• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Enordash

So over the past weekend, I went on to try and find some matches. I was really excited to hear about the patch and couldn't wait for some 3+ bar matches. Unfortunately, I found a whopping 0 matches with that connection. The absolute best I found was a single 2 bar. I couldn't even get into any matches because of the constraints people were running. I have a decent internet connection (wired of course). Is the community really that small? Looks like I might have to go elsewhere to find a quality online experience.

So over the past weekend, I went on to try and find some matches. I was really excited to hear about the patch and couldn't wait for some 3+ bar matches. Unfortunately, I found a whopping 0 matches with that connection. The absolute best I found was a single 2 bar. I couldn't even get into any matches because of the constraints people were running. I have a decent internet connection (wired of course). Is the community really that small? Looks like I might have to go elsewhere to find a quality online experience.

Hmm, where do you live? If you're American I would assume that no one would be on that weekend because of the super bowl. Though I admit that the community is small, it isn't small enough that I have problems finding matches.

I had the same issue, wired connection, low ping on speedtest, and the only matches I could find were 1 or 2 bars. PS3 verison. Wasn't there a page outlining the best way to find matches a few pages back?

euro here and i can find matches without waiting too long every evening. but i noticed since the patch went up, there have been less people doing player matches. they all went to ranked because the filtering options are much better now.

it's best to build up a friendlist of kof players whenever you can. just add everyone you play with a good connection, most people will accept.

http://i.imgur.com/H8CBf.jpg
Yeah you know you want it ;3

waiting for mai version.

I'd say go to dreamcancel and various forums, browse the threads and add players from your region.

SRK has a players list as well.

I am still losing pretty terribly, doesn't really bother me though. What does bother me are my mashing habits and my inability to deal with corner pressure.

Enordash

Hmm, where do you live? If you're American I would assume that no one would be on that weekend because of the super bowl. Though I admit that the community is small, it isn't small enough that I have problems finding matches.

Yea, I'm in the US. West Virginia to be exact. I suppose the online attendance could have been limited due to the super bowl (I wasn't actually searching for matches during). I've luckily found a couple more people to play with locally. I might travel up toward NY sometime to check out the scene. I wonder how open they are to beginners.

Apparently, disabling UPnP on the PS3's network settings may result in a better online experience, keyword is may, though.

I think that most gaffers aren't too good at the game, myself included.

Wow, this thread is dusty.

Anyways, apparently there will be changes to KOFXIII: Climax, though they are mostly bug fixes.

This is a partial list. Similar in style to how the console changes were done.
Also they released a video outlining shortcuts, though some of these have been around forever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kvGZE7RIlew
Shen
- Shen will no longer receive a counter hit penalty when he’s hit during his Far C
- Shen will gain some power meter when he bounces off anything stronger than an EX projectile with his Danken(Projectile parry)
Ralf
- Fixed issue where Ralf and Raiden’s positions will change and command has be input in reverse when doing Bareback Vulcan (DM) > MAX Cancel >NEOMAX
Saiki
- Fixed Normal throw so that it no longer raises the opponent’s meters.
Benimaru
- Fixed issue where doing cl.D>HD bypass will make the characters switch position when the opponent is facing back
Billy
- Took out invincibility on HD bypass
Raiden
- Changed damage on short hop & hyper hop C from 72 to 70
Flame Iori
- Fixed issue where MAX canceling too late from normal Maiden Masher wouldn’t target lock the NEOMAX.
- Changed input frames for canceling from Maiden Masher.
- Fixed issue where repeatedly blocking low would display his standing block for a split moment.
Hwa
- Changed cr.B so that it can be HD bypassed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cool, I'm kinda glad to hear they're not huge game-changing bugs, just fixes to things that shouldn't be there anyway. Hwa being able to HD Bypass with cr.b is interesting.

You know, I almost miss Arcade K'... lol. I see so, SO very little K' play online (more Kula), and it really makes it feel like without hit Top-tier status, that noone cares about him at all, lol.

I guess we can expect this kinda changes to make it to the console eventually. Not HUGE stuff (yet), but it'd be good to see.

Just to say, my own impressions with the netcode patch as of late... I've had a lot less issues when I get into a game, lately. Much more of a "You and me, and our fight!" experience, rather than a "Ugh, here comes the lagger, this is gonna be a pain..." Kinda similiar to soul calibur, except the ability to play training while searching ranked is SO WELCOME in XIII, that it makes staring at the world map in soul calibur seem lame in comparision. SC of course has the superior lobby functions, though, so it balances out.

alstein

I'm just mad that Flame Iori got buffed- he didn't need any buffs period, even if it's just bugfixes.

Hwa Jai didn't either, and they nerfed Raiden? All minor stuff, but still.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sorry guys ive been sick and busy with work. :(
I got my very first stick! A Qanba Q4 ... and i cant pull a single damn move! >_<

I just picked this up. Kind of struggling to grasp the mechanics and all that shit. No one to play with for about two weeks until I move and I'm afraid to get online lol Every time I start messing around in practice mode I just get pissy and go back to playing SSFIV! Any great guides to get me started? Totally new to KOF.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;34998741 said:
I just picked this up. Kind of struggling to grasp the mechanics and all that shit. No one to play with for about two weeks until I move and I'm afraid to get online lol Every time I start messing around in practice mode I just get pissy and go back to playing SSFIV! Any great guides to get me started? Totally new to KOF.
Watch this tutorial, many of the mechanics introduced here are extremely important in XIII.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5yg2QH_Lw&feature=related

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
k' is still really strong...arguably top 10. just not so easy to pick up i guess

I think this game as a whole is pretty well balanced. No one really feels helpless. Then again the game mechanics are considerably different from games like SF.

Enordash

Sorry guys ive been sick and busy with work. :(
I got my very first stick! A Qanba Q4 ... and i cant pull a single damn move! >_<

Fersis, how do you like the stick so far (other than not being able to pull off moves :p). I've heard some good things about Qanba sticks but haven't got my hands on one. I'm currently using a Madcatz MLG stick. I should probably just be happy with what I have, lol.

Hex

Banned
Fersis, how do you like the stick so far (other than not being able to pull off moves :p). I've heard some good things about Qanba sticks but haven't got my hands on one. I'm currently using a Madcatz MLG stick. I should probably just be happy with what I have, lol.

I just picked up the Ice Blue Q4.
I personally am loving it, my other experience is with a TE Street Fighter 4 which I no longer have and an MvC2 TE which I still have.
Parts of course are almost a toss up because they are pretty much the same, but am definitely leaning towards the Q4 as my main now.

This game really makes me wish that they would do a new REAL Samurai Showdown, and release 2, 3, and 4 on Live and or PSN

alstein

I just picked up the Ice Blue Q4.
I personally am loving it, my other experience is with a TE Street Fighter 4 which I no longer have and an MvC2 TE which I still have.
Parts of course are almost a toss up because they are pretty much the same, but am definitely leaning towards the Q4 as my main now.

This game really makes me wish that they would do a new REAL Samurai Showdown, and release 2, 3, and 4 on Live and or PSN

Odds are 2 will get released on PSN eventually via Neo-Geo station, if it hasn't been abandoned. 3 and 4 might be for the PS4, but neither is very good. 3 might be SNK's worst game, and 4 wasn't that bad but had infinites that were really stupid.

I want a real SamSho game at some point though, it's the one genre of fighter that is truly underrepresented, due to a lack of lolis and combos.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
First off, congrats on your new stick Fersis:)

And... what? Leona "Only low tier character in the game"? LoL. I can see the reasoning, but man, how the mighty have fallen :/ Chin easy to get around if you can block high? Hmmm, this commentary... XD The "heaven" stage really doesn't bother me that much either.

It's kinda funny, I think the worst thing Online would do to me VS competative play... would be that it wouldn't prepare me for the matchups! All this love'n on Shen, Kulas, Iori's, K's... I rarely see any of them, expecially played well.

And LOL at Phoenix Arrow being called a "divekick". EVERYTHING'S a divekick know days!

Solid Kensou's are so fun to watch. He looks almost as annoying as Arcade K' in the right hands. Just has such control over everything, and such legit pressure.

Chin VS Chin is fun to see. And a Chin HD! I prefer drive cancels myself, but that was pretty cool to see.

I'm surprised at how few have picked up Mr. Karate.

Hardbred has a real Duo Lon. Very nice. I've wanted to see someone use his console fireball so well, first time I've seen it used so throughly.
And "Rachel" color Yuri is the best Yuri. XD

Won't be able to listen to all the rest, but it was nice seeing what I did. Seems to be a fun bunch of players to watch!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No Instant Overheads or awesome hops with Leona there! A nice attempt at an HD combo, but... USA KoF players seems to use a LOT more resets than I expect. Or it's just skillful whiffing, lol.

"HERE GOES THE HD! AND IT ENDS WITH... Light punch into failed followups? Eh..."

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
the other streams with answer, reynald etc. had lots of karate. dunno why these guys are so stingy today.

I did see that one with Reynald (I think) ruling with Karate... that was great :) So many missed streams, too many to catch up on, haha.

These guys here are providing Athena Fireball Pong Mirrors though... so can't really complain! NYC = Psycho Soldier closet fans? I'm ok with that...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I often wonder why those who drop HD... don't just go Drive cancel crazy instead. Same thing. Ends with no HD meter, and probably some DM's used, haha.

I loved the simple Leona HD earlier. Close D, HD, Close D, EX Bakudan, Neomax. So simple, so effective, and takes 3 bars just like an arcade NM HD combo!

I don't use HD much. I prefer to use Dream Cancels with Vice. I still do near the same amount of damage, but I do use more power bars. But the damage and ease tradeoffs are a lot better in my eye.

I mean look at Clark. Easy to do jump in C back C, EX Backbreaker and EX SAB. Does a ton of damage and a lot easier to do then those long HD combos.

Another favorite is with Goro. Do a grab, and do the EX DM for 400-500 damage depending how its comboed into with just two power bars and a dreamcancel.

I see people trying to combo combo combo, yet have no respect for fundamentals. Then they get beat the hell down by Goro who has amazing simple yet effective tools like DAS GETA and Glove Slap Goro.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So why is Leona the only low tier character? Because all of her movements are crazy unsafe?
Gonna check her out.

Top Bottom