• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Dandy J

yuri always been dumb, back in arcade version i thought she was gonna be the #1 bandwagon char but it hasnt happened yet i guess

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My current Team: Ryo, Yuri and Clark.
And im also 'training' King and Sie.

BTW which character would you folks say is the most technical of the cast? Duo Lon? Ralf?

BTW which character would you folks say is the most technical of the cast? Duo Lon? Ralf?

Id Say Chin.I have Ralf as a main and my gameplay revolves around his amazing pokes and just fustrate the player constantly by poking him out of everything with a sC, CD, cC, sD, jA,jB, jCD. and then zone with his ground pound and gut punch specials.

Anyways current team: EX Iori, Ralf, Mr. Karate
Working on: Iori, EX Kyo

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Chin and Karate, with a side of Leona and Takuma!

Chin: Ability to cancel normals into stances, for pressure and combos, very specific distances on counter followups, and strick timing and spacing needed to maxamize combos.

Mr. Karate: Jump cancels. This isn't totally vital to his game, but making use of them for quick jumps out of resets, or just basic weak attack -> Air Hienshippukyaku stuff is pretty awkward.

Leona: Her difficult execution for HD and stuff actually holds her back. If her moves had simple-style "anyone can do this!" inputs like Shen (plus a few frames more safety/advantage), she'd probably be almost as strong an anchor as him.

Takuma: I've seen so much "lame" play from him now, but in the days of arcade, watching him start up his long, involved combo strings was always one of the more interesting aspects, as it was open at every point to a screw up of timing or HSK failure. I think it takes technical dedication to be able to take him from "fireball spammer", to his full potential.

---

My Current team is generally Chin, Karate, Leona XD Swap Chin with Hwa, and Karate with Maxima, and that'd be my original team. Almost everyone else in the cast is a standby, past that... Leona is generally a permanent fixture.

BadWolf

Takuma, Chin and Duolon.

Duo Lon is probably one of the more challenging characters to use as well, as he is only as effective as how fast and tricky you can be.

Like SAB said the Takuma play we see these days is a joke compared to what the Japanese players did in the arcade. He probably has the best damage output in the game (say hello to almost 70% damage with just one drive bar) but ppl can't take him to his full potential because of the exection barrier. Basically in the arcade you would barely ever see anyone go HD with him because he simply didn't need it.

Chin.... well, he's just awesome.

I'd probably plug in Joe as well with his stun combos.

----------------------------

My current team is sort of most of the cast, I couldn't choose so I just started learning everyone.

alstein

Technical- I'd say Vice or Leona for execution, Raiden for strategy.

Vice's stuff seems so hard to do, Leona for the reasons mentioned.
Raiden- his dropkick means you have to think hard every match over what the best approach is.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Love me some Yuri.

My current team is usually Yuri/Raiden/Ash, but I will often substitute in Andy for either Yuri or Ash.

Like SAB said the Takuma play we see these days is a joke compared to what the Japanese players did in the arcade. He probably has the best damage output in the game (say hello to almost 70% damage with just one drive bar) but ppl can't take him to his full potential because of the exection barrier.

Pretty much. You can actually see beginners going for the big damage combos but they drop it at the light punch bit. Character is too dangerous in the right hands.

Ultimately this game isn't about full HD meter, when characters like Chin, Kyo, Billy can do long combos for similar damage and rebuild meter whilst doing so. . . that's what this game is turning into now. Chin especially is pretty lame I think, just waiting for that EX roll. I really hate how he can cancel his overhead into a throw. Someone was using it with autofire on me, lame! :)

I don't think there will be much until Final Round.

If online is too empty, there's always GGPO.

It's not about GGPO. It's the fact that we need to unify around one KOF game from SNK instead of being fractured chunks of countries where some in Europe cling to 95, China clings to 97, Mexico clings to 98 and 2002, Japan hanging onto 2002, Taiwan hanging onto 98 and so on. We need to get them all playing 13 and having us all unified for the first time.

It's not about GGPO. It's the fact that we need to unify around one KOF game from SNK instead of being fractured chunks of countries where some in Europe cling to 95, China clings to 97, Mexico clings to 98 and 2002, Japan hanging onto 2002, Taiwan hanging onto 98 and so on. We need to get them all playing 13 and having us all unified for the first time.

I don't know where this came from. I suggested GGPO because that's the only other way to get better at KOF if you don't have any offline comp.

I don't know where this came from. I suggested GGPO because that's the only other way to get better at KOF if you don't have any offline comp.

Each KOF plays different though. When you say "get better at KOF" what do you mean exactly? Play KOF 95 which is the last of the old school fighting game styles? Play 97 which was pretty good with the new system or 98 which was the pinnacle of the Extra/Advance system of play. Or 2002 which started the Max mode? Or XI which is the tag team of KOF with saving guard and all that other stuff?

What we need is people to unify WITH KOF 13 to get better at that ONE game where most people are at ground zero with it rather then years behind on it.

Each KOF plays different though. When you say "get better at KOF" what do you mean exactly? Play KOF 95 which is the last of the old school fighting game styles? Play 97 which was pretty good with the new system or 98 which was the pinnacle of the Extra/Advance system of play. Or 2002 which started the Max mode? Or XI which is the tag team of KOF with saving guard and all that other stuff?

What we need is people to unify WITH KOF 13 to get better at that ONE game where most people are at ground zero with it rather then years behind on it.

They aren't so different that you cannot learn KOF's fundamentals.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok im finally getting confortable with the stick (Just a little bit)
Im still very very far away of my pad execution. :(

alstein

KOF is the one fighting game series where I just cannot use a stick. Everything else, especially 3d fighters, I need a stick, but KOF is just too fast for me to use a stick with.

Fersis

KOF is the one fighting game series where I just cannot use a stick. Everything else, especially 3d fighters, I need a stick, but KOF is just too fast for me to use a stick with.
Im still having issues with comboing HCBF command grabs like Shen's or Elisabeth. >_<

BadWolf

For those that care, the Dreamcancel guys have started translating and adding frame data to their wiki, various characters' info is already up.

Im still having issues with comboing HCBF command grabs like Shen's or Elisabeth. >_<

I think it's just not registering the back input, I usually get the throw if I let my thumb linger on the back button then go to forward(or do the whole motion), if I the do the motion too fast I get the DP.

That's most likely it, I had the same problem until I realized that my stick wasn't actually hitting back before going forward, I stopped at down-back and wasn't doing an actual HCB, so obviously the command grab was never going to come out.

Won a KoF tourney last weekend, pretty good turnout, about 20+ people. Highlight was making someone slam their stick down, pause, unplug, then walk off in the middle of a match lol.

Won a KoF tourney last weekend, pretty good turnout, about 20+ people. Highlight was making someone slam their stick down, pause, unplug, then walk off in the middle of a match lol.

Nice, I think I see you around the Dallas threads at SRK, right? Doesn't Dark Geese show up around there on occasion?

Nice, I think I see you around the Dallas threads at SRK, right? Doesn't Dark Geese show up around there on occasion?

Are you from Dallas? We have a Facebook group actually that's very active, no one really uses the SRK thread, you're welcome to PM me if you want an invite.

And yes, Dark Geese does show up on occasion, but he has a pretty stacked schedule with his job.

Are you from Dallas? We have a Facebook group actually that's very active, no one really uses the SRK thread, you're welcome to PM me if you want an invite.

And yes, Dark Geese does show up on occasion, but he has a pretty stacked schedule with his job.

I live over in Oklahoma, but thanks for the invite.

Vaporizer

Banned
Man i had a go at kof 98 at a mate's house. Aaah the memories.

No HD mode, no cancels, no strikers, just pure unadulterated fun. That was pure honest fighting.

BadWolf

Execution doesn't make anything honest. HD being expensive- it's really not that expensive for the damage you get.

I prefer OG 98 style myself.

Blowing your entire HD gauge with a big chance of messing up in a long combo isn't much more expensive compared to simply blowing one power bar to get a power boost? Okay.

Execution, which would mean actually doing something to get any benefit, in this case I find far more honest.

Bristol Sodium Showdown 7 results and write up:

venuethelanes02.jpg

http://orochinagi.com/2012/02/sodium-showdown-7-results double OCV from one of London worse players? heh.

Dandy J

Blowing your entire HD gauge with a big chance of messing up in a long combo isn't much more expensive compared to simply blowing one power bar to get a power boost? Okay.

Execution, which would mean actually doing something to get any benefit, in this case I find far more honest.
good players wont drop combos, especially considering most of them are easy. the fact that you can confirm before using the meter alone puts it in the realm of new school, hit confirm into big damage. theres really no risk involved. in og98 you just raw activate and put a time limit on your damage boost, which the opponent can see and run away from until the time is up. not only that but its difficult to convert into huge damage off hits in 98, much harder than doing any non-combovid hd combo in 13. goes double since there is a time limit.

Top Bottom