• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I checked it again to be sure; D Grand Saber still leaves you at Even / VERY SLIGHT frame advantage on block. It's a great way to cross the stage (especially after hitting with her improved CD), and pushes you back out of range of throws half the time. Pair it up with a Bakudan throw, and it's even better. B version leaves you at a very heavy disadvantage, but you shouldn't be using that one except to combo off close heavy normals, anyway...

Most of her unsafe stuff you shouldn't be ending blockstrings with anyway, and her Strike Arch is quicker, leading to more mixups from in-close strings.

She might not chip as well without putting herself at risk, but she can also open up with Instant Overheads better than anyone.

I just can't see her being worse than Mai or Billy, who share some similiar issues (lack of safe block strings / B&B damage / meter dependant, etc), but without her unique strengths.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Billy's : crB, crB, f+B is damn annoying and i think its safe. >_<
But yeah Leona is probably the less used character right now.

Having said that i think that XIII is the most balanced KOF ever. (Cry moar KOF98 fans!)
Is really cool to see every character used on streams... you always learn something new!

But yeah Leona is probably the less used character right now.

Having said that i think that XIII is the most balanced KOF ever. (Cry moar KOF98 fans!)
Is really cool to see every character used on streams... you always learn something new!

People think King of Iori 98 was balanced?

alstein

People think King of Iori 98 was balanced?

98 had balance issues, but not major/massive ones.
98UM was very well balanced outside of Krauser, and there was a later revision which nerfed him.

I think overall, barring any silliness, XIII is more balanced then 98UM.

I think Mai is mid tier in XIII, and Billy mid to upper mid. The chars I consider bottom are Terry and Maxima, and they're workable. I think EX Iori is potentially OP though, but not as bad as Krauser.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, it'd really be very strong if it chipped away at life, while doing it. It is a great pressure string!

Agreed. Even characters I don't play, draw me to them, when I see someone who really knows them work their magic...

I think Mai is mid tier in XIII, and Billy mid to upper mid. The chars I consider bottom are Terry and Maxima, and they're workable. I think EX Iori is potentially OP though, but not as bad as Krauser.

I could see Terry, Maxima does so much damage off near everything though, I feel that makes up for any shortcomings. And guardpoint. Master it's use, and he's so much stronger. Either Iori is still interchangeable for me. I get annoyed by lame-out Iori's, but I think his lame-game is weaker than in the past. The constant easy-to-obtain hard knockdowns are a bit unsettling, but the mixup game isn't too different from what Clawori can do. He just has an easier time getting you there...

BadWolf

So why is Leona the only low tier character? Because all of her movements are crazy unsafe?
Gonna check her out.

Yep, generally unsafe moves, damage output ain't too hot and HD combos are execution heavy.

Her instant overhead shenanigans are a gamble, guess wrong and you're screwed.

Her dwn up+P anti-air sucks (bad on whiff and block, can easily be stuffed before coming out) unless its ex. So without meter she's a sitting duck on wakeup.

Ain't saying she is one but being bottom tier in this particular game doesn't mean much.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I haven't been playing KOFXIII for a while, but I heard there was a patch. What happened?

Netcode got different. Solid upgrade for some, confusing disappointment for others. Generally more consistant and truthful, making ranked games much more tolerable now.

Glitches were removed, too (freeze glitches with EX characters mostly), and online loading seems better. Not changes to characters or anything like that, though.

Hey Guys, anyone have a link to as hi rez KOF XIII art (like the art the covers were based off of ,and any other splashes) that you guys could link me? I have saved up enough funds to customize my TE and want to try my hand at some kof themed ones

Hey Guys, anyone have a link to as hi rez KOF XIII art (like the art the covers were based off of ,and any other splashes) that you guys could link me? I have saved up enough funds to customize my TE and want to try my hand at some kof themed ones

One of the members uploaded some art a couple of weeks ago, but those links were from Megaupload.

RoeBear

Was doing some player matches today, and usually when I get completely decimated I leave. Well I did that and this was the message I got sent to me.

"In Mexico, KOF is the most important thing in the world. Playing some KOF and having KOF. It's more important then water. KOF, a fighting game."

Definitely the most interesting message I've ever received.

Anyone know the general balance consensus on 98UMFE?

Krauser isn't an omnipotent God anymore. And that was all it needed. The other 2 revisions saw to everything else that was overly good like Iori and EX King. The only other game that may be as balanced as this one is UM Revenge. XIII is gonna get there with how they handle Climax from here.

Was doing some player matches today, and usually when I get completely decimated I leave. Well I did that and this was the message I got sent to me.

"In Mexico, KOF is the most important thing in the world. Playing some KOF and having KOF. It's more important then water. KOF, a fighting game."

Definitely the most interesting message I've ever received.
LOL Hey man that's me. I sent you that message. I was just joshing ya. But I was sending that other message to other people I gave the business with. I think it started with one of my street fighter friends saying I play this game with tacos and beans and burittos. So I came up with that response as some fun to send to Street Fighter players who try to play it like Street Fighter. No harm intended though, just some wacky fun.

RoeBear

No harm taken I thought it was funny. On a side note has anyone else experienced a play record wipe. Mine for some reason reset and it was annoying...

Chavelo

AlgnR2bCQAAk2KC.png

This is the beginning of the end. D:

The vid is still up. it looks like MLG recently got lisencing rights and youtube is just overreacting. If they are going to stop blocking replays of ranbats, there will be proverbial hell to play

This is honestly the last game I ever expected to become a part of MLG. As long as they don‘t start taking stuff down, this can‘t be a bad thing.

This is honestly the last game I ever expected to become a part of MLG. As long as they don‘t start taking stuff down, this can‘t be a bad thing.

If they do it right, KOF gets tons more exposure worldwide (Especially in the US), We have our Mexico vs. Korea vs China dreammatch we've all been clamoring for, and SNKP must be getting some profit out of this.

If this goes wrong, KOF goes back to being dead in the US and this puts FGC/MLG relations back another 5 years

If they do it right, KOF gets tons more exposure worldwide (Especially in the US), We have our Mexico vs. Korea vs China dreammatch we've all been clamoring for, and SNKP must be getting some profit out of this.

If this goes wrong, KOF goes back to being dead in the US and this puts FGC/MLG relations back another 5 years

You don't think you're exaggerating both prospects even a little?

The FGC is showing its gullibility once again.

alstein

KOF is not going to go back to being dead in the US, unless SNK fails to put out another quality KOF in the next 3 years. SNK's job right now is to follow this game up with a quality KOFXIV. Evo is going to get Mexico vs China vs Japan- so XIII is going to have mega hype, and mega nationalism. Mexicans and Chinese both of them claim KOF as theirs, and neither of them will want to lose at all. This will be a lot nastier then any US vs Japan stuff.

As for MLG, it's great exposure for the community, and I think the ESports folks are smart to target games that aren't Capcom.

KOF is not going to go back to being dead in the US, unless SNK fails to put out another quality KOF in the next 3 years. SNK's job right now is to follow this game up with a quality KOFXIV. Evo is going to get Mexico vs China vs Japan- so XIII is going to have mega hype, and mega nationalism. Mexicans and Chinese both of them claim KOF as theirs, and neither of them will want to lose at all. This will be a lot nastier then any US vs Japan stuff.

i can already smell the salty breeze. evo can't come soon enough.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait wait are you telling me that KOF is going to be #esports? :0
Im sure this is all a mistake or something.

MMCafe Professor posted some info on XIII Climax beta:
(The following writeup is an edited re-post from the BBS.)

-KOFXIIICLIMAX thus far seems to be basically just a port of the console version. No new characters or real changes. We'll be hearing more about the game from seasoned players later on, but it seems highly plausible that they won't have anything to report, except "it's great because there's no netplay lag!"

-The title screen is now black, as opposed to the white one from the original arcade and console version.

-The character select screen is the same as the console version with all the characters unlocked. There's a slight change in the way that EX characters are picked. In the console version, you pressed the start button to switch between the normal version and EX version of a character. In CLIMAX, the character changes to the EX version when you're "holding on" to the start button. Meaning, you need to hold on to start and press a button to select them.

-The 5 custom slots are gone in color select. It looks pretty much the same as the original arcade version.

-Practice mode is still available.

-The backgrounds are the same as the console version. Meaning that the new stages like Esaka and Karate are there, but the older stages like Japan are missing a bunch of sumo wrestlers, and the USA stage's huge blimp doesn't have a TV screen on it.

-Right now, the game isn't running on a NesicaxLive enabled cabinet. Meaning it's probably running on a normal TypeX2 PCB. It shouldn't be taken as a sign that the game will be released on PCB though, since this is only a location test phase. Still, it was kind of surprising that there were no signs that the game might use Nesica network features, like player points or custom colors. Then again, we might be speaking too soon, who knows.
As always much love to the prof

-Right now, the game isn't running on a NesicaxLive enabled cabinet. Meaning it's probably running on a normal TypeX2 PCB. It shouldn't be taken as a sign that the game will be released on PCB though, since this is only a location test phase. Still, it was kind of surprising that there were no signs that the game might use Nesica network features, like player points or custom colors. Then again, we might be speaking too soon, who knows.

Yay, some hope that I'll finally get non-outdated competition over here.

Top Bottom