• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

I live over in Oklahoma, but thanks for the invite.
Np. A bunch of the okc and Tulsa guys are a part of the group actually, they usually come down for a meetup once a month or so.

Why's everyone saying leonas hard to execute with? The hardest thing she has off the top of my head would be a tiger kneed super or an instant j.a to super, both of which have generous buffer times in their setup.

alstein

Blowing your entire HD gauge with a big chance of messing up in a long combo isn't much more expensive compared to simply blowing one power bar to get a power boost? Okay.

Execution, which would mean actually doing something to get any benefit, in this case I find far more honest.

You couldn't do your power boost in the middle of a combo (except in UM, then you had to usually go directly into DM, and only got the damage boost for the DM itself)

98 average max mode combo into super did 60-70%. Great excution players with HD, often could do 90-100% with the same resources.

There were some stupid 98 glitch combos that did 100%, but only guys like 777 used them in matches.

BadWolf

You couldn't do your power boost in the middle of a combo (except in UM, then you had to usually go directly into DM, and only got the damage boost for the DM itself)

98 average max mode combo into super did 60-70%. Great excution players with HD, often could do 90-100% with the same resources.

There were some stupid 98 glitch combos that did 100%, but only guys like 777 used them in matches.

Exactly, the combos require effort and practice. You're not just activating a damage boost and doing your same BnB combo but more damaging. Also, activating HD outside of a hit confirm is pretty much a complete waste.

Why's everyone saying leonas hard to execute with? The hardest thing she has off the top of my head would be a tiger kneed super or an instant j.a to super, both of which have generous buffer times in their setup.

HD is what they are referring to.

alstein

Exactly, the combos require effort and practice. You're not just activating a damage boost and doing your same BnB combo but more damaging. Also, activating HD outside of a hit confirm is pretty much a complete waste.

HD is what they are referring to.

I respect the guy who can get the opening, especially when it's MAX mode and the other guy knows it's possible, then some lame small-opening hit confirm into 100% to allow an undeserved comeback.

Hyper drive is flat out a comeback mechanic, just like ultras.

Shadow780

I respect the guy who can get the opening, especially when it's MAX mode and the other guy knows it's possible, then some lame small-opening hit confirm into 100% to allow an undeserved comeback.

I do agree it's a little silly you can pull off a HD combo from a simple dB.

Yeah, those ones.

Easy to mess up and not worth it when taking into account her other shortcommings, was their reasoning for saying she's low tier.

What, that's like one of the easiest combos to do. Also when you have them in the corner and you're loaded with bar one of the cheesiest things to do is just activate HD and then start spamming ex up slash XX side slash strings to break guard.

BadWolf

What, that's like one of the easiest combos to do. Also when you have them in the corner and you're loaded with bar one of the cheesiest things to do is just activate HD and then start spamming ex up slash XX side slash strings to break guard.

Unless they have meter to guard cancel roll or blowback, and there is a good chance they will build one while blocking your series even if they don't.

Dunno about the HD thing, they may be referring to viability in a real match where charge moves aren't as reliable to get going and cancel over and over at a seconds notice.

Unless they have meter to guard cancel roll or blowback, and there is a good chance they will build one while blocking your series even if they don't.

Dunno about the HD thing, they may be referring to viability in a real match where charge moves aren't as reliable to get going and cancel over and over at a seconds notice.

Yeah, it's definitely not full proof, but when you have HD activated they literally cannot move when they're in the corner, because any short hop or limb stuck out gets ex up slashed XX side slash loop. So the fact that you know they'll be looking to block means you get free run up throws or instant overheads.

BadWolf

Finally finished watching that 3v3 korean tournament.

Poongko was definitely the weak link on his team,. He was also often wasting the HD meter with accidental activations.

GUTS' Shen was so good though, he knew his normals really well and his playstyle was very footsie like.

Yeah, it's definitely not full proof, but when you have HD activated they literally cannot move when they're in the corner, because any short hop or limb stuck out gets ex up slashed XX side slash loop. So the fact that you know they'll be looking to block means you get free run up throws or instant overheads.

I'm sure they'll risk those over an HD combo any day hehe, not to mention both can be avoided.

Dandy J

yeah, seriously lol. on top of knowing someone will be defensive for the next 10 seconds, its not like everyone can just mixup into short short super for 70% in og98. i mean, how often do you see good players raw activate in og98, even with the appropriate characters like ralf or chang?

alstein

yeah, seriously lol. on top of knowing someone will be defensive for the next 10 seconds, its not like everyone can just mixup into short short super for 70% in og98. i mean, how often do you see good players raw activate in og98, even with the appropriate characters like ralf or chang?

It's character specific. Often it depended on if you had meter to burn or had a char with poor DMs such as King. (OG98 King, not UM King) Heavy D! players would raw activate sometimes to set up their gimmick grab into SDM.

BadWolf

If HD weren't present then ppl would probably just complain about drive and ex combos, which do a heck of a lot of damage by themsleves, to the point where various characters don't need HD period. Might as well complain about neomaxes too, since they are so ultra like and a comeback mechanic.

At the end of the day SNK was smart in implementing HD, people love combos in fighting games these days and thats what the devs give them. BlazBlue, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, MVC3, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear etc. are all very combo heavy. Even Street Fighter X Tekken went the combo heavy route.

Yeah.. that's kind of the point

Don't know if its worth the meter to fish for throws and overheads at the cost of an entire HD gauge but whatever works.

Still the same mixup can apply with most of the cast though, since the vast majority of the time people turtle when they see an activation. Its not really Leona specific.

alstein

Neomaxes wouldn't be complained about, except for being underpowered- 3 bar DMs that don't do enough damage compared to SDMs?

Drive- I think people would complain about specific characters (Hwa and Chin mostly)

VF is NOT a combo heavy game. You don't go fishing for combos without a setup there.

Still the same mixup can apply with most of the cast though, since the vast majority of the time people turtle when they see an activation. Its not really Leona specific.

Instant overhead to 400 damage is leona specific, also if they fear that it opens up the lows which lead to big damage as well. She's just dangerous period with HD activated, one of the only characters I don't mind activating it raw at the right place.

BadWolf

Neomaxes wouldn't be complained about, except for being underpowered- 3 bar DMs that don't do enough damage compared to SDMs?

Drive- I think people would complain about specific characters (Hwa and Chin mostly)

VF is NOT a combo heavy game. You don't go fishing for combos without a setup there.

Okay, you hate HD, don't know if its because you can't do it or don't care to, there's nothing I can do about it. All I'm saying is people like stuff like this and SNK delivered, and watching the tutorial vids they are releasing they put a lot of thought into the system (various methods of activation via air and ground, bypassing, giving neomaxes anywhere juggle properties via specific cancels, etc etc.).

Basically, between normal, EX, DC, supers, NM and HD the system is wide open for creativity and I love it for it.

Instant overhead to 400 damage is leona specific, also if they fear that it opens up the lows which lead to big damage as well. She's just dangerous period with HD activated, one of the only characters I don't mind activating it raw at the right place.

Like I said, whatever works for you. Doubt this stuff would fly at higher levels though.

alstein

Basically, between normal, EX, DC, supers, NM and HD the system is wide open for creativity and I love it for it.

BTW, FMF is a much, much better player then you, so I'd take his word for it.

Secondly, when there's one overpowering option, there isn't as much room for creativity. There's a reason I've heard a few locals say they enjoy round 1 of a KOF match more then round 5.

BadWolf

BTW, FMF is a much, much better player then you, so I'd take his word for it.

Secondly, when there's one overpowering option, there isn't as much room for creativity. There's a reason I've heard a few locals say they enjoy round 1 of a KOF match more then round 5.

Heh, okay.

Vaporizer

Banned
Do you know how it feels to be at end of 5 gauge HD combo where you put your controller on the floor and watch in amazement as your life dwindles from 100% down to 0%?

There is nothing pure about that.

In 98, there was always the chance you could battle your way out. You earned it. no trickery, no 100 percent combo to death. No lucky break. You really earned it. I remember losing my my first 2 characters to this awesome clark player and i had only kyo left. Just one super left in the tank. But i came back from the death. (love rekka kyo btw) The expression on the player was beautiful at the end.

Now, you be dominating, a single mistake and it's bye bye. You would be playing so well and the other guy would be playing so shit and a single mistake and bang, HD comboing all the way to hell.

oh and if anyone wants to get their ass kicked on the ps3, my psn is vandaliser. i am from europe.

I don't understand the hate for HD combos.

Considering it's gotten even worse now. The v good players are doing the combos off one EX move starter which does similar damage (or more), charges their bar whilst doing it (unlike when you activate in HD mode) and can stun you.

Just off the top of my head - the ones that don't need full hd bar:

Joe - that stun combo starting off an EX slash kick (it's actually not that hard).
Billy - EX dragon when you're in the corner.
Chin - EX roll into a combo that takes you into the corner.
Kyo - has a long combo in the corner
Takuma - also one with stun.
LizBeth - Got some long one (nevermind that the 91% combo good players just fish for putting her second or last for the bars)
Benimaru - some air fireball in the corner combo

So I feel like I am getting somewhat better at the game, I still lost most of my matches, but I felt like I was playing somewhat competently if that made any sense.

BadWolf

^Good stuff, are you saving your replays? Rewatching later really helps see your mistakes.

I don't understand the hate for HD combos.

Considering it's gotten even worse now. The v good players are doing the combos off one EX move starter which does similar damage (or more), charges their bar whilst doing it (unlike when you activate in HD mode) and can stun you.

Just off the top of my head - the ones that don't need full hd bar:

Joe - that stun combo starting off an EX slash kick (it's actually not that hard).
Billy - EX dragon when you're in the corner.
Chin - EX roll into a combo that takes you into the corner.
Kyo - has a long combo in the corner
Takuma - also one with stun.
LizBeth - Got some long one (nevermind that the 91% combo good players just fish for putting her second or last for the bars)
Benimaru - some air fireball in the corner combo

Pretty much this.

A lot of ppl here complaining about Shen's HD combos yet they seem to be perfectly okay with him being able to take 50% with just just 1 drive and 1 power bar (anywhere on the screen), 55% with just two power bars (anywhere on the screen) and 45% with just 1 drive (corner only).

Personally, I'd rather worry about one fully loaded HD combo in the last round rather than a whole bunch of 50% combos during any given round (which is exactly what Bala did to Reynald in the last tournament, he put Shen on point and focused on DC/EX combos).

alstein

^Good stuff, are you saving your replays? Rewatching later really helps see your mistakes.

Pretty much this.

A lot of ppl here complaining about Shen's HD combos yet they seem to be perfectly okay with him being able to take 50% with just just 1 drive and 1 power bar (anywhere on the screen), 55% with just two power bars (anywhere on the screen) and 45% with just 1 drive (corner only).

Personally, I'd rather worry about one fully loaded HD combo in the last round rather than a whole bunch of 50% combos during any given round (which is exactly what Bala did to Reynald in the last tournament, he put Shen on point and focused on DC/EX combos).

You play a lot differently when you're one mistake away from ending the round as opposed to two mistakes. That's why it's bad. When you have to play from the start of a round that one tiny hit can kill you, that really cuts down on your options. I often start playing super-lame to try and force the opponent to beat me some other way. Especially if the opponent makes me think that they're mentally weak or overrelies on execution to cover holes in the rest of their game- then I know I can often troll them into a comeback, and trolling to win is awesome.

I think sometimes it makes sense to burn the meter to try and get two characters up, that means you can take risks with your 2nd character, since if they burn a bunch of meter to lose him, you're at least able to do real honest fighting with your anchor instead of new-age SFA2.

Most of those other combos mentioned are silly as well, but they're harder to do then HD combos.

GooeyHeat

Well, apparently everyone hates this game now, but for anyone who's on 360 and wants to fight a scrubby pad warrior anyway, my GT is DudewitdaK.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, apparently everyone hates this game now, but for anyone who's on 360 and wants to fight a scrubby pad warrior anyway, my GT is DudewitdaK.

Lies! I still love it. I'm just having trouble finding time to play cuz of mid-terms & kids & general exhaustion. I've (re)settled on Clark, King & Goro as my crew. For now.

Nah, we still like this game.

Anyways, if today's matches are any indication, I don't deal with pressure too well, also can't anti-air well either.

BadWolf

No way, still the best fighter made to date for me. Love it to bits.

On a sidenote, Kim is so damn good and fun in this game, easily my favourite version of him yet.

BadWolf

That's great to hear, the game definitely seems to be picking up.

It would be cool to see some killers we didn't know about.

Is Bala there? Hope its not too free for him.

For comparison sake, all the entrants

AE - 426
Mahvel - 401
SCV - 251
KOF - 169
MK9 - 128
Tekken 6 - 96
Melty Blood - 73
BlazBlu - 56
3S - 49
GG - 25

So definitely not on the same level of the Capcom juggernauts and the latest Namco game, but leading all the anime games/MK9!

Also, Melty with more entrants then BB? Damn, that game is dead as fuck. Good move to drop that for the new hotness, KOF 13

For comparison sake, all the entrants

AE - 426
Mahvel - 401
SCV - 251
KOF - 169
MK9 - 128
Tekken 6 - 96
Melty Blood - 73
BlazBlu - 56
3S - 49
GG - 25

So definitely not on the same level of the Capcom juggernauts and the latest Namco game, but leading all the anime games/MK9!

Also, Melty with more entrants then BB? Damn, that game is dead as fuck. Good move to drop that for the new hotness, KOF 13

These number aren't really surprising though.

These number aren't really surprising though.

It is with how loudmouth the Blazblue fans were when it came to how much superior their game was. I honestly enjoyed KOF 12 for what it was, but they would never shut the hell up about their game. I guess the online is so good that they can continue to be shut ins and never go out and actually play the game face to face.

I wonder how much more intense the games would be if I could get more then a yellow connection on KOF 13 though.

Coopa

Neo Member
Come and watch guys. Be sure to put the resolution to 480+ to avoid lag issues with sound. N4US says hi btw.

alstein

In pool 4 for KOF today. Looks like a pool of death at the top, but a creamy middle.

I think I've got a good shot at reaching Kane, Giby, or Fubarduck, but will end up getting posterized when I do so.

N4Us

Just got word Duc is eliminated.

Any other upsets happen in KOF? Slept in way late today so I missed the streaming.

Top Bottom