• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

yea, 100 wins and 20 losses seems unrealistic. you can filter those guys out fortunately. or just play player matches, i rarely see people disconnecting there.

BadWolf

Yeah I gave ranked a try after the patch and it felt like I had more disconnects in one day than my entire time playing Player matches, went straight back.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
doing the trials now and man is it a sobering experience. My execution has taken a swan dive in the last few months

alstein

doing the trials now and man is it a sobering experience. My execution has taken a swan dive in the last few months

I wouldn't call that trial mode a fair test of execution. It's harder then any other trial mode out there. Also, combos like that are less needed in KOF then they are in other games, you can do well with basic fundamentals.

Played some more, still on college wireless.

The first couple(playing the same guy) of matches fluctuated between 4 and 3 bars and it was pretty bad, input lag, slowdowns, underwater.

The next couple were a lot better with another player (3 bars), however, I couldn't hit Liz's BnB or punish blocked supers.

The last few were the best, another 3 bar, another player, I could punish blocked supers now. Didn't really have a chance to test Liz's combo.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well they may not be practical combos but there's still some useful info in there. and my execution is still ass.

BadWolf

Tried it a little today in the morning before going to work (when family was still asleep, so no one else was using the net) and ended up playing a guy with 4 bars right of the bat.

It was pretty much flawless, felt like offline.

Played some more, still on college wireless.

The first couple(playing the same guy) of matches fluctuated between 4 and 3 bars and it was pretty bad, input lag, slowdowns, underwater.

The next couple were a lot better with another player (3 bars), however, I couldn't hit Liz's BnB or punish blocked supers.

The last few were the best, another 3 bar, another player, I could punish blocked supers now. Didn't really have a change to test Liz's combo.

As long as you're on wireless you'll have a pretty frustrating experience.

Tried it a little today in the morning before going to work (when family was still asleep, so no one else was using the net) and ended up playing a guy with 4 bars right of the bat.

It was pretty much flawless, felt like offline.

As long as you're on wireless you'll have a pretty frustrating experience.

I am aware of that, I don't really have a choice though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I know I've already asked this probably a dozen times already, but now having the game and being able to make the comparison, what makes Hwa 'better' than joe? So far the only thing (granted with limited hands on experience) that i can see is that Hwa can net more damage with less work (and the drinking thing). Is the frame data on their moves actually different?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I know I've already asked this probably a dozen times already, but now having the game and being able to make the comparison, what makes Hwa 'better' than joe? So far the only thing (granted with limited hands on experience) that i can see is that Hwa can net more damage with less work (and the drinking thing). Is the frame data on their moves actually different?
Well... for starters they have different specials.
Same with the DMs. (Hwa has a grab DM for instance)

SNKP sharing some tech

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well... for starters they have different specials.
Same with the DMs. (Hwa has a grab DM for instance)

Ive only gotten the chance to do doe Joe's missions so far (hence me not knowing squat about Hwa). I haven't even touched Hwa. I guess that would be a good thing to do when i get out of work today.

*edit* good video, I was a little unclear exactly how HD cancels worked. Thanks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ive only gotten the chance to do doe Joe's missions so far (hence me not knowing squat about Hwa). I haven't even touched Hwa. I guess that would be a good thing to do when i get out of work today.

*edit* good video, I was a little unclear exactly how HD cancels worked. Thanks.
I mean the difference is even bigger than Ryu and Ken!!! XD

Tizoc

^Wha?! 360 should have it better than PS3, it can't really be that bad?

I dunno about Joe, but Hwa has some really damaging combos, especially in the corner. Outside of the corner he has combos that can take off 50% health with an easy combo.

I mean the difference is even bigger than Ryu and Ken!!! XD

IMHO, despite having similar moves there is a difference in playing the characters in SF3: 3S...and maybe SF Zero 2...and Zero 3...and prob. SF4 (series)?

Fersis

I dunno about Joe, but Hwa has some really damaging combos, especially in the corner. Outside of the corner he has combos that can take off 50% health with an easy combo.

IMHO, despite having similar moves there is a difference in playing the characters in SF3: 3S...and maybe SF Zero 2...and Zero 3...and prob. SF4 (series)?
Thats what im saying. Ryu and Ken are really different and Joe and Hwa even more so.

It wouldn't hurt to try it yourself.

I think you would actually get a better answer on Dream Cancel.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Ill just play some hwa when i get home today. I just thought id ask in case someone knew the specifics.

Shadow780

4 bars is pretty good now, consistent, playable, mirrors yellow bar in SSFIV, but far and few in between. 3 bars is still hits-and-miss.

PS3 ver.

Played with new patch and found a 4 bar! Overall very solid after a bit of adjusting. Some slight hiccups but overall consistent enough for me. Online is good to learn matchup experience at least and that's what I was looking for

Well Joe and Hwa have a lot of differences. First, let's take a look at the normals. Hwa and Joe share most of them, but some of them have different properties.

• Joe's c.D/st.D is a knee and Hwa's c.D is the exact same knee, but his st. D is a different kick that's a great poke.
  • Joe and Hwa have slides (df+B), but Joe's causes a soft knockdown and Hwa's leaves the opponent standing and is special cancelable.
  • St.CD for both of them used to be the same in arcade version iirc, but now Hwa's moves him forward in the console version.

The differences are more apparent with the specials and DMs.

• Joe's Bakuretsuken is done by mashing P and the finish uppercut is qcb+P. Hwa's is qcf+P and his finish is qcf+P. Both can juggle with it in the corner, but I think Joe can only combo off the finish part. Hwa can't combo off the finish unless it's EX (you can still do qcf+P without the finish in a combo and combo into something else.)
  • Hwa's dp+K is more suited for anti-air than Joe's. Hwa's dp+B goes upwards and forwards like Adon's Rising Jaguar, has startup invul., and has good horizontal range while dp+D moves him forward like Sagat's Tiger Knee. Joe's dp+K more or less just moves him forward in an arc (not entirely true I know).
I'd post more, but I gotta get to class.

Tizoc

Ill just play some hwa when i get home today. I just thought id ask in case someone knew the specifics.

Try out these combos with Hwa-
Jumping C-->Cr. C-->DF+B-->F, D, DF+HKxxQCB+LK-->QCFx2+K
Cancel his Dragon Kick into his heel kick, this'll juggle the opponent.
I wrote down some Hwa combos a week after the game was out, but am too lazy to search for them...will post them later though ;3

Mature

Very specific question about execution: Is there a shortcut for HCB x2? I'm doing Vice's trials right now and I'm having a hard time buffering them during the normals before the DM.

kdash7

What the hell happened?? After the patch on 360 i cant join any ranked matches!!! It gives me the following message : "you do not meet the conditions to enter the room"

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well Joe and Hwa have a lot of differences. First, let's take a look at the normals. Hwa and Joe share most of them, but some of them have different properties.

• Joe's c.D/st.D is a knee and Hwa's c.D is the exact same knee, but his st. D is a different kick that's a great poke.
  • Joe and Hwa have slides (df+B), but Joe's causes a soft knockdown and Hwa's leaves the opponent standing and is special cancelable.
  • St.CD for both of them used to be the same in arcade version iirc, but now Hwa's moves him forward in the console version.

The differences are more apparent with the specials and DMs.

• Joe's Bakuretsuken is done by mashing P and the finish uppercut is qcb+P. Hwa's is qcf+P and his finish is qcf+P. Both can juggle with it in the corner, but I think Joe can only combo off the finish part. Hwa can't combo off the finish unless it's EX (you can still do qcf+P without the finish in a combo and combo into something else.)
  • Hwa's dp+K is more suited for anti-air than Joe's. Hwa's dp+B goes upwards and forwards like Adon's Rising Jaguar, has startup invul., and has good horizontal range while dp+D moves him forward like Sagat's Tiger Knee. Joe's dp+K more or less just moves him forward in an arc (not entirely true I know).
I'd post more, but I gotta get to class.

I tried Hwa out for a bit and yea there's some interesting differences. joe definitely has an advantage on the ground imo. Hwa's far standing D is good as a poke but its the same as joe's command forward B which is considerably more useful. Hwa's knees are better but joe's work better in combos cause they dont need to be drive canceled for juggles afterwards (in the corner at least) . Hwa is better in the air and his HCB kick is faster than joe's but feels like the hitbox or the active frames arent as good as joes (but both seem kinda shitty and can be jabbed on reaction). Both have pretty good combos, but joe just feels like a more complete character to me.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Try out these combos with Hwa-
Jumping C-->Cr. C-->DF+B-->F, D, DF+HKxxQCB+LK-->QCFx2+K
Cancel his Dragon Kick into his heel kick, this'll juggle the opponent.
I wrote down some Hwa combos a week after the game was out, but am too lazy to search for them...will post them later though ;3

I aint gonna lie, them combos were fun.

Just got back from localbattles. Went 1-2 including getting bodied by chris g who sent me to loosers. I got sloppier than even my standard sloppy stuff, but it was great to vs some people in person. Also, fuck King. Everyone enjoyed themselves though. Maybe next time ill get on streamed ( they initially didn't have the dlc characters)

Tips to deal with king? I would counter her projectiles but I have to rethink getting in and getting out of her frame traps.

What the hell happened?? After the patch on 360 i cant join any ranked matches!!! It gives me the following message : "you do not meet the conditions to enter the room"

sounds like the game tries to connect to players that have set requirements, which you don't meet. high delay, or high disconnect rate?

alstein

Just got back from localbattles. Went 1-2 including getting bodied by chris g who sent me to loosers. I got sloppier than even my standard sloppy stuff, but it was great to vs some people in person. Also, fuck King. Everyone enjoyed themselves though. Maybe next time ill get on streamed ( they initially didn't have the dlc characters)

Tips to deal with king? I would counter her projectiles but I have to rethink getting in and getting out of her frame traps.

You gotta approach on the ground when she goes aerial. The air fireballs aren't that nasty though. She does crap damage in general, especially mid-screen. I don't think she's a top tier character personally, I only use her when I need to lame someone out.

BadWolf

So far the patch continues to deliver, better matches all around.

And now if there is a delay it seems it attempts to resync mid-round instead of waiting and doing it at the start of the next round.

The trophies that require you to perform a specific number of moves/finishers (such as 100 EX moves), do moves performed in onlines battles count towards your total?

Top Bottom