• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Got the game on Friday and finally managed to pull of a max-cancel online with Leona, felt real good. I'm having execution issues with hops when playing over the net though, does lag have an effect on it or am I just cracking whenever I have a set-up?

Got the game on Friday and finally managed to pull of a max-cancel online with Leona, felt real good. I'm having execution issues with hops when playing over the net though, does lag have an effect on it or am I just cracking whenever I have a set-up?

Well, does it feel laggy to you? Have you played offline?

alstein

Sometimes connections can be surprisingly good- just had a 3 bar match with someone in Mexico, but when it gets solid, it's unstable.

I think if they could make the connections a little more stable and upped the bars, this would be decent enough netcode. So frustrating.

any good duo lon videos around? i don't know how to block his shit due to inexperience. there's one player that completely wrecks me.

Hadocon had a pretty good Duo by the name of LPN. I don't know when exactly in the stream he plays though, but the first two parts do have KOF.

http://www.twitch.tv/srklive/b/305488212

Do you have the Orochi girls team picture?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
To Haunts, N4US and any NorCal folks. I will be in the SF area for GDC and will most likely be around that sunday (the 11th?). I hope i can checkout southtown while im there and ideally come for support and feed the pot that sunday if the ranbat is that day

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So no one has to sort through Chinese message boards, I uploaded the one i got to megaupload. A bit higher quality than the ones i put to photobucket.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ERB087JD

It had all the edit team pics and story mode pics as well as character select and victory pics.
You're a god among men. Thank you very much!

Some awesome pictures here. * Gets new wallpaper *

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ah it's good to be back~
FERSIS, come here, boy, and gimme a hug, you child happy SNK hype machine~

SAB CA, how's a bout an Argentine Backbreaker for old time's sake~

Man, they need more gifs of SAB's! Consolation prize?

clark12-punch.gif

Welcome back!

I have no idea what possessed SNK to make Karate's Break motion LP+LK

I'm kinda happy it's those two. Better than 2 Punches or kicks, as that'd lead to mistaken EX cancels! Tizoc's point about the Garou-ref is a good one too, though I think it has more to do with Karate's actual moveset, and trying to avoid same-button overlaps, since he has EX-able moves on near every motion, VS Andy, who has fewer motions to mix up, and gets away with a 2 kick button break.

I am more confused by why they gave him Jump Cancelable normals @_@

How else would he use his Air-only Hienshippukyaku from normals? XD I really like the idea though, it adds something fresh and unique to him, that is fitting of a "master" character such as Takuma. Similiar to how Chin has all these insane abilities, but they require a-lot of deft movement and accute skill usage.

Also, as Pointed out in the KCE Vid, you can even jump-cancel Takuma's sweep (on hit) much how classic Takuma covers his sweeps with projectiles.

Glad they didn't make it so stupid as to let him jump cancel on block, lol. As well as making the free dash after his Strong Ko'ou Ken restricted on block, so he can't get absolute pressure after it.

I really like what they did with him. Liking him more than I'd have imagined at announcement, and he feels like there's always something new to figure out...

N4Us

To Haunts, N4US and any NorCal folks. I will be in the SF area for GDC and will most likely be around that sunday (the 11th?). I hope i can checkout southtown while im there and ideally come for support and feed the pot that sunday if the ranbat is that day

That's awesome, but unfortunately I'll be absent from the upcoming ranbat. Stop by though and roast Haunts, haha.

Tizoc

How else would he use his Air-only Hienshippukyaku from normals? XD I really like the idea though, it adds something fresh and unique to him, that is fitting of a "master" character such as Takuma. Similiar to how Chin has all these insane abilities, but they require a-lot of deft movement and accute skill usage.
Other characters have air special moves as well, and they don't have jump cancelable normals.

I'm kinda happy it's those two. Better than 2 Punches or kicks, as that'd lead to mistaken EX cancels! Tizoc's point about the Garou-ref is a good one too, though I think it has more to do with Karate's actual moveset, and trying to avoid same-button overlaps, since he has EX-able moves on near every motion, VS Andy, who has fewer motions to mix up, and gets away with a 2 kick button break.
I never had button overlap problems when breaking Andy's HCF+K @_@ In fact I don't see how that's possible in Andy's case at least since the Break only occurs when the hit connects; likewise with Mr. Karate I believe. Really one would have to test it out and see what happens when you mash PP after doing Mr. Karate's uppercut and see if anything happens.

Busaiku

Man, the thing I don't like about this franchise is that besides Terry, I can't be guaranteed that my next few favorite characters will be present in the next games.

Skilletor

In HD mode with Mr. Karate, when I do upper into break, I ALWAYS get a fireball if I don't continue to hold d/f. If I go to neutral when I do the cancel, I get a fireball. I don't have this problem with anybody else, just Mr. Karate. Super frustrating.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Other characters have air special moves as well, and they don't have jump cancelable normals.

I never had button overlap problems when breaking Andy's HCF+K @_@ In fact I don't see how that's possible in Andy's case at least since the Break only occurs when the hit connects; likewise with Mr. Karate I believe. Really one would have to test it out and see what happens when you mash PP after doing Mr. Karate's uppercut and see if anything happens.

Well.. yeah, you proved the 2 points I was making. Karate has a unique trait to him, that, while the tools are the same (comboing air moves), he has his own unique way to do it. Just like Leona has a command normal that makes her aerial, or how Hwa has multiple normal air special he can combo from air normals.

And that's what I was saying about Andy. He has no specials that'd be cancelled into off using 2 Kicks for cancel, and that's probably why they chose to make that the break command, rather than 2 weak attacks, which could mix with DP shortcuts or Zan'eiken from the punch press.

Man, the thing I don't like about this franchise is that besides Terry, I can't be guaranteed that my next few favorite characters will be present in the next games.

Generally, characters would stick around for a saga, and there's be a dream match, so I never realy personally felt like characters left "too soon", until XI -> XIII, really. And that's more for creative reasons than just wanting the characters out, or something of the sort.

I'm still pretty happy with what they're doing with who'se there, though. I really find more to like "per character" in this game than before, where there were so many extra oddities and similiar stuff between characters.

In HD mode with Mr. Karate, when I do upper into break, I ALWAYS get a fireball if I don't continue to hold d/f. If I go to neutral when I do the cancel, I get a fireball. I don't have this problem with anybody else, just Mr. Karate. Super frustrating.

In HD, the break just seems to work out better if you do it LATER, towards the end of the cancel window, than right around it's beginning. Less strict when cancels are semi-free, more strict when cancels could steal multiple types of meter from you.

I'm just glad he has to cancel FB -> DP, rather than the other way around. Way too easy to HSKK shortcut-cancel...

Tizoc

Well.. yeah, you proved the 2 points I was making. Karate has a unique trait to him, that, while the tools are the same (comboing air moves), he has his own unique way to do it. Just like Leona has a command normal that makes her aerial, or how Hwa has multiple normal air special he can combo from air normals.
As unique as that triat is it feels out of place to me @_@

Dave Long

Banned
I think SNK has done a great job of keeping the main cast of these games intact and progressing. I never tire of playing Terry even after 21 years of burning knuckles. I know people that came in much later have favorites that haven't been rolled into succeeding releases, but I think that's to be expected unless they become enormously popular like K' and his exclusion (and Mai's) from XII was not one of SNK's finest hours.

I kind of just roll with their choices, though. When Terry's appearance changed in Mark of the Wolves, I was jolted by it, but I've probably come to appreciate that look even better than the old trucker hat. Gamers in general need to be more open to change IMO, but I know that's not how this hobby works. People seem to want everything kind of the same, but prettier.

Nyoro SF

Does df ~ b still counts as hcb? For the life of me I can't do Clark's D ~ df A ~ dfb dfb super.

I don't think so. I can't get Kyo's DF + D xx HCB + D to work within a combo, it's notoriously unreliable as a cancel and I think if that shortcut was in there it wouldn't be so frustrating.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Does df ~ b still counts as hcb? For the life of me I can't do Clark's D ~ df A ~ dfb dfb super.

Naaa, going by the input interpeter, forward can't be substituted by a df, just an up-forward. (This also makes it so Leona can't keep a down charge after doing a grand saber with b~df.)

You also might be able to hold the punch to make it easier, as explained in the Button Buffer section.

I normally just find I have to do the move VERY fast after the A hit. I somehow still find this easier than doing the same with Goro, though I don't play Goro much at all, so that's probably why...

(As a random aside, I miss the old "qcb,f shortcut for "hcb,F" that was introduced in XII. It made run-up crouch normals into command throws so much easier!)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
mr. karate can't seem to go through K's projectiles with his ex grab. any other?

Well, is just doesn't work that way. It has a long startup (which he can be hit out of), and when it gets there, it seems to be more of a "Shen" style grab (which has 4 frames of startup on console) rather than a true grapplers (1 frame). So if he "wakes up" from the warp with a hitbox out, he'll get hit.

Athena's EX psycho ball can catch him, due to this. As can appearing in one of Ash's flame kisses. But he can appear past stuff that has a further-out area of activation (such as Andy's Hishouken, which spawns around his wrist/palm.)

I love tossing invisible Kou'ken's through fireball startup at Round start, though, lol. K' and King's all love to start matches with projectiles, and so many Roberts have learned to HSK to stop your initial moves. But Karate can counter them swiftly by Kou'ken. (Though it has a bit of recovery, so if you guess wrong, they can get a free jump-in.)

i tried doing the ex grab while the projectile was in the middle twice. karate got hit in the middle of the screen twice. it works vs most other i've tested online.

the Kou'ken is great. i've caught so many people in air with it as well.

Although not the greatest size (just for anyone interested in avatar material) just change the url to find another one.

have all those chibi icons

i_82_101.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficon/i_82_78.png

to

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficon/i_82_115.png

Found the character emblems as well

profile_i_chara_25.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficonetc/profile_i_chara_00.png

to

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficonetc/profile_i_chara_25.png

and team emblems

profile_i_team_00.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficonetc/profile_i_team_00.png

to

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficonetc/profile_i_team_09.png

As well as those random emblems like Anton and the sacred treasures.

profile_i_02.png

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficonetc/profile_i_00.png

to

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/koficonetc/profile_i_24.png

I'll upload something else to megaupload in the next couple of days that contains all the story art just so its out there.

Shadow780

Naaa, going by the input interpeter, forward can't be substituted by a df, just an up-forward. (This also makes it so Leona can't keep a down charge after doing a grand saber with b~df.)

You also might be able to hold the punch to make it easier, as explained in the Button Buffer section.

I normally just find I have to do the move VERY fast after the A hit. I somehow still find this easier than doing the same with Goro, though I don't play Goro much at all, so that's probably why...

(As a random aside, I miss the old "qcb,f shortcut for "hcb,F" that was introduced in XII. It made run-up crouch normals into command throws so much easier!)

I see.

Also missed doing Terry/Kim's super shortcut with qcb+f motion too.

Fersis

This one is so damn awesome
i_82_114.png

Thank you GekigangerV!

ScOULaris

Alright, so I'm thinking of picking up KOF XIII sometime this month. Has the online been patched and improved at all since release?

Fersis

I hope they dont release the color unlock today... i have 0 PSN bucks :(

Top Bottom