• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

i try to avoid bad connections, so that doesn't apply to me.

sometimes i do encounter shitty lag abusing green connections in ranked (wtf are they green?), but what can you do....

BadWolf

My experience is still positive, can land most of my combos if I don't screw up myself. Was playing Ryo the other day with the sole intent of landing HD combos (70% damage with 1 bar and almost 90% with 3) in real matches online and the success rate was really high, my only problem was that the DP motion would overlap with the fireball super motion sometimes, which would put a stop to the combo. That's an execution error though.

Same with Chin and his long drive cancel combos, success rate is high.

Picked up Duolon recently and wow, he is so exhilerating to play. All the rekkas, teleports, wakeup shenanigans and lame tactics, so good. So fast.

EDIT: King of Friday's is this Friday, right? Can't wait.

Also, looks like this Saturday will have a Korean 3v3 tournament at Cafeid, its going to be one character per player style.

alstein

I'm already getting tired of Ryos who just fish for an opening for that combo all match to try and steal cheap wins. The only advantage is you know they're not going to burn that bar in round 4 so you can try to win early with your 2nd char.

This game is good, but it would be better without hyper drive mode. I just wish arcade goers/fighting game fans would understand the concept of addition by subtraction.

BadWolf

That goes for any character really, any character with whom the opponent knows how to HD anyway.

HD does bring the hype though, especially in tournaments. Its also very satisfying to land your full combo.

I'm already getting tired of Ryos who just fish for an opening for that combo all match to try and steal cheap wins. The only advantage is you know they're not going to burn that bar in round 4 so you can try to win early with your 2nd char.

This game is good, but it would be better without hyper drive mode. I just wish arcade goers/fighting game fans would understand the concept of addition by subtraction.

HD mode is a refinement of their max mode system from 2k2. It is probably the most balanced version of a custom combo system out there and really is what makes KOF KOF since the player earns that combo. That said, some damage scaling adjustments would be appreciate it but I wouldn't loose that and especially not the Drive Cancel system.

So....is KOF esports now btw? I know sundance was on Crosscounter last night but haven't heard anything

BadWolf

The drive cancel system, as it has been implemented in XIII, I never want them to remove from KOF. Its the best addition to the series since forever, especially when paired with ex moves (which are often times better and more useful than supers in this game imo). Both make the game's combo system extremely fresh and creative.

alstein

That goes for any character really, any character with whom the opponent knows how to HD anyway.

HD does bring the hype though, especially in tournaments. Its also very satisfying to land your full combo.

Bringing the hype and being a good mechanic are two different things. I don't have a problem with Drive Cancels. Some of the Hyper Drive issues are due to meter gain issues- I don't like how fireballs give no meter, but blocking gives ton of meter.

I guess it's where I'm running into way too many opponents who I dominate lately, but then they land an HD combo for 90% and that's the way I lose most of the time. The only way I can stop that is to shift style and lame them out to make sure they can't land a comeback period, which is well, lame. Then I get hatemail for laming them out. It's almost getting flowchart-esque how many folks I'm running across who have 0 fundamentals and rely on 90%+ HD combos to bail them out online right now. Judging by their W/L records, it works for them as well.

BadWolf

Bringing the hype and being a good mechanic are two different things. I don't have a problem with Drive Cancels. Some of the Hyper Drive issues are due to meter gain issues- I don't like how fireballs give no meter, but blocking gives ton of meter.

I guess it's where I'm running into way too many opponents who I dominate lately, but then they land an HD combo for 90% and that's the way I lose most of the time. The only way I can stop that is to shift style and lame them out to make sure they can't land a comeback period, which is well, lame. Then I get hatemail for laming them out. It's almost getting flowchart-esque how many folks I'm running across who have 0 fundamentals and rely on 90%+ HD combos to bail them out online right now. Judging by their W/L records, it works for them as well.

Well I did those HD combos for fun in that session since I knew them but felt bad about never using them, so Ryo was on point and was going to land those combos no matter what. The point of the post was that heavy execution combos aren't much of a problem with the current netcode.

As for your issue, you should learn this stuff yourself rather than complain, I think. You can make the argument about big combos and lack of fundamentals but eventually you will come across players, online or offline, that have both and then you'll really be screwed. Complaining about a mechanic doesn't make it go away.

Big meter gain while blocking and receiving damage was a great idea, this way you have a way out even if you are getting beat on. This also means ppl can't lock you down with things like HD block strings.

Not giving meter for fireball whoring was an excellent decision.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
HD mode is a refinement of their max mode system from 2k2. It is probably the most balanced version of a custom combo system out there and really is what makes KOF KOF since the player earns that combo.

The drive cancel system, as it has been implemented in XIII, I never want them to remove from KOF. Its the best addition to the series since forever, especially when paired with ex moves (which are often times better and more useful than supers in this game imo). Both make the game's combo system extremely fresh and creative.

Agreed. I love the combo systems in this game. It makes me care about meter more, because it's ACTUALLY EFFECTIVE. I always kinda feel lukewarm about meter use in SFIV series, because the cancels I pull off are rarely more satisfying damage / skill wise than landing the raw supers... Not that it's necessairly BAD, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much. Scaling makes EVERYTHING in such a game feel equal to me, damage wise. But I guess in IV, one should feel stun is more important? -shrug- ANYWAY...

That said, some damage scaling adjustments would be appreciate it but I wouldn't loose that and especially not the Drive Cancel system.

Scaling doesn't really bother me at all. Just about every character gets fairly equal damage out of Normal -> Normal -> DM -> NM, equal meter usage is almost always respected, not just how many moves you used, and there's a diffrentiation between NM enders and EX DM ones. I love how early meter burn of HD and meters in round 2 leads to a solid meter advantage for you on your 3rd character.

I really think it does both exceptionally well, all things considered. I hated how few characters felt like they REALLY saw benefit from MAX in 2K2UM. I felt like if I wanted a good character to use such things, I was restricted to learning Nameless, Iori, or Rekka Kyo, none of who I cared for in that game. And Leona's cancel timing and method of getting into her slashes was too strict and too hard to even attempt in a real fight.

Timing all around is less strict now, and characters seem to get specials that actually work for combos, no matter who they are. SO, SO much better a system than the Vism or cancel systems of the past, especially for being a universal system. The refinement of it all just seems very solid.

I don't see this happen much. Anyone who could pull of a solid HD generally has the normal combat skills to be solid all around. If they don't... great, they pulled off HD on one character, I have 2 more to destroy them. Scaring people into using DMs, Evasive rolls, GCCD, and the like, also keeps their meter spam down a lot.

The projectile stuff... I like it the way it is, honestly. Get meter for moves that have higher risk, less meter for lower risk moves. Reward solid defense, and landing attacks. I hate fireball spam into SUPER fireball into fireball spam into NEW super fireball in games, at least if you wanna do that here, you either had to put up solid defense, or have actually agressively attacked beforehand.

I like how SFxT's system also seems more open, but I think I'll probably like XIIIs more in the end anyway, lol. (But I feel like fighters are finally getting "open-ended fighting" right now, whereas the flow of such things in the past, often just looked really sloppy to me (I hated Tekken Tag tourney's juggles, for example... and I find loads of "c'mon, why didn't that work!?!" moments in SFIV series that really turn me off from the game..)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
AOU 2012 this weekend....

GAROU 2 BELIEVE!!!! ;__;

alstein

Yeah, I've learned against fishers how to make them pay for it, they generally won't try to use their meter, so if things go right I at least have them on their last char by my 2nd, and I can try to get a lead then turtle my ass off, or at least take off damage then just not do anything the last round that would give them a shot at landing their combo. Good players will make me respect the rest of their game, but I don't mind losing.

What I mind is mindless matchups where I have to watch for one trap. It's something I win 90% of the time, but the other 10% is salt-inducing because you know you lost to something dumb.

I do think how they did the cancels was well-thought out. I just don't like custom combo-style modes as a concept period. I think they're fundametally flawed.
That said, despite my objections- this is a very good game, just with things I would tweak.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
AOU 2012 this weekend....

GAROU 2 BELIEVE!!!! ;__;

Sniff...

Yeah, I've learned against fishers how to make them pay for it, they generally won't try to use their meter, so if things go right I at least have them on their last char by my 2nd, and I can try to get a lead then turtle my ass off, or at least take off damage then just not do anything the last round that would give them a shot at landing their combo. Good players will make me respect the rest of their game, but I don't mind losing.

-nodnod-

What I mind is mindless matchups where I have to watch for one trap. It's something I win 90% of the time, but the other 10% is salt-inducing because you know you lost to something dumb.

Yeah, I'd like to say it's a triumph of greater meter management, but it doesn't always feel that way, haha. For me, this happens in KoF less than other fighters; unless it's a lag tactic, I'm normally thinking "Why did I fall for that!?!?!" rather than "This game is dumb, why'd they allow that!"

I do think how they did the cancels was well-thought out. I just don't like custom combo-style modes as a concept period. I think they're fundametally flawed.
That said, despite my objections- this is a very good game, just with things I would tweak.

I generally wouldn't much either, but in SNKP style, custom combos just seem like super-ranbus, so I'm cool with it. ;) I love how counter hits are illustrated in this game, too; it re-enforces the idea of capitalizing on well-placed moves, or situations where you've overwhelmed your opponenet with focused strikes, which is a theme I just like in general. It's why I loved landing jump-ins and super-cancels in the first place, back as a fighter neophyte; it really feels like "you earned this, now go for it!" Well-implemented, balanced custom combos are just extensions of these themes, the problem is just that they aren't normally made well, heh heh.

Vaporizer

Banned
i feel like move inputs are more lenient online. offline demands stricter timing.

mine is other way around. No problems in comboing my way superbly offline. But come online and my character seems to be half a second behind me. Really really annoying. I gave up playing online once my win percentage went from 70 percent to 40 percent.

Anyways fellow kof fighters, is it me or is the whole series have a superb fighting soundtrack? better than street fighter and those numpties of tekken. The k' team theme is bloody awesome.

However my favourite track will always be still green and esaka 98 version with the heavy guitar.

I just had a 2 bar match, a 3 bar match, and a 4 bar match. The 2 bar one was the only match that was playable, the other 2 had huge amounts of stuttering. I really wish they worked more on the online.

Rising_Hei

The onlike smells so much, it's a shame because this game with good online could be an AAA+ experience :/

I don't think my fate could have been any different in the match i had against Augemitbutter if the online worked well though haha

alstein

The onlike smells so much, it's a shame because this game with good online could be an AAA+ experience :/

I don't think my fate could have been any different in the match i had against Augemitbutter if the online worked well though haha

I still think the online works well enough, if you're within a reasonable distance and your internet is reasonably good quality.

I just wish my game worked as well as my internet right now, I'm scuffling for some reason lately- it might be an execution transition or something I'm hoping.

to be fair: we're not quite close together, so i was expecting some lag. are you on wireless?

i had such a shitty time in ranked today. fake green connection player with huge packetloss kept joining my games and i couldn't do anything about it, so i had to leave. same area, and i even told him to fix his crap but he didn't respond. why people like him are getting flagged as green is beyond me.

other matches were great.

alstein

i had such a shitty time in ranked today. fake green connection player with huge packetloss kept joining my games and i couldn't do anything about it, so i had to leave. same area, and i even told him to fix his crap but he didn't respond. why people like him are getting flagged as green is beyond me.

other matches were great.

I think I ran into the same guy- thought he was lagswitching or something because he was trying to play super gimmicky.

I think I ran into the same guy- thought he was lagswitching or something because he was trying to play super gimmicky.

might be if you're in europe. i ran into two of those guys since i started playing some casual ranked. green connection, but weird constant stuttering.

alstein

Did the patch ever come out? The online is the only thing stopping me from buying this game

It did about a month ago. Patch made improvements. Netcode isn't up to the standard of SC5 or Arcsys netcode, but I think it's up to SF4 standards. 3 bars is good, 4 bars is excellent, 2 bars is a mixed bag.

sephi22

It did about a month ago. Patch made improvements. Netcode isn't up to the standard of SC5 or Arcsys netcode, but I think it's up to SF4 standards. 3 bars is good, 4 bars is excellent, 2 bars is a mixed bag.
Oh ok. My friends who own the game didn't tell me.

Rent the game and try it yourself. alstein pretty much covered my experiences with the netcode, but it varies depending on your connection.
Can't rent the game where I live. I'll have to buy it new or used.

Vaporizer

Banned
Is there anymore news about any new updates or even DLC? Or is this game done now? I personally would pay for shingo and saisyu as DLC.

In London UK two days ago:

First to 10 [SoCal] The Answer vs Cristina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTLI89OMBs

The Peoples Interview! interview LDA The Answer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=undsyLMn1Sw

If you guys want to see what's coming up for WORLD GAME CUP 2012 in Cannes (France) today with some all new Billy and Elizabeth tactics.

For those that want to know Elizabeth has a 91% combo the Japanese don't know about, Billy is very cheap once he has you in the corner and ppl need to know how to bait and punish that EX Dragon when blocked.

Vaporizer

Banned
In London UK two days ago:

First to 10 [SoCal] The Answer vs Cristina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTLI89OMBs

The Peoples Interview! interview LDA The Answer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=undsyLMn1Sw

If you guys want to see what's coming up for WORLD GAME CUP 2012 in Cannes (France) today with some all new Billy and Elizabeth tactics.

For those that want to know Elizabeth has a 91% combo the Japanese don't know about, Billy is very cheap once he has you in the corner and ppl need to know how to bait and punish that EX Dragon when blocked.

bloody hell that billy is cheap as hell. I see myself flunging the controoler accross the room if i ever played him. I hate that such cheapness.

bloody hell that billy is cheap as hell.

Once he has either an EX dragon or normal dragon connect in the corner he can do long combos which build bar. Putting him first is also a good idea, The Answer was talking about this in part 2 of the interview but that hasn't been uploaded. Maybe he gave away too much info for the French maybe heh. Watch for that Liz 91% it looks like a glitch he does it in the video somewhere.

Once he has either an EX dragon or normal dragon connect in the corner he can do long combos which build bar. Putting him first is also a good idea, The Answer was talking about this in part 2 of the interview but that hasn't been uploaded. Maybe he gave away too much info for the French maybe heh. Watch for that Liz 91% it looks like a glitch he does it in the video somewhere.

I didn't really see any really high damage combos done with Liz in that vid, just a lot of setups. Can you tell me what this combo entails?

KOF right now at the World Game Cup
http://www.twitch.tv/swga_maho

Top Bottom