.

I probably won't even use this combo, but I so want to finish this one for some reason...
I... I finally got it. ;_;

It feels kinda ridiculous, but it took me about five hours. I think this has got to be the absolute hardest trial I've tried.

If anyone cares, something that made it easier for me was to input the first two d~u+B like df~uf+B. This helped me alot.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
What controller layout do you guys use?

A-B-C-D

or

A-C
B-D

I know it's a random question up to personal preference and all that, just wondering what most people use.

Trials wont be that bad after you play regularly for a couple of weeks. Plus you only have to do like avg 6 per character.

Grokbu

What controller layout do you guys use?

A-B-C-D

or

A-C
B-D

I know it's a random question up to personal preference and all that, just wondering what most people use.
I'm going with:
A-C
B-D
gundamkyoukai said:
Finally get back a PS3 time to buy the other 2 chars .
To bad i have to redo everything o well it's good to be playing KOF again .
Its a good thing that the characters are easy to unlock at least. :)

It kinda sucks to unlock colors and some of the other stuff, though.

i stuck with

A-C
B-D

even though i'm used to the old stlye. i might switch back and see how things go.

I... I finally got it. ;_;

It feels kinda ridiculous, but it took me about five hours. I think this has got to be the absolute hardest trial I've tried.

If anyone cares, something that made it easier for me was to input the first two d~u+B like df~uf+B. This helped me alot.

good job. i think i'm stuck at 7 or 8 on his trials. haven't tried them in a while.

N4Us

AC
BD

Also a quick note that RAMNation will be streaming soon, probably showing KOF again:

www.twitch.tv/finestko

I'm also going to Hadocon tomorrow, but supposedly if there's not enough preregs they're cancelling KOF. Hopefully it still goes through.

4-6 characters DLC for XIII and then even more new characters for the next installment? SNK is so huge and loaded I'm sure it will happen. It doesn't take them forever to create one character in the new style at all.

And it doesn't matter how unique gameplay-wise etc you consider the BB characters to be, we are talking effort and quality when it comes to sprites. KOFXIII's are way above BB's in terms of quality, especially animation, not to mention they are done in the old pixel dot style

I forgot about this post. :X

Anyhow, I'll counter with it's not like Arc System Works is a huge company either; and yet they make it work.

As Korigama points out - neither game uses old timey sprite work.

SNK is dolling up polygon models to look like sprites; and ASW is basically rotoscoping from polygon models. The information is available online, it's worth reading up on.

SNK Dot Art

Mori interview explaining how BB characters are animated.

So are BB's (I figured I'd interject before someone claimed them to be vector art again when they're not; Arc already went on record stating to use a similar method to what SNKP did). That said, there is obviously less shading and frames of animation with the sprites in BB.

But they both look better than anything Crapcom is shitting out these days. :D

Nyoro SF

Sup KOF bros,

I hate to be "that guy" but I need some character selection help. I played Fei Long in SF4 so I like rekka chains (that you use to pressure blocking opponents with correct spacing and get decent chip) and a decent anti-air game.

I've gone through chars one by one and so far I've picked Kensou. His initial rekka isn't safe (EX is though) but I like his combos and anti-air. Thought I would stop by and ask for help.

Sup KOF bros,

I hate to be "that guy" but I need some character selection help. I played Fei Long in SF4 so I like rekka chains (that you use to pressure blocking opponents with correct spacing and get decent chip) and a decent anti-air game.

I've gone through chars one by one and so far I've picked Kensou. His initial rekka isn't safe (EX is though) but I like his combos and anti-air. Thought I would stop by and ask for help.

Ex Iori and Mature.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sup KOF bros,

My votes would go to EX Kyo (The most complex Rekkas in the game!) and MAYBE Duo Lon (The crazy Mixup side or Rekkas).

EX Kyo's are VERY multi-purpose (They have guardpoint at their startup, so they can absorb normal attacks, plus the fire from them can even eat fireballs), which might be to your liking. His ground normals can also make decent AA's, not to mention his DP. His R.E.D kick might even feel something like Fei's Chicken Wing (ok, maybe not...)

Duo is a bit more plain with his Rekkas, but his other tools make him very interesting. His anti-airs are much more risky (High jump CDs and crouching Cs), but he works out really well if you can read your opponents and make them fall into traps and mixups well.

Terareflection also brings up good points with EX Iori and Mature.

Glad to hear you're liking Kensou, too!

Nyoro SF

EX Iori, EX Kyo, Mature or Duo Lon. Thanks guys, might balk a bit at paying for DLC but we'll see.

My second question is... where do you guys go for your maximum amount of match footage? Should I search NicoDouga or check out some sort of Youtube channel?

EX Iori, EX Kyo, Mature or Duo Lon. Thanks guys, might balk a bit at paying for DLC but we'll see.

My second question is... where do you guys go for your maximum amount of match footage? Should I search NicoDouga or check out some sort of Youtube channel?

Dream Cancel, Orochinagi, and SRK's KOF XIII sub forum are solid bets.

So, does anyone have a picture of the full invitation from the gallery? Apparently you have to do the trials to fully complete the picture, and I'm really not that adept at them. :/

So, does anyone have a picture of the full invitation from the gallery? Apparently you have to do the trials to fully complete the picture, and I'm really not that adept at them. :/

The guys at Dream Cancel mentioned that the invitation is tied to achievements and that you didn't need to to get the 200 trials achievement to get the full picture.

The guys at Dream Cancel mentioned that the invitation is tied to achievements and that you didn't need to to get the 200 trials achievement to get the full picture.

Well, I don't play online either and I have most of the other trophies and I'm still in the 70-80% range.

I just want to see the picture. :(

Did you get all the arcade endings?

Yep. The invitation is the only thing I'm missing in my gallery.

I'm going to wait until the patch before I start unlocking all the colors, so I'll try to get a few of the trophies I'm missing then, but most of what I need is rather related to online matches or the trials.

Here ya go (credit to http://www.mugenchina.org/dzbbs/index.php for the images)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/bansan.png

and a bonus the FF1 sub boss team image. (my new background)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/ed_028.png

I will upload more of the special images later.

I feel bad not posting in this thread after 3,500 posts and I contributed to the banner.

I have been enjoying this game, but I am not that great (and UMvC3/Zelda have been taking up my time). I really haven't gotten the hand of HD cancels, but I am ok at drive and super cancels.

I hope that SNKPlaymore keep the mode through until the next dream match though since I don't want all my hard work to go to waste.

Tizoc

Ah it's good to be back~
FERSIS, come here, boy, and gimme a hug, you child happy SNK hype machine~

SAB CA, how's a bout an Argentine Backbreaker for old time's sake~

cj_iwakura

4-6 characters DLC for XIII and then even more new characters for the next installment? SNK is so huge and loaded I'm sure it will happen. It doesn't take them forever to create one character in the new style at all.

And it doesn't matter how unique gameplay-wise etc you consider the BB characters to be, we are talking effort and quality when it comes to sprites. KOFXIII's are way above BB's in terms of quality, especially animation, not to mention they are done in the old pixel dot style.

Shame they don't understand netcode like ArcSys does.

Rocca

and a bonus the FF1 sub boss team image. (my new background)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/ed_028.png

I will upload more of the special images later.

I have been enjoying this game, but I am not that great (and UMvC3/Zelda have been taking up my time). I really haven't gotten the hand of HD cancels, but I am ok at drive and super cancels.

I hope that SNKPlaymore keep the mode through until the next dream match though since I don't want all my hard work to go to waste.

Seconded. Do love the game, but am quite bad at it. I can barely not even play on a pad when I play at work or outside of the house since many of the combos feel more regimented towards a stick (a first imo, I usually adapt to either).

The boss art is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

I have no idea what possessed SNK to make Karate's Break motion LP+LK, it just unnecessarily complicates HD combos for no apparent reason other than "why the fuck not?"

Yes yes, I understand that I can delay the break and not get have moves overlap during HD but just what the hell man?

Tizoc

^In Garou: Mark of the Wolves, each character had at least 1 move they can Break; and that is done by pressing LP+LK during the first frames of a move's animation (for some the timing is different). It's mainly in reference to that game (and Mr. Karate has Khushnood Butt's uppercut super).

I am more confused by why they gave him Jump Cancelable normals @_@

Top Bottom