• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Grokbu

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.
No probs!

I just went into offline vs and counted how long the loading times are there, and from when I pressed X and picked the stage to when the match screen popped up was about 6.5 seconds. This was with 3on3, all different teams and the dojo stage.

That's an improvement, right?

EDIT: This is with the game installed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Guys im trying to get a stick could you give me your opinion in this thread?

Rising Star Games posted the change log:
Rising Star Games said:
  • Ranked Match Filtering: one of the most requested additions; players may now set conditions for their opponent's connection. When a player who doesn't meet the standby conditions tries to enter the Ranked match, a warning message will be displayed and the match cancelled.
  • Improved Filtering: filtering functionality in general is dramatically improved. Previously, certain connection data was insufficiently filtered and the player had a chance of connecting to opponents with poor connection quality. Now, more aggressive filtering should ensure that players are only matched with opponents who meet their filter settings.
  • Improved Connection Antenna: the computation behind the players' connection antenna, the meter indicating the quality of a player's connection, has been improved, resulting in a more accurate and consistent measurement.
  • Temporarily Saved Custom Match Settings: players may continue searching for opponents with the same settings as long as the player remains in the PLAYER MATCH/RANKED MATCH menu.
  • Character-specific Bug Fixes: NESTS-Style Kyo and Iori with the Power of Flames no longer become unresponsive under certain circumstances.
  • Additional refinements, fixes, and more!

Grokbu

Wow. You guys can Forget what I've said about the netcode.

As I mentioned earlier, I suddenly started having slowdowns, even in 4 bar matches. Well, I decided to try and play directly via the modem, instead of via the router (the ps3 was in dmz btw) and the slowdowns and random lag spikes are gone!

I'm gonna give it a couple of matches to see how I feel about the delay, but it is better. I'm just so glad that I finally know why it acted so weird.

Gonna try to play around with the dns to see if that's what's causing it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Not out in US yet. Guessing this afternoon, but I'll be playing SC for a while.

KOF might just have been one week too late on this patch for its online community.

Same here, but I'm eager to try out the patch. I see that the color unlock DLC came out for 360...is up for PS3 too? I actually want to get it since I cannot seem to unlock colors on the PS3 version, whereas all the characters I use on 360 got everything unlocked really fast.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Same here, but I'm eager to try out the patch. I see that the color unlock DLC came out for 360...is up for PS3 too? I actually want to get it since I cannot seem to unlock colors on the PS3 version, whereas all the characters I use on 360 got everything unlocked really fast.
The patch fixed the color unlock bug but you can unlock it for $2.99.
I bought it ^__^-d (PSN)

Wow. You guys can Forget what I've said about the netcode.

As I mentioned earlier, I suddenly started having slowdowns, even in 4 bar matches. Well, I decided to try and play directly via the modem, instead of via the router (the ps3 was in dmz btw) and the slowdowns and random lag spikes are gone!

I'm gonna give it a couple of matches to see how I feel about the delay, but it is better. I'm just so glad that I finally know why it acted so weird.

Gonna try to play around with the dns to see if that's what's causing it.

That's means that I cannot play in college, fail.

Grokbu

That's means that I cannot play in college, fail.
Hrm, I don't think that this is something that has affected others, rather that it is my own network that's causing the issue.

The thing is that I had these problems before the patch came out and I haven't heard about anyone else having these problems.

I don't think that you should be worried about it.

Hrm, I don't think that this is something that has affected others, rather that it is my own network that's causing the issue.

The thing is that I had these problems before the patch came out and I haven't heard about anyone else having these problems.

I don't think that you should be worried about it.

I see, but still, don't play on wireless guys.

alstein

My guess is from playing a bit

More 4 bars then before- 4 might be slightly worse then before but still very good to excellent
2 bars is playable
3 can be very good or just playable.
1 bar is now easily avoided.

Played my first match, 3 bars, on wireless college connection.

Slowdowns a plenty, however I didn't have much of a problem with input lag. Or at least the slowdown was so bad I couldn't do anything fancy. It felt like playing a bad GGPO match.

Managed a DC combo with Mature, couldn't play Liz worth shit. I wasn't frustrated like in Tekken 5: DR. So there's that.

I blame wireless.

Set the latency to four in practice mode and couldn't find anyone after 10 minutes beforehand, so I went to quick match, which was the match I played.

alstein

So 2 bar has been improved? How does it compare to the old 3 bar?

Slightly better then before, so like a low end 3 bar.

I'm not that fancy with combos so I'm probably impacted less, except when playing Hwa Jai, I have a hard time getting his Drunken Loop.

Fersis

PSN Store updated with this:
The King Of Fighters XIII Unlock Icons ($2.99)
The entire Customize Icon set for personalizing your online match profile is available to purchase. *These icons can also be unlocked by playing the game. With the triumphant return of fan favorite characters like Mai, K’, and Vice, extensive refinement of the core fighting engine based on community feedback, and vastly improved network functionality, THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII represents the HD entry in the series that fans have been waiting for.
File size 6 KB

For what it's worth, I was able to get in a 1-bar match, and I'd say that it had the same amount of lag as a 2-bar connection pre-patch. Oddly enough, the game didn't pause to do that whole "Synchronizing..." bit like it used to. I want to play more randoms before I say anything definitive on the netcode, though.

But I can vouch for the custom colors working properly now. A few that had disappeared on me came back after the patch was installed on my system.
Now my Beni-Marge edit can run free once more!

Fersis

Just had a 3 bar and 4 bar matches.... same as before is like playing underwater.
Oh theres an annoying stutter in the order select screen.

Well at least they fixed bugs.

Busaiku

3 Bar matches have been good for the most part.
4 Bar matches vary though, which is weird, most worse than my 3 Bar matches.

I have been getting input lag throughout though.
I also got a 1 Bar match when selecting 3 Bar and Up as well.

It's definitely much better than before, but still not that great.

i had a 3 hour test session.

i'd say online is 30-40% better now. there is more stutter while playing unstable connections, but much less input delay now. i think that's better. i can play people now that were unplayable previously, due to input lag. now i can get adequate results, where previously i couldn't.

colors unlock properly as well. patch needs more testing, but for now i'd call it a good patch.

PSN Store updated with this:
The King Of Fighters XIII Unlock Icons ($2.99)
The entire Customize Icon set for personalizing your online match profile is available to purchase. *These icons can also be unlocked by playing the game. With the triumphant return of fan favorite characters like Mai, K’, and Vice, extensive refinement of the core fighting engine based on community feedback, and vastly improved network functionality, THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII represents the HD entry in the series that fans have been waiting for.
File size 6 KB

that's kinda lame. barely any incentive to do trials now due to this.

i had a 3 hour test session.

i'd say online is 30-40% better now. there is more stutter while playing unstable connections, but much less input delay now. i think that's better. i can play people now that were unplayable previously, due to input lag. now i can get adequate results, where previously i couldn't.

colors unlock properly as well. patch needs more testing, but for now i'd call it a good patch.

that's kinda lame. barely any incentive to do trials now due to this.

More like SNKP trying rake as much money as humanity possible from extremely lazy gamers with too much money on their hands.

Online is showing me that I really need to take my own advice, I am letting people get away with way too much stuff.

Oh mah gawww....Load times are so much better on PS3 (installed) though you'll have to do with a little bit of cosmetic stutter during the "pose!" on the character select. Much less rhythm lost between matches now!

Fersis

Yeah the loading times are quite faster now. They werent too long before ... but shorter load times are always welcomed.

It nows saves the practice mode settings during a session:
A Little example

Before patch:
1) Go to Practice Mode
2) Set Player 1 Power Meter to Infinite
3) Leave Practice Mode
4) Enter Practice Mode
3) Player 1 Power Meter is at 0

After patch:
1) Go to Practice Mode
2) Set Player 1 Power Meter to Infinite
3) Leave Practice Mode
4) Enter Practice Mode
3) Player 1 Power Meter is at Infinite

(Its session wide so its lost when you quit the game)
It did that before the patch too.

rivals

(Its session wide so its lost when you quit the game)

Ugh at least it's slightly better now but that's one of the more irritating things to me.

EDIT: Hrm I guess I never leave and enter training within the same session, I just wish it would save across quitting the game. It's annoying to reset all that stuff every time I want to practice.

A reminder. Local Battles in North Jersey will be having a KOF Ranbat (I think it'll be streamed as well?) on Thursday, and I implore anybody local to the area to come out so we can try and jump start our own little scene. I will be attending as well, so I hope i don't go 0-2 lol

Enjoying this more after the patch and now I how all the colour edit options.

Cool seeing everyone's colour choices online, although waaaay too many people are rolling with all-black teams, boring.

Still some lag in a lot of my matches though, which is hard to deal with when the controls are so precise.
I keep getting locked down in the corner, so frustrating.

Seems to be a lot more good players online now. I just played two people in a row with over 1000 wins and under 20 losses. They were good but not that good... ragequitters?

Cool seeing everyone's colour choices online, although waaaay too many people are rolling with all-black teams, boring.

Still some lag in a lot of my matches though, which is hard to deal with when the controls are so precise.

Seems to be a lot more good players online now. I just played two people in a row with over 1000 wins and under 20 losses. They were good but not that good... ragequitters?

You can't really tell who's good by wins and losses. Guard Cancel rolling kinda helps if you have meter for getting out of the corner, though it is hard to properly punish online.

Do you mind giving the signal strength of your matches too?

alstein

Usually if someone's win percentage is above 95%, and occasionally if it's above 80% in ranked matches- they're ragequitters.

Top Bottom