• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Ive never really been a fan of any of the Kiseki battle themes minus a few

Not catchy enough

Cold Steel Victory theme though.... shazam

Aters

I'm not sure what game you played Aters, but Rean is far from a character who single-handedly resolves everything while others just sit & watch, at least in Cold Steel I. He is the leader of the group and a focus of the story, sure, but almost everything he does in Trails of Cold Steel I is a group effort. He consults other people in the party, they go through issues together & other people come up with ideas/ways to resolve things or are more knowledgeable about some things in different situations that make them more valuable to the group than Rean is at those moments.

He doesn't even win all that many times in Cold Steel I, other than against a few people who are students themselves. Most of the time they are just good enough (as a group) to manage to hold their ground until some more experienced people/reinforcements arrive to save them. Even when (Cold Steel I)
he technically COULD maybe beat the guardian in the old school building alone with his Dark Super Saiyan power-up, he calms down and eventually beats it with the help of Crow.

Sen II.
Giant robot everywhere, and the party members can't do anything about them. Also, he finally gains control of his dark force.
I forgot that Rean was not that powerful back in Sen I.

idalarian

I disliked the new normal battle theme, seemed like a huge stepped down from sophisticated fight. Wish I knew how to mod the game so I could add Sophisticated Fight back in, would have made the experience so much better.

It's super easy to replace tracks in the Steam version. Did you already finish the game? If not (or for anybody interested):

Go to your Steam folder > steamapps > common > Trails in the Sky > BGM

Then find the track you wish to replace (might take a whike though... lol). Take your music file, change the format into .ogg with the same name of the file (EDXXX) and then you're good to go.

I've changed some music that way during my playthrough of SC (I've used some tracks Super arrange soundtrack that were just too awesome to pass up).

I like Strepitoso Fight about as much as I do Sophisticated Fight.

I dont, however, enjoy the EVO version of Strep. It took away the jazz I like about it.

I've changed some music that way during my playthrough of SC (I've used some tracks Super arrange soundtrack that were just too awesome to pass up).
Did you have to manually add loop start/end points (designated by sample count (out of total) based on seconds times sample rate (44.1 kHz in this case))? Ys VI required me to do this for a replacement and it's apparently the same in FC and SC, according to the authors of Zanmai/Evo replacement packs. Audacity makes this easy to do because you find zero crossing points to make the end-loop point seamless with start-loop.

Anyway, FC and SC have really solid OSTs that aren't as spectacular as many other soundtracks but are no less memorable and creative (leitmotif use in particular). FC alone is a big step up in consistency from Cagesong of the Sea because it has way less filler in its second half (too many throwaway tracks in LoH V vs. III and IV). I prefer Sophisticated Fight but Strepitoso's not far off. 3rd meanwhile is awesome but also feels like a dumping ground for Ryo Takeshita's music before he left Falcom, one reason why I want VGMO to interview him.

idalarian

Did you have to manually add loop start/end points (designated by sample count (out of total) based on seconds times sample rate (44.1 kHz in this case))? Ys VI required me to do this for a replacement and it's apparently the same in FC and SC, according to the authors of Zanmai/Evo replacement packs. Audacity makes this easy to do because you find zero crossing points to make the end-loop point seamless with start-loop.

Anyway, FC and SC have really solid OSTs that aren't as spectacular as many other soundtracks but are no less memorable and creative (leitmotif use in particular). FC alone is a big step up in consistency from Cagesong of the Sea because it has way less filler in its second half (too many throwaway tracks in LoH V vs. III and IV). I prefer Sophisticated Fight but Strepitoso's not far off. 3rd meanwhile is awesome but also feels like a dumping ground for Ryo Takeshita's music before he left Falcom, one reason why I want VGMO to interview him.

No I didn't have to put loop start/end points (I wouldn't even know how lol). The music starts over after maybe 3 seconds of silence (which can be kind of awkward when you're used to the original music in-game).

Gotta have to listen to the soundtrack of 3rd and even the older games some day now! I've been interested to play LOH III, IV and V, even with the sub-par translation, since they seem to tell complete and stand-alone stories in one shared-universe but also with some kind of history section that you can unlock as you go through the game.

Thud

I just did the fight I think you are talking about. It was intense. If I hadn't been carrying tons of food crafting ingredients at the time I think I would have been hosed.

Bascially the attack food is super overpowered, there are a couple new foods you can get just before that fight and if you can craft a few of those, you have a good shot at doing what is needed for max BP. It was tough and a bit random even then.

It's a tough cookie alright.

More Sky spoilers aka Play the Games already:

Her inexeperence, slackedness, leaning on others, her lineage, and her Raw Animal Magnetism (ask Josh :p) are constantly used, especially in the exemplary ch. 6 where you see her alone and that sunshine even attracts the aims of Weissman who mistook it for the darkness that led many there plus her delicately defusing of Joshua on the brink.

I put in my "review" that was my GOTY vote here that the repetiton of so much good stuff in SC wore down theming in it (basically no concrete evidence that Ouroboros was active till ch 3 and ch 7 wouldve only been a single tower visit with a round one vs Renne would have done wonders for their mystique as enemes.

When I cast doubt over her Raw Animal Magnetism™, I excluded Joshua. Their interactions are the one thing that always felt genuine to me and it single-handedly raised FC from "pretty good" to "great".

But that aside, [spoilers comparing Sky to Cold Steel]:
I guess I'm just feeling iffy about the notion that Estelle earned her accomplishments that much more compared to Class VII. Physical-wise, both are constantly bailed out; it's just that some of the helpful people actually join Estelle's combat group. However, it's not like Sara and co. didn't monitor and guide Class VII every step of the way, and Estelle's group was still often saved by outside forces including the climaxes of both games.

Don't get me wrong, though. Those are actually part of why I like the series. I somewhat disliked the moments where the games exaggerate both party's accomplishments, like the whole "she's an A-rank bracer! Amazing!" near the end of Sky SC.

DrArchon

OK, I'm playing through Trails in the Sky FC (don't know the Japanese name) and I've run into a road block and I'm not sure where else to turn for help.

It's about the final area/one of the final fights (maybe, I don't know if it's final or not so please don't spoil me about anything that happens after it plot related or otherwise).

So I've been able to cruise through the game pretty easily. I never really needed to grind and I never had any great deal of difficulty with any of the fights in the game, except for the one that you're supposed to lose and the penguin. But, I just got to fight Colonel Richard at the bottom of the ancient whatsit with two robot goons and he beat my ass without even trying. I really just got sense that I wasn't prepared at all for the fight in terms of raw stats (HP/DPS etc). I wasn't doing any damage, he would pop off 1.5k super moves at will, and the robots kept stopping my healing magic. It was brutal.

My guys are all in the mid-30's in terms of levels, so I'll understand if the solution is to grind more levels, but I would appreciate at least knowing how many levels I should grind. Should I be facinging him in the 40's? 50's? If it's any higher than that I'll probably drop the game and look the ending up on YT, so I hope it's not the case.

OK, I'm playing through Trails in the Sky FC (don't know the Japanese name) and I've run into a road block and I'm not sure where else to turn for help.

It's about the final area/one of the final fights (maybe, I don't know if it's final or not so please don't spoil me about anything that happens after it plot related or otherwise).

So I've been able to cruise through the game pretty easily. I never really needed to grind and I never had any great deal of difficulty with any of the fights in the game, except for the one that you're supposed to lose and the penguin. But, I just got to fight Colonel Richard at the bottom of the ancient whatsit with two robot goons and he beat my ass without even trying. I really just got sense that I wasn't prepared at all for the fight in terms of raw stats (HP/DPS etc). I wasn't doing any damage, he would pop off 1.5k super moves at will, and the robots kept stopping my healing magic. It was brutal.

My guys are all in the mid-30's in terms of levels, so I'll understand if the solution is to grind more levels, but I would appreciate at least knowing how many levels I should grind. Should I be facinging him in the 40's? 50's? If it's any higher than that I'll probably drop the game and look the ending up on YT, so I hope it's not the case.

I'm pretty sure I was in my low/mid 40s when I beat the game so yeah.

It's worth noting that SC caps your import level at 40, so they didn't really plan on the player being over Level 40 at the end of FC.

Anywhere between 36-40 should be fine for beating the final boss of the game. Although it's been so long since that fight that I can't really help any with offering strategies for it.

My party was around level 37 during that battle and I don't really remember having much difficulty. Who did you bring, what equipment were you wearing and what's the orbal arrangement?

ZoronMaro

At that point in my game Estelle and Joshua were lvl 39 and everyone else was 37-38. I was definitely over leveled though cause I didn't have the same difficulty you did, but if you're less than 35 maybe do some grinding
if you find some chests, most of them have monsters in them which will give you good XP, and they usually have the best gear in the game, I opened every chest which is why I was so overleveled and breezed through that part.
If nothing else, every time you retry in the game it gets a little bit easier so you could just retry over and over. Sorry I can't give any tactical tips.

DrArchon

OK, so I'm not that far off. That's fantastic to hear. My team of Estelle/Joshua/Agate/Olivier are all about lvl 34-35 give or take, so I'll go grind a couple more levels and look around for more chests with super weapons and kickass armor in them. I found a couple, but probably not all of them, so grabbing that stuff should be a huge help.

Thanks for letting me know!

When I cast doubt over her Raw Animal Magnetism™, I excluded Joshua. Their interactions are the one thing that always felt genuine to me and it single-handedly raised FC from "pretty good" to "great".

But that aside, [spoilers comparing Sky to Cold Steel]:
I guess I'm just feeling iffy about the notion that Estelle earned her accomplishments that much more compared to Class VII. Physical-wise, both are constantly bailed out; it's just that some of the helpful people actually join Estelle's combat group. However, it's not like Sara and co. didn't monitor and guide Class VII every step of the way, and Estelle's group was still often saved by outside forces including the climaxes of both games.

Don't get me wrong, though. Those are actually part of why I like the series. I somewhat disliked the moments where the games exaggerate both party's accomplishments, like the whole "she's an A-rank bracer! Amazing!" near the end of Sky SC.

That's sorta the thing that is and isn't about her. She is a kinda pampered, impulsive hothead early but slooooooooooooooowly gets stronger during FC. It looks like Cassius is going too far by both sheltering yet fast-tracking his daughter, yet the apple didn't fall far from the tree so it both by nepotism and natural skill works out for her. Then she gets the tears and immaturity out of her system in SC to hit Beast Mode, all lengths of hickory upside people's heads and snark for days. :p

It's one of the reasons I'm hungering for 3rd and Azure (and beyond) as I've heard Estelle and Joshua are in those. Seeing that heroes' growth continue would be aces.

One of the things I like about this is kids don't fall ass-backwards into safety but occasionally, but they also ain't like most JRPGs and "LOL ADULTS SO DUMB KID POWRRRRRR". They are definately in the shadows of giants, for now. That goes for Estelle, and for now as far as I can see, Rean and co. too.

OK, so I'm not that far off. That's fantastic to hear. My team of Estelle/Joshua/Agate/Olivier are all about lvl 34-35 give or take, so I'll go grind a couple more levels and look around for more chests with super weapons and kickass armor in them. I found a couple, but probably not all of them, so grabbing that stuff should be a huge help.

Thanks for letting me know!

Yeah, Agate getting his best sword is great, as is anything that boosts Speed and Cast (like for any RT games).

kubricks

I disliked the new normal battle theme, seemed like a huge stepped down from sophisticated fight. Wish I knew how to mod the game so I could add Sophisticated Fight back in, would have made the experience so much better.

I have posted here before saying I hate Sophisticated fight... and now after completing FC and 30hrs in SC, this battle theme somehow got stuck in my head and I kept wishing to have it on SC again. What's the deal with this theme lol!

(But I maintain my opinion that boss theme of FC is crap, as some else mentioned in this thread that this theme belongs to a circus.)

EDIT:
Oh I meant to ask a question here, do bosses in FC/SC have any hidden ep value? Sometimes I feel like winning a certain bosses is just a matter of RNG. There is no hope I can out damage their constant instant healing spell, and that I eventually win because they suddenly do two normal attacks in a row...

Thud

Did you search around for chests? There's some good weapons and armour inside.

Anyway take care of the grunts first and worry about the boss later. Keep getting healed and use accessories that prevent status effects. Pay attention to turn bonusses and steal them away from the enemy.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
3rd Evolution finally has a release date of July and boxart

36d061d284.jpg

omgfloofy

Banned

36d061d284.jpg

....that's not exactly a release date. Just a release month? Just saying that they plan to release it in July 2016.

Also, as a note, there's a flag underneath it that says it may not be the final image. Clearly they've yet to decide on how to place the logo and so forth, and there's a lot more artwork still to be released on the website itself, it looks like, considering that there are some context clues on the front page.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I started FC Evo a while back, and it didn't really impress me too much. Definitely not worth full price if you've already played the originals. The artwork didn't bother me as much as it bothers others, and the voice acting is really nice, but still...

I feel less left out for not getting them in the west, now. I hear the Crossbell Evo games are better, but I wouldn't know.

Aters

36d061d284.jpg

This looks so good!
All the character "redesigns" in FC and SC EVO are pure trash IMO, none of them looks better than the original, but this one is amazing! I wish Falcom will release a EVO2.0 on PS4 and use this new art style.

Hey guys sorry for the noobish question but if I had to play only one of all these, what should it be? Needs to be available in English on ps3/4. I want a good story, towns to visit, as mature as possible characters with good chara designs, good musics and a battle system which doesnt require too much grind and is not shit.

Dio

Banned
Hey guys sorry for the noobish question but if I had to play only one of all these, what should it be? Needs to be available in English on ps3/4. I want a good story, towns to visit, as mature as possible characters with good chara designs, good musics and a battle system which doesnt require too much grind and is not shit.

The only ones available on PS3 in English will be the Cold Steel titles. There are no current Kiseki titles on PS4, and the PS3 Kai versions of earlier titles are Japan only.

Trails of Cold Steel is the one you want (which just released a couple months ago), followed by Trails of Cold Steel II (which is releasing in english in a few months) and the possible PS4 Trails of Cold Steel III.

A minor warning: there are a couple cliches that Cold Steel starts out with, but you will be pleasantly surprised when they're resolved relatively quickly. When the story really gets moving, the political machinations will begin to appear and things will pick up speed until an explosive cliffhanger ending which is making everyone really excited for the second game coming out in English.

I tend to think of it as Falcom tricking the current Japanese game/anime fanbase by using the stereotypes and cliches they understand and love, and hijacking them by giving them real character development and making them a hell of a lot more interesting and mature as time goes on. Falcom is a traditionally conservative game company, and their games reflect the Japanese game market that their titles are made in. Their strength at the moment with Cold Steel is how they expand upon what at first glance, in a lesser game, would be skin-deep pandering.

Young Magus

Yo quick question for those who played SC EVO (ending spoilers)

Did they fuck with the portrait change like they did with FC. More to the point: Did they fuck with Kevin's new last-expression like they did with Joshua's in FC?

Thoraxes

One thing I really loved about the (Sen I End spoilers)
Loa Erebonius fight music
was that it was an part an orchestral arrangement of the pop OP song Ashita e no kodou.

They did it really subtly, and man... the revelation when it hit me that my favorite part with the french horns and vocals trading off parts was the chorus and I made the connections, just holy shit. I had the chills all up and down my body. The way the vocal part of that chorus was stretched out and performed in straight time (versus syncopation) was just divine. Even the lead in is all intact. They even used practically the same phrase structures and phrase sequencing that SC's final boss music did, down to the use of and arrangement of key, main thematic material. It's so god damn effective and so powerful the way it's handled.

I almost want to do an analytical breakdown of it notated with samples lol. Just the sheer amount of motivic and thematic integration in the soundtracks for these games is phenomenal. They really go the extra mile when it comes to the integration of it all too.

Erheller

One thing I really loved about the (Sen I End spoilers)
Loa Erebonius fight music
was that it was an part an orchestral arrangement of the pop OP song Ashita e no kodou.

They did it really subtly, and man... the revelation when it hit me that my favorite part with the french horns and vocals trading off parts was the chorus and I made the connections, just holy shit. I had the chills all up and down my body. The way the vocal part of that chorus was stretched out and performed in straight time (versus syncopation) was just divine. Even the lead in is all intact. They even used practically the same phrase structures and phrase sequencing that SC's final boss music did, down to the use of and arrangement of key, main thematic material. It's so god damn effective and so powerful the way it's handled.

I almost want to do an analytical breakdown of it notated with samples lol. Just the sheer amount of motivic and thematic integration in the soundtracks for these games is phenomenal. They really go the extra mile when it comes to the integration of it all too.

I'd love to see this, honestly. I just gave the piece a listen (it is called "A Great Power," right?) and my untrained ears can't pick up the similarities between it and the OP song.

Thoraxes

I'd love to see this, honestly. I just gave the piece a listen (it is called "A Great Power," right?) and my untrained ears can't pick up the similarities between it and the OP song.
A Great/Mighty Power, yes.

I'll look into the first part more, however the main part where the vocal OP theme is quoted starts at about 2:57 and goes all the way till the loop repeats at about 4:43.

And yeah, I may actually do that with the music. It'd be fun to brush up on my dictation!

Erheller

I'll look into the first part more, however the main part where the vocal OP theme is quoted starts at about 2:57 and goes all the way till the loop repeats at about 4:43.

And yeah, I may actually do that with the music. It'd be fun to brush up on my dictation!

Oh, wow, it seems so obvious now that you pointed it out. Both of those songs were on my playlist for months and I never made the connection.

Thoraxes

Where in SC's boss music and main theme?

Shine of Eidos ~Sora no Kiseki~ (B-section) Also can be heard in Whereabouts of Hope (also the B-section) if you prefer that arrangement of the song.

Starts here in the final boss music. It's way more obvious in SC's song than it is in CS's, imo, because the material is presented verbatim in terms of rhythm.

If I do a writeup i'll include some kind of tension/phrase-structure graph. Basically the short of it is: original material - cooldown (with organ/vocal theme quoting) - extrapolation of theme in powerful fashion - loop repeat.
Oh, wow, it seems so obvious now that you pointed it out. Both of those songs were on my playlist for months and I never made the connection.
Right? Isn't it so cool how they arranged it for this track?! I can't even describe how awesome I felt when I picked up on it and realized what they did. Always puts a huge grin on my face when I listen to the track.

omgfloofy

Banned
The main theme usually comes up in every final battle theme in the Kiseki series, actually. Cold Steel II's is probably the most intricate. I think Peytral and I spent hours trying to pinpoint the things we were hearing in it when we first heard the song.

Right? Isn't it so cool how they arranged it for this track?!

For your music nerdery, I actually recommend listening to Hidden True Form from SC's soundtrack. That is probably my favorite track in SC's soundtrack simply because it's a rearrangement, and it's SUPER CLEVER.

FC Music Spoiler (in case you can't figure it out):
It's an arrangement of the Tetracyclic Towers track from FC, with the arpeggio system modulated into a minor key. It changes the entire 'feel' of the song in such an amazing way.

Thud

For your music nerdery, I actually recommend listening to Hidden True Form from SC's soundtrack. That is probably my favorite track in SC's soundtrack simply because it's a rearrangement, and it's SUPER CLEVER.

It's an arrangement of the Tetracyclic Towers track from FC, with the arpeggio system modulated into a minor key. It changes the entire 'feel' of the song in such an amazing way.

Clever bastards, I knew I recognized it when I listened to it ingame.

Wow, that's really impressive. I never piked up on that one before. Pretty cool hearing it play out in the song.

Thoraxes

The main theme usually comes up in every final battle theme in the Kiseki series, actually. Cold Steel II's is probably the most intricate. I think Peytral and I spent hours trying to pinpoint the things we were hearing in it when we first heard the song.

I'm going to check this one out when I get home in a little bit!

Edit: Oh yeah! That's real nice! The rhythm of it all is augmented too. I knew something always felt really familiar about it when I played the game, but I never made the connection cause it's slower.

omgfloofy

Banned
Clever bastards, I knew I recognized it when I listened to it ingame.

I think, in the Kiseki series, Falcom has managed to do wonderful things with a narrative leitmotif in the music. I'm convinced that there are even layered clues to stuff in the series in the soundtracks (both musically and in the song titles) and stuff.

I know someone who was able to predict events in one of the games simply through the musical cues that came up in the soundtrack when he heard it.

DrArchon

OK, so I'm back after grinding some and getting some better gear, but I've still got a problem with the final boss (again, no spoilers pls).

I beat Colonel Richard (thanks for all the tips), and like I figured I had to fight some big dumb robot afterwards. I beat that and now I'm fighting some bigger dumber robot that kills my party members in one hit. Seriously, he keeps spamming this one attack that deals almost 3000 damage every time and I don't have enough time to damage him because I'm constantly reviving characters (which also means they keep losing all their CP every time they die so I never get any super moves). Is there any way to deal with this? My whole team is lvl 39 now and I got the best weapons and armor, but as long as they keep dying in one hit I can't win. I got him down to 7000 HP but he kept killing guys so quickly that I couldn't heal the guys taking damage from the drones because I spent all my time reviving.

Any more tips please?

I never much cared for that remix (Hidden True Form) as it laid the arpeggio out in the open with the entire track hinging off that. Liked the Silver Will --> Merciless Savior theming better.

Top Bottom