• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

vg260

Assuming that your only experience with fighters is with SF4 and MVC3, you might want to pass on this game, it does have somewhat of a learning curve.

I'm not to worried about that, as I've been playing fighters since SF2. I'm just tired of not playing humans, and have to rely on online to do so. Sounds like waiting out a patch is best.

Enordash

This is perhaps the dumbest thing that I could have done, but in the middle of learning KoF, I'm going to switch from a pad to a stick with the incredibly weird A C B D layout (A being my thumb). After playing SF, my mind wants the punches and kicks to be side by side. Of course, this has already caused some awesome problems with rolling, HD, and EX moves. I think it will be worth it in the end though. I'm sure not everyone would agree.

When people are searching for matches, how many lobbies usually show up? I can safely say that the most I've ever seen is four. Usually it's one or two. I'm playing Player Matches though. Are most people in Ranked?

This is perhaps the dumbest thing that I could have done, but in the middle of learning KoF, I'm going to switch from a pad to a stick with the incredibly weird A C B D layout (A being my thumb). After playing SF, my mind wants the punches and kicks to be side by side. Of course, this has already caused some awesome problems with rolling, HD, and EX moves. I think it will be worth it in the end though. I'm sure not everyone would agree.

When people are searching for matches, how many lobbies usually show up? I can safely say that the most I've ever seen is four. Usually it's one or two. I'm playing Player Matches though. Are most people in Ranked?

Just set the buttons in a way that makes you feel comfortable, the default motions are basically just a starting point for newer players.

I never played online, but most decent players, I think, would be on Player Matches, because Ranked connections are not the greatest.

No one cares about her. It's mercury or nothing.
I don't understand why the Japanese have such a huge hard-on for her.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok finished editing every character now i can finally start playing. :3

Tizoc

No one cares about her. It's mercury or nothing.

Yeah, Mercury = waifu

Uranus does Jupiter better than Jupiter and has hot lesbian girlfriend assist.

URANUS WORLD SHAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sure ya'all aren't just ticked that Jupiter appears in more H-Doujins than the others?

I don't understand why the Japanese have such a huge hard-on for her.
Reading her description on Wikipedia, I guess the Japanese like her tomboy-ish personality?

Back on topic-
@henhowc- There are some colors already unlocked in the Color Edit mode; the DLC unlocks extra colors and customization options.

Speaking of which...anyone else find Mr. Karate's alt. colors so...unimpressive?

I'm so dumb, I just realized that Southtown Arcade is a KOF reference. No wonder it's so popular up here in SF.

After watching the tutorial videos with KANE and James Chen, this seems like a really really fun game. Still, I don't know anything about the characters except for Terry Bogard and my boy Kevin Rian who apparently hasn't been in a game for like 15 years or some bullshit. I don't know if it'd be a good idea to start this game since Soul V is coming out next week, and I still plan on playing MVC3 and Persona 4U when it comes out.

I'm so dumb, I just realized that Southtown Arcade is a KOF reference. No wonder it's so popular up here in SF.

After watching the tutorial videos with KANE and James Chen, this seems like a really really fun game. Still, I don't know anything about the characters except for Terry Bogard and my boy Kevin Rian who apparently hasn't been in a game for like 15 years or some bullshit. I don't know if it'd be a good idea to start this game since Soul V is coming out next week, and I still plan on playing MVC3 and Persona 4U when it comes out.

I can understand if you may not have the time to dedicate towards the game as you'd like, but I'd still recommend giving it a few plays if you have a local scene or to pick it up down the line at a price you're comfortable with. Who knows, you may end up enjoying KOF more than SC or Persona. Still, I'm glad that the Chen/Kane videos are available, and hope that Chen continues to produce some sort of kof related material with Ultradavid in their new project that they have.

You sure ya'all aren't just ticked that Jupiter appears in more H-Doujins than the others?

Reading her description on Wikipedia, I guess the Japanese like her tomboy-ish personality?

My crush on Ami Mizuno has nothing to with any of the other girls. I just like her best and people tend to do the same. On my list Makoto is in Tier 2 of the Inner Senshi with Minako. Usagi is bottom tier and Rei is Tier 1 with Ami.

And it's easier to put Jupiter in a futa position than the others.

Why don't you try the demo?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm suprised at all the Ami / Mercury love <3 LoL. I've always liked the "Smart" characters, and thing Water-based powers are very cool, so she's the perfect character type for me from that show.

Guess it's also always easy to fall for the tech-savy girls in such shows too, being gamers and all...

On 360, I play Ranked a lot of the time (Sure, I hate bad connections, but I'm willing to try), and more people seem to show up there )but I think that's more because matches flow faster.) I've always been under the impression that SNKP games on XBL have more ranked players than player matches, because ranked normally "means more" than players.

On XIII, I noticed that people generally stick to what they know. The ranked players barely play and players matches, and vice versa.

I've also notice, though, that the high Player match people are generally better players. Due to not having to put up with shifting lag (since you can kick people out), they play more "legit" than the higher Ranked people, who seem to rely more on lag tactics a lot of the time.

(Ironically, I have much more Ranked battles than Players, but try to play EVERYTHING by "legit" rules... a bad habit, but that's just my KOF way! or somethning...)

Speaking of which...anyone else find Mr. Karate's alt. colors so...unimpressive?

In a way, yeah. But then I remember it's basically a 2nd take at coloring that came "character", as they want him to look different than Takuma's mask Alt. Doesn't matter much to me in the end, as it's just an excuse to make my own colors, lol.

KoF XIII Ralf plays SOMETHING like Garou's Kevin, so at least you'd have that too.

For me, I don't think any upcoming fighter will overtake my love for XIII, as it's systems and Characters just AGREE with me. Soul Calibur might have a chance if it had Talim (ha), but really, I generally give time for at least 1 2d and 1 3D (gameplay?) fighter at a time, so they don't really compete.

If money is not an obstacle, then I'd easily suggest getting XIII (or DLing the Demo, as suggested previously).

I do feel that my love of meter-management in KoF will probably be best served by Sould Calibur V right now, too. So in that particular respect, they compliment each other well; probably better than any of the known fighters we're getting this year...

Does anyone know where I can get the icons from the game? I want to use a few as my avatar. Someone posted it a few pages back but it was on megaupload.

XenoRaven

I really really want to buy this game, but if it has crappy netcode I will regret it. So I need advice from some people in the field. Online: good, bad, or ok?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really really want to buy this game, but if it has crappy netcode I will regret it. So I need advice from some people in the field. Online: good, bad, or ok?

The demo tells you enough about it. SNK/Suckmore strikes again.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

We just had this conversation 1 page ago:

My Online Matches leave me with these connection impressions:

4 - If you find them, normally very good. IF THE PERSON IS WIRED internet. Wireless introduces some hiccups. Thankfully, most Xbox players (especially of fighters) use Wired, so if you find these, it can be a joy. Pretty much pure Skill VS Skill.

3 - A bit lower quality than 4, but still playable. The majority of solid fights online are usually with 3s. May make it harder to do VERY specific stuff, but is more than able to handle the majority of combat. Aggro players will find almost no change to their overall execution and pressure game at this connection speed. Defense is harder, and you might fall into more high/low mixup than you wish, but most online players really don't play the game that tightly. I'd wager most stream players don't play the game that solidly!

2 - Higher 2s feel almost like 3s. Lower ones feel like there's ALWAYS something a bit off. The game becomes more "predictive" than it already is due to this, because it's hard to keep up the reaction speed to counter fast pressure. Still possible, though, and most people don't play in a such a way where this is a HUGE issue.

1 - Oy. I've had some ones that just have delay, I can deal with that... but then, I've had others that not only have delay, but periodic momentary freezes (I assume these to be wireless users especially.) I hate this type, as there's no "getting used to it". This kind of connection forces everything to be spammy and random, and takes almost all strategy out of the game.

I still stand by the fact that more of KoF works at an easier execution level than something like SF or UMVC3, so it's easier for me to get a satisfying KoF online experience than one in those games. I find more combo consistency issues with UMVC3 than I do with KoFXIII online, personally.

I do find my timing changing slightly when jumping between mass amounts of offline and online play, but it's not enough to totally mess me up. I play characters like Leona, Mr. Karate, and Chin also, who have some strict timing to their tactics and combos, and I still manage to use them effectively, even aganist spam.

SAB CA gets it. 4's and 3's are great to very good on Xbox 360. Quality of your connection and that of your opponent is really the key. If you're the type that always bitches about online gaming, then your connection is probably not very good and you shouldn't expect great things from this game online.

If you rarely experience issues online, this game will be very entertaining much of the time online. You'll be bitching about your lack of skill instead of lack of packets.

I'd say SAB's opinion on 360 connections holds true for PS3- I feel the same way.

One exception- some 3's are terrible, but I assume that's because they use wireless.

Also occasionally in player matches the bars in the lobby won't match what you get in the fight screen, and sometimes it changes from day to day with some players.

I've gotten a 4 with Discoshark once, but usually it's a 3.

i have the same experience on PS3, but i've been posting that at least once a week, so i might sound like a broken record by now.

------------

So what are the chances of a decent connection between California and Ohio?

Assimong you both have average internet connections, it'd probably come up as a 2 or rarely a "low" 3.

Enordash

I broke down and bought Flame Iori last night. He's pretty freakin' awesome. I was really hoping not to like him because I've been using Claw Iori for a bit now. With Flame Iori, I do love the (QCF x 4) + AC to add on to one of his DMs. I'm finally able to get into a groove in training mode now. I just need to translate that over to actual matches!

hypernima

Banned
Still looking for matches on PSN but another question

Any Yuri users here? How do I do her Air f+B and also

Mai and Benimaru's air grab, can't figure that out lol

BadWolf

Still looking for matches on PSN but another question

Any Yuri users here? How do I do her Air f+B and also

Mai and Benimaru's air grab, can't figure that out lol

Yuri's dive kick? Its jump then Down Forward+B.

You do normal air throws (like Mai, Beni, Clark etc) just like you do them on the ground, jump and press forward and punch when close to the opponent in the air.

Edgeward

Yea, you have to do forward and heavy to get the air throw, up forward won't get you the throw as you'll find out if you do her trials.

Tobe

i just read about fersis being part of the IPW crew. Congrats dude, representing that south american KOF and GAF proudly.

I don't see many Daimons, Raidens, Saikis, Ryos (saw one earlier today), Chins, Vices, or Joes though.

most of these are quite popular in europe. except for daimon, but i know a good daimon player offline. saiki was more popular at the beginning, chin is naturally rare.

alstein

most of these are quite popular in europe. except for daimon, but i know a good daimon player offline. saiki was more popular at the beginning, chin is naturally rare.

That could be it. The level of online play that's of good connections near me is pretty low- so I don't see a lot of unusual chars.

I know I'm being hurt by the online, I got exposed whenever I step up in class, this game does plenty to make you feel like a giant fraud.

grr im running into the issue where trying to do multiple qcfs come out into dps instead (specifically when trying to do the Ex Kyo rekka loop in HD mode) I try ressetting the stick in between to keep the motions as clean as possible but then im too slow =(. I guess i keep at it and just rely on more simple combos atm.

Edgeward

grr im running into the issue where trying to do multiple qcfs come out into dps instead (specifically when trying to do the Ex Kyo rekka loop in HD mode) I try ressetting the stick in between to keep the motions as clean as possible but then im too slow =(. I guess i keep at it and just rely on more simple combos atm.

If you end them in up forward doesn't it then register as qcf?

Top Bottom