• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Right to crazies out there. How the hell do you do k' level 3 trial? That qcb then qcb immediately is just impossible.

There has to be a shortcut somewhere

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You and me both my friend.

And i dont care if its 'casual' i want to edit mah colorz!

The Color Edit unlock CAME OUT TODAY on XBL. 240 points ($3) for it. First thing I thought about when seeing it was "Fersis will be happy!"

As far as interesting color edits, some I've made:
Green Tengu Takuma
Geese Color's Kim and Mr. Karate
Li Xiangfei Chin and Kim
Hsien Ko Duo Lon
Cyborg (Teen Titans) Maxima (kinda iffy)
--- Raven and Starfire Leona's
Manly Mega Man Maxima
Rad Spencer Maxima
Sailor Mercury Athena
Annette (El Viento) Leona
Robert, styled like the Silver-hair'd guy from El Viento (Yay obscurity!)
viento-plot6.gif

(Tried to make Terry and Robert Earnest Evans... need better browns!)
Classic Leona colors (Red undershirt, blue bottom shows, green pants, blue hair) for:
-- Takuma
-- Robert
-- Leona...!
-- Duo Lon
Black with Neon-Green stipes "Lazer" Hwa Jai
Grey Gargoyle-inspired Hwa Jai
Gen'an Chin (Samsho)
Master Roshi-inspired Chin
Rei Ayanami Chin... just because....
Joker Vice
Fire Succubus-ish Vice
LORD J RYO! (Yeah, feel the power of Brawl Brothers! That guy on the left)
brawllarge.jpg

(Now I want a Lord J Maxima, too... Should make a Kazan Andy too, that ninja there... and a Wendy Yuri...)

And then a bunch of original colors that just fit my taste.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Color Edit unlock CAME OUT TODAY on XBL. 240 points ($3) for it. First thing I thought about when seeing it was "Fersis will be happy!"

As far as interesting color edits, some I've made:
Green Tengu Takuma
Geese Color's Kim and Mr. Karate
Li Xiangfei Chin and Kim
Hsien Ko Duo Lon
Cyborg (Teen Titans) Maxima (kinda iffy)
--- Raven and Starfire Leona's
Manly Mega Man Maxima
Rad Spencer Maxima
Sailor Mercury Athena
Annette (El Viento) Leona
Robert, styled like the Silver-hair'd guy from El Viento (Yay obscurity!)
viento-plot6.gif

(Tried to make Terry and Robert Earnest Evans... need better browns!)
Classic Leona colors (Red undershirt, blue bottom shows, green pants, blue hair) for:
-- Takuma
-- Robert
-- Leona...!
-- Duo Lon
Black with Neon-Green stipes "Lazer" Hwa Jai
Grey Gargoyle-inspired Hwa Jai
Gen'an Chin (Samsho)
Master Roshi-inspired Chin
Rei Ayanami Chin... just because....
Joker Vice
Fire Succubus-ish Vice
LORD J RYO! (Yeah, feel the power of Brawl Brothers! That guy on the left)
brawllarge.jpg

(Now I want a Lord J Maxima, too... Should make a Kazan Andy too, that ninja there... and a Wendy Yuri...)

And then a bunch of original colors that just fit my taste.
Really? Today? Just when im out of PSN bucks (For buying EX Kyo and Mr Karate)??
>___<

Oh and you sure seem happy with the DLC. Sailor Mercury Athena?? The hell? ;)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Really? Today? Just when im out of PSN bucks (For buying EX Kyo and Mr Karate)??
>___<

Oh and you sure seem happy with the DLC. Sailor Mercury Athena?? The hell? ;)

Oh, I didn't buy the DLC, I never had problems with my colors... Even if I did, the 1000+ online matches probably won me a "no glitch for you!" pass for the number of crappy-wireless-feeling connections I've faced at times, lol.

And Yeah, Sailor Mercury Athena! LoL. If I played her more, I'd probably also have made the Magic Knight Rayearth girls, as I believe Sibarraz did, haha.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait, so what's special about the Color Edit DLC?
Is it different than the standard unlocks?
You get the colors for all characters.

My color unlocks got bugged so i had to unlock the same color row about 3-4 times.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So if I played enough with all the characters, I shouldn't worry about the DLC?

Exactly. It's something like 30 matches to unlock the full colors. Per character. So if you do 30 with the same team, all 3 of those people get all their colors unlocked.

People have been having glitches (like Fersis), where the colors do NOT save after earning them, so many await this DLC to take away the glitch.

Fersis

Happy B-Day Fersis <3
The King Of Fighters XIII Unlock Customize Colors ($2.99)
Hahahahah

They released the DLC just when im out of PSN bucks. Gonna try to get a PSN Card ASAP

BadWolf

Does DLC get tied to the PS3 or an individual account? Like if I play under a different account on the same system will I still be able to access the color edit DLC?

Feel a little stupid paying for this since I've been using pretty much the entire cast online and would have unlocked most of them by now had it not been for the glitch.

LegatoB

Does DLC get tied to the PS3 or an individual account? Like if I play under a different account on the same system will I still be able to access the color edit DLC?

Feel a little stupid paying for this since I've been using pretty much the entire cast online and would have unlocked most of them by now had it not been for the glitch.
As long as the account that bought the DLC is on the PS3, any account on the system can use it.

Enordash

Definitely a nice surprise with the DLC last night. I immediately bought it and made a bunch of crazy customs. I like the idea of having a color theme across all three characters. It just looks neat.

I went online yesterday and finally found some people at my same skill level (super beginner). I think I'm a level 4 or 5 Pawn (mostly because I can beat my friends). The best connection was still a three bar, and that can get frustrating. Good, fun games overall though.

I think I finally decided to go with Iori/Mr. Karate/Benimaru. I think that Iori and Benimaru provide a good contrast, so you can adapt to any situation necessary. I'm still slightly up in the air about Mr. Karate though. My character movement in general is pretty poor. I really need to work on it if I'm going to rush down with 2/3 characters.

vg260

Sorry if this has been beaten to death here, but what is the consensus on the online? I'm thinking about picking this up.

alstein

Sorry if this has been beaten to death here, but what is the consensus on the online? I'm thinking about picking this up.

It's on par with SC4. That is to say, you can find folks to play with (I've had 4-bar matches about 200 miles away), but it's usually not very good.

Enordash

Hm, ok.
It's $40 on amazon, but I may have to pass then.

Thanks.

It's still a great game that's worth the buy. 4 bar matches are at least playable. This usually means having a friend in the area with the game though. If you were close enough to me, I'd play, lol.

Shadow780

Let's not beat around the bush, online is shit. Playable is not acceptable in this day and age, even 4 bars can be inconsistent.

Great game if you can play locally or have casual fun online.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My Online Matches leave me with these connection impressions:

4 - If you find them, normally very good. IF THE PERSON IS WIRED internet. Wireless introduces some hiccups. Thankfully, most Xbox players (especially of fighters) use Wired, so if you find these, it can be a joy. Pretty much pure Skill VS Skill.

3 - A bit lower quality than 4, but still playable. The majority of solid fights online are usually with 3s. May make it harder to do VERY specific stuff, but is more than able to handle the majority of combat. Aggro players will find almost no change to their overall execution and pressure game at this connection speed. Defense is harder, and you might fall into more high/low mixup than you wish, but most online players really don't play the game that tightly. I'd wager most stream players don't play the game that solidly!

2 - Higher 2s feel almost like 3s. Lower ones feel like there's ALWAYS something a bit off. The game becomes more "predictive" than it already is due to this, because it's hard to keep up the reaction speed to counter fast pressure. Still possible, though, and most people don't play in a such a way where this is a HUGE issue.

1 - Oy. I've had some ones that just have delay, I can deal with that... but then, I've had others that not only have delay, but periodic momentary freezes (I assume these to be wireless users especially.) I hate this type, as there's no "getting used to it". This kind of connection forces everything to be spammy and random, and takes almost all strategy out of the game.

I still stand by the fact that more of KoF works at an easier execution level than something like SF or UMVC3, so it's easier for me to get a satisfying KoF online experience than one in those games. I find more combo consistency issues with UMVC3 than I do with KoFXIII online, personally.

I do find my timing changing slightly when jumping between mass amounts of offline and online play, but it's not enough to totally mess me up. I play characters like Leona, Mr. Karate, and Chin also, who have some strict timing to their tactics and combos, and I still manage to use them effectively, even aganist spam.

Dave Long

Banned
SAB CA gets it. 4's and 3's are great to very good on Xbox 360. Quality of your connection and that of your opponent is really the key. If you're the type that always bitches about online gaming, then your connection is probably not very good and you shouldn't expect great things from this game online.

If you rarely experience issues online, this game will be very entertaining much of the time online. You'll be bitching about your lack of skill instead of lack of packets.

SoulFist

I'm about to pick this up this afternoon. If any players in the south want to add me for some games, it would be much obliged. My XBL gamertag is SoulFist7

vg260

SAB CA gets it. 4's and 3's are great to very good on Xbox 360. Quality of your connection and that of your opponent is really the key. If you're the type that always bitches about online gaming, then your connection is probably not very good and you shouldn't expect great things from this game online.

If you rarely experience issues online, this game will be very entertaining much of the time online. You'll be bitching about your lack of skill instead of lack of packets.

Thanks. This is making it a tough call. I have no local friends into fighters. I'm actually pretty tolerant of lag online, but am used to SFIV or MvC3 level-lag. I'm mediocre at best. I just don't really want to invest in or support a poorly done job if that makes sense. I thought primarily sprite-based fighters (BB, KOF, SF3) don't have as much of an excuse for poor netcode. (i.e. more free CPU power)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks. This is making it a tough call. I have no local friends into fighters. I'm actually pretty tolerant of lag online, but am used to SFIV or MvC3 level-lag. I'm mediocre at best. I just don't really want to invest in or support a poorly done job if that makes sense. I thought primarily sprite-based fighters (BB, KOF, SF3) don't have as much of an excuse for poor netcode. (i.e. more free CPU power)

KoF XIII has a bit more of an excuse, as it's not just rendering 2D characters with 3D Backgrounds + Lack of crowds / background inhabitants, but full on 720p spritework for complex backgrounds and well animated, changing BG characters, as well as stages that change in between rounds, plus well animated spritework for the (lower native resolution) characters.

The only thing that can really compare to it in this regard is Skullgirls, really. And it was designed from the ground-up with GGPO and online in mind, so it gets a bit of an advantage there.

Older KoF's however, should have no real excuse, VS something like SFIII.

Do you have a local scene, though?

alstein

I'd say SAB's opinion on 360 connections holds true for PS3- I feel the same way.

One exception- some 3's are terrible, but I assume that's because they use wireless.

Also occasionally in player matches the bars in the lobby won't match what you get in the fight screen, and sometimes it changes from day to day with some players.

I've gotten a 4 with Discoshark once, but usually it's a 3.

Enordash

Anyone here close to WVU's campus? Pittsburgh maybe? I'm hoping to find someone I can get a reasonable connection to for training. I don't really believe there is a local scene around where I live.

My Online Matches leave me with these connection impressions:

4 - If you find them, normally very good. IF THE PERSON IS WIRED internet. Wireless introduces some hiccups. Thankfully, most Xbox players (especially of fighters) use Wired, so if you find these, it can be a joy. Pretty much pure Skill VS Skill.

3 - A bit lower quality than 4, but still playable. The majority of solid fights online are usually with 3s. May make it harder to do VERY specific stuff, but is more than able to handle the majority of combat. Aggro players will find almost no change to their overall execution and pressure game at this connection speed. Defense is harder, and you might fall into more high/low mixup than you wish, but most online players really don't play the game that tightly. I'd wager most stream players don't play the game that solidly!

2 - Higher 2s feel almost like 3s. Lower ones feel like there's ALWAYS something a bit off. The game becomes more "predictive" than it already is due to this, because it's hard to keep up the reaction speed to counter fast pressure. Still possible, though, and most people don't play in a such a way where this is a HUGE issue.

1 - Oy. I've had some ones that just have delay, I can deal with that... but then, I've had others that not only have delay, but periodic momentary freezes (I assume these to be wireless users especially.) I hate this type, as there's no "getting used to it". This kind of connection forces everything to be spammy and random, and takes almost all strategy out of the game.

I still stand by the fact that more of KoF works at an easier execution level than something like SF or UMVC3, so it's easier for me to get a satisfying KoF online experience than one in those games. I find more combo consistency issues with UMVC3 than I do with KoFXIII online, personally.

I do find my timing changing slightly when jumping between mass amounts of offline and online play, but it's not enough to totally mess me up. I play characters like Leona, Mr. Karate, and Chin also, who have some strict timing to their tactics and combos, and I still manage to use them effectively, even aganist spam.

i have the same experience on PS3, but i've been posting that at least once a week, so i might sound like a broken record by now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
*Brofist ReXXX!*

Wow, I never would have expected there to be netcode apologists.

It's a great game with substandard online.

I just get tired of hearing how "Atrocious" it is, especially when watching streams of people who look like they have little KoF experience, giving such weighty comments. You CAN learn the depth of KoF with this quality online play. You can HD, you can drive cancel, you can link, or just normal > command normal... it all works, if both players connection is worth something / are fairly close to each other. (Of course, there are always exceptions, as stated above.)

The negativity is just a bit overblown, I feel. Maybe you could say I find it more "standard" level.

i have the same experience on PS3, but i've been posting that at least once a week, so i might sound like a broken record by now.

XD don't worry about it too much, there's always a new ear that needs to hear impressions. Which I'm glad about, mind you. The game's quality continues to draw interest!

Fersis

Got a PSN card. HOW ABOUT THAT?
* Spends 3 hours dressing Elisabeth *

Fersis

So going by this, if you purchase the DLC, it will kill the glitch. But, it remains if you don't activate it?
You can get the unlocks by playing Versus. (Arcade, Story and Online seem to be bugged)

Top Bottom